Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's $15 MT Challenge

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Lynn's $15 MT Challenge
on: April 02, 2018, 07:44:22 AM
And, back for another round of Bargain MTs. This is the third in this series.
First was the $5 Challenge... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75094.0.html
Then the $10 Challenge... https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75705.0.html

I have again taken up the challenge of finding tools at reasonable prices.

This time, we're looking at the astounding price of $15 per tool.

As with the previous two, I've tried to find new, used, keychain, light duty, and heavy duty tools.

I think at this price point, I will be able to get some really good name-brand tools.

Hope you'll all follow along as I most likely stab myself a few times, cuss loudly, and leave a wake of whittled wood, shredded cardboard, and bent bottlecaps in my wake.  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Lynn's $15 MT Challenge
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:17:55 AM
First contestant in the challenge, is a used Leatherman Rev, purchased on ebay for $12.50.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76695.0.html

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 01:11:12 PM
 :popcorn:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
A used quality tool for $15? Easy peasy I predict.  :D

:popcorn:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:32:36 PM
The previous quests were interesting, so there's every reason to believe that with a $15 limit this will be even more so.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 03:16:34 PM
No way is the Rev going to win, but it'll sure be interesting to watch.
At $15, we'll be looking at some really nice MTs.  :like:

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 04:34:39 PM
this could have a lot of gems within
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 05:03:58 PM
yeah that price range allows for thousands of options and hundreds of quality ones   :o
This one will be a tough fight.  :ahhh

Looking forward to it!  :popcorn:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:31:03 PM
This should be good.  I've been carrying the MP-400 from the $10 challenge and I still can't believe it was only $10. :cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 07:13:45 PM
This should be good.  I've been carrying the MP-400 from the $10 challenge and I still can't believe it was only $10. :cheers:

That is absolutely awesome to hear!  :cheers:

That MP400 was a great catch, and it's going to be hard to top, but I'm going to give it a try.

I mention it in the thread for the Leatherman Rev, but I actually found another Leatherman PST, this time for $15, but decided not to put it in this challenge, since I'd already covered it in the $10 Challenge. However, I think finding PSTs aroud the $15 price is more likely, and it seems EASY at $20.

I'm also going to skip reviewing the Victorinox Classic, which can be purchased new for under $15. I covered a good used one of those already also. But people should know! The Classic is less than $15 BRAND NEW, and is a great tool.  :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 07:56:01 PM
The next contender, a used Alox Bantam

Here's a link to its thread...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76716.0.html

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 03:07:30 AM
Lynn, now we're getting in the price range where we'll probably have to put new and used tools into different categories of winner.

When the state sells off the TSA hostages, PSTs, Multipliers, and 5-6 layer SAKs are in the $15 range.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 05:37:29 PM
The next tool to be reviewed is the 'YAX' knife.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76752.msg1672421.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 06:08:00 PM
(posted in the wrong thread... oops)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 09:46:29 PM
Next contestant, a brand new Gerber Dime.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76816.0.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 12:42:39 PM
oh no!!

:dwts:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:24 PM
The next entrant in the challenge... a used Victorinox Rucksack.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76834.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 04:37:24 PM
Next challenger is a used Gerber Multi-Plier.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76864.0.html

And as a reminder, this month's donation draw prize is a Gerber Multi-Plier. So if you'd like one of these (except in better condition than the one I'm reviewing), donate for a chance to win one.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76826.0.html

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 04:44:33 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 04:46:02 PM
Some stiff competition in this challenge.

Though the most surprising thing to me is that they apparently made Dimes that actually have functional wire cutters. Mine are so blunt they literally can't cut anything but air. Everything solid just slides out of the cutters  :facepalm:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 06:12:38 PM
Some stiff competition in this challenge.

Though the most surprising thing to me is that they apparently made Dimes that actually have functional wire cutters. Mine are so blunt they literally can't cut anything but air. Everything solid just slides out of the cutters  :facepalm:

I got a Dime not long after they first came out, and my wire cutters on that pair had that problem as well. This new one didn't have that issue. It, and the easier extraction of all tools were two marked improvements i noted over my first one (which i long since gave away to my brother).

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:31 PM
The next competitor is a used (but almost like-new) Gerber Suspension.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76875.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
I put this post in the wrong thread (deleted)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:33:22 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:34 PM
Our next contestant, a used Bear and Sons 'Craftsman 45521'.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76890.0.html

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 08:19:57 PM
Yeah, and i paid $15 for it!

Did I ever mention that I kind of love pawn shops sometimes? :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 07:48:27 PM
Next contestant, a 'frankenstein' MP-600, some black oxide parts, some plain stainless steel..
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76922.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 06:06:20 AM
Lynn, now we're getting in the price range where we'll probably have to put new and used tools into different categories of winner.

When the state sells off the TSA hostages, PSTs, Multipliers, and 5-6 layer SAKs are in the $15 range.

I didn't want to reply to this until after I reviewed the MP600... but yes, they absolutely ARE in the $15 price range. Good call on that. :D

And as I mentioned elsewhere, I snagged a Victorinox Ranger for $15, and it was only bumped off the list because I thought the Rucksack was more interesting.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 07:33:12 PM
The final entrant in the challenge, a modified Leatherman Fuse.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76936.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 11:32:42 PM
And that's it. We now have our ten contestants.

So, as with the previous challenge. There's no easy and clear winner. I think I could safely make ONE elimination, but even that is iffy. Everything here depends on what you need in a tool, and what you're willing to sacrifice. There are certainly tools with more functions, but they come at higher weights.

So, let's start with one possible need that would drive your decision. Pocketability.

Here, I've arranged the tools in the challenge from left to right for most pocketable.

The Alox Bantam is BY FAR the most pocketable tool. It weighs about half as much as even the Dime, and is extremely slim. Next step up would be the Dime, at a little over 2 oz. in weight, and still relatively slim. Then the YAX knife, still slim, but now pushing close to 4oz in weight, and while slim, it's rather long, and might need a dangler clip to be a comfortable carry. Then come the two Leatherman tools, with pocket clips. Each of them are over 6 oz. but carry pretty well even for their weight. Finally is the Rucksack, which I find very uncomfortable without a dangler clip. And I don't really think anythign else really qualifies as reasonably pocket carry capable.

The tool density on the Bantam is also the lowest. However, the still-very-light Dime has a very high tool density, if all you need are very light duty tools. The YAX knife is like any 2-layer Victorinox knife, decent, not incredible, and is already getting near 'heavy' for pocket carry.

If the function you prioritize for is locking blade, then the order looks like this...

The Rucksack wins pretty clearly, followed by the Rev, then the Craftsman. After this, while the blades are locking, they are inside folding, making access to the cutting edge more troublesome, as wit hthe Fuse, until we end up with the increasingly less useful and shortening wharncliffs of the MP600 and Suspension.

If what you need is a good locking Phillips driver, then the order looks like this...

With the Fuse having a great locking driver that also has a long reach. Then the Craftsman, the stubby MP600, and the almost 2-D phillips of the Suspension.

If what you need is a sturdy locking flathead, and here I'm mostly considering it as a pry tool, then the order looks like this...

The Gerbers have REALLY sturdy flatheads, even the Suspension. However, both the Fuse and Craftsman are both great flatheads.

If you want to look at the tool solely as a pair of pliers, then I'd put the order like this...

And arguably, the Multi-Plier might actually be a better pair of pliers. it's just that the 'pinch' problem with ergonomics is going to always make me want to take an MP600 over it every day. I simply don't like pain. The issue of why the Craftsman beats the Fuse is one of ergonomics as well. The Rev is not quite as robust as the Fuse, and the Suspension is just not in the same class of hard-use as any of the rest shown. Obviously, the pliers on the Dime are in the 'ultra-light' kind of range.

More comparisons to come, as i think of them. But I hope it's clear that there's no simple answer to this challenge.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 05:12:56 AM
I think I'm going to eliminate a few contenders.

The Gerber Multi-Plier sadly was literally replaced by the MP-600, and i honestly think the MP-600 is an improvement. So I'm going to eliminate the Multi-Plier. However, I wish to extend my gratitude for the service provided by our own Mr. Pinchy in this trial, and give sincere thanks that I didn't end up with a blood blister in my palm from my time using it.

The second elimination is the Leatherman Rev. If you take away a very slight weight advantage, and outside access blade, it ties or loses in all other ways to the Fuse.  It's a pretty capable tool, but it's light to medium duty, and most folks here are in need of something more robust. Because of this, I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.

Likewise, because of not being heavy duty, the Suspension doesn't get much love on the boards here, but is still a pretty excellent tool, with a lot of function. It's just not built like a tank.

Sadly, it seems that in almost every way except pocketability, the Rucksack seems to equal or edge out the YAX knife. However, the YAX knife is a very cool and somewhat historically interesting tool, that proved itself to be an amazing piece.

Regardless of the extremely amazing slim carry of the Alox Bantam, it is simply too low on functions to really win for 'best tool', when other tools are so much more capable in so many ways. It is an amazing tool, just not the best for the money.

And, the Gerber Dime is a pretty good tool, but suffers from being the only new tool in the competition, meaning all other tools were already better values per dollar, being purchased used. My opinion of the tool improved greatly from my previous experience, and it's not a bad little tool now. It's just outclassed by good, used pieces.

That leaves the MP-600, the Fuse, the Craftsman, and the Rucksack.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%