Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit Upgrade

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Swisstool Spirit Upgrade
Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 03:40:57 PM
My only complaint is the difficulty to cut stranded wire.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 04:52:21 PM
My only complaint is the difficulty to cut stranded wire.

In Vic defence, I do have another SS spirit that snips thin gauge stranded cleanly on the soft wire cutter. Max I have tried up to 1.5mm2 wire. Anything thicker it will wander into the hard wire cutter region and locks up the pliers.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 04:19:57 AM
Lerit will be the name.  :cheers:

Lerit had held up pretty well. 3rd day in and pretty darn happy with her.  ;)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 05:13:58 AM
Awesome news, Sam!   :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 08:28:58 PM
I'm loving the Phillips headed plier pivot.   :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 02, 2018, 05:32:19 AM
I'm loving the Phillips headed plier pivot.   :salute:

The bolt of this screw occasional gets caught in my sheath.. I had changed them to a barrel screw. Found it in my bin of salvaged parts. I cannot remember which tool it came from....... It have exactly the correct length I need. A while ago, someone posted a link for the post screw from amazon. I bought that but it was too short to go through 4 layers...

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #36 on: April 02, 2018, 09:48:14 PM
I have wondered why the length of the cutters is not bigger on the Spirit, in fact I would gladly sacrifice some of the jaw depth if the cutters were were aroud 30% longer, so this is an upgrade of sorts and very clever, well done Sam!  :cheers: That being said, I do seem to manage fine with the Spirit cutters as I use them only incidentally, sometimes having to make multiple cuts to get through things like 10 gauge Romex or 2 strand barbed wire. They seem to work fine for me on multi-stranded wire and insulated shielded wire like coax cable pretty easily, but sometimes I end up finishing the cut with the scissors when there is some insulation or a strand or three that doesn't get cut completely through. The bypass style of cutters (found on all MTs) is not as efficient generally (in my experience) as a good set of diagonals for any type of wire, which is what I use if I know I'm going to be doing any planned wiring or extended wire cutting. I do think the quality of the Spirit pliers is superior to the LMs, but that is more opinion than anything else, because aside from a challenge here and there I haven't really used the LM pliers as extensively as the Spirits. Also I prefer the plier shape to the LMs, which I find too pointy and narrow for my purposes, and have modded them to a more versatile tip, which I never felt the need to do with the Spirit.

The mod does seem to solve the cutter length compromise, but I think I will be keeping my smooth clickety Swiss Made tool intact.  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:49:42 PM by twiliter »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 01:44:07 PM
Well, having the ability to disassemble and assemble will come the inevitable.  ;)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #38 on: April 10, 2018, 01:56:00 PM
That is some bad ass modding right there. Awesome job!
Nate

SEND IT!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 02:43:58 PM
the best upgrade to the Spirit   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 02:56:05 PM
 :like: :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 03:10:52 PM
That is some bad ass modding right there. Awesome job!

To be honest, the most headache part is solving the problem with the pivot size with what's available at home. The rest of the things are simply finding the right part and put them together.  :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 03:11:33 PM
 :salute: TP and Stevie!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 13, 2020, 06:55:26 AM
Update.

Got a 91mm scissor into Lerit. Really have change out the original scissor as its use is very limited. It is a left hand scissor and it DOES matter. I do empathise with the lefties as most scissor are made for right hand use. In normal operation for a right hander, its extremely difficult to see what you are cutting.

Its really one of the more problematic mod I have done. Getting it to lock up, and close without the spring activating when stowed. If I had access to welding, it would be alot much easier as there's not enough material at the back of the 91mm to engage the back spring.  But the current lock down hinders movements and finding a welder. Went back the hard way again to work with what I have. Had to dump the can opener to give me a little more working space. Next, probably a OHO blade, or a diamond file?  :think:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: April 13, 2020, 09:07:33 AM
Update.

Got a 91mm scissor into Lerit. Really have change out the original scissor as its use is very limited. It is a left hand scissor and it DOES matter. I do empathise with the lefties as most scissor are made for right hand use. In normal operation for a right hander, its extremely difficult to see what you are cutting.

Its really one of the more problematic mod I have done. Getting it to lock up, and close without the spring activating when stowed. If I had access to welding, it would be alot much easier as there's not enough material at the back of the 91mm to engage the back spring.  But the current lock down hinders movements and finding a welder. Went back the hard way again to work with what I have. Had to dump the can opener to give me a little more working space. Next, probably a OHO blade, or a diamond file?  :think:

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Sam, great work!  I always think the 91mm scissors is better than the Spirit's.  For next iteration, may I recommend the OHO blade?  I know J-sews made one long time ago, but it's time to see some new iteration!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Swisstool Spirit Upgrade
Reply #45 on: April 21, 2020, 03:48:25 AM
Top notch mod :like: :drool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31