Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Used Alox Bantam (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Used Alox Bantam (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
on: April 03, 2018, 07:54:34 PM
This review is part of a challenge, to find the best tool I could for $15 or less, tax and shipping included. Here's a link to the main thread of the challenge.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76694.0.html

This knife was part of a lot I purchased, and was worth about $14 of what I paid for the lot.

As received, I honestly couldn't tell it from new. It is part of the Victorinox 84mm line, and weighs just over 1 oz (29g). The 'walk and talk' of the tool is fantastic, with very crisp snap to both tools, and good strong retention in the open position. The most striking feature of this knife, I would say, is how slim it is. It's about 6mm (1/4") thick. This makes it incredibly comfortable, essentially invisible really, for pocket carry.

in the several months I've been really keeping an eye on ebay, I have only seen a very small number of Alox knives come up anywhere near the $15 price range, and they have all been 57mm Classics. Cadets show up occasionally, but rarely under $30. I think I saw one sell at $24 once. So, I would say finding an Alox Bantam at $14 is a very good (but not impossible) bargain.

I believe at the time of this writing, the Alox version of the Bantam is discontinued, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Correction or confirmation from more knowledgeable folks is appreciated.

Obviously, because the Bantam has so few tools on it, this is going to be a fairly short review, but I hope you'll come along for the ride.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Used Alox Bantam (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:10:58 PM
The blade.

This is the standard blade on the 84mm Victorinox line. I tested the edge upon receiving it, and it would cut receipt paper cleanly.

I gave it ten passes through cardboard (heavy, but non-corrugated. I ran out of boxes to cut up).

I have experienced this a few times with smaller blades. When you cut cardboard with them, doing several cuts in rapid succession, these things can really heat up from friction. That was the case with this as well. I was kind of expecting the slim handle to have terrible ergonomics doing this hard cutting, but I honestly didn't have any problem, and the alox scales gave really good grip on the tool.

Afterward, I took it back to the paper cut test, where it had no problem cutting receipt paper. It had some hesitation on phonebook paper, so I gave it 20 very light strokes on ceramic rods, after which it would cut very cleanly through the phonebook paper. Had I stropped it at that point, I think it would have been shaving sharp.

I don't normally do this test, but I decided to test it as a food cutting knife. One of the reasons I think an 84mm knife would be better than the Victorinox 57mm line for something like through-hiking is light food prep, like hard cheese or summer sausage. I have tried using both the 57mm and 74mm tools to cut food, and they are both horribly uncomfortable. The backside tools on them are a killer. The Bantam was much more comfortable for the task, and as with all of the Vic blades, cleaning up was very simple.

If you are concerned about the 'black stuff' on the cheese, that's just spices from the rind, not mold. I'm fine.  :D

The 84mm blade is the smallest blade in the Victorinox line that feels like a 'real blade' to me, capable of heavier work. I know from doing the cardboard cut test on a Classic that it's all in my head, but it still FEELS very solid. I don't know if there's much else to say. Great light duty blade, that is insanely easy to resharpen. Complete win.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 08:26:38 PM
And now, the only other tool on the Bantam, the Combo Tool.

This is NOT the first 84mm Vic I've owned with a Combo Tool, but the only other one I have I only got weeks before this one, so I'm pretty new to it.

Okay, so how does it work as a light flathead screwdriver?

No problem. Slotted into the flathead of a lightswitch faceplate cleanly.

As a HEAVY flathead screwdriver?

Here it is against the hinge screws in my house. It actually did the job, but I had the sense that it was near the edge of its capability. Still, it DID work.

Okay. I've heard they'll work as phillips drivers...

Okay. Wow. It worked in all three of the phillips screws in my cabinet doors. I will NOT be trying it on the phillips screws in my wood bench. I'm not crazy. Lets just all be amazed at the fact it works on phillips screws at all and leave it at that.

I also think I'm going to skip the crusty paint can pry test. It MIGHT work, but I don't think I want to chance it.

How does it work as a cap lifter?

Very well, thank you very much.

And as a can opener?

Yeah... pretty well. The somewhat dull 'point' requires a bit more force for the initial puncture of the can, but nothing terrible, and once the initial puncture is made, it's smooth going from there. It should be noted that this style cuts clockwise, unlike the normal Vic can opener that cuts counterclockwise.

I also tested the wire stripper, but it was kind of 'meh' and i think I could have done just as well with any sort of edged portion of the tool.

Understanding that this thing is pretty strictly limited to light duty function, it is kind of amazingly versatile.

Flathead/phillips/pry/cap lift/can open light duty work: PASS

If you are going to pair a blade with only one other tool... wow... this one is extraordinarily useful.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:36:39 PM
In closing, I think the only other thing to mention are the scales, and what it DOESN'T have.

The plain silver Alox scales are going to make this thing age incredibly well. It will look new or new-ish for a LONG time. It will handle if you have it in a pocket with keys or a flashlight.

And what it's missing? Obviously, the Alox scales don't have space for the toothpick and tweezers common to most Victorinox knives. It also doesn't have a lanyard ring. This might be an issue making the knife easier to lose.

In the realm of lightweight (although i can't literally say 'keychain' with the absence of the lanyard) tools, this thing is pretty amazing. It's the kind of tool that could last a lifetime. I personally find it to be incredibly beautiful, both aesthetically and in functional design.

While other tools in the challenge will undoubtedly offer more functions, this tool is absolutely worth every cent of $14.

The alox scales give it a sort of 'classy' look. The 84mm size is non-threatening, and the slim package could be carried in business attire without standing out in a pocket.

I think I like it more than the Cadet, honestly.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:20:35 PM
Cool that you like it. My hands think the alox Bantam actually is a little too thin for comfort. Really looking forward to the next tool as well.  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:46:28 PM
:dd:
Good review!
Never had an Alox bantam before, but I don’t think that the combo tool is for me, I need my opener layers for prying duty. :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:48:10 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 12:15:35 AM
Excellent review Lynn - been quite intrigued by the Bantam for a while now.  :salute:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 12:28:14 AM
Thanks all.  :cheers:

I need my opener layers for prying duty. :D

This is a legitimate issue, I think. The one weak spot on the tool is that is doesn't having the prying capability of any 84mm or 91mm with a flathead/caplifter. On the UP side, the peening into alox scales might actually make it stronger than the brass bushings/aluminum spacers.

Still, something like a Cadet would definitely have it beat.

I am not exactly sure how strong the combo tool is for prying, but I think it would handle light jobs easily, and probably a lot more moderate duty jobs than i give it credit for. However, I'm NOT going to wreck this tool testing its limits. It's just TOO PRETTY! :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 12:29:34 AM
My hands think the alox Bantam actually is a little too thin for comfort.

Also a legitimate issue. I have medium hands with shortish fingers. I could definitely see how it could be uncomfortably small for folks with larger hands.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 03:02:23 AM
Having a LOT experince abusing the 91mm of the prying tool, this should be able to handle your nasty paint cans. Heck, a p38 can opener is what my dad has used since before I was, and he used to be a house painter.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 04:09:50 AM
Having a LOT experince abusing the 91mm of the prying tool, this should be able to handle your nasty paint cans.

Challenge accepted... with my RUSTIEST,CRUSTIEST paint can!!!  :viking:

And the winner is...

Forfeiture.

Apparently the rustiness was TOO rusty. The can just mangled, instead of opening, but the Bantam seemed to do it's pry duty without complaint.

Bantam as pry tool: Pass  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 12:03:56 PM
excellent review as usual Lynn.  :like:

Three things that made me pause:

a- AFAIK the Alox Bantam is indeed discontinued  :P
b- You keep saying "57mm" Victorinox in the paragraphs, meaning the smallest Vics. Isn't that 58mm?  :think:
c- You didn't test the wire bender on this tool, and some people do use it   :pok:

but this was thorough and entertaining all the way   :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 09:38:35 PM
b- You keep saying "57mm" Victorinox in the paragraphs, meaning the smallest Vics. Isn't that 58mm?

DAMMIT!  I mean... uh... nooo.... I like to file off the last mm of my classics....  :facepalm:

c- You didn't test the wire bender on this tool, and some people do use it   :pok:

Just tested it and... it works...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:00:47 PM
b- You keep saying "57mm" Victorinox in the paragraphs, meaning the smallest Vics. Isn't that 58mm?

DAMMIT!  I mean... uh... nooo.... I like to file off the last mm of my classics....  :facepalm:

Just tested it and... it works...

:salute: :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%