Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Handyman Challenge

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Re: Handyman Challenge
Reply #60 on: April 13, 2018, 09:16:51 AM
#12 Opening some boxes and bags today at work, like this box of new brakepads (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

:tu:

Just recently did complete brake job on all four wheels of my car, replacing everything: rotors, pads, calipers and caliper brackets. Opened a couple of boxes of the parts with the SAK, and used it to fiddle with the pressure bleeder to get it working a little better, but alas, I needed some much bigger tools for the complete job.  ;)

Your photo reminded me of how much a PITA bleeding out a modern ABS module can be without the magic electronic box (that costs hundreds of $$$) to set all the tiny pistons in the ABS module to TDC. There's a workaround but it's time consuming and uses more brake fluid.

Hope the brake job went well!

John

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 13, 2018, 09:21:47 AM
#12 Opening some boxes and bags today at work, like this box of new brakepads (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Just recently did complete brake job on all four wheels of my car, replacing everything: rotors, pads, calipers and caliper brackets. Opened a couple of boxes of the parts with the SAK, and used it to fiddle with the pressure bleeder to get it working a little better, but alas, I needed some much bigger tools for the complete job.  ;)

Your photo reminded me of how much a PITA bleeding out a modern ABS module can be without the magic electronic box (that costs hundreds of $$$) to set all the tiny pistons in the ABS module to TDC. There's a workaround but it's time consuming and uses more brake fluid.

John
Since I'm a bus mechanic it's supposed to be air in the brake system But I know what you mean, bleeding brakes is always sketchy and usually ends up with having to buy som bits and pieces

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: April 13, 2018, 10:48:44 AM

John
Since I'm a bus mechanic it's supposed to be air in the brake system (Image removed from quote.) But I know what you mean, bleeding brakes is always sketchy and usually ends up with having to buy som bits and pieces (Image removed from quote.)

Those did look like some rather large pads. Thought it might be camera angle and perspective, but obviously not!

John

se Offline RF52

Reply #63 on: April 13, 2018, 11:24:10 AM

John
Since I'm a bus mechanic it's supposed to be air in the brake system (Image removed from quote.) But I know what you mean, bleeding brakes is always sketchy and usually ends up with having to buy som bits and pieces (Image removed from quote.)

Those did look like some rather large pads. Thought it might be camera angle and perspective, but obviously not!

John
No, they are kind of big atleast compared to brakepads on a car But compared to a locomotive they aren't that big again

se Offline RF52

Reply #64 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:15 PM
#13 The knife saw some use today, cutting a hose and a firewarning sticker so I could change it.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #65 on: April 14, 2018, 01:09:55 PM
#13 The knife saw some use today, cutting a hose and a firewarning sticker so I could change it. (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

thin slicey blade, the hose didn't stand a chance  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline RF52

Reply #66 on: April 14, 2018, 08:41:19 PM
#13 The knife saw some use today, cutting a hose and a firewarning sticker so I could change it. (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I was a bit surprised how easy it cut through the hose, it did a very good job on that

se Offline RF52

Reply #67 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:28 PM
#14 Nothing much today so a pic from a walk in the woods with the dog

se Offline RF52

Reply #68 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:41 PM
#15 No use today, just a couple of pics to show the spring

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: April 16, 2018, 05:18:41 AM

I was a bit surprised how easy it cut through the hose, it did a very good job on that (Image removed from quote.)

I discovered that myself with reinforced hose! It is a bit amazing what a truly sharp blade will do.

John

se Offline RF52

Reply #71 on: April 16, 2018, 05:25:02 AM

I was a bit surprised how easy it cut through the hose, it did a very good job on that (Image removed from quote.)

I discovered that myself with reinforced hose! It is a bit amazing what a truly sharp blade will do.

John
Yes it's a great little knife

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #72 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:42 AM
The large blade is very adept in cutting hoses. I've cut gas hoses and garden hoses, all without effort.

Day 13
Friday the 13th! Will the Handyman give out? Will one of the springs break? Will I loose my microscrewdriver? Or a toothpick perhaps?
Nope, everything went fine. Not much use during the day but at night the Handyman was used with cooking. Cutting open packages of the sauerkraut and sausage.

Handyman, sauerkraut and sausage

Day 14
Ah, weekend. A perfect morning for soft boiled eggs! Unfortunately, Friday the 13th rubbed off on my Saturday the 14th.
The eggs came in some sort of paperfoam. We don't have eggcups so I cut a piece off of the box. The short blade cut through it like butter.
Seemed like a pretty good idea.
When I put the eggs in it tumbled over and the foam melted on the eggs. So I had to peel them twice. And on top of that the eggs were hard, not soft. :ahhh

Handyman and eggcup disaster

Day 15
Cooking duty again. I've discovered quite recently that the scissors are perfect for cutting herbs. I made pesto again.
I like how the black cellidor scales contrast with the bright green.

Handyman and basil

I also opened some packages. A mini digital scale arrived for weighing coffee. I chose one with a removable lid so I could put two cups on it. But mini is indeed mini and I can only fit one. The scales are the size of a Zippo lighter. :facepalm:
Also, another SwissCard arrived. An older model SwissCard Lite, with the red LED.
The Handyman also watched how I ordered another SAK. The son of Zeus is underway...
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: April 16, 2018, 02:27:05 PM
The large blade is very adept in cutting hoses. I've cut gas hoses and garden hoses, all without effort.

Day 13
Friday the 13th! Will the Handyman give out? Will one of the springs break? Will I loose my microscrewdriver? Or a toothpick perhaps?
Nope, everything went fine. Not much use during the day but at night the Handyman was used with cooking. Cutting open packages of the sauerkraut and sausage.

Handyman, sauerkraut and sausage

Day 14
Ah, weekend. A perfect morning for soft boiled eggs! Unfortunately, Friday the 13th rubbed off on my Saturday the 14th.
The eggs came in some sort of paperfoam. We don't have eggcups so I cut a piece off of the box. The short blade cut through it like butter.
Seemed like a pretty good idea.
When I put the eggs in it tumbled over and the foam melted on the eggs. So I had to peel them twice. And on top of that the eggs were hard, not soft. :ahhh

Handyman and eggcup disaster

Day 15
Cooking duty again. I've discovered quite recently that the scissors are perfect for cutting herbs. I made pesto again.
I like how the black cellidor scales contrast with the bright green.

Handyman and basil

I also opened some packages. A mini digital scale arrived for weighing coffee. I chose one with a removable lid so I could put two cups on it. But mini is indeed mini and I can only fit one. The scales are the size of a Zippo lighter. :facepalm:
Also, another SwissCard arrived. An older model SwissCard Lite, with the red LED.
The Handyman also watched how I ordered another SAK. The son of Zeus is underway...

nice uses and thoughts,  :like:  yes those scissors are excellent for herbs   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline RF52

Reply #74 on: April 16, 2018, 09:35:52 PM
#16 Just some cutting and opening boxes at work today so a pic of the Handyman in a juniper bush

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #75 on: April 17, 2018, 01:25:01 PM
Day 16
Didn't bother to take any pictures, but I cut down some boxes.
During lunch I peeled my apple.
It seems the large blade get's most of the use.

se Offline RF52

Reply #76 on: April 17, 2018, 04:39:07 PM
#17 Some light cutting at work, changed a couple of firewarning stickers in the enginebay on a bus

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #77 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:43 AM
Day 16
Wow, we passed half of the challenge!
To be honest it does not really feel like a challenge since I EDC a Handyman of over 20 years now.
So far it does show that I might be a bit over-prepared with a Handyman. The large blade sees most of the use.

But for today, it almost went by without using the Handyman apart from making lunch.
The large blade is sufficient enough for cutting hard crusted buns. But the half serrated 111mm excels in this.
Perhaps it's time for a Handyman mod? Handyman serrated? Maybe in the future.

Handyman and Kaiserbrötchen

I nearly put the SAK down for the rest of the day when my parents dropped by with the mail.
I had some packages coming in and boy, it was a great haul! And all three at the same time!

The Handyman performed duty-fully removing the paper, tape and what not.
Again only the large blade was used.

Handyman on mail duty

I got a case for my portable espresso machine, a bunch of seeds (Yuzu) and the son of Zeus arrived: a Hercules with leather case.

se Offline RF52

Reply #78 on: April 18, 2018, 10:43:29 AM
Day 16
Wow, we passed half of the challenge!
To be honest it does not really feel like a challenge since I EDC a Handyman of over 20 years now.
So far it does show that I might be a bit over-prepared with a Handyman. The large blade sees most of the use.

But for today, it almost went by without using the Handyman apart from making lunch.
The large blade is sufficient enough for cutting hard crusted buns. But the half serrated 111mm excels in this.
Perhaps it's time for a Handyman mod? Handyman serrated? Maybe in the future.

(Image removed from quote.)
Handyman and Kaiserbrötchen

I nearly put the SAK down for the rest of the day when my parents dropped by with the mail.
I had some packages coming in and boy, it was a great haul! And all three at the same time!

The Handyman performed duty-fully removing the paper, tape and what not.
Again only the large blade was used.

(Image removed from quote.)
Handyman on mail duty

I got a case for my portable espresso machine, a bunch of seeds (Yuzu) and the son of Zeus arrived: a Hercules with leather case.
Cool! I've been curious about the hercules myself

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #79 on: April 18, 2018, 11:42:27 AM

Well, I've been opting for a WorkChamp and from the photo I initially thought I had bought a WorkChamp.
When I realized I didn't see a file in the add I checked again. It turned out to be a Hercules.
I still bought it anyway.
From reviews I expected an insanely large SAK. And it does not really feel that way, perhaps because I'm used to carrying a Handyman all day long.
It's an interesting knife. If I were to buy new I would buy a WorkChamp.
(And given my initial impression of the Hercules I think that I am going to buy the WorkChamp new)

If I can find the slide-lock camo scales I'm going to team the Hecules with the Maglite Mini with camo print I got recently.

se Offline RF52

Reply #80 on: April 18, 2018, 05:12:27 PM

Well, I've been opting for a WorkChamp and from the photo I initially thought I had bought a WorkChamp.
When I realized I didn't see a file in the add I checked again. It turned out to be a Hercules.
I still bought it anyway.
From reviews I expected an insanely large SAK. And it does not really feel that way, perhaps because I'm used to carrying a Handyman all day long.
It's an interesting knife. If I were to buy new I would buy a WorkChamp.
(And given my initial impression of the Hercules I think that I am going to buy the WorkChamp new)

If I can find the slide-lock camo scales I'm going to team the Hecules with the Maglite Mini with camo print I got recently.
That would be a nice combo

se Offline RF52

Reply #81 on: April 18, 2018, 09:52:39 PM
#18 Same job different day. Did change some stickers on a fire supression system again, and tried to cut a hose but realized it was a steel reinforced hose so had to sharpen the Handyman when I got home. Never gonna try cutting one of those again!

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #82 on: April 19, 2018, 12:50:45 PM
...and tried to cut a hose but realized it was a steel reinforced hose so had to sharpen the Handyman when I got home. Never gonna try cutting one of those again!
:ahhh

Day 17
Nothing much. I cut an apple.

Handyman and apple

Day 18
The day flew by without much usage.
On the way home I decided to take scenic picture of Rotterdam. I forgot the sun was on the same side at this time and had to take a lucky shot.
So why do I include such a bad shot? Well, I walked 6 flights of stairs up and down to take this image!

Blurred Handyman view of Rotterdam

Back home I prepared some flowers with the small blade. I know the large blade is out, but it turned out I needed a sharper edge to cut the stems.

Handyman and tulips

I took some time to give the Hercules a proper cleaning. The slidelock failed to engage at one point and I could not get all the gunk out even after a couple of cycles through the ultrasone. I ended up using heavy degreaser, but to  no avail.
Then I used the canopener of my Handyman to remove the scales. This Hercules was gummed up with thick oil and grease. sand and tiny particles got stuck in it and got stuck in the slide-lock slot. With the scales removed it was much easier to clean.
I also noticed some minor play in the liners. Just enough to make the tool movement feel a little bit off. A few taps with the hammer sorted that out. With the scales re-attached it feels solid again and the slide-lock is super smooth.

With the scales removed, and the mechanism visible I have some thoughts about the slide-lock. On the one hand it's a very simple mechanism. It's very easy to use. But the mechanism is hard to clean, especially grit and small particles can jam the slide-lock. I do not know if this is a common problem. This Hercules is my first slide-lock. I'm tempted to remove the slide-lock and replace the scales. However, should this blade fold over in use and close on the fingers... that'd be a bad experience. So I'll probably leave the slide-lock.
Second I'm tempted to make a small notch in the scales to store a pin. It's a minor modification and having a pin on hand is handy-dandy.
At home I cut up some flowers to put them in a vase.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: April 19, 2018, 04:13:50 PM
I have heard bad stuff about gunk in the slide lock mechanism before, but I don't remember any details. I suspect it is not uncommon.

se Offline RF52

Reply #84 on: April 19, 2018, 09:58:09 PM
#19 Used the can opener as a philips screwdriver, the large blade for various cutting tasks and the bottle opener saw some use

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: April 20, 2018, 03:23:54 PM
#18 Same job different day. Did change some stickers on a fire supression system again, and tried to cut a hose but realized it was a steel reinforced hose so had to sharpen the Handyman when I got home. Never gonna try cutting one of those again!

I've had my share of metal wired hoses, steel reinforced tubing and banded/embedded wrapping, to my blades' discontent  :facepalm:
These smurf attack when you least expect it!  :ahhh
My toys:

se Offline RF52

Reply #86 on: April 20, 2018, 04:15:40 PM

I've had my share of metal wired hoses, steel reinforced tubing and banded/embedded wrapping, to my blades' discontent  :facepalm:
These smurf attack when you least expect it!  :ahhh
Yes, it was not fun to see the knife edge roll over like that

se Offline RF52

Reply #87 on: April 20, 2018, 08:20:31 PM
#20 The scissors saw the most use today, also used the knife to open som boxes and other minor cutting tasks.

se Offline RF52

Reply #88 on: April 21, 2018, 09:07:41 PM
#21 Used the awl/reamer to make a new hole in my belt, worked like a charm
The saw was needed to cut a branch for a decorative ladder my wife wants.

se Offline RF52

Reply #89 on: April 22, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
#22 Used the saw to get another stick for the decorative ladder project, and the scissors to open a bag of dog food. No pics of use so here is one with the dog from this morning.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD