Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's First SAK Mod Build

us Offline n4vgm

Re: Lynn's First SAK Mod Build
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 04:24:20 PM
Awesome job! I have only done one SAK mod and after a couple years carry the scissors broke so I will redo that at some point.

One suggestion I heard here and tried was to put the brass pin in a drill then peen the end as it spins. Takes a while but then you get one side done outside the knife. You could even slide a bushing on the pin before you start so you know when the mushroom is the right size. I did not try that fearing the bushing would fly off!

I used a cordless drill with variable speed and it worked great using a small hammer.

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 05:25:03 PM
Next thing...

I... heh... I don't own a peening hammer, apparently.

And as it seems I've been forced into chemical warfare against my shower stall today, I don't know that I'll be able to get out to get one today. So, today, no progress.
Lynn seems to have lost the battle against the shower stall since we havent heard from him since... We are confident he fought bravely using his SAK... :salute:

Hey, that's an idea for a new useful tool on a SAK; a gas mask! :climber:
Posted using my electronic SAK scales

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.
-Make intricate machinery and weapons.
-Aren't concerned with the wars of men.

DWARVES! THE SWISS ARE DWARVES!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 05:40:30 PM
Next thing...

I... heh... I don't own a peening hammer, apparently.

And as it seems I've been forced into chemical warfare against my shower stall today, I don't know that I'll be able to get out to get one today. So, today, no progress.
Lynn seems to have lost the battle against the shower stall since we havent heard from him since... We are confident he fought bravely using his SAK... :salute:

Hey, that's an idea for a new useful tool on a SAK; a gas mask! :climber:
:rofl: :like:

P.S, Lynn is a She.  ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 07:23:51 PM
Sorry for the delay in response.

Yes, Lynn is indeed a she.

Second, there is SOME progress but my garage, where I'm doing the peening work, is unheated, and it's been very cold here the last couple days.

Still...

I am not all that happy with my work. I think I slightly bent both pins in the process, so... (sigh). I'm not sure if i should proceed as is or cut off what I've done and try again.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 07:30:54 PM
Those pinheads (lol) don’t quite look like they’ll fit in the brushings.  :think:

Maybe try peening while the pins and brushings are in the assembled knife?  :think:
What’s the worst that could happen?  :D

All hail the hook!

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 08:43:10 PM
P.S, Lynn is a She.  ;)

:facepalm: :oops: :surrender: Sorry... I'll start viewing peoples profiles and stop assuming.. :whistle:.

:b2t:

Looking forward to further process!

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 08:50:32 PM
Those pinheads (lol) don’t quite look like they’ll fit in the brushings.  :think:

I peened them WHILE the pin was in a bushing, so...  :shrug:

Toppskarven... it's all good.  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:29 PM

I peened them WHILE the pin was in a bushing, so...  :shrug:

Toppskarven... it's all good.  :tu:
I guess it will work then.  :tu:
I just didn’t remember what it’s supposed to look like when peened to fit a brushing.  :D :oops:

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 10:38:08 PM
I would cut them off (and the bent part) and try again Lynn. I will look for some pics to show what you're after.

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 01:02:35 AM
If I may offer some friendly advice...

When I modded my Compact to swap the corkscrew for a Phillips, I found that I got the best results when peening by using light taps and focusing on the center of the brass rod until it started to mushroom.  Go slow and don't try to move the brass too much, too quickly.  It will take you longer, yes, but the results will be better.

Once the rod starts to mushroom out, start to peen around the edges... again using light taps and not over-working the brass.

Another thing I did that you might want to consider is to get some larger diameter brass rods to practice on.  I really feel like practicing peening the larger diameter rod helped me get better results when the time came to do it for real.  Good luck, and keep at it!  :salute:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:05:27 AM by TennTexan »
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 08:35:57 AM
Sorry for the delay in response.

Second, there is SOME progress but my garage, where I'm doing the peening work, is unheated, and it's been very cold here the last couple days.

Still...

I am not all that happy with my work. I think I slightly bent both pins in the process, so... (sigh). I'm not sure if i should proceed as is or cut off what I've done and try again.

Yeah, certainly the bottom one looks bent.  I'm not sure why you'd do one side and not finish the knife though.  After disassembly, cleaning and reassembly the peening is the easy bit. :pok:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 08:50:31 AM
So...

I'm sorry. I'm am profoundly angry and confused at this point. How the living SMURF are you supposed to peen F-ING ANYTHING on this F-ING tool? I have absolutely no idea how to peen the tool once assembled, because I'd just be banging the F-ING rod into a flat surface on the bottom side, and the layers, not being solidly held together, aren't going to support the pin staying straight any more than clamping it in a vice.

I absolutely see no way of doing this without peening one side before assembly.

I want you all to understand, I am LEGITIMATELY pissed at all of this at the moment. This was supposed to be fun. This is not fun. I am not having fun. This is not Lynn's 'I'm havng fun' face.  :rant:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 10:36:31 AM
Have you tried wrapping the tool in tape to stop it flopping around when you hammer it?
Do you have some heavy metal thing to use as an anvil?

Peening can be a smurf in the behind sometimes. :ahhh
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:37:36 AM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 11:11:52 AM
Have you tried wrapping the tool in tape to stop it flopping around when you hammer it?
Do you have some heavy metal thing to use as an anvil?

Peening can be a smurf in the behind sometimes. :ahhh
To echo Pabs, an anvil will make your peening a lot easier Lynn. Do you have a flattish hammer you can use to peen on? Before Sparky hooked me up with a Vice with an anvil, I used to peen on my Estwing hammer - worked really well.

That way you are kind of peening both ends at the same time. What you're after is a mushroom shape on the pin - do one end, turn over and do the other, gently each time, and file the top so you are shortening the pin while 'filling' the bushing.

Use light 'strokes' of the hammer around the edges of the pin and you'll soon see a mushroom shape appear.

Once the pin is nice and tight inside the bushing and is filed level, I use a wide centre punch to finish with. This should ensure that the pin fills the bushing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:29:10 AM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 07:42:51 AM
Sorry you're struggling Lynn. :(

As the others have said - are you using an anvil?  I find that upsetting the rivet lightly with a few taps on both ends to retain the bushes and keep the pins in place helps, and lets me carry on with the peening without the bits going everywhere.

I use the flat side of the hammer to form the majority of the rivet, working around the edge of the rivet head as it forms until it's flush with the bushing.  Then, if I need to tighten the pivot I'll switch to the ball side to enable me to get down inside the bushing.  I don't us a punch to finish, as mine seem to be fairly flush.  If you've got material left sticking up, you can file it off after peening.  I use a 4 oz hammer with a fairly short handle, FWIW.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 02:01:57 AM
Dug up some old pics.

Get it started then add the bushing and continue, lots of little taps.

After fitting cut and file down the other side.

Now find something solid and flat to peen against.

The first one is allowed to be rough, the more you make the better you will get.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 02:36:25 AM
Thanks all.

I'll probably get back onto this project tomorrow.

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 06:28:03 AM
 :like:

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 01:26:15 PM
the most  :o in zoid's post is that he managed to cut something solid with the MP's replaceable wire cutters without them shattering into a thousand pieces  :ahhh :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 10:36:18 PM
Okay, so... long post coming.

This morning, i started off by lopping off the peening I'd done to the larger pins. Then I tried to assemble the tool, and got it about 95% assembled, was checking the functions and...

Heh... I put the scissors in upside down.

:rant:

Fine... took it apart and ... couldn't get it back together. I was incapable of getting a tool in to snap the pieces under the spring after another spacer was in, so had been putting the tools in, with spring in place, layer by layer. First, the tools kept popping out from their tensioned position AND the center pin kept just falling out.

I gave up.

For a couple hours.

Then i had the idea of using a piece of wood as a sort of jig to hold the pins. THEN I had the idea of using binder clips to hold the tools together.

And...

Then the tool started to come together.

Layer by layer... After the opener layer was the scissors...

Then the file...

And (not pictured), the blade layer.

From there, I had a firm hold on all the tool layers, and wrapped it in electrical tape to hold everything together.

I cut off the pins with the wire cutters of a Gerber MP600. Once out in the garage, I placed the bushings on the first pin and started peening.

I peened all the pins just to the point where it was holding the tool together, and then started checking side to side play in the tools as I went.

There were several instances where I didn't cut the pins short enough (I guess better that than too short, huh?) and had to go back with the cutting wheel of my dremel to adjust and repeen.

I filed down the rough remains. I also tried using a hardened punch to dimple the ends of the pins, hoping to seat them better, but if this actually accomplished anything, I couldn't tell.

Finally, back in the house, and pressed the scales back on. When i removed them from the original knife, I bathed the knife in as hot of water as I could stand, hoping to soften the plastic of the scales to do minimal damage and allow them to just be press fit back on, and I don't know if it was that or just luck, but it worked. They are on solid with no wobble just from a press fit.

And here is it... A one-of-a-kind 'Grand Prix'.

It has the opener layer of an early 70s Huntsman, including '+ PAT' on the can opener, awl with no sewing eye, and inside sharpened edge on the cap lifter. It has the newish scissor layer, still has a screw at the pivot, but has backside parcel hook. I decided to use the newer scissors because they were the best available, and replacement springs are easier to find (and replace). It has the file layer from the Automobile Special, which also donated its scales. And it has the newer blade layer of the same Huntsman that donated its scissors, except I swapped the Corkscrew for the square shanked phillips with tin key of the Automobile Special.

I would have loved to keep the small clip-point blade of the older Huntsman, but I didn't want to go messing with mixing parts from different blade layers. I seem to recall Gareth mentioning that it's a BAD IDEA (tm).

So...

SMURF YEAH! I DID IT!  :ahhh :cheers: :drink:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #50 on: April 10, 2018, 10:38:39 PM
 :woohoo:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: April 10, 2018, 10:51:57 PM
Looking good! And that awl that work paid of nice work

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 10:57:26 PM
Great WIP pictures Lynn  :salute:

Nice job  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 10:59:40 PM
Nicely done Lynn !  :like: :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #54 on: April 10, 2018, 11:00:05 PM
Thanks all.

I think I managed to find every conceivable way to screw up at every single step, ruining a few liners during disassembly, failing on the initial peening, so wasting precious pin stock, assembling wrong.

:facepalm:

It was absolutely a learning experience.  :rofl:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #55 on: April 10, 2018, 11:16:18 PM
 :like: great mod Lynn  :salute: I like your jig.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: April 10, 2018, 11:29:00 PM
Nicely done Lynn  :cheers:
And some excellent jig work  :like: :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 11:30:13 PM
Looking good :) I'm getting all inspired here :)

After witnessing all your peenful experiences I thought I'd finally get around to try some threading instead. I expect that will cause issues with the handles of course, but that is another bridge to kick down the road. Or something.

Anyway, the nearest thing to a standard nut size for a 2.25mm rod would be M2.2. That is kind of rare though, so I have no such nuts around here. So instead I figure going up to M2.5 make more sense. That is a common size for both rods and nuts. The rod I found is copper, but that will do just for testing I figure.

This was more nimble work than I thought. After filing the rod end slightly pointy to get an easy and straight start it worked out fine. So under are pictures of the threaded rod and nut, nut on rod, and finally a tube with internal ø2.5mm diameter sliding freely on just to check for straightness. A 91mm SAK tweezer added for scale along with a MultiTool.org sticker as background. (And note to self; clean off threads before taking pictures  :pok: )

Not really easier than peening, but maybe more adjustable and flexible for later changes. Maybe better for Wengers - I think I remember the handle being fastened differently than for Victorinox, so nuts might not be an issue for Wenger?
Unscrewed IMG_8097.jpg
* Unscrewed IMG_8097.jpg (Filesize: 210.98 KB)
Screwed IMG_8096.jpg
* Screwed IMG_8096.jpg (Filesize: 197.29 KB)
Screwed with tube IMG_8095.jpg
* Screwed with tube IMG_8095.jpg (Filesize: 219.59 KB)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:44:51 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

se Offline RF52

Reply #58 on: April 10, 2018, 11:58:43 PM
Great work on your first mod Congrats!

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 12:14:12 AM
:like: great mod Lynn  :salute: I like your jig.
+1, great looking work, and the in-progress pictures are super cool!  :like:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24