Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Gerber Dime (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
New Gerber Dime (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
on: April 08, 2018, 09:45:10 PM
This review is part of a series, to find the best tool I could for $15, including tax and shipping. The thread to the overall challenge can be found here...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76694.0.html

This tool was purchased new from Amazon. Depending on color, they range in price from $12.37 (for the one I purchased) up to about $22, for a silver handled version.

In 2012, Gerber brought the Dime to the market. It seems to be a direct competitor to the Leatherman Squirt.

It registered as 2.34oz, (66g) on my scale. Construction is mostly stainless steel, with painted aluminum scales, held together with small torx screws.  The finish on the tool, the paint, I mean, scratches fairly easily. In fact, my tool had a couple of small scratches on the aluminum scales through the paint new in the package.

This is my second Dime. I gave the first one away to my brother, because I was not a fan of it. It was an all-black version, and part of my dislike was that all the tools were extremely hard to open. Strangely, the tool I'm reviewing here does not have that problem. I would like to thing that it's because they ironed out some issues in production since I got the first one.

Testing will commence shortly.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: New Gerber Dime (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:03:50 PM
The pliers

The plier head has needle-nose and regular pliers, a s well as wire cutters. The plier head is sprung, with very light force required to close the tool. The pivot on this tool is very slightly loose. The tip is very precisely shaped and the two jaws meet together well.

As an example of that precision, the task of picking up a needle from a tabletop is simple with the Dime.

As a pair of pliers, the needlenose portion was quite good at gripping the self-tapping screws in my ductwork. (Sorry for the blurry photo)

When given a heavier task, like turning the 3/8" bolts of my storage shelves, the tool had difficulty gripping, and was generally not up to the task.

I used the pliers to bend and cut two types of wire. One was a paperclip, and the other was 12-gauge solid copper wire. The tool was able to bend both, and I could get incredibly precise bends in the paperclip. The wirecutter hand no problem with the paperclip but was EXTREMELY reluctant in cutting the 12-gauge wire. I took it slow, and changed the position of the wire in the plier jaws three times to finally make the cut. I may have also created more play in the pivot in the process. I should also note that because of the initial play in the pivot, the wire cutters acted somewhat like scissors, and were only able to cut the paperclip while held right-handed.

The overall impression is that these are very precise, but extremely light duty. 'Supertweezers' is a term that's come up before, and is accurate. They to not handle rotational torque essentially at all.

For very light duty work: Pass

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:01:09 PM
The blade.

The blade on this tool had no side to side play, and while not incredibly strong, seemed very solid. The sheepsfoot tip may make it more acceptable to people who fear more 'stabby' looking points. The blade has a slight belly. Blade length is about 37mm, or just under and inch and a half. However, the blade goes all the way to the handle of the tool, making some of that blade length not practically useable. This is a short blade, obviously restricted in length on such a small tool, but has decent thickness from blade edge to back of spine, making it stiff, and give a sense of solidity.

As received, it was just sharp enough to cut regular paper. Since I like to start my edge retention test with a blade that can cut phonebook paper cleanly, I gave it 20 strokes per side on ceramic rods, which did nothing. The angle of the blade's grind was wrong. So I took 10 minutes to change that, and bring it up to the level of sharpness I wanted.

I'm always a little hesitant to put a keychain size tool up to the cardboard cutting test, but I did it with this one...

Ergonomics under this heavy cutting task weren't great, but it did the job. I found that the bottle opener dug into my palm during the cutting. I survived without a bruise, but wouldn't love doing a lot more cutting of that difficulty with this tool.

I took it back to the paper cutting test, and it cleanly cut the phonebook paper, even on push strokes with just the weight of the tool as downward force on the paper.

So, it will take and hold an edge reasonably well, but you're going to have to put that edge on there yourself. It does not come nearly as sharp as I'd like. Even so, it will do some cutting out of the package.

Blade as received: Very marginal PASS
Blade after sharpening: Surprisingly strong PASS, considering its size.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:20:22 PM
The scissors.

Short and to the point...

Pass with distinction: Nothing.
Pass: Paper, PETE. Non-corrugated Cardboard +3
Barely Adequate: Suede, T-Shirt, Corrugated Cardboard +0
Fail: Heavy Plastic, 550 Paracord, Khakis -3

Score... 0

I'd rate them as 'bad'. They can cut paper, snip threads, etc., but are not really good for much else.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:27:11 PM
 :nothingtoadd:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:40:59 PM
Steinar, you are always welcome to pop in and say hi in any of my threads. :D

On to drivers.

The tool has a flathead and flat phillips driver. Both are well formed, and unlike the first version of this tool that i owned, extracting them won't break your nails.

The phillips slotted very cleanly into all of the screws I tested it in, and worked fine for light duty.

And while it felt solid, I've broken keychain-size phillips drivers trying to mess with long woodscrews, so I skipped the harder testing on this one.

Likewise, the flathead slotted cleanly into all the screws I tested it on.

I even gave it a go on the big screws in my door hinges, where it performed admirably.

However, just like with the phillips, I'm not going to do the 'hard' test, using it to pry open crusty paint cans. That test just really seems out of this tool's league, and I'm not trying to destroy it.

Both drivers have decent, but not extraordinary retention in the open position. I would say the retention is well up to any task that the drivers themselves can reasonably handle. Both suffer from being relatively stumpy tools, so there might be a number of screws they simply can't reach. I think they're absolutely adequate, but not spectacular, light duty drivers.

'Real World' duties call, so testing will resume in a few hours.  :salute:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 02:14:14 AM
The package opener.

The package opener, as it comes, is very good at its job. I also gave it a run through the corrugated cardboard. It was meh at the task.

However, unlike the previously reviewed package opener of the Rev (https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76695.msg1670184.html#msg1670184)... it won't work as a line cutter. It was absolutely incapable of cutting 550 paracord.

I sharpened it on a ceramic rod, and afterward, it would cut 550 with two pulls. So, still not amazing, but it did the job. However, it did do much better at cutting corrugated cardboard after sharpening.

Something about the geometry of this package opener really worked great for opening packages, and i guess the less sharp version might make it less dangerous.

Package opener as package opener: PASS with distinction
Package opener as line cutter: FAIL out of the package, but can be sharpened.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 02:20:35 AM
(sigh)...

So...

(sigh)...

There is... IN THEORY a file on this thing. Both sides of the phillips driver are stamped with a 'file'.

It... WILL file a burr off of a nail. It's hard to get your fingernail in position for it to work. It will take forever, but it will work, if you're patient.

I'm not taking a picture just for that 'thing'.

Another function... Tweezers! Hidden in the scale by the cap lifter is an actually decent pair of tweezers. The tips come together fairly precisely and they worked well at the task of pulling a hair without cutting it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 02:33:28 AM
I wanted to end this review of the tools functions on a high note. I remember from the first version of this, being particularly impressed by one, and exactly ONLY one thing about this tool.

The cap lifter.

I stand by what I'm about to say.

This is the best cap lifter on any multitool. ANY multitool.

Is it a little inconvenient, sticking out of the otherwise sleek frame? Sure. But first of all, I made the joke in reviewing the YAX knife that it had a one-hand opening cap lifter. You don't even NEED to open this one. Instant access. Second, the design of it is such that it catches the cap at multiple points on the lip AND presses against the top of the cap over a wide area, making it EXTREMELY good at its job.

In the most important test, which is how well it works with somewhat impaired manual dexterity (possibly due to too many adult beverages), THIS is when the function of this tool shines. Because it catches the bottom of the cap at multiple points, it is less picky about precise positioning, unlike (for instance) a Leatherman Micra.

At pulling caps, the Dime is the best in the industry. PASS with distinction.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 02:42:22 AM
And that's it.

Well, okay... it also has a lanyard ring.

The tool is small, and light, meant for light duty, and has a pretty good collection of useful functions. The scissors might not be great, but where they fail, most of that function, which is the heavier duty stuff, can honestly be handled by the blade. It seems that the build quality has improved since the first model I had. And, while not up to the quality of the Leatherman Squirt, it's also half the price.

As much as I tout the Classic, the Dime is only a few dollars more new, and gets you decent, small pliers, and a number of other functions, for not a lot of extra weight.

This is a decent tool. For many people, it would be a fantastic tool. Even for those who are more discriminating, it's a good tool to gift to someone you may be trying to get interested in MTs. It's a lot of function in not a lot of weight, for not a lot of money.

I'm still not a fan of how easily it scratches. I'll never LOVE this tool, but in the arena of what you can get new for keychain tools at $15, it's a surprisingly good option.

Having said that, I'd already say I think for that same $15, I'd still rather have a used Rev.

So, I think it's worth $15, but not the best tool you can find for your money.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 01:19:06 PM
And that's it.

Well, okay... it also has a lanyard ring.

The tool is small, and light, meant for light duty, and has a pretty good collection of useful functions. The scissors might not be great, but where they fail, most of that function, which is the heavier duty stuff, can honestly be handled by the blade. It seems that the build quality has improved since the first model I had. And, while not up to the quality of the Leatherman Squirt, it's also half the price.

As much as I tout the Classic, the Dime is only a few dollars more new, and gets you decent, small pliers, and a number of other functions, for not a lot of extra weight.

This is a decent tool. For many people, it would be a fantastic tool. Even for those who are more discriminating, it's a good tool to gift to someone you may be trying to get interested in MTs. It's a lot of function in not a lot of weight, for not a lot of money.

I'm still not a fan of how easily it scratches. I'll never LOVE this tool, but in the arena of what you can get new for keychain tools at $15, it's a surprisingly good option.

Having said that, I'd already say I think for that same $15, I'd still rather have a used Rev.

So, I think it's worth $15, but not the best tool you can find for your money.

The review was good
All points covered  :tu:  and I'm sure there's people out there who love this Gerber

but I still loathe this tool and won't ever pay for another one.  :ahhh The three I had were duds, and maybe they've upped their QC and newer batches are better but my experience with the three Dimes I had was bad to the point that I feel relieved not owning any of them anymore  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 02:14:39 PM
Good review  :tu:

I had one of these in my pocket for some time, and I do like the marketing promises for it.

The design is compact, snappy and without wasted space. It is very light duty though, and the pliers in particular are on the weak side. I kind of think a version with scissors in the place of the pliers, and a proper file in the place of the current scissors, might have been a somewhat more robust and honest option overall. (Why have pliers if they can't stand to do much anyway..)

I do like the concept, I just wish it was more robust. Maybe if it was 10-20% larger that could make the difference, but then it wouldn't be keychain anymore either. Oh well.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 05:05:26 PM
I had a Dime a long time ago. I disliked the scissors and how hard the tools were to pull out. I have two Squirt P4's so I will not be buying another Dime.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 06:10:56 PM
I'm still not a fan of the scissors, but it seems (at least based on this one) that they got the nail-breaking tool extraction problem ironed out.

it Offline Mini

Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 11:17:47 PM
Great review!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44