Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Handyman Challenge

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Re: Handyman Challenge
Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:28 PM
day 19
Final day of the week... for me. I can't help myself from wishing everybody a good weekend at the end of this hellish day.
During the day the Handyman did not see any use. I did get to use the light I have attached at the lanyard because the lights in the toilet at work switch off after 5 minutes.
I think it's a passive aggressive way to tell your employees to get back to work. So I passive aggressively carry a flashlight.

At home the Handyman helped me cooking. Nothing very special, just cleaning out the cabinets. It's the end of the salary and there is still a bit of month left. So, we're making the best of what we have.

day 20
Aww yiss, the start of a long weekend. We have a weekend of gardening planned. I wanted to start composting, so naturally we didn't do much in the garden and drove half the country and back to get composting bins. For free of course.

day 21
No gardening without gardening tools. I went to the thriftshop to buy the necessities. I used the large blade to clean up the tools. Gardena tools have annoying little plastic nubs on the end where the display packaging was attached. The large blade cut them smooth.
I was tempted to use the metal file to sharpen a hoe, but on second thought left that task to a big metal file.

We had friends over and I used the Handyman to make drinks. Sparkling water with cucumber, lime, mint and ice. Alternatively I made them with tonic.
The small blade was excellent to cut off the rind of the lime.

Handyman on cocktail duty

day 22
Finally did some gardening. I used the large blade to cut some branches, the saw to cut some sticks. When switching to the big tools I made the mistake to keep the Handyman in my pocket. The result was a very sandy Handyman.
This has me wondering how the Victorinox garden knives hold up. I really want one, but doesn't dirt ruin the hinges?
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: April 23, 2018, 09:36:09 PM
#23 The knife and scissors saw some use today cutting various things and opening a couple of boxes with new brake discs. The Handyman on the brake disc for size.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

Reply #92 on: April 24, 2018, 09:04:17 PM
#24 Used the knife and scissors as usual on the usual job I will probably be doing for a while still (86 buses left). Also used the file to file down some rough edges on a cut down wrench.

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #93 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:04 PM
Day 23

I was at home today, so I had plenty of time to take pictures of the more mundane tasks I speak of a lot, opening packages and such.

In Holland we have a type of cake calle Bokkenpoot. Usually these are small (about the width of this one), but this one s huge.
My parents had a laugh about it and gave it to me. I had a laugh and it was tasty too!

Handyman and bokkenpoot

You can't live on Bokkenpoot alone, so I had noodles for breakfast.

Handyman noodles

To make up for the bad start of the day I had some fruit during the afternoon.

Handyman and apple

And just when I thought that was it for the day, I found a gardenhose-roll-up-thingy in the garbage. It looked worse than it is. I disassembled it, brushed it down and replaced the cut-off hose with my gardenhose. I had to use a regular screwdriver for the screws because the Handyman could not reach them.
But cutting the hose and removing the clip was a breeze.

Handyman hose repair

se Offline RF52

Reply #94 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:28 PM
Great work and the cake looked nice

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #96 on: April 25, 2018, 12:25:06 PM
that cake looks very nice!
In Spain we have a similar one called "Brazo de Gitano" (Gypsy's Arm  :facepalm:) with almost the same shape, ingredients and construciton

There's also the British "Roly-Poly", the Argentinian "Pionono" and variations of the same theme  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #97 on: April 25, 2018, 01:13:12 PM
that cake looks very nice!
In Spain we have a similar one called "Brazo de Gitano" (Gypsy's Arm  :facepalm:) with almost the same shape, ingredients and construciton
There's also the British "Roly-Poly", the Argentinian "Pionono" and variations of the same theme  :salute:

I searched for an english name, but couldn't find anything. Should have looked harder I guess. Bokkenpoot translates roughly like goatsfoot.

Day 24

One of the tasks I've been putting off: cutting out the letters for a letterboard.
But I'm glad they are all cut out and sorted.
Now to think of something catchy to put on the board.
I don't think 'Till rust do us part' will do it for my girlfriend. ^_^

Handyman alphabet

I really want a Yuzu tree in my garden. So I made it a project. I ordered Yuzu seeds and put them in a zip-lock bag with a wet tissue to gerimate. Now, 8 days later little green buds are starting to pop out of the seeds and it's time to put them in the soil. To bad I'm all out of planting cups.
Luckily all you need is a paper, a Victorinox and some origami skills to fold some planting cups.
The bottle opener is great at opening staples and the large blade is excellent at cutting.

Handyman paperworks
I already made four when my girlfriend showed me we did have some palnting cups left. :facepalm:

At the end of the day I had a cup of coffee in the garden while reading a book.

Handyman, coffee and a book
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:19:22 PM by Mactire404 »

se Offline RF52

Reply #98 on: April 25, 2018, 10:29:45 PM
#25 The usual cutting tasks today, and cutting some zip ties for a air pump for my MTB shocks

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: April 26, 2018, 02:19:20 PM
you two in this challenge are handymen yourselves  :salute:
love to see all these uses  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

se Offline RF52

Reply #100 on: April 26, 2018, 03:29:36 PM
you two in this challenge are handymen yourselves  :salute:
love to see all these uses  :like:
Thanks!

se Offline RF52

Reply #101 on: April 26, 2018, 08:45:05 PM
#26 Used the scissors and bottle opener today, and a bonus pic of the Handyman and chewie AKA Fenris Only 4 days left but I think the Handyman will stay in my pocket for a while after the challenge is done

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: April 27, 2018, 11:41:00 AM
#26 Used the scissors and bottle opener today, and a bonus pic of the Handyman and chewie AKA Fenris Only 4 days left but I think the Handyman will stay in my pocket for a while after the challenge is done [

keep an eye so that chewie doesn't get too attached to it and decides to give the Handyman a bite  :D
My toys:

se Offline RF52

Reply #103 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:50 AM
#26 Used the scissors and bottle opener today, and a bonus pic of the Handyman and chewie AKA Fenris Only 4 days left but I think the Handyman will stay in my pocket for a while after the challenge is done [

keep an eye so that chewie doesn't get too attached to it and decides to give the Handyman a bite  :D
As long as he has a stick he's happy

se Offline RF52

Reply #104 on: April 27, 2018, 09:29:21 PM
#27 The usual cutting tasks with knife and scissors. Also used the bottle opener to open a couple of bottles

se Offline RF52

Reply #105 on: April 28, 2018, 05:22:47 PM
#28 Used the knife to open my new Olight S10

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: April 28, 2018, 05:46:52 PM
Great challenge guys  :salute:
It’s been fun following this challenge
Shame it’s nearly finished
Well done everyone so far :like: :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

se Offline RF52

Reply #107 on: April 28, 2018, 08:07:08 PM
Great challenge guys  :salute:
It’s been fun following this challenge
Shame it’s nearly finished
Well done everyone so far :like: :like: :tu:
Thank you

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #108 on: April 29, 2018, 02:12:21 PM
Day 25
All the sand in my pocket has gotten to my Handyman and it was getting a bit gritty. Originally I intended to give it a full treatment at the end of the challenge, but I had to do it earlier.

Handyman oiling

Day 26
I used to hook to open a can of beans, but the tab pulled off.

The Handyman keeping tabs on the beans

Luckily the can opener works very well.

The Handyman can open a can

Day 27
Did some work on the ceiling lights. They were hanging on the excess wire since we moved in. I shortened them and put the ceiling caps in place.
I was always worried to cut in copper and dulling my blade. But over the years I fine-tuned my cable-stripping techniques.
First I use the small blade to cut around the outer sheath.Then banding it and just touching it with the blade to cut just deep enough to see the inner wires.
I separate the inner wires and cut them twice with the scissors. Just deep enough and 90' around, so you get 4 perforations in the coloured sheath.
Then I open the bottle-opener and put bend the wire over the notch, hold it with my thumb and pull the excess sheath off. Done!

Handyman on electrician duty

Just bear in mind SAKs are not insulated and make damn sure the power is off!.

Day 28
More work done. I had to shorten a pole to make it fit between a door with the new end-caps installed. The Vic saw is excellent.

Handyman woodsaw

I did some late-night tinkering in my shed. I wonder what I cooked up...

Handyman tinkering

Well, to be hones I didn't use just the Handyman. I ended up using a full-sized saw to cut the plywood. But I did use the Handyman to screw, drill pilot holes and screw in the hooks (with the hook) in my new SAK display.

New SAK display

Even though I couldn't upload every night I have great fun with this challenge. As mentioned it's a shame the challenge is nearly over, but I can assure you that the Handyman will remain by my side every day.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: April 29, 2018, 02:20:34 PM
That piping around the frame makes it extra “gadgety”.  :climber:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: April 29, 2018, 02:24:28 PM
Day 25
All the sand in my pocket has gotten to my Handyman and it was getting a bit gritty. Originally I intended to give it a full treatment at the end of the challenge, but I had to do it earlier.

Day 28
More work done. I had to shorten a pole to make it fit between a door with the new end-caps installed. The Vic saw is excellent.

[
(Image removed from quote.)
New SAK display

Even though I couldn't upload every night I have great fun with this challenge. As mentioned it's a shame the challenge is nearly over, but I can assure you that the Handyman will remain by my side every day.

excellent uses, amazing how much you're getting out of it   :tu:

That display looks awesome too!!  :like: :dd:
My toys:

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #111 on: April 29, 2018, 02:31:42 PM
excellent uses, amazing how much you're getting out of it   :tu:

That display looks awesome too!!  :like: :dd:

SAKs are amazing, can't imagine being without one really.

The SAK display needs a little more work. It has only one hook and I forgot that SAKs have weight. So when I take one off, or put one back on I need to readjust it.
Also, I was one hook short, so now I have to buy a whole pack just for one hook  :facepalm:
And, my girlfriend wasn't too happy because now I have to buy more SAKs to fill out the board.
Luckily I have 4 SAKs incoming at the moment, but only one has a ring  :rofl:

se Offline RF52

Reply #112 on: April 29, 2018, 02:58:41 PM
Great work Mac!

se Offline RF52

Reply #113 on: April 29, 2018, 05:23:35 PM
#29 Just hanging around in the forest today with the dog. Pic didn't turn out very good

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: April 29, 2018, 05:45:47 PM
#29 Just hanging around in the forest today with the dog. Pic didn't turn out very good

Pic is not that bad RF52 I have seen a lot worse  :rofl: :like:

se Offline RF52

Reply #115 on: April 29, 2018, 06:16:01 PM
I took some better pics but for some reason the didn't save on my phone

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: April 29, 2018, 06:20:03 PM
I took some better pics but for some reason the didn't save on my phone

That’s nasty when that happens  :ahhh :like: :like:

se Offline RF52

Reply #117 on: April 30, 2018, 06:43:08 PM
#30 So my first 30 day challenge is over, the time went so fast. The Handyman was a nice tool to get to know this last month, even though the blades and scissors saw the most use the other tools came in handy at times too Overall I really like the Handyman and it will stay in my pocket still, maybe accompanied by a larger plier based MT. Nothing fancy and exciting the last day as I still have a smurfload of busses left to do a yearly check-up on the fire suppression system. Got to use the large knifeblade, the scissors and bottle opener as a screwdriver today

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #118 on: May 01, 2018, 09:01:20 AM
Day 29
When you EDC a SAK a solution is just seconds away... My Nespresso machine likes to 'eat' capsules, that's when they get stuck in the machine.
Instead of pushing it through with a spoon like my mom does I let the Handyman do the work. So I don't waste the capsule.
I pop the capsule back in and get a cup of coffee! Moments later the performed for the 'Danger Club' and got covered in crema. :oops:

Handyman pliers

Day 30
The final day! I'm back at work again. Which means I'm stuck in a dark room for the rest of the day. On days like these the Handyman does not see a lot of action.
At the end of the day I saw a nice photo opportunity when cooking.

Fishy Handyman

conclusion
First of, I'd like to thank RF52 for participating. A challenge is fun on it's own, but it's better when you do it together. At least that's my opinion. I really enjoyed your photo's.

As for the Handyman, I've been so accustomed to it that I wouldn't dare to carry something else. However, I think I could. There are quite a couple of tools that didn't see any use.
I think I could manage with just an Explorer or just a Climber. The Compact would be a pretty good candidate also.
But as I said, the Handyman won't be replaced. I'll just carry additional SAKs, just for the fun of it!
Also, there were no tools I missed. There is no light on the Handyman, and for a moment I thought about adding it in a mod.
But it would add too much bulk (would it be as thick as a SwissChamp?) and adding a small keychain light on my lanyard is more efficient as I can use the SAK and the light at the same time.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #119 on: May 01, 2018, 09:10:54 AM
 :like:

Great challenge!  :tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%