Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs and Spreads

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Re: SAKs and Spreads
Reply #120 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:38 PM
I think I heard once about "mince in my toasties" in about 1989.

Apologies for raking it up from the depths !  :whistle:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #121 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:05 PM
There's always a jar of marmite in our house.  Delicious!

Just the one ? You need a back up jar Mags just in case.

I do favour Marmite over Vegemite but they both deserve an honourable mention. I've not tried it on a toasted cheese sandwich cos that's what Lea & Perrins is for (another high octane, no naked lights, culinary companion).

Which reminds me of a joke involving two rabbits with the punchline "No, it's mixingmytoasties* ..." but I have forgotten the rest of the joke so it can't have been that memorable.... :facepalm:

*myxamatosis being a disease of rabbits.
Love that joke Bill - haven't heard it for yonks.

I'll get on to sorting out that back up jar  :salute:

More importantly Mags ... what size of jar ? Dainty / Casual user  / Committed / Hardcore / Extreme ? I think we should be told ....
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #122 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:41 PM
The Nutella GAW:

(Image removed from quote.)

The black one...

That's just Nuts !  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #123 on: May 06, 2018, 08:21:13 PM

I do favour Marmite over Vegemite but they both deserve an honourable mention. I've not tried it on a toasted cheese sandwich cos that's what Lea & Perrins is for (another high octane, no naked lights, culinary companion).

Which reminds me of a joke involving two rabbits with the punchline "No, it's mixingmytoasties* ..." but I have forgotten the rest of the joke so it can't have been that memorable.... :facepalm:

More importantly Mags ... what size of jar ? Dainty / Casual user  / Committed / Hardcore / Extreme ? I think we should be told ....
I say jar, It's a bucket really.  I go for the MarMighty 20ltr bucket from the cash and carry.  Lasts about a week. My old grandad said you can't have too much yeast. Right up to the moment he exploded.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: May 07, 2018, 03:02:25 AM
John's Custom Corned Beef and Onion Spread:
I've attached a PDF of the recipe for this

We start with a can of Corned Beef with Onion and a Small Tinker
(those of you who have seen a can like this and my black scale Tinkers know why it was selected and the Phillips is already deployed)

But before that, the can opener is used to puncture four small holes around the top (why will become clear very soon):

Aha, a can that can be opened with a Can Key, and its entire contents will be required! And the Phillips on this Small Tinker just happens to be a Can Key Phillips!!

We roll up the pre-scored strip around the can using the Can Key Phillips:

We get to the end of the strip, wiggle it a bit, the strip comes off and the bottom of the can plops off:

Now the reason for the four small holes in the top should become clear. They allow air to backfill the top of the can as the contents are plopped out into a mixing bowl:

Using the recipe, the other ingredients (and there are not just a few) are added and thoroughly mixed with the corned beef with onion:
Additional note. I now re-hydrate the dried minced onion and dried minced garlic in a small teacup with just a bit of water and about a minute in the microwave on full nuke. Keeps it from drawing moisture out of the mix.

When all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed in, I store it in a one pint all Jar (aka Mason Jar). Note the lid is a one-piece plastic lid. These can be purchased for canning jars if they're simply going to be used to store things in a pantry or refrigerator. For canning you must still use the two-piece metal lids. This is going into the refrigerator, so it gets a plastic lid. It will keep a month or so provided you don't leave it sitting out during an entire meal. There's always just a bit more than will fit into the jar, so I use a second, small container for the overflow.

But first, we must test it to ensure it's edible. Just happen to have some small bagels handy. What else to split it with than a Victorinox knife!

The small overflow container contents aren't going to last very long. The bagel consumed about half what was in it

There we have it, a fully assembled bagel with John's Custom Corned Beef with Onion Spread:

Was going to show the empty plate but just picture the one above with nothing on it, not even a crumb  :D

See the attached PDF for the recipe. Adjust to your own taste. I added about half-dozen dashes of Tabasco and a half-teaspoon of ground mustard to it this time, plus the suggested quarter-teaspoon of red cayenne pepper. You'll note from some of the other ingredients it's got a little bite to it.

Enjoy
John
* Corned Beef Sandwich Spread Recipe.pdf (Filesize: 197.36 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #126 on: May 07, 2018, 03:32:14 AM
 :drool:

Will have to try this!  :tu:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #127 on: May 07, 2018, 06:46:13 AM
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #128 on: May 07, 2018, 08:03:29 AM

I say jar, It's a bucket really.  I go for the MarMighty 20ltr bucket from the cash and carry.  Lasts about a week. My old grandad said you can't have too much yeast. Right up to the moment he exploded.

:rofl:

Glad to hear it (the bucket that is - man after my own heart). Too much loafing around by grandad clearly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:04:51 AM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #129 on: May 07, 2018, 08:47:31 PM
Going to make Pesto tonight...
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #130 on: May 07, 2018, 10:40:27 PM
Pics! Recipe!  :tu: :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #131 on: May 07, 2018, 10:41:03 PM
indubitably!  :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #132 on: May 07, 2018, 11:05:11 PM
My old grandad said you can't have too much yeast. Right up to the moment he exploded.
My Grandad had to go to hospital.
They spread lard all over his back.
He went downhill quite quickly after that.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: May 08, 2018, 02:30:24 AM

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #134 on: May 08, 2018, 04:38:13 AM
Just got done and it's pretty tasty

Ingredients
4 oz. fresh basil
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. Coarse sea salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Basically you just put everything in the food processor and then process

It's probably a good idea to chop the almonds a bit first.... if you're using pine nuts it doesn't really matter but I had to do some extra processing because of my failure to chop up the almonds first

El Cadet helped me chop a little garlic and was there for moral support
IMG_20180507_193053.jpg
* IMG_20180507_193053.jpg (Filesize: 201.57 KB)
IMG_20180507_193118.jpg
* IMG_20180507_193118.jpg (Filesize: 239.16 KB)
IMG_20180507_193141.jpg
* IMG_20180507_193141.jpg (Filesize: 270.85 KB)
IMG_20180507_193221.jpg
* IMG_20180507_193221.jpg (Filesize: 177.25 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #135 on: May 08, 2018, 05:03:34 AM
 :like:

Love the use of almonds in lieu of pine nuts. I'll give that a try.  :tu:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: May 08, 2018, 08:10:22 AM
Just got done and it's pretty tasty

Ingredients
4 oz. fresh basil
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. Coarse sea salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Basically you just put everything in the food processor and then process

It's probably a good idea to chop the almonds a bit first.... if you're using pine nuts it doesn't really matter but I had to do some extra processing because of my failure to chop up the almonds first

El Cadet helped me chop a little garlic and was there for moral support
:2tu:

:like:

Almonds are great. Wondering what that would be like with cashews, walnuts or pecans . . . hmmm . . . worth an experiment or two or three

John
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:17:54 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #137 on: May 08, 2018, 09:16:36 AM
Pretty much awl the nuts will work,  just different textures and flavors. The almonds have a nice crunch to them. I've tried cashews and walnuts which aren't so crunchy but are tasty .  I started using different nuts cuz pine nuts are usually so darn expensive

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #138 on: May 09, 2018, 08:34:37 PM
Pretty much awl the nuts will work,  just different textures and flavors. The almonds have a nice crunch to them. I've tried cashews and walnuts which aren't so crunchy but are tasty .  I started using different nuts cuz pine nuts are usually so darn expensive

I hear that. Pine nuts are crazy expensive and cut into my knife budget...... :facepalm:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #139 on: May 09, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
My old grandad said you can't have too much yeast. Right up to the moment he exploded.
My Grandad had to go to hospital.
They spread lard all over his back.
He went downhill quite quickly after that.
:rofl:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #140 on: May 12, 2018, 08:18:59 PM
Seeing what awl the fuss is about...

And holy smurf,  this is pretty darn good
IMG_20180512_111407.jpg
* IMG_20180512_111407.jpg (Filesize: 210.72 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #141 on: May 13, 2018, 02:00:23 PM
OK so I told you a while back that my Cafeteria sold Marmite with their menus, I finally remembered to take a pic today
 :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #142 on: May 13, 2018, 03:49:11 PM
OK so I told you a while back that my Cafeteria sold Marmite with their menus, I finally remembered to take a pic today

But you didn't buy any TP! Try it- It's delish  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #143 on: May 13, 2018, 10:44:58 PM

But you didn't buy any TP! Try it- It's delish  :tu:

+1 Trust Mags on this.  Apparently it's good at discouraging biting insects. I presume you don't have to hit them with the jar ....
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #144 on: May 13, 2018, 11:07:31 PM
Now... does it cause or cure mouth ulcers?  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #145 on: May 23, 2018, 11:56:20 PM
Seeing what awl the fuss is about...

And holy smurf,  this is pretty darn good

Welcome to the happy side of the street!   :gimme:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #146 on: May 24, 2018, 02:00:38 AM

Recently tried sunflower butter, it was delicious. I also like Kalamata tapenade. Pine nuts for pesto though, must have.  ;)

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #147 on: May 25, 2018, 10:40:03 PM
Can't believe I missed this thread! So many yummy things posted here.

Where do I start... Well since I'm going to eat pesto tonight... The original Genovese pesto recipe has pine nuts of course. In the city of Genova people will get very passionate about using  traditional ingredients and each family will have their own slightly different version of hand made pesto. However, a lot of industrial made pesto use other nuts instead, the most common of which being cashew nuts.
Also, using a blender is very frowned upon in Genova. The reason for this is the blender blades overheat basil leaves and alters their taste. For best results, a marble mortar has to be used. Genovese families usually have beautiful old ones used for generarations, pieces of art really.

Next: 'nduja! At the beginning of this mouth-watering thred, sobrassada was mentioned. The Italian spelling is soppressata, and it is indeed a type of cold cuts (as Nix correctly remembers) from the South. However, the same term is sometimes used for the spread more commonly called 'nduja, a spread from Calabria made with pork fat and entrails and a lot of hot pepper. I think this is the red-colored spread Peacent was thinking of.
By the way, Peacent: yes, Ferrero Rocher are from the same Ferrero that makes Nutella. And they are delicious.

As for the black-and-white Nutella-a-like that was pictured, my memories of it relate to school summer camps, where it was used for breakfast instead of the more expensive original. It wasn't bad but I never understood what the hell the white part was. I've tried several other good hazelnut chocolate spreads over the years, but for me Nutella is the one and only!

Lastly, my brother has just given me a jar of Marmite he got from Brussels. I'm going to try it soon and report back!
And that peanut butter&ham sandwich looks good, I'll have to give it a try!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:47:35 PM by shadowrider »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #148 on: May 25, 2018, 10:47:58 PM
 :tu:

Pictures!  :rant:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #149 on: May 26, 2018, 09:13:09 AM