Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What the?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
What the?
on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:42 PM
I really don't get why this guy thinks this Director is worth $125. Plus, what really ticks me off is that his description is a direct copy and paste of our Wiki page on it (with no credit given).  I gave $10ish for my early 1970s example, and eBay reveals that, at most, Directors sell for about $40.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/22726-rare-and-discontinued-victorinox-swiss-army-knife-director-guilloche-design-multi-tool-knife

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Re: What the?
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:18 PM
I really don't get why this guy thinks this Director is worth $125. Plus, what really ticks me off is that his description is a direct copy and paste of our Wiki page on it (with no credit given).  I gave $10ish for my early 1970s example, and eBay reveals that, at most, Directors sell for about $40.

https://www.allaboutpocke...e-design-multi-tool-knife
It's his SAK to offer up for sale at whatever price he wants to offer it up for sale. If you think that's too high, there's nothing forcing you or anyone else to buy it.

If the Wiki page is copyrighted, there's a problem with him infringing on that, but not much remedy beyond forcing a take-down until revised unless the copyright is a registered one. Copyright holder would have to complain to the site hosting his advert.

John

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:56:20 AM
Well it is in good condition... But if it's worth $125 then I'm sitting on a gold mine.

10 bucks for yours... If it's in good condition is a good find.

Can't blame him or her for trying to make an easy buck and at least he copy-pasted some good content for the description. Could've edited it a bit though.

Not the worst example I've seen

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:13:34 AM
It's his SAK to offer up for sale at whatever price he wants to offer it up for sale. If you think that's too high, there's nothing forcing you or anyone else to buy it.

:facepalm:

I think that question Cody is raising isn't about capitalism. I think it's more "is anyone stupid enough to buy at this price?" He's ridiculing an idiot. That is part of capitalism. Capitalism should be darwinian, and the idiots should die out. But there isn't enough chlorine in the pool these days.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 04:03:49 AM

:facepalm:

I think that question Cody is raising isn't about capitalism. I think it's more "is anyone stupid enough to buy at this price?" He's ridiculing an idiot. That is part of capitalism. Capitalism should be darwinian, and the idiots should die out. But there isn't enough chlorine in the pool these days.

That part of it read to me like whining about not being a price low enough that he'd be willing to pay, that it didn't meet his idea of a "fair market" price.

I routinely find prices I don't believe to be in line with "fair value" but I keep it to myself and don't complain publicly about it as that always comes across as "whining". It's important to note that different venues have different "fair market" prices at which things will sell. What something will sell for on ePrey is not necessarily what it will sell for on some other retail site, which could be higher or lower. Sometimes the disparity is not trivial. A seller can offer something up at whatever price they want to. If someone is willing to pay it, so be it. If not, it will go unsold, or the price will be dropped until it does. It's the seller's decision and the seller's decision alone.

John
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:19:35 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:27:40 AM
"There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum

The seller is counting on it.  :D

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 04:34:54 AM
I saw a watch for sale on eBay the other day that used a whole paragraph copied and pasted from my own blog post on the subject watch.  No credit given, just blatant plagiarism.  It happens. 

As for the price he's asking, he's free to ask anything he wants.  Hopefully whoever buys it will be happy with their purchase and not feel taken.

Myron

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 03:43:07 PM
Meh, there is also a point worth making that the seller preys on the, not nearly enough, informed but interested/enthusiastic too.

You want to mark your ten dollar knife up at 125 then you're showing trait marks as much as the one actually buying it, is all I'm saying.

But being mindful out what you spend money on is still baseline I guess.

A reply that is vague without judging is what I aimed for....

... Here's a crocodile!

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:46:06 PM by stoneshank »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:26 PM
On eBay Directors have been sold at prices varying from $27 to $100 and I see at least three NIB ones that were advertised at $125 - $ 155 and those got sold by accepting a "best offer".

Considering this, putting a very good (mint?) condition Director for sale at $125 (with a "best offer" option enabled!) may not be as outrageous as you think. Maybe it will sell around $90 or so.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:25:56 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 05:01:12 PM
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:07:56 PM by ReamerPunch »

Donations

Operational Funds