Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer Pocket Predicament

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
on: March 23, 2018, 09:40:36 PM
Fellow SAK Knights, I have a serious predicament on my hands! The Pioneer is just far too useful a tool for it to be replaced in my EDC. I carry it every day on a pocket dangler clipped to my front right pocket. Lately I have been desiring to also carry a modern one handed opening pocket knife as well, but the Pioneer is taking up the space in my pocket where it would go! I have tried carrying the Pioneer on a belt sheath and clipping the pocket knife to my front right pocket, but the sheath just gets in the way and looks dorky (I'm not a fan of belt sheaths). I have tried carrying a Cadet loose in my pocket (Cadet is 90% as useful as my beloved Pioneer and good enough) and freeing up the corner of my front right pocket that way, but alas having something loose in my pocket like that kinda sucks because it bumps around into my phone and is prone to falling out. I can't carry the Pioneer in my front left pocket because I clip my keys there using the same type of pocket dangler. I refuse to put anything in my back pockets because I hate sitting on stuff in there.

Now I am very tempted to buy an even nicer pocket knife. The ZT 0450 and the Spyderco Mantra are calling to me, but I can't give up my SAK to carry them! (That opener layer is just too damn useful!) Help me SAK Knights, you are my only hope! Can you come up with a carry solution that will allow me to comfortably pack a Pioneer (or Cadet) along with a modern folding knife?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:20:04 PM by GoatDragon »

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: Pioneer Pocket Predicament
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:59 PM
You could

- put the Pioneer in a jacket pocket, or
- keep the Pioneer in your RFP as usual and clip your folder to your waist band (inside), or
- put the Pioneer on a necklace

and there are many more options

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:54:58 PM
Not a problem i have as i always wear trousers with lots of pockets, maybe that's a solution? also try the Pioneer in your back pocket, i don't like sheaths either so i sometimes carry mine in my back pocket and at all times i have a LLP3 torch in the other, you probably wont notice them  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:57:25 PM
Or a skinth pocket organizer!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:26:14 PM
I usually go with a folder in the right and a SAK in the left.

But.....sounds like that is a no-go for you.

You might try both SAK and folder in right front if the SAK if free-ranging and the Folder is clipped. (I do this on occasion, but it is a bit awkward.)

Or make yourself a little pocket caddy for your folder and SAK:

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:14 PM
Nix,
That is awesome.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:38:12 AM
Like those who mentioned above, try those pocket caddies. Here’s a pic I borrowed from google. I’m considering getting this for the times I will carry my 84mm with a 1xAAA light...

Here’s what I just got, a leather slip in pouch given to me by a friend... I find it convenient since my fave SAK sits in the pocket together with my phone... Now my phone is less prone to scratches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:42:04 AM by jaya_man »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 01:05:16 PM
Some have been said, but I hardly see a problem in your situation
The SAK could go....

- in the left pocket, back pocket, coin pocket or any other alternative pockets you have
- clipped via a hanger or P7 clip to your pocket, closer to the center, and the knife clipped at the seam
- in a pocket caddy, pouch, holder or sheath inside the pocket with your knife clipped next to it
- dropped in the pocket, be it the same as the knife pocket or other
- in a necklace or neck sheath
- inside a folding or holding device that keeps it straight in the pocket (like a caddy) in that case I mean something like this one I carry:
- simply pressed against a phone or wallet to keep it vertical in your pocket

as for Ron's recommendation of IWB carry, I do it with some knives but would be wary of carrying a ZT or Mantra in there because of its weak detent and ease of opening, I've heard and seen many horror stories of flippers opening IWB... :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 11:00:29 PM
Move the OH folder. It has a clip, right? Tuck it next to a belt clip, under your belt and above your pants.

Or get a tailor to put better pockets in your pants.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 11:37:26 PM
Iron Raven mentions better pockets. I have several pair of quality pants, the front pockets of which have smaller "pocketlettes" sewn into them from the factory. A lot of quality pants have this feature.

Other than that, I often place my Pioneer in the coin / watch pocket as others have mentioned.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 11:44:02 PM
Just hire a couple of sherpas and you can have all your SAKs with you at all times!
sherpas.jpg
* sherpas.jpg (Filesize: 135.72 KB)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 03:22:50 AM
Inside waistband carry for the folder? I find it pretty comfortable to have something at the 3 o’clock position

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:34:09 AM
Just hire a couple of sherpas and you can have all your SAKs with you at all times!

OK, which one of you guys got my MiniChamp? And don´t tell me it´s at the bottom of your pack!

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 10:57:46 AM
I usually go with a folder in the right and a SAK in the left.

But.....sounds like that is a no-go for you.

You might try both SAK and folder in right front if the SAK if free-ranging and the Folder is clipped. (I do this on occasion, but it is a bit awkward.)

Or make yourself a little pocket caddy for your folder and SAK:

(Image removed from quote.)

We're just ignoring the fact that this seems to be a Spyderco Gayle Bradley next to a SAK, also known as the nice looking workhorse of Spyderco knives (and underappreciated in my own opinion)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 04:28:01 PM
Thanks for all your input fellow SAK Knights , it helped me think outside of the box and come up with a solution. I have moved my keys from their pocket dangler clip to a carabiner hanging off my belt loop at the 8 o'clock position. This frees up my front left pocket to hold my Cadet on its dangler. And that frees up my front right pocket for my beautiful, brand spanking new Spyderco Caly 3.5 in ZDP189 and carbon fiber!  :drool:
CalyCadet.jpg
* CalyCadet.jpg (Filesize: 102.39 KB)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 05:11:44 PM
Good to know you've found your solution, GD.

I also face the same dilemma and currently a pocket caddy is my preferred method. Here's my Spyderco Resilience next to my Pioneer Solo

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 05:40:41 PM
These caddies are inspiring me. I made simple sheaths for my Pioneer and Farmer out of seatbelt strapping sewn with dental floss. But they still go horizontal. A double-pocket sheath sounds the deal. I tried one sheath to hang into the pocket, but be on my belt. Almost worked, but out beach-combing I bend a lot, and it wasn't comfortable.

New project--a caddy for my Farmer.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:41:44 PM by israelpiper »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 06:18:18 PM
...my beautiful, brand spanking new Spyderco Caly 3.5 in ZDP189 and carbon fiber!

Niiiice! I'm planning on getting a ZDP Endura or something like that, when my bank account has recovered from recent SAK/Böker binges. (Which could take several decades)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 06:35:55 PM
As others have said , watch pocket  :tu:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 07:45:58 PM
...my beautiful, brand spanking new Spyderco Caly 3.5 in ZDP189 and carbon fiber!

Niiiice! I'm planning on getting a ZDP Endura or something like that, when my bank account has recovered from recent SAK/Böker binges. (Which could take several decades)

Oh yeah  :tu:

I got a screamin' deal on it at my local knife store too. Less than 3/4ths the going rate on any website I can find it for sale on!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 08:29:01 PM
That Caly 3.5 is droolworthy :drool: The Mantra is currently my pick for a going away (from a knife unfriendly jurisdiction) present but that Caly is giving me second thoughts :think:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 08:45:10 PM
That Caly 3.5 is droolworthy :drool: The Mantra is currently my pick for a going away (from a knife unfriendly jurisdiction) present but that Caly is giving me second thoughts :think:

The Mantra (either 1 or 2) was on my short list when I went into the knife store. I handled the Mantra 2 at the store and was disappointed with the poor flipping action (they were out of Mantra 1's for me to try). The ZT 0450 and 0460 really flipped it to shame, and I probably would have grabbed one of those, but I really wanted a full flat grind for extreme slicing action. After looking around at available knives for an hour or so I saw this little Caly 3.5 hiding on the back of a shelf. I had never even heard of the Caly before, but when I got it in my hand it was a perfect fit, and the action was smooth as butter, so it came home with me.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 10:41:42 PM
I really, really like CPM M4 but laminated ZDP with carbon fibre scales :ahhh

I may just have to pick up a cheap automatic while I decide :)

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 03:47:57 AM
I really, really like CPM M4 but laminated ZDP with carbon fibre scales :ahhh

I may just have to pick up a cheap automatic while I decide :)
Any idea what the functional difference between ZDP189 and M4 is? They both sound like pretty similar steels. (High hardness, excellent edge retention, less than perfect rust resistance)

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 03:02:09 PM
ZDP should be more corrosion resistant but for me the more important property is toughness. I'm a big fan of very acute edge angles, 6 - 10 degrees per side, and would worry more about chipping ZDP than I would M4. I do have a Spyderco Mule in M4 which has probably an 8 degree per side edge and I've used it very roughly with no edge damage. I have never owned a knife in ZDP so I can't say anything from personal experience.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 06:27:42 PM
The way I address this problem is just carrying one knife in the pocket, lately it's been the SI.  There's a reason you're so attached to it.  Keep it where's it's always been and keep the other knife in a bag, coat pocket, or car.

Just my advice  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 09:52:32 PM
The way I address this problem is just carrying one knife in the pocket, lately it's been the SI.  There's a reason you're so attached to it.  Keep it where's it's always been and keep the other knife in a bag, coat pocket, or car.

Just my advice  :cheers:

That is fine advice Sir Corkscrew, but it is too late for me now. My new Spyderco Caly hasn't left my pocket since I got it last weekend. That being said, between my Pioneers and Cadets, at least one of them hasn't left my pocket for the last 6 years. Hey, I have two front pockets, so I can carry two knives!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 11:13:27 PM
hey, some of us are lucky enough to have two back pockets too!!  :ahhh  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 12:47:44 AM
hey, some of us are lucky enough to have two back pockets too!!  :ahhh  :D

I can't stand sitting on stuff in my back pockets!!  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31