Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

File repair/replacement?

Offline holygoat

File repair/replacement?
on: April 05, 2018, 06:35:50 PM
Has anyone ever sent in a SAK to Victorinox to have some tools repaired or replaced?

I have an old SwissChamp that I picked up a while ago, and its file (one of the older double-cut files) is very worn; it's not even useful as a nailfile. A couple of the screwdrivers are twisted too. (Whoever owned it before me certainly used it!)

Did they make you happy? How much did it cost?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: File repair/replacement?
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:49:48 PM
Has anyone ever sent in a SAK to Victorinox to have some tools repaired or replaced?

I have an old SwissChamp that I picked up a while ago, and its file (one of the older double-cut files) is very worn; it's not even useful as a nailfile. A couple of the screwdrivers are twisted too. (Whoever owned it before me certainly used it!)

Did they make you happy? How much did it cost?
If you contact your local dealer through the Victorinox website they should be able to tell you how much it would cost. I sent a Wenger Minigrip off for repair a few years back and it was fixed for the price of postage.

Good luck!  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline mattbod

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:57:50 PM
Well i am in the UK and have sent a knife off as some of the tools are battered. Most often they don't charge you but the maximum cost they charge for non warranty work (i.e if they think it is through normal use) is £9.99 here which is crazy cheap. It is more a good will exercise than anything else I think. The only problem is that it takes months for your knife to get back to you. I sent mine in December and it is still in Switzerland though Burton McCall the UK importer did write to tell me of the delay and sent me a free Classic SD as an apology. I am sure the repair will be good when I finally get the knife back.

Offline holygoat

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:03:58 PM
No dealers over here on the west coast of the US, it seems. Looks like my best option is to swing by the London flagship store next time I'm there, see if they can fix it while I wait.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:42:43 PM
No dealers over here on the west coast of the US, it seems. Looks like my best option is to swing by the London flagship store next time I'm there, see if they can fix it while I wait.
As far as I know they don't do repairs in stores; They send them to HQ. It usually takes 3 weeks for knives to come back to the Geneva store after I leave them there. If you often go to London you could leave it on a trip and pick it up on the next one but I wouldn't expect it to be fast enough for 1 trip unless you stay there for weeks. There's a store in New York city though... Maybe you could mail it to them (and them back to you).

As for the repair itself, they can always replace old tools with newer versions of the tools but sometimes they still lol have older versions. On some older knives they'll restore the tools/blades rather than swap them out for newer ones. I've had them call me or email me (with pics) to ask if I'm OK with them changing the saw as they didn't have the old style anymore.

Offline mattbod

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 01:07:02 AM
Just send the knife in to the US importers via registered post. They will either fix it there or send it off to Switzerland for repair. Give them an email of ring first to find out procedure.

https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Service/Product-Support/Swiss-Army-Knives-Product-Support/cms/service-swiss-army-knife

Offline holygoat

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:00:28 PM
Well, that was a giant fail. They charged me $5, replaced the scales, and sent the tool back otherwise untouched — dull file and bent screwdrivers. I’m annoyed.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10:16:01 PM
Well, that was a giant fail. They charged me $5, replaced the scales, and sent the tool back otherwise untouched — dull file and bent screwdrivers. I’m annoyed.

Contact them about not having repaired the knife as requested with your expectation that they'll make it right, and do so very promptly, with zero additional cost to you.

John

Offline holygoat

Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 11:05:32 PM

Contact them about not having repaired the knife as requested with your expectation that they'll make it right, and do so very promptly, with zero additional cost to you.

John

I have. We shall see!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69