Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Officer knife tools no longer snap shut? Spec change?

Offline mattbod

Hi I have had Swiss army knives for years and that clack on shutting has always been a signature. However I recently bought a Swiss Champ and a Huntsman and noticed some tools, especially the can opener (both huntsman and champ) and phillips on the Champ close with no snap at all. It is a soft spongy feeling on closing and doesn't feel as high quality. I sent both back thinking they were faulty but my supplier swisstool.co.uk tested several and found they all had that soft close on those tools at least on the officers knives so I have had to make do.. My Pioneer X has a much stronger spring action and still has that snap shut. As I say it is only on a few of the tools. The main blade, scissors and bottle opener still snap closed. I'm not being overly fussy but am just intrigued.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Officer knife tools no longer snap shut? Spec change?
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 04:08:49 PM
I have noticed Vic uses oil more sparingly now, so perhaps adding a drop of lubricant and working it into the joint could help? I have no info on the problem as such.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:00:45 PM
I've seen variable degrees of "snap" in Victorinox knives. Certainly, we aren't experiencing the same "nail breaker" strength springs that the originals had. Today I'm carrying a Vic Cadet that I bought four or five years ago, and each blade has a lovey snap or  "Walk and Talk". Nice crisp half-stop for the cap lifter.

Offline mattbod

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:40:53 PM
Thanks for that: at Steiner I don't think it is oil as the can opener moves well just without that "walk talk" as the gent above mentions. The alox knife still has it.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:45:36 PM
My recently acquired MTo Pioneer X has great "walk and talk". A relatively recent Spartan has a soft and sloppy feel, especially for the small blade. Could be that the tolerances aren't as crisp for these blades or the springs just aren't as strong.

Hopefully a modd'er will chime in with some observations on the tolerances of some recent knife parts vs. vintage SAK part.  :cheers:

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:22:18 PM
I don't think it's reasonable to expect Alox-like snap out of the 91mm Cellidor knives.  In fact the only 91mm knives I've ever seen with that strong of a snap are my two Syph customs.  With that said, I do think there is a difference in the strength of the "snap" between modern and older Vics.  For example, I've got a 60+-year-old 84mm in my pocket today, and both the cap lifter and can opener still snap shut with authority.  The can openers on many of my newer Vics do feel "mushy" by comparison.  I don't know why this is, but I do know that I don't personally consider the modern Vics to be of lesser quality because of it.  Every modern Vic in my collection still gives the impression that it will provide multiple lifetimes of service, and I've no doubt my sons will still be using them long after I'm gone.
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:16 PM
Within the last 10 month or so I had the same problem on 2 SAK. Both times at the bottle and can opener layer. The second time was in the shop still so I've got handed another one which was fine.
Both also had the scissor/plier pivots a bit too tight for my liking.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:37:26 PM by MTMatt »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 09:29:05 PM
The can opener is known for not having a snap like other tools.

Nothing to worry about ;)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 09:39:19 PM
The can opener is known for not having a snap like other tools.

Nothing to worry about ;)

Believe me, mine had to be pushed back in, so they were not ok.
But I know what you mean and do agree that they often feel like having a softer snap.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 10:09:17 PM
Openers layer actually didn't snap at all on my 89-91 SwissChamp but a generous application of oil fixed that, though can opener has the signature softer snap. I've an apparently more recent Spartan as well and it has good snap. I think it may be particularly pronounced on this layer as if you examine the tools you see that both openers have a lot of contact with the sides, and thus friction, while the tools are relatively short so they don't torque themselves shut like longer tools.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:37:12 AM by Gath »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:22 PM
Openers layer actually didn't snap at all on my 89-91 SwissChamp but a generous application of oil fixed that, though can opener has the signature softer snap. I've an apparently more recent Spartan as well and it has good snap. I think it may be particularly pronounced on this layer as if you examine the tools you see that both openers have a lot of contact with the sides, and thus friction, while to tools are relatively short so they don't torque themselves shut like longer tools.

That's a good observation there. And they have a lot of surface that could potentially get in contact with the outer liner too.

EDIT:
I think I just repeated what you said already  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:53:41 PM by MTMatt »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 11:35:56 PM
Sounds like QC is slipping at Vic    :whistle:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 11:37:06 PM
Maybe the spring metal has been changed to something less likely to break at the expense of a softer snap?  ???

I don’t have any evidence for this, I just pulled this theory out of thin air.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 11:37:50 PM
If it is, still not as bad as LM’s. :whistle:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:46:45 PM by SteveC »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 11:47:48 PM

They're still playing catch up with Leatherman   :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 11:52:03 PM

... but I love them when they're just right   :D

Offline mattbod

Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 06:21:05 AM
Looks like the issue was oil sorry to the gentleman  @Steinar above he was absolutely right. Mushy closing is due to badly lubricated springs apparently. I never knew that I thought it would make them stiff not mushy...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 08:44:23 AM
Aha!
So no QC problem!
:ahhh
:D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 09:17:46 AM
Aha!
So no QC problem!
:ahhh
:D

Yes and no ...

No because you would have to clean and oil your SAK once in a while after all, yes, because you shouldn't have to oil it right out of the factory.

In some way the same can be said for Leatherman's too loose/too tight problem on their inside tools, there you have to buy a set of security torx bits and some oil to give it some TLC, while the Vic tools only need some oil  ;).

But in both cases this should not be necessary right out of the factory in my humble opinion.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 09:47:48 AM
True!

Offline mattbod

Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 04:36:28 PM
Yea it is a small QC problem as it means the knives are not getting enough oil at the factory or being checked as thorouhly. It doesn't make a good impression with someone who doesn't know how to investigate or solve problems lol. My new Swisschamp was thr same: oil solved it. They are hand assembled I hear so I would have thought a human would make sure it was all oiled up well. I still love these knives though I posted as I have never.come across this until recently.

Oh well glad to join the forum and thank goodness for 3 in 1

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD