Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Manker E02 first impressions.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Manker E02 first impressions.
on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:36 AM
So after seeing the Manker E02 for the first time in the forum I wanted to give one a try. I love single cell AAA and AA lights and it being a right angled light made it even more appealing. For $20 I figured what the heck.

I received it a couple days ago and have gotten some impressions of it to relay to the fine folks here at MTO.

First thing I noticed was the terrible pits in the metal as well as the poor finish. I also realized they forgot to include the extra O-rings in the package. I played with the UI and do not like it much. The UI just is not my style and not because it is slightly complicated as I love the Zebralight UI. The actual clicky is much to easy to press and is to pronounced. I wish it was recessed a bit or harder to click. I have already had countless accidental activations in the short time I have owned it. That is with the head of the light positioned either way on the clip. If it is head down in the pocket the contents of my pocket easily activate the clicky. If it is head up my hand or belt or whatever else constantly activates the light. It is fairly inexpensive, but for the quality of the fit and finish I feel like it should be a sub $20 light. The pocket clip is actually quite nice and has great retention and deep carry is always a plus. The tail magnet is very strong which is also very nice. That’s honestly the only two things I can say for the positives as of now. On paper it seemed like a great light for me but I overlooked a few details that make it a failure for me. The problem with unwanted activation and the clicky being much to easy to click is a huge problem and one that will cause me to never carry this light. I was really hoping to find a inexspensive right angled light that worked for me but I have been dissapointed in this one sadly. I am debating on keeping it as a “around the house” light, but I have plenty of those already. I may return it and try something completely different. I will give it a few more days before making a decision though.

Sorry for the negative review but I just want to put it out there in case anyone like myself is considering buying one. These problems may be problems for you as well.
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Manker E02 first impressions.
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:19:12 AM
I’m sorry to hear this, Captain.  :(
Where’d you buy it? Pitted finish and missing oring would probably make me try to return it or get a refund, if possible.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 02:24:46 PM
Bought it on Amazon.
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:32:41 PM
Amazon has that nice return policy, right? :think:
(Never had to use it, yet)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:41:25 PM
Reading about your experience with the button got me thinking.  :think:
On my E03H, which I think has the same button, it requires about 160g (5.6oz) of force to press down.
I wonder if it’s the same for yours?

All hail the hook!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 03:21:50 PM
Got my E02 yesterday and initial impressions are mixed as well. I know it's only a $20 but I'm left a little wanting. My finish was pitted and I got my o-rings bit I have the same feelings about the buttons tactile feeling. Clip should work really well and the magnetic tailcap will come in handy. Maybe I'm left wanting after getting the 4sevens mini mk2. That light is a beast in such and small package, blows my mind. But there's also a dollar difference that shows why they are so different. The new Fenix right angle is on my light and that may solve the problem. I'm going to rock the E02 for a few days and see if my initial impressions change.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 07:31:26 PM
Two people with E02’s that had pitted finish?  :think:

Just to check, what does this pitted finish look like?

I wonder if there was a bad batch, I know that Jaya_man has an E02 that looks good, and I have an E03H with which I didn’t see any flaw in the finish. Also have another E03H on the way(long story involving the postal system) and will report on the finish of that one too.

All hail the hook!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 07:39:20 PM
I can only send pictures through email so I am not much help but I can send you some later if your curious.mine isn’t only pitted but the stainless ring that holds on the glass is also corroded. I thought it was dirt or grease when I first saw it but nope, it’s corrosion its a unfinished bit or something like that. A fairly large section as well. The pitting on the actual light is worse in some spots than others. Some portions are quite deep.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:40:24 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:10:08 PM
Well that definitely sounds like an anomaly.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 03:14:35 PM
After playing with the E02 my feelings have changed somewhat. I love the extreme compact size for what it can do. Yes the on/off/mode switch is easy to press and it is an inconvenience. I was carrying it head up but had turned the light on accidentally. Now it's upside down and all usually carry is my pocket is my car key. Upside down it's deeper in the pocket with no exposed button. In turbo mode it has a respectable 220 lumens, not bad for a little light. Overall my impressions are changing for this incredibly affordable pocket light.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 06:01:01 AM
any photos of the surface imperfections?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 06:45:59 AM
I didn’t take any photos as I can’t post them anyways.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 07:08:24 AM

thought David might have had a pic as he mentioned similar issue. Have you tried Flickr Capt?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 08:16:48 AM

thought David might have had a pic as he mentioned similar issue. Have you tried Flickr Capt?

I use Flickr, but all I have is my phone now and I cannot seem to find out how to upload from Flickr from my phone for some reason.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 11:38:19 PM
Well the E02 is dead. I found the clicky button and reinstalled it but the light would not turn on. Went to unscrew the tailcap to check the battery and it was stuck. Got out the pliers and opened it up to find the brand new battery (name brand) had exploded destroying the light and lodging itself in the E02. I know it was not the battery as I have batteries from the same pack in other lights and they are fine. This has been the worst light I have ever owned and it’s been nothing but problems since day one leading up to a catastrophic failure. A complete waste of money.
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 12:07:49 AM
Lithium battery?

All hail the hook!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 01:27:49 AM
Lithium battery?

Nope. Duracell alkaline.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 04:42:32 AM
wow, that light was cursed from the get go  :facepalm:
Take a look at skilhunt H03, It's bee solid since I got it and much higher output with 18650 battery

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 04:54:06 AM
wow, that light was cursed from the get go  :facepalm:
Take a look at skilhunt H03, It's bee solid since I got it and much higher output with 18650 battery

It seems that way.  :rant:

Nice looking light, but I can’t afford that right now and I don’t do 18650’s. I strictly only buy lights with AA or AAA’s with the exception of my 3D cell maglite. I have owned other battery type flashlights in the past, but stick with the AA’s or AAA’s now.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 05:00:13 AM
gotcha, I got it from grrbest months ago for about $25, much pricier elsewhere. If you want to get a cheap AA with good output take a look at Sofirn brand, they make decent budget lights that are high quality and good ratings on BLF

Maybe also look into some Ni-Mh batteries and charger, it has save me a lot of $ over the years, and they don't leak like alkalines, I have eneloops that are going strong after 7 years already.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:05:50 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 06:00:50 AM
gotcha, I got it from grrbest months ago for about $25, much pricier elsewhere. If you want to get a cheap AA with good output take a look at Sofirn brand, they make decent budget lights that are high quality and good ratings on BLF

Maybe also look into some Ni-Mh batteries and charger, it has save me a lot of $ over the years, and they don't leak like alkalines, I have eneloops that are going strong after 7 years already.

I have a bunch of lights. I just wanted a beater (right angled) light. I have a Zebralight headlamp that’s my go to headlamp and right angled light. I also have a bunch of rechargeable AA’s and AAA’s. Love my Eneloops.  :tu:

I honestly didn’t need the Manker but it looked like a nice light for a good price. Boy was I wrong!  :o :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:01:51 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 08:14:38 AM
Lithium battery?

Nope. Duracell alkaline.
Those are called “duraleaks” on the flashlight forum for a reason..... they like to poo inside electrical devices! I’ve seen it happen myself.
All alkalines are susceptible to this.

Just checked, it appears to be commonplace enough that Duracell has a section on their FAQ about leaky batteries.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 01:29:54 PM
I use "leakers" in all of my EDC lights all the time every day and I have not had any issues with them for years.
As long as you use the light a lot and keep batteries moving through them it seems there is little chance of an incident in general at least this is the case for me.
I am saying that I carry at least 4 lights on me every minute of every day with Alkalines in them and have had no leaking.

I realize too that I have now cursed myself but I still needed to pass on my own experience.

This light of the Captains though seems to have been troubled from the start and I am not going to hold any issues in the end against the batteries either.

YMMV obviously.

Lithium battery?

Nope. Duracell alkaline.
Those are called “duraleaks” on the flashlight forum for a reason..... they like to poo inside electrical devices! I’ve seen it happen myself.
All alkalines are susceptible to this.

Just checked, it appears to be commonplace enough that Duracell has a section on their FAQ about leaky batteries.  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 01:50:33 PM
Point(s) taken. :salute:

Leaving the leaking issue aside, out of curiosity, why use them instead of rechargeables?

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 09:12:00 PM

Leaving the leaking issue aside, out of curiosity, why use them instead of rechargeables?

Practical & Convenient really.

I can go through several batteries a day at times and I have tried for many years to make recharging work for me and the bottom line is that is does not.
If I want to have light as needed I need to use throw away batteries,plain and simple.

I am not Lazy and have no vendetta against Mother Earth,I just know myself and my limitations and if it were left to me recharging to see, I would not see. :angel:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:13:16 PM by ezdog »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 09:22:15 PM

I can go through several batteries a day at times and I have tried for many years to make recharging work for me and the bottom line is that is does not.
If I want to have light as needed I need to use throw away batteries,plain and simple.

I am not Lazy and have no vendetta against Mother Earth,I just know myself and my limitations and if it were left to me recharging to see, I would not see. :angel:
Well, the way it works for us, we have a box of charged batteries ready to use.  :)
When we get a discharged battery, we can put it in the charger, and it charges until it’s full, then it stays there until we remember to take it out and put it in the “charged box”.
We generally have about 10 charged batteries ready to use at anytime.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 09:37:16 PM
I understand.
I do not work in one place all the time and can be in 5 different places one day and 1 place for a few weeks the next.
As I said I can only insure that I have no working light if I rely on me to charge the batteries.
And I am OK with that,you should be too.

Whatever your mane really is!

Well, the way it works for us, we have a box of charged batteries ready to use.  :)
When we get a discharged battery, we can put it in the charger, and it charges until it’s full, then it stays there until we remember to take it out and put it in the “charged box”.
We generally have about 10 charged batteries ready to use at anytime.  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 09:41:34 PM
 :cheers: :drink:

All hail the hook!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 11:01:48 PM

Seriously. You go trough several batteries a day? And they all end up in a landfill? How many used batteries do you throw away each year? If you use that much light, you really need to step up your game and go for an 18650 light, some spare cells, and a 4 cell charger. You just need to take one or 2 spares with you, and you no longer keep polluting the earth with one time use AAA or AA batteries. If I was you, I would be ashamed of such behavior. You cannot justify that.
Seriously. Stop doing that, and take responsibility for your action on the environment. The tech has gotten a lot better since last time you may have tried, and there is no reason to keep doing what you do.
You can pick up a BLF A6, 4 18650's and a 4 cell charger for peanuts these days. Certainly less then the money you spend on single use cells in a year.  Stop bullsmurfting.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 12:03:19 AM

Seriously. You go trough several batteries a day? And they all end up in a landfill? How many used batteries do you throw away each year? If you use that much light, you really need to step up your game and go for an 18650 light, some spare cells, and a 4 cell charger. You just need to take one or 2 spares with you, and you no longer keep polluting the earth with one time use AAA or AA batteries. If I was you, I would be ashamed of such behavior. You cannot justify that.
Seriously. Stop doing that, and take responsibility for your action on the environment. The tech has gotten a lot better since last time you may have tried, and there is no reason to keep doing what you do.
You can pick up a BLF A6, 4 18650's and a 4 cell charger for peanuts these days. Certainly less then the money you spend on single use cells in a year.  Stop bullsmurfting.
You made me do maths!  :twak:
Assuming 150 AA Duracells a year (conservative number, I think), that’s over $100 a year on batteries alone.

One Duracell AA will give you about 1.75 Wh if discharged at 0.5A, a reasonable number for flashlights.
One 18650 battery will give you 10 Wh, nearly as much as 6 Duracell AA batteries.
One 18650 battery would last you a whole day, easily, if outputing the same amount of light as your AA flashlights.

A good 18650 flashlight: $20.
One good 18650 battery charger with four bays: $20.
4 excellent 18650 batteries that will last several years: $40.
Total: $80.

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31