Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's $15 MT Challenge

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Lynn's $15 MT Challenge
Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 11:25:44 PM
 Consider yourself lucky. I've gotten a blood blister from my Mr. Pinchy every time I cut hard wire, or torque down on a bolt. However, I wanted a decent fishing tool, so I took the plier head from the Winchester Fishing Tool (which is based on the Chinese made Carolina Knife and Tool version of Mr. Pinchy) and stuck in it. I noticed that the handles stayed open just a bit more when the pliers were deployed). However, those pliers were so tough, I might just be changing it back (if I can find the springs they used in the buttons, I accidentally mangled one of the Multi Plier's springs). I have a dedicated pair of pliers like the Fishing Tool's head in my tacklebox and will probably be buying a KVD fishing MT next time I'm at Walmart.

That reminds me, I really need to get a Craftsman Bear Jaws such as the one you tried. A major subcollection of mine is knives and MTs branded for hand tool manufacturers--most are Klein and Craftsman.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 11:35:00 PM
That reminds me, I really need to get a Craftsman Bear Jaws such as the one you tried. A major subcollection of mine is knives and MTs branded for hand tool manufacturers--most are Klein and Craftsman.

The Craftsman is an excellent tool, IMO.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 12:13:10 AM
I think I feel safe in also eliminating the Rucksack. It is a great tool, with a lot of function in not much weight, but I think it falls a bit short in function compared to the others.

So, the remaining contestants... The Fuse, the MP600, and the Craftsman.

All have locking tools. All are very sturdy. The MP600 might be the most sturdy of the lot, but I'm not sure the difference is worth worrying about.

The MP600 and Craftsman both have good files, although the Craftsman's is better. The Fuse has great scissors. Their toolsets are otherwise pretty similar.

The MP600 and Craftsman have great ergonomics as pliers. The MP600 and Fuse have great ergonomics for all of the other tools. Notice the MP600 was on both list?

The Fuse is 179g (6.32oz)
The Craftsman is 195g (6.86oz)
The MP600 is  235g (8.27oz)

So there's 10g difference (about a third of an ounce) between the Fuse and the Craftsman, then 40g (1.4oz) difference between the Craftsman and the MP600, and almost a full 2 oz difference between the Fuse and the MP600.

This weight difference, coupled with the lack of carry method for the MP600 means I'm going to knock the mP600 out of the running, leaving just two.

The Fuse, and the Craftsman.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 03:38:20 AM
I am going to bring up some 'features' of each of the two remaining tools that have pretty much nothing to physically do with the actual tool.

Warranty: While Bear and Son has warranty on their tools, they require $8 return shipping, and i have no idea what the reputation of their customer service is like.
I'm pretty sure Leatherman would even service a modified knife.

Replacement Parts: Assuming you didn't want to send your tool in for service, finding replacement parts for the tools leans extremely strong toward Leatherman.

And now back to actual function.

The big advantage the Craftsman has over the Fuse is outside access tools. The big advantage the Fuse has is very easy to operate tool locks. I've used MTs with inside access tools enough to know that it's just a minor annoyance. Where the lock issue might press all the way into potential safety issues. As a final factor, and this is completely ME, and MY use of a tool. I would 10 times out of 10 take good scissors over a file for general use.

And so it is, that without need of survey, or great debate, I feel confident in crowning the Modified Leatherman Fuse the winner of the $15 MT Challenge.

This was the first time where I felt that every tool was worth the money I paid for it. While the Rev and Suspension might not be deeply loved on these forums, they are great basic MTs. The Dime impressed me with the improvement in quality from the first one I had, and is a pretty decent little keychain MT. I think the Bantam would last forever, and never look a day older. The Rucksack is, in my opinion, one of hte most criminally underlooked 111mm knives that Vic makes, and would be GREAT for camping and hiking. The YAX knife is a surprisingly solid and well made piece of history. Both of the Gerber sliding head pliers are TANKS, and would be great for hard use. The Craftsman was a great, surprising find.

Thanks all for reading. I think this will conclude the $X Challenges. Grant suggested he had 'something else in mind' going forward. I'm still as in the dark as the rest of you as to what that might be, but I suspect more shenanigans of some sort will follow.

And as always, please feel free to donate a few bucks to the site, to support this kind of... well... 'research' I guess.  :salute:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 08:40:44 AM
 :salute: or  :cheers: or both!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 12:50:03 PM
I also hold the Fuse in high regard, and the scissors would have probably made me choose it as the winner this time,  ::) but the MP600 is very close second and I much prefer its pliers.  :like:

FUSE is very carry friendly, thin and light

and I carry mine from time to time, but I blunted its nose  :)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 01:06:04 PM
This was a pleasantly long and interesting journey to follow through.  :tu: Not only was this a challenge, with great hands on and unforgiving testing from Lynn, it's undoubtedly serves as a real life real use review of the many tools that was tested.  :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 03:39:59 PM
Great job as always Lynn and thank you for taking the time to do this review/challenge    :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%