Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Screwdrivers with striking cap

CeHo · 21 · 3416

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:40 PM
I'm an EDC-freak and i have a new project - striking cap screwdrivers.

I want to test these models for the next 12 month and find my new EDC striking cap screwdriver. A good Striking cap screwdriver is one of my most important EDC-tools.

It's a mix - I carrying them in the city, in the woods and for working around the house.

Left to right:
Hazet, Wiha, Format, Gedore, Wera, Wiha, Felo, Stahlwille

I forgot this Hazet

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:38:41 PM by CeHo »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Screwdrivers with striking cap
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 08:50:20 PM
Excellent, good stuff CeHo, this is the sort of thing I like, but I'm afraid you're missing two really good Brands - PB Swisstool and Vessel... I know I know you can't review everything!  :salute:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 09:00:57 PM
Thanks fuzzbucket  :tu: - it was important for me that the stuff is high quality.

I know - I miss also Facom...

And there are some models form the other brands - for example the heavy duty Wiha - miss them too.

I let you know if there are wins and fails...

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 09:22:41 PM
Sounds great.  :tu:

:popcorn:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 11:50:40 PM
Over here they are called "Demolition Screwdrivers" and meant for beating the snot out of stuff in general so quality is really not the point a lot of times.

But as all other tools I too prefer the better ones and the new Milwaukee seem to be a decent combination of tough and reliable for me so far.

In general though the whole point is to sacrifice these as "Beaters" so that better drivers may live in peace. :twak:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:32:44 AM by ezdog »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:59:13 PM
:tu:   :like:   :popcorn:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 12:45:44 AM
I got some of those Weras and Wihas, and I prefer the Weras. Something with the handle of the Wihas just don't work well for me.

In general though the whole point is to sacrifice these as "Beaters" so that better drivers may live in peace. :twak:

Those are my better drivers - they do the beating. :cheers:

Mostly they come out whenever there is something really stuck that deserves a whack and a spanner assisted twist - or when they just happen to be the first thing I see.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:48:25 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 05:47:29 AM
Ah, beautiful German screwdrivers. One of my favorite things  :tu:

However I am somewhat disturbed by the lack of Felo wood handled drivers.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XDNSQ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 11:44:21 AM
Over here they are called "Demolition Screwdrivers" and meant for beating the snot out of stuff in general so quality is really not the point a lot of times.

But as all other tools I too prefer the better ones and the new Milwaukee seem to be a decent combination of tough and reliable for me so far.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's right. I had two Stanley FM ones, they live in the shed now as unfortunately the handles started to perish and they've taken on a rather unpleasant odour... not unlike a cat's arse!  :ahhh

Disclaimer: I'm not usually in the habit of sniffing cats bums... and most cats are very hygienic...

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 02:27:00 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice set. I think quality is an very important aspect - for safety reasons... I saw to many broken junk screwdrivers...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 12:16:34 AM
I have a few demo drivers too. A few appear to be missing in action, but most seem to have survived the journey. And yes, I have used that persuader on some of them.

Pioneer Harvester included for scale.
IMG_20181010_231116_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20181010_231116_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 112.3 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 11:25:42 AM
Nice stuff:

In my test the Hazet, Felo and Wiha products seems to win...

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 04:09:07 PM
I have a few demo drivers . Just avoid live Power , Ouch  !

Best Regards ,

Chris

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 11:38:05 AM
What exactly is a striking cap screwdriver used for/when/why?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 12:14:40 PM
A more robust screwdriver with a continuous tang that terminates in a metal cap like a chisel, so that you can smack it with a hammer... for rougher jobs.

Also, like Chris said, they're excellent conductors... in a bad way!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:16:54 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 12:23:09 PM
Those look too nice to actually strike, CeHo!  :ahhh

Seriously though, I hope the tests go well with them.

I have been using the Stanley FatMax demolition drivers for the last year and have been happy. It helps that they are less than $10 for a set of two (one #2 phillips and a 1/4" flat). Lifetime warranty as well. Although, you can get a new set for the cost of shipping to return the broken/stripped ones. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 02:29:46 PM
A more robust screwdriver with a continuous tang that terminates in a metal cap like a chisel, so that you can smack it with a hammer... for rougher jobs.

My understanding is that you rotate the blade with a wrench (or whatever) at the moment you hit the cap with a hammer.  The shock of impact is supposed to help loosen a stuck screw, while also forcing the tip of the blade  into the slot of the screw (so less likely to cam out and damage the screw head).  Same principal as a manual impact driver.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 07:59:39 PM
Those look too nice to actually strike, CeHo!  :ahhh

Seriously though, I hope the tests go well with them.

Thanks  :tu:

There are 4 screwdriver left in the competition:
Hazet, Hazet, (red) Wiha, Felo

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 01:27:06 PM

My understanding is that you rotate the blade with a wrench (or whatever) at the moment you hit the cap with a hammer.  The shock of impact is supposed to help loosen a stuck screw, while also forcing the tip of the blade  into the slot of the screw (so less likely to cam out and damage the screw head).  Same principal as a manual impact driver.

Thanks, I imagined something like that. Still, that's very likely to ruin the tip of the screwdriver, right? If the screw head is damaged, the tip of the screwdriver won't sit flat on it and it might get dented...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 06:24:21 AM

Thanks, I imagined something like that. Still, that's very likely to ruin the tip of the screwdriver, right? If the screw head is damaged, the tip of the screwdriver won't sit flat on it and it might get dented...

I think most of the ones I've seen are made of pretty tough steel so are more likely to damage the head of the screw rather than damage the tip of the screwdriver.  I've seen some that have been used as a (very rough) chisel by people who aren't that worried about having the correct tool for the task at hand (and those that are desperate or frustrated).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Online cody6268

Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 07:01:21 PM
I guess the steel used in this one isn't so tough, the original owner had struck it into a screw or something, and dinged it. It all came out easily using nothing but a file (this photo comes from when I bought it year before last, before the damage had been removed).

Irwin "Perfect Handle", WWII military issue. Not really a true "Screwdriver with striking cap" but it is one continuous piece with wood scales. This is my "beater driver". I've punched, pried, and occasionally drove/removed screws with it, and it takes the abuse like nothing.  I have $5 in it, and feel it was worth every penny. I bought it just because I liked the look of Perfect Handles, but couldn't understand the $40 each the issued ones such as this were going for, but as I started using it out of "Well, that's all that I feel will work here", the more I began to value it as a tool that can take abuse.

2017-06-26_01-25-04 by cody6268, on Flickr

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD