Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs and Spreads

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Re: SAKs and Spreads
Reply #60 on: March 26, 2018, 06:51:01 PM
And what did we learn today?

Nutella was created (not really in the form we know now, but I bet you can find the full story online) at the end of world war 2.
So that...

And that Fast Bill isn't that fast :pok:

:rofl:

Too true. But I put my beauty sleep ahead of Nutella  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: March 26, 2018, 06:52:45 PM

Nutella was created (not really in the form we know now, but I bet you can find the full story online) at the end of world war 2.
So that...

Better then using Nutella during a beauty sleep :ahhh

So, not-so-Fast Bill :whistle:
Are you going to veto Nix' decision?

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #62 on: March 26, 2018, 06:55:02 PM

So that...

Better then using Nutella during a beauty sleep :ahhh

So, not-so-Fast Bill :whistle:
Are you going to veto Nix' decision?

Good heavens no. I don't think his question was precise enough for him to insist on the Brand. :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #63 on: March 26, 2018, 06:56:08 PM
Late to the game but I know your love for peanut butter Bill! :D

You have much to answer for Barry Rowland  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #64 on: March 26, 2018, 07:01:30 PM

Sandwiches containing marmalade are always called Paddingtons in this household. And I'm a thick cut chap by the way, what about you?

By the way how did you get on with the Compact  as an instrument of spreading? Any thoughts on the utility / inconvenience of the blade point. other thank for spearing chunks of orange from the jar?

Strictly thick-cut here. Anything else is a missed opportunity in my view.

The Compact did a marvelous job spreading the marmalade. A wee bit of technique is required. I find the spear-point blade makes a good marmalade extraction device, limited primarily by it's length and the depth of the jar.

When applying the marmalade to the toast I use the knife in an edge-first manner, being mindful to have the edge angled up and away from the toast to avoid any unintended reshaping of the toast. Wiped the blade clean (-ish) on the edge of the toast.  :salute:

That is a Masterclass right there.  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #65 on: March 26, 2018, 07:05:16 PM
I believe that peanut butter requires a real butter knife. I always carry a small one in my backpack. SAK shown for size.
DSC00204-peanut-butter-25.jpg
* DSC00204-peanut-butter-25.jpg (Filesize: 341.73 KB)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #66 on: March 26, 2018, 09:03:42 PM
I believe that peanut butter requires a real butter knife. I always carry a small one in my backpack. SAK shown for size.

Have you ever tried the butter knife on a Spirit ? I think it would do a turn
 :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #67 on: March 26, 2018, 09:14:35 PM

Have you ever tried the butter knife on a Spirit ? I think it would do a turn
 :think:

I don´t have one. I´ve never been a fan of plier multitools.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: March 27, 2018, 06:29:04 PM
The Navaja is excellent for spreading Nutella, the Opinel is great for jams and marmalade, the DofE i use for peanut butter and the little tiny one gives you just about the right amount of Marmite   ;)

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #69 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:06 PM
The Navaja is excellent for spreading Nutella, the Opinel is great for jams and marmalade, the DofE i use for peanut butter and the little tiny one gives you just about the right amount of Marmite   ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

No you've got that wrong. That should be Marmite, marmalade and jams, peanut butter and Nutella  :pok:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:51 PM
 :rofl: it's for a Sandwich, you only need a tiny amount, it's not like you are tarring the road with it...although you probably could use it to fill potholes, sorry no..Nutella is the food of the Gods so it gets the big knife :salute:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #71 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:03 PM
Without wishing to distress Ron Who too much I decided to use my purple Pioneer in todays SAK Spread Suitability Survey. Purely for the purposes of science you'll understand.

Todays spread was peanut butter. Consistency dry. Peanut content 97% and Crunchy. The bread in test was a seeded sliced loaf which was quite soft and moist in texture.

Using the main blade of the Pioneer I was able to liberate a decent amount of peanut butter from the jar. This brand of peanut butter is fairly dry and so it held nicely to the blade but was then a bit tricky to spread onto the surface on the bread. The texture of the peanut butter also saved me from any awkward spread dispersal over the body of the SAK or clogging and made cleaning straightforward.

Given the softness of the bread I needed to be careful not to stab the slice. Best results were achieved using a wiping action with the main blade angled at about 20-30 degrees to the bread surface pressing down slightly during the sweep of the blade.

Overall I'd give the Pioneer a Good rating. At 93mm it's got an effective jar reach which also means the risk of spread dispersal and clogging can be reduced. The blade tip however presents a risk with a soft sliced loaf and care in application of the spread is essential. This lets the overall score down.

IMG_0532.jpg
* IMG_0532.jpg (Filesize: 285.47 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #72 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:34 PM
:rofl: it's for a Sandwich, you only need a tiny amount, it's not like you are tarring the road with it...although you probably could use it to fill potholes, sorry no..Nutella is the food of the Gods so it gets the big knife :salute:

:cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #73 on: March 27, 2018, 09:41:41 PM
Without wishing to distress Ron Who too much I decided to use my purple Pioneer in todays SAK Spread Suitability Survey. Purely for the purposes of science you'll understand.

Todays spread was peanut butter. Consistency dry. Peanut content 97% and Crunchy. The bread in test was a seeded sliced loaf which was quite soft and moist in texture.

Using the main blade of the Pioneer I was able to liberate a decent amount of peanut butter from the jar. This brand of peanut butter is fairly dry and so it held nicely to the blade but was then a bit tricky to spread onto the surface on the bread. The texture of the peanut butter also saved me from any awkward spread dispersal over the body of the SAK or clogging and made cleaning straightforward.

Given the softness of the bread I needed to be careful not to stab the slice. Best results were achieved using a wiping action with the main blade angled at about 20-30 degrees to the bread surface pressing down slightly during the sweep of the blade.

Overall I'd give the Pioneer a Good rating. At 93mm it's got an effective jar reach which also means the risk of spread dispersal and clogging can be reduced. The blade tip however presents a risk with a soft sliced loaf and care in application of the spread is essential. This lets the overall score down.

No distress here, thank you.
 :cheers: :like:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:56 PM
I'm wondering if the sharpness of the knife makes any difference, blunt knife better spreader?

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #75 on: March 27, 2018, 09:46:11 PM

No distress here, thank you.
 :cheers: :like:

Phew !  :rofl:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #76 on: March 27, 2018, 09:46:49 PM
I'm wondering if the sharpness of the knife makes any difference, blunt knife better spreader?

Could well be. That's one for the Panel I think .... :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #77 on: March 27, 2018, 10:25:08 PM
Nutella: mostly sugar and palm oil. Yuck. :td:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #78 on: March 27, 2018, 10:36:09 PM
sugar and palm oil  :drool:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #79 on: March 28, 2018, 01:05:12 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

cool Navaja. When I was younger and first getting into blades, one of the first uses of my Navaja was to spread Nocilla (the Spanish version or copy of Nutella  :D, even though we have Nutella here but years ago it was not so common  :ahhh) on some bread that I brought on my trips and "exploring missions" in my pack, often is Summer holidays

:salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: March 28, 2018, 11:09:22 PM
I didn't have a chance to post yesterday. Here's a Spartan doing good service in the name of a peanut butter and ham sandwich:

No problems scooping out the peanut butter or spreading it.   :tu: :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #81 on: March 28, 2018, 11:36:37 PM
Elvis lives!!!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: March 28, 2018, 11:38:29 PM
You see any bananas here?   :pok:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #83 on: March 28, 2018, 11:45:08 PM
I'll never forget what you did to that poor sandwich
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: March 28, 2018, 11:53:12 PM
El C,

Try it. You'll never forget it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: March 28, 2018, 11:54:05 PM
And this is just my everyday, rookie version. Gimme a day or so and I'll pull out all the stops.........  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #86 on: March 29, 2018, 11:22:02 AM
You see any bananas here?   :pok:
True. I forgot the bananas.
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Then deep-fried...  :pok:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #87 on: March 29, 2018, 07:26:06 PM
And this is just my everyday, rookie version. Gimme a day or so and I'll pull out all the stops.........  :cheers:

:popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: March 29, 2018, 08:33:27 PM
A less daring lunch today (I think?  :think:):

Cadet doing it's job with some cream cheese--the best thing to come out of Philly since the Declaration of Independence. Cadet also served to make those cucumber slices. Good job for an 85mm blade.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31