Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fura Serge Panchenko Bean Flipper clone

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Fura Serge Panchenko Bean Flipper clone
on: March 12, 2018, 03:34:30 PM
First off, I'm reviewing this little knife because it's fun and aesthetically pleasing. I paid for it - just stating this because apparently the website I bought it from have approached forum members in the past and offered free gear for favourable reviews. 'Nuff said, on with the review.

This Fura is a copy of a Serge Panchenko Bean. Before seeing the Fura I had no idea of who Serge was, and I haven't really delved deep since. He is a top end knife designer apparently so our paths have never crossed  :D The original Bean will cost you well over 200 bucks  :o This one was around 20 quid. It would be interesting to compare the two together. They are probably as useful as each other given their size.

Nowhere on the knife (or the packaging) does it state that the knife is by Fura. It's very cheeky of Fura to put Serges makers mark on the scales and wholesale copy the knife. I don't condone this and would probably have avoided buying it had I known beforehand.

The scales purport to be titanium and other reviews confirm this. The blade steel is supposed to be S35VN. This is a high end steel but again, means nothing to me. It's stamped on the blade and online reviews and FAQ's contradict each other. I'm guessing that as a budget knife, the blade isn't made with S35VN, but it didn't factor in my purchase choice.

I like the look and size of the knife. It comes in a choice of scale colours (Blue, grey, colourful, golden, purple and earthy). I chose earthy because that's what I am.  :D
Thiis knife also comes with a choice of blades and slightly different scales (wharncliffe blade, cleaver style etc), but they're all generally the same size.

There are two holes for a lanyard (or two lanyards if you really like lanyards). Adding one helps when you're opening the knife with one hand as it extends the scales to better fit your grip.

On this model there is a clip which seems to work well. It's the only tool I have with a clip so I can't really compare it's utility with anything else. It works.

The dimensions are:

90mm closed
130mm open
55mm cutting edge
4mm blade thickness
30mm width.

So, a small knife with a very thick blade!

The blade is flipped open using the exposed tang (see pics). This is smooth and very satisfying. The blade came sharp from the box, but after a little work, is now extremely sharp.

The blade is non-locking and therefore UK legal. It's basically a friction folder - there's no back spring - a thumb-stud acts as a stop against the scales - all very nicely designed, with a ball detente mounted in a scale cutout. This stops the blade from being accidently opened, but it doesn't take that much pressure to close it. Watch your fingers!

I wouldn't recommend the knife to anyone as a user - I've used it for food prep (too small), sharpening pencils (too thick), slicing paper (why?  :D ) and flipping open. This is where it shines  :D It's basically a very sharp and well made fidget toy which could be put to cutting use if it was all you had in your pockets.

It's a fun little thing to admire (Very nice design by SP) and play with, and it'll sit on my desk to open mail with and cut some stuff up, but mainly it will be there to flip open and click shut when I'm bored.

Any questions please let me know  :salute:

Pics
20180312_121704.jpg
* 20180312_121704.jpg (Filesize: 119.65 KB)
20180312_121738.jpg
* 20180312_121738.jpg (Filesize: 113.58 KB)
20180312_121814.jpg
* 20180312_121814.jpg (Filesize: 101.18 KB)
20180312_121845.jpg
* 20180312_121845.jpg (Filesize: 105.23 KB)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:01:40 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Fura Serge Panchenko Bean Flipper clone
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:02:50 PM
Who said it is not S35VN?   Who?  - tell me their name !!!

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:27:56 PM
Who said it is not S35VN?   Who?  - tell me their name !!!
Shhh, I'll tell you. It begins with d and ends ks. You can work it out from there.  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:44:35 PM
Maybe he/she is just jealous

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:13:00 PM
Maybe he/she is just jealous
I'm pretty sure they are a she. Just certain things she does that only a lady would do. No need for jealousy though. I could understand it if she was jealous of my genuine Serge Panchenko Bean, but surely not a clone bean?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 02:41:51 PM
Removal of the clip makes this much more comfortable to use.
20180314_095655.jpg
* 20180314_095655.jpg (Filesize: 181.45 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:37 AM
Removal of the clip makes this much more comfortable to use.
I'm thinking of getting one of these. For funsies, or opening envelopes or taped boxes. Never heard of that website before, they reliable? How long did it take to revieve, my assumption is that these are probably forged/faked in China....
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:16:30 AM
you never heard of g***best?

They are OK, you pay with Paypal, I buy lots of stuff from them, B***good, Aliexpress,TMar*  etc.

Shipping time depends

sometimes items will arrive in 2 weeks, sometimes in 2 months.
Usually about 3 weeks to come here.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:38:05 AM
It took around 3 weeks to arrive.

Get one - it's a really fun little knife and well made. Sharpens up beautifully.  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 12:11:31 PM
Just seeing this review now Mags :ahhh Great write-up and pics SIr :salute: I have been looking hard at getting one of these since the first pics you posted of it :facepalm: :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:33:05 PM
Why thank you kind Sir  :salute: It is a really fun little knife

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!