Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

eBay Wenger security 52 seller problem

Offline rollandcone

eBay Wenger security 52 seller problem
on: March 22, 2018, 02:30:44 PM

Dear SAK collectors:
On Mar 12, I bought a "brand new" Wenger security 52 SAK for a Germany eBay seller, renni69.
eBay link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/132535417801

However, I receive the SAK today, The main blade has a dirty sticker stick on it, knife scale has obvious scratch mark, the saw tip has a blue mark. I think the seller can not claim this item as a brand new condition (the pictures are showing in this post).

I have already file a return request on eBay, and contact the seller. However, the seller did not reply my e-mail. I will give this seller a negative feedback. If this seller still remain un-contacted, how should I do next? I just want to return this knife and ask my money back!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:32:13 PM by rollandcone »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: eBay Wenger security 52 seller problem
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 02:38:10 PM
That certainly doesn't look brand new!

I'd contact the seller again telling them what you want to do and that you will escalate it with EBay if you don't get a response. If you leave negative feedback there is no incentive for the seller to do anything about the SAK.

Good luck!  :salute:

By the way, welcome to the forum. Stick around - we're a friendly bunch.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 02:43:35 PM
If you insist you can file a claim with PayPal, if you paid with PayPal. I think the seller has brought this upon himself, stating the item is new.

However: you can probably remove the blue spot and the sticker without much trouble, which leaves you with the scratches on the scales.
Are you planning on using the knife? In that case you can ask yourself how important it really is that the scales are free from scratches. I can tell you these scales scratch VERY easy, so if you buy a brand new one and start using it I can pretty much guarantee that there will already be tiny scratches after 1 day of carrying it.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 02:54:03 PM
It appears that he's selling another one, so possibly he used a stock photo (not a good idea in my opinion unless you state it in the ad).
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wenger-Security-52-Neu-Schweizer-Taschenmesser-kein-Victorinox-sehr-selten/132546970327?hash=item1edc6a42d7:g:VTwAAOSwKp1asqFI

I do think that eBay will guarantee your satisfaction. 
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

Offline rollandcone

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 02:56:40 PM
Thanks glenfiddich1983.....
Your opinion is really helpful. The purpose I bought this knife is not for really use it, but for collecting purpose. The main issue I care is, in the ebay auction page, the 100% positive German seller claim this SAK is "NEW" condition, but when I received it today in Taiwan, this SAK is obvious not brand new.

I will go to Paypal and see how can I file a claim to get my money back and return this knife.   

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:57:05 PM
If a buyer has a half-way legit beef then ebay and paypal usually side with the buyer (but it can take time to sort out).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:08:22 PM
It appears that he's selling another one, so possibly he used a stock photo (not a good idea in my opinion unless you state it in the ad).
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wenger-Security-52-Neu-Schweizer-Taschenmesser-kein-Victorinox-sehr-selten/132546970327?hash=item1edc6a42d7:g:VTwAAOSwKp1asqFI

I do think that eBay will guarantee your satisfaction.

Quite dumb from this seller. Since on the pictures in the ad rollandcone mentions there is no sticker visible, it is quite obvious that the sold knife is not the one in the pictures in the ad.

If you sell an item on eBay you should always place pictures of the actual item (unless it's REALLY sealed and new in box and you obviously use stock photo's or something alike). Not using pictures of the actual item is a recipe for trouble. Hopefully this seller will learn that now  ::)

I myself also sell a lot on eBay and I ALWAYS use pictures of the actual item. Even if it's new or as new and I have several of the same knife, I make pictures of each individual knife. And even most new/as new items I sell as "used" if there's even the most tiny scratch visible.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 03:10:49 PM
I will go to Paypal and see how can I file a claim to get my money back and return this knife.
Use eBay instead to start the process.
Go to "My eBay" select "Purchase History".
Then go to the item and on the right click where it says "More Actions", then select "Return this Item"

That will start the process after you follow some of the prompts.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:12:58 PM by FolderBeholder »

Offline rollandcone

Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:11:54 PM
Dear All:
1. I have go to the eBay Wenger Security 52 transaction page and open a return request on eBay. Also, on this return request page, I have already upload the photos of what I receive today on ebay for them to investigate.

2. I also go to Paypal and try to file a claim, but the paypal system re-direct me to ebay and show me that I have already file a return request.

It is really disappointment that a 100% seller send me such SAK and totally dis-match his auction description. However, I am very very very impressive that multitool.org community is warm and a lot of people there try to help me.   

Offline rollandcone

Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 03:14:40 PM

Go to "My eBay" select "Purchase History".
Then go to the item and on the right click where it says "More Actions", then select "Return this Item"

That will start the process after you follow some of the prompts.

Thanks FolderBeholder... I have done this process and I feel so warm because of you guys help... If ebay finally resolve this case, should I leave a negative feedback to this seller?

Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 03:20:21 PM
For me, if the seller refunds my money promptly, I usually don't leave feedback at all instead of leaving a negative feedback, but that's just me.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 03:24:18 PM
If you insist you can file a claim with PayPal, if you paid with PayPal. I think the seller has brought this upon himself, stating the item is new.

However: you can probably remove the blue spot and the sticker without much trouble, which leaves you with the scratches on the scales.
Are you planning on using the knife? In that case you can ask yourself how important it really is that the scales are free from scratches. I can tell you these scales scratch VERY easy, so if you buy a brand new one and start using it I can pretty much guarantee that there will already be tiny scratches after 1 day of carrying it.

Years ago I found some Wenger Classic 132's at a local army surplus store.  They were all brandnew, in their original boxes, sitting in a display cabinet.   I asked the guy at the counter if I could have a look at them, and from the 6 or 7 that they had, only one was mint, all the others had scratches on the scales (some only minor, others quite bad). 

I'm not saying that in this case, the knife wasn't used.  I'm only saying that these "older" Wenger scales seem to scratch easier than the current Vic scales.

Offline rollandcone

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 03:29:04 PM
For me, if the seller refunds my money promptly, I usually don't leave feedback at all instead of leaving a negative feedback, but that's just me.

Dear FolderBeholder:
I see. I am still waiting the message from seller. However, if the seller did not contact me, Mar 26, eBay will step in to this case. If I get my money refund, I will not leave any feedback. I think this is also a good chance to let me learn the proper process to resolve this case.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 03:37:02 PM
I've bought new items from shops which have previously been fingered by other customers. Not every "new" item is exactly as it should be from the factory.
I think in this case, given the distance and cost of postage, I would just shrug and accept it. Is it really worth getting upset about? Probably not.
Negative feedback I would save for only the most serious cases of bad behaviour. So far this doesn't look like it deserves a negative.

Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 04:35:46 PM
Negative feedback I would save for only the most serious cases of bad behaviour. So far this doesn't look like it deserves a negative.
I agree.  The closest I ever got to leaving negative feedback was with this Picnicker.  What arrived was baby clothes instead of the SAK.  I think the switch may have happened in a post office (possibly), instead of a dishonest seller, so I didn't leave negative feedback.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70983.0.html

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:39 PM
Just like FB, if a seller refunds me after an issue, I leave no feedback at all.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:08 AM
Welcome to the forum rollandcone
This is an amazing place to be.

If I may comment on your thread. Personally I think you've overreacted.
Yes the seller should have listed this as "NEW other" and then mentioned the knife was shop soiled. And yes, the seller should have responded. However, none of us here know how you worded your message to the seller. If you've gone off alarmingly and threatened negative feedback plus reporting him to eBay regardless that the seller has achieved 100% feedback in the past.
Wenger ceased production in 2013.....that's only 5yrs ago! And already we are witnessing buyers bidding for Wenger knives often quite happy to pay far more than the original RRP. Can you imagine what it will be like in another 10-15yrs?? Most members here would not part with Wengers now. The fact that the knife you purchased has the price sticker on the blade, is to me a major bonus. It's boxed and although the scales do have faint scratches these will probably polish out. I honestly think you've overreacted.

If you're still not happy, PM me and I'll refund your payment and cover postage to the UK. I'll take that in a heartbeat. I love the fact it's still boxed with price sticker on the blade. For me that's a great collectors piece.
It's a pity you don't appreciate it more.

:tu:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:05:14 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 01:40:33 PM

Yes the seller should have listed this as "NEW other" and then mentioned the knife was shop soiled. And yes, the seller should have responded. However, none of us here know how you worded your message to the seller. If you've gone off alarmingly and threatened negative feedback plus reporting him to eBay regardless that the seller has achieved 100% feedback in the past.
Wenger ceased production in 2013.....that's only 5yrs ago! And already we are witnessing buyers bidding for Wenger knives often quite happy to pay far more than the original RRP. Can you imagine what it will be like in another 10-15yrs?? Most members here would not part with Wengers now. The fact that the knife you purchased has the price sticker on the blade, is to me a major bonus. It's boxed and although the scales do have faint scratches these will probably polish out. I honestly think you've overreacted.

If you're still not happy, PM me and I'll refund your payment and cover postage to the UK. I'll take that in a heartbeat. I love the fact it's still boxed with price sticker on the blade. For me that's a great collectors piece.

very valid points,
worth thinking about.

I agree and well said tosh!   :like: :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 02:01:40 PM
+ 1 to what Tosh said.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 02:52:24 PM
Some people could care less that Wengers aren't made any more though - they may just want to receive what they were led to believe they were paying for.

The item was in pretty shoddy condition to be advertised as new and I don't blame the OP for being upset about it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:59 PM
Some people could care less that Wengers aren't made any more though - they may just want to receive what they were led to believe they were paying for.

The item was in pretty shoddy condition to be advertised as new and I don't blame the OP for being upset about it.

Ofcourse you are welcome to your views
Personally calling the condition "shoddy"  is a trifle overboard. The price sticker!! Is what it is....a sticker stating the price. Clearly it was displayed with the tools open otherwise why fit the sticker on the blade. The blue tip on the saw is possibly where it's caught something during window dressing in the shop. And the faint scratches on the scales are exactly the reason why Wenger 85mm knives usually come with cellophane covered scales to prevent the inside of cardboard boxes scuffing the scales.
Please try to bear in mind, when this knife was manufactured Wenger was in full swing. No one would have purchased this back then for the same reason they are purchasing it now.
Yes, it's now achieved collectors status only because of the events within the past 5years.
I'll say it again, I'm more than happy to buy this off rollandcone for what he paid and cover shipping to the UK.

i honestly think its a great knife and the blade sticker tells a story all by itself.

Brilliant.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:04:11 PM by tosh »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 03:41:54 PM
The sticker just needs 10 seconds soaking in lighter fluid and the blade will look 100% perfect and stickerless.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 07:33:12 PM
OK, a bit off topic but I was expecting something completely different when I opened the thread

By the title of it I thought I was going to see a member telling us "Beware, I've found an eBay seller called security 52 and I've had problems with him..." :rofl:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 07:59:16 PM
i honestly think its a great knife and the blade sticker tells a story all by itself.

I agree about the sticker.  I am always saddened when I see a box that has the sticker torn off not revealing its original price.
My preference is a SAK in its original box with sticker in tack and original receipt, I rarely find them with original receipt.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 07:59:41 PM

At $25 he paid a reasonable, a cheap price even for a well kept user knife with such functions,  yet alone for a discontinued model in an almost new condition, as flawless ones honestly probably don't even exist anywhere out of established collections, at least in Finland even designations of "new" or "like new" come with the implication that if the item is discontinued the standard is dropped a bit.

Or not really dropped even at this point, if you bought this one when it was in production, from the display it would have probably been full price, it has no operational defects and minor visual defects,, and it's a tool, not a painting after all.
Sorry if I'll make rollandcone reconsider his position tosh, you really seem to want to snag this one.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 08:52:07 PM
Well, the knife is 'new' which means it has never been used. I think the seller is right concerning this.
Personally I would NOT remove the price sticker. As stated before, it is part of the knife's history.
The scratches are probably from rattling and scuffing during opening and closing of the retail store's drawers where the knife was kept.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:05:56 PM by EMZ »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 09:39:30 PM

At $25 he paid a reasonable, a cheap price even for a well kept user knife with such functions,  yet alone for a discontinued model in an almost new condition, as flawless ones honestly probably don't even exist anywhere out of established collections, at least in Finland even designations of "new" or "like new" come with the implication that if the item is discontinued the standard is dropped a bit.

Or not really dropped even at this point, if you bought this one when it was in production, from the display it would have probably been full price, it has no operational defects and minor visual defects,, and it's a tool, not a painting after all.
Sorry if I'll make rollandcone reconsider his position tosh, you really seem to want to snag this one.

On the Contrary, having just checked a dated inventory it seems I have a 52 model (albeit Evo S)
The price rollandcone paid was, according to the link in his opening post.... 56euros plus postage.
I'm not out to snag anything, but reading his post it seemed he had buyers remorse and wished to return for a refund, I merely offered to purchase it from him if he had no joy with the original seller.
I can assure you Gath, Wengers are certainly not in short supply in this household  :D :tu:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:43:07 PM by tosh »

fi Offline Gath

Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:47 PM
I doubt they're in short supply, but you know, that's the exact kind of collection that always needs a little more. And if postage was reasonable that's still not hardly a high price for a new condition tool, at a thin premium compared to the closest production equivalent.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%