Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lman Serac S2 replacement?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Lman Serac S2 replacement?
on: March 31, 2018, 10:12:42 AM
After all this time and gentle use the Leatherman Serac S2 finally kicked the bucket. Cannot get the CREE module to kick back in.

A couple of weeks ago it started acting up and I tapped the had on something metal and it worked for a while. Then the other day, nothing. Placed batteries, nothing, Tried 6 different new batteries.Even tried bypassing the switch and shorting from battery end ti case, no response. Guess it's dead, Jim.

Have liked the two dimming feature which made batteries last long, and carried in the old Leatherman sheath or in my past pocket. Since Leatherman originally sold it am thinking of sending it to them for a product replacement - as at the time I think these has 15 year warranties. This was way before LED Lenser came into the picture.

So now the search for a more superior AAA flashlight. These are great for attaching to the bills of caps & hats, clipping to pockets and pocket flaps, and many other tasks. And the Serac S2 was waterproof too. Hopefully the search for a replacement will not take too long.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Lman Serac S2 replacement?
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:21:47 PM
Fenix LD02.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:49:45 AM
as a last diitch effort, try cleaning the threads, and the end of the tube under the threads. the bare metal part, also try rubbing alcohol on the contacts
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:02:59 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline Choozoo

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:53:52 AM
What is your price range?

Some good options to get you started...
Streamlight Microstream - Not significantly brighter than your Serac but almost indestructible, great warranty & a fantastic two way clip.
Lumintop Tool* - Arguably the current standard in 1xAAA tail clicky lights. 3 modes, well made & better ergonomics than you expect.
Hugsby XP-1  - Budget (<$10 on eBay) well made single mode light. Lots of fakes floating around but one seller (Tom Top) on eBay is reliable.

*You can find the Tool in Titanium & Copper in addition to the standard anodized aluminum and if you are willing to wait for a direct shipment from China you can find it cheaper than on Amazon.

us Offline Choozoo

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 02:20:05 PM
Hugsby is on the far right. 3rd from the right is a Tool in Copper. 4th from the right is a Tool in titanium (they have an e switch instead of a clicky which is why it is slightly shorter). Far left is an old 1st gen Microstream with ITP Eos A3 head (ITP was an Olight sub).

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 11:06:09 AM
  Was tempted in getting the AAA Fenix light but Amazon wanted $30 for it. Was about to order one then seen an AA version. Okay, so it is wider, a tad longer, and does not have a pocket clip that I can see, but the specs and light to battery ratio seemed better.

So used the PepsiCo bonus check to get a Fenix E12 XP-E2 Mini Pocket LED Light a bit ago. Like the Led Lenser M5 that I have but wanting something smaller to carry at work, even if in the pants pocket, if not the new Leatherman nylon sheaths. The M5 seems a tad too long to carry around in the elastic pouch, although I run the lanyard over the flap -- providing the Lman flap stays shut.

Am liking the 3AAA light from CAT, but its belt clip does not quite stay put on me (big fella). Got some rechargeable batteries for it today too.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:51 PM
Thrunite Ti3 is $14 on amazon, its a good AAA light, with two dim and one very bright modes.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44