Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

An introduction to my wave, Matte

Sam Lim · 55 · 16391

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
An introduction to my wave, Matte
on: April 06, 2018, 11:54:14 AM
Title says it all! He's Matte, because he is Matte..  :P

This is the regular wave that I normally use. Added another tool to complete the package. Took a while to complete the load out to how I wanted it.  :)

Meet Matte.

I had no choice but to further trim down the stub nose to close the pliers properly as it jams right on the tip of the added philips...

External OHO bays.

I am a huge fan of short stubby blade.. so this applies to Matte as well.. :D This frees up half a tool bay for the additional bit adaptor. For some reason I like the wingman scissors more than the Vic's.. That Keyport tool's strap cutter is scary sharp..it even slice paper. Also works as a strong pry tool.

Abit more on the external bit adaptor.

Thanks to a little bit of careful thinking and teeny bit of experience of how things works, The bit adaptor sits snugly in the bay. Stows away with an assuring "click" .

The adaptor works and locks as intended. I have tried applying the same amount of torque as I would on the original. Works well.  ;)

Internal implements.
The can opener was grounded straighter and pointier and smoothed out. Using it like a mini marlin spike for untying knots. I have no use for the eyeglass screw driver.. so the philips end was filed to a sharp needle point.

So, there's Matte.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:10:29 PM by Sam Lim »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: An introduction to my wave, Matte
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 12:02:35 PM
absolutely awesome  :o :like: :like:

improving on a tool that is leading sales for Leatherman  :hatsoff:  I'd buy this over the standard Wave  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:20:45 PM
Very interesting! :tu:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:23:07 PM
Nice one Sammy! Nice pics too.  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:44:19 PM
Another fantastic mod there Sam  :salute: Love it!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:03:40 PM
 :drool:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 04:51:54 PM
Wow! Amazing modifications and well though out for your specific desires. Great work!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 05:04:36 PM
Brilliant mod !    :cheers: :tu:

I think we need a Master Modder badge    :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:21:42 PM
Nice one Sammy! Nice pics too.  :tu:
:D I found a sweet spot on my desk for taking photos.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 05:22:13 PM

:like: :gimme:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 05:34:38 PM
Wow! Amazing modifications and well though out for your specific desires. Great work!  :tu:

Thanks Capt!  :salute: and everyone else!
A trial was made on a damaged frame first to iron out the problems.. Glad I did cos there were some rather accurate cuts and bending that needs to be done for the external bit adaptor. So far I have seen it done on the main blade pivot but not one the tools side. Guess laziness have its benefits.. :whistle:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 05:36:11 PM
Nicely done as always Sam :drool: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 05:54:03 PM
Nicely done as always Sam :drool: :like: :like:

+1  :salute:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 07:40:34 PM
Well... first and most obvious, that external bit holder is amazing.

Second, a dedicated Phillips!  :tu:
This also gives you the chance to use an adapter. Not sure that's needed, but ... meh. It's there as an option.

I have LONG wondered why MTs don't have dedicated pry tools. I think the Spirit might be an exception.

As there are so many good, lightweight independent blade options, I'm fine limiting the blades to just the stubby plain edge.

I'm going to be honest, I've owned I think 4 Wingman tools now, and I DO NOT like the scissors, but then I'm super picky about my scissors (and left handed to boot)

I really don't care for the small bit holder. I don't  think the function gained is worth the space used. My opinion, of course, but it's your tool, so if you want it, that's your thing.

And on the blunting of the plier head... nicely done. I waffle between liking/wanting blunt versus needle nose, and can never come to a final conclusion, but the mod here looks really well done.

My only question is... why did you modify the can opener/cap lifter on this? It doesn't seem to ruin its function but I don't understand what you gain.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 07:44:00 PM
Awesome work!
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 08:22:43 PM
 :like:
Great work Sam!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 08:40:57 PM
Well... first and most obvious, that external bit holder is amazing.

Second, a dedicated Phillips!  :tu:
This also gives you the chance to use an adapter. Not sure that's needed, but ... meh. It's there as an option.

I have LONG wondered why MTs don't have dedicated pry tools. I think the Spirit might be an exception.

As there are so many good, lightweight independent blade options, I'm fine limiting the blades to just the stubby plain edge.

I'm going to be honest, I've owned I think 4 Wingman tools now, and I DO NOT like the scissors, but then I'm super picky about my scissors (and left handed to boot)

I really don't care for the small bit holder. I don't  think the function gained is worth the space used. My opinion, of course, but it's your tool, so if you want it, that's your thing.

And on the blunting of the plier head... nicely done. I waffle between liking/wanting blunt versus needle nose, and can never come to a final conclusion, but the mod here looks really well done.

My only question is... why did you modify the can opener/cap lifter on this? It doesn't seem to ruin its function but I don't understand what you gain.

:cheers:
Well, the most straight forward scissor to fit into a wave in my experience are from the Wingman or Vic's. I had tried Vic's as well but I may be an oddball. I have no love for them.. I find the springs to be really flimsy. To me, I chose a Wingman scissors over Vic anytime. What both scissors can cut are very comparable from my testing. Maybe the one on Wingman is a little painful to use but its a trade off as long as I dun have to deal with the springs on Vic. Most of the time as you already know, they are for really light cutting for tapes or paper etc which the wingman does with ease. At work, I always have a heavier duty scissors on me. This, is my go to for cable ties and cardboards.

Further blunting on the pliers head was not really a choice.. this particular plier went thru many times of modifications firstly due to alignment then later ones because of further modifications. Normally I will not blunt perfectly good ones.. :)

I didn't care for the small bit holder either. I personally think its ridiculous to use a 'heavy' tool to try to adjust the screws on a eyeglass.. Anyway I did try using it but the size doesn't even fit properly on my glasses...  :facepalm: maybe I am using it wrong or something..,. I used to remove that adaptor from the wave. Until I realize very often I need something really fine and pokey. That's when the sharpened bit came into mind and this tool earned its place back into the slot.

For the can opener mod, I wanted something more tapered, pointed but not sharp to get into knots or poke at some delicate things. I dun think it can open cans anymore, the edges are all polished and smoothed out.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 10:08:09 PM
Really, really, nice.   :salute:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 03:45:44 AM

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 08:07:51 AM
Excellent work Sam. :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 03:26:30 PM
Very well done.  That external bit holder is really slick looking.    :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 03:46:28 PM
Nice work!  :multi:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 12:19:22 AM

We now have a new badge     :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76817.0.html

Congrats Sam on your first badge and also the first MM !     :salute: :tu:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:21:37 AM by SteveC »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 01:00:09 AM

We now have a new badge     :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76817.0.html

Congrats Sam on your first badge and also the first MM !     :salute: :tu:

Whoa..  :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 04:05:23 AM
And another awesome mod Sam :like:

I really :like: Matte :D Congrats on being the first to get the Master Modder Badge as well :tu: :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 04:55:02 AM

I really :like: Matte :D Congrats on being the first to get the Master Modder Badge as well :tu: :like:

:hatsoff:

There are so many skillful modders around. Metro had always inspired me. Wonder where he is now..  :salute:

Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Really nice to receive the first badge.  :cheers: especially when I dun have to submit a separate request for that..  :whistle:

:multi:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 05:22:25 AM
Sam Lim, thanks for the response to all my questions.  :salute:

Also, you might be surprised trying the modified can opener to open cans. It's not far off from some of the shapes that Gerber does, and it doesn't take a very sharp edge to punch through a can.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 07:19:28 AM
Sam Lim, thanks for the response to all my questions.  :salute:

Also, you might be surprised trying the modified can opener to open cans. It's not far off from some of the shapes that Gerber does, and it doesn't take a very sharp edge to punch through a can.

I actually threw out the can opener 2 days ago.. I was out with Matte and didn't thought of bringing anything else with me. Well, I got into a situation that I need a flat head, probably about 4mm just to open up a 3 pin socket.. I live in a place that used the UK plug.. As I proudly left the Torx bits in the adapter due to work, I have nothing on me that can unscrew the damn thing.,. :facepalm:  Its suppose to be a very simple task.. I had to go all the way back to the house to get it.. I not far, but irritating enough.. So now, a long reach flat head from a rebar sits in the place of that can opener.  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 12:49:51 PM

There are so many skillful modders around. Metro had always inspired me. Wonder where he is now..  :salute:

Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Really nice to receive the first badge.  :cheers: especially when I dun have to submit a separate request for that..  :whistle:

Metro pops in from time to time still :cheers: He is the owner of Skinth Solutions and I am sure that keeps him quite busy though :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 01:39:21 PM

Metro pops in from time to time still :cheers: He is the owner of Skinth Solutions and I am sure that keeps him quite busy though :tu:

:tu: the busier the better! $$$

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD