Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Dilemma

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Victorinox Dilemma
on: April 09, 2018, 01:11:52 AM
Okay, so four years ago my wife gave me a Victorinox Super Tinker for my birthday. I have a small collection of knives ranging from modern one-handers, to classic slip joints, and a Leatherman Wave, but that Super Tinker has been my sole EDC pretty much every day for the past four years!

Having said that, after four years of daily carry and use, the scales are starting to get really loose, and one looks like it will fall off shortly. I know that I could get replacement scales (or maybe even some G10 scales from Swiss Bianco), but part of me just wants to try something new...

All of that to say that I am looking at mixing up my EDC, and here are the possibilities that I have come up with after spending some quality time with the SAK selector:

- Vic Classic + Alox Farmer (I've never had an Alox, and I've always been interested in them)
- Vic Classic + Alox Pioneer X
- Vic Classic + Vic Mechanic (I hear that this model is discontinued, but I found one in a local shop)
- Vic Classic + Vic Hiker
- Vic Fieldmaster
- Vic Deluxe Tinker
- Vic Swiss Champ (this one is probably too big for pocket carry (with a suspension clip), but man it looks fun!)

At the moment, the front runners are probably the two Alox models and the Fieldmaster, but I would appreciate your thoughts/wisdom on my decision.

Thanks in advance,

-GCC

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Dilemma
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:25:13 AM
Pioneer X guarantees you won't be in the same position in 15 years time, with scales hanging off!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:30:16 AM
Fieldmaster, much like the Hunter, has just about all you kneed. All the basics of a regular Tinker, plus a saw and scissors.  Or, the same as a Super Tinker plus a saw.

I mean, two of the biggest dilemmas in Vic collecting is "corkscrew vs Phillips " and scissors vs saw. You are already using the Phillips,  so this puts the other dilemma to rest.

For 30 years, I've had my Super Tinker, and it was ALL I had for most of that time. It's a good knife and tool. But over time, I also cracked the red Cellidor. It just isn't very rugged. I carried the thing with NO scales on it for a while...

I did go with a deluxe Tinker for a while, but it's a wide 4th layer and not as practical a plyers as my Leathermans, so.. it stays home.

I recently was gifted a Pioneer and love it. I can see moving to a Farmer would be a good choice for outdoors use. But for sure, no likely hood of cracking the handle.

Within the last couple of months I also added an Explorer. Just because i love the magnifying glass.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:34:18 AM by ThundahBeagle »

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:41:39 AM
Pioneer X guarantees you won't be in the same position in 15 years time, with scales hanging off!

This is certainly my thinking regarding the Alox models as well! Plus, they just look stunning...  :drool:

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:45:45 AM
Fieldmaster, much like the Hunter, has just about all you kneed. All the basics of a regular Tinker, plus a saw and scissors.  Or, the same as a Super Tinker plus a saw.

I mean, two of the biggest dilemmas in Vic collecting is "corkscrew vs Phillips " and scissors vs saw. You are already using the Phillips,  so this puts the other dilemma to rest.

For 30 years, I've had my Super Tinker, and it was ALL I had for most of that time. It's a good knife and tool. But over time, I also cracked the red Cellidor. It just isn't very rugged. I carried the thing with NO scales on it for a while...

I did go with a deluxe Tinker for a while, but it's a wide 4th layer and not as practical a plyers as my Leathermans, so.. it stays home.

I recently was gifted a Pioneer and love it. I can see moving to a Farmer would be a good choice for outdoors use. But for sure, no likely hood of cracking the handle.

Within the last couple of months I also added an Explorer. Just because i love the magnifying glass.

Hope that helps

It sounds like we have a lot in common when it comes to SAK preferences! I think you hit the nail on the head - I am torn between scissors and saw. I love the idea of the fieldmaster, but i worry about the extra width for pocket carry, and the potential for loose/cracked scales...

I do like the idea of the farmer (which gives me the saw), and then throwing the classic/rambler on my keys (which gives me tiny scissors).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 01:48:28 AM
First, get the Mechanic. Then, get some alox.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 02:22:31 AM
I am torn between scissors and saw. I love the idea of the fieldmaster, but i worry about the extra width for pocket carry, and the potential for loose/cracked scales...
It is possible that I own all of the SAKs you are referring to.  If you'd like I can take some photos to show the depth/width of them.  Sometimes 4 layers on one knife is like 5 on another, or even 3, it just depends on the knife.
Let me know which knives you might want to see, or perhaps you have already seen them all in person.

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 02:24:18 AM
First, get the Mechanic. Then, get some alox.

:tu: :tu:

I’m curious, why do you recommend the mechanic first? Not disagreeing, just interested in your reasoning...

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 02:54:29 AM
I am torn between scissors and saw. I love the idea of the fieldmaster, but i worry about the extra width for pocket carry, and the potential for loose/cracked scales...
It is possible that I own all of the SAKs you are referring to.  If you'd like I can take some photos to show the depth/width of them.  Sometimes 4 layers on one knife is like 5 on another, or even 3, it just depends on the knife.
Let me know which knives you might want to see, or perhaps you have already seen them all in person.

I appreciate the offer. I’d love to see some comparisons of the farmer, pioneer, fieldmaster, and Swiss champ... maybe with a super tinker for reference!

I realize that’s a tall order, but whatever you can do would be great. Thanks.

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 03:18:59 AM
I appreciate the offer. I’d love to see some comparisons of the farmer, pioneer, fieldmaster, and Swiss champ... maybe with a super tinker for reference!
I realize that’s a tall order, but whatever you can do would be great. Thanks.
Working on it now.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 03:21:57 AM
Okay, so four years ago my wife gave me a Victorinox Super Tinker for my birthday. I have a small collection of knives ranging from modern one-handers, to classic slip joints, and a Leatherman Wave, but that Super Tinker has been my sole EDC pretty much every day for the past four years!

Having said that, after four years of daily carry and use, the scales are starting to get really loose, and one looks like it will fall off shortly. I know that I could get replacement scales (or maybe even some G10 scales from Swiss Bianco), but part of me just wants to try something new...

All of that to say that I am looking at mixing up my EDC, and here are the possibilities that I have come up with after spending some quality time with the SAK selector:

- Vic Classic + Alox Farmer (I've never had an Alox, and I've always been interested in them)
- Vic Classic + Alox Pioneer X
- Vic Classic + Vic Mechanic (I hear that this model is discontinued, but I found one in a local shop)
- Vic Classic + Vic Hiker
- Vic Fieldmaster
- Vic Deluxe Tinker
- Vic Swiss Champ (this one is probably too big for pocket carry (with a suspension clip), but man it looks fun!)

At the moment, the front runners are probably the two Alox models and the Fieldmaster, but I would appreciate your thoughts/wisdom on my decision.

Thanks in advance,

-GCC
If you have used the Phillips or small pen blade on your current Super Tinker much, or the tweezers and toothpick, be aware they will not be on the Pioneer X. If it still existed I'd suggest the Craftsman. The Champion Plus is retired but still can be found new without much trouble.

Champion Plus:
Swiss Champ without the pliers which makes it substantially narrower.Adding a pliers layer is almost like adding two normal layers. Before Victorinox created the pliers, it was the apex of their 91mm line. Can still be found easily using Google (and not just the "Shopping" search as it doesn't show many sellers and retailers).

Craftsman (last iteration; there have been three basic ones over the years):
In its last iteration this was a Deluxe Tinker with the wood saw and metal file added (file has hack saw on its edge). This has become much tougher to find new compared to a couple years ago. The Handyman is the same, but with a corkscrew instead of a Phillips. That was a deal-breaker for me given the rest of its tool set (not an issue on some other models).

Deluxe Tinker:
A step up from your current Super Tinker with the pliers layer added.

Anything in Alox would be substantially different given no back layer, no tweezers and no toothpick. They're also limited to three layers unless you fabricate a custom one, adding layers. The smaller pen blade is sacrificed for a top layer awl that's different from the back layer awl.

If you haven't browsed through the Sakwiki  91mm Cellidor and 93mm Alox, you should do so:
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:23:30 AM by jalind »
John

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 03:26:02 AM
 Looking for my Fieldmaster, then I'll do the photo.  I have the SwissChamp as well.
I put a Cadet in there as a size reference as well, I will, of course, unbox them.

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 03:43:37 AM
Left to right:

Fieldmaster, Farmer, Cadet, Pioneer, Super Tinker, SwissChamp

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:04:07 AM by FolderBeholder »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 04:33:55 AM
Great comparison pics FB :like: I hope these help gccon :tu: :like:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 04:35:18 AM
Similar comparison showing Champion Plus, Swiss Champ and Deluxe Tinker:

Swiss Champ vs Champion Plus. Still large in pocket and hand but not nearly so much as a Swiss Champ. The pliers layer makes a big difference in width.

Deluxe Tinker (Super Tinker with Pliers layer added), Champion Plus, and Swiss Champ:

Bought the Swiss Champ thinking I'd wear it more often than I do and knew I'd never carry it in my pocket. An older Champion "c" without the plus scales (gray v1 magnifier) and the Champion Plus I actually use and don't feel cumbersome in my hand.

This and the other photos already posted should give you some alternatives.

John

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 05:31:46 AM
If you have used the Phillips or small pen blade on your current Super Tinker much, or the tweezers and toothpick, be aware they will not be on the Pioneer X. If it still existed I'd suggest the Craftsman. The Champion Plus is retired but still can be found new without much trouble.

Champion Plus:
Swiss Champ without the pliers which makes it substantially narrower.Adding a pliers layer is almost like adding two normal layers. Before Victorinox created the pliers, it was the apex of their 91mm line. Can still be found easily using Google (and not just the "Shopping" search as it doesn't show many sellers and retailers).

Craftsman (last iteration; there have been three basic ones over the years):
In its last iteration this was a Deluxe Tinker with the wood saw and metal file added (file has hack saw on its edge). This has become much tougher to find new compared to a couple years ago. The Handyman is the same, but with a corkscrew instead of a Phillips. That was a deal-breaker for me given the rest of its tool set (not an issue on some other models).

Deluxe Tinker:
A step up from your current Super Tinker with the pliers layer added.

Anything in Alox would be substantially different given no back layer, no tweezers and no toothpick. They're also limited to three layers unless you fabricate a custom one, adding layers. The smaller pen blade is sacrificed for a top layer awl that's different from the back layer awl.

If you haven't browsed through the Sakwiki  91mm Cellidor and 93mm Alox, you should do so:
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

John

You've given me a few more models to consider... I was unaware of the Champion Plus, but I was able to find it available with a quick search. As for the Craftsman, that looks like an amazing knife - I wish it were still available!

I do realize that alox will be quite a departure from my Super Tinker. This is why I am so intrigued by it and gun-shy of it at the same time...

Thanks

PS - thanks for the pics of the Champion Plus, Swiss Champ, and Deluxe Tinker!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:38:06 AM by gcconspiracy »

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 05:36:26 AM
Left to right:

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow! Thanks so much. This is more helpful than you realize... Looking at these online, it is so hard to get a sense of size. The biggest shock to me was how tiny the Cadet is!

Thanks so much for your time and effort.

God bless.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 05:54:43 AM
Go for the Farmer & Classic

Or better yet,  a Farmer & Manager  :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 07:51:33 AM
Go for the Farmer & Classic

Or better yet,  a Farmer & Manager  :salute:

This is definitely in strong consideration at the moment!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 08:04:44 AM
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:13 AM
The biggest shock for me is seeing how gorgeous that Autumn Orange colour is...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 09:57:04 AM
I like Zedstagarta on my Super Tinker  :D
20180223_081116.jpg
* 20180223_081116.jpg (Filesize: 200.47 KB)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 10:11:33 AM
Zedstagarta looks awesome !

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 12:31:57 PM
Zedstagarta looks awesome !

Thanks  :cheers: I need to make some more for my waiter  :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 01:52:00 PM
From what  you have said about what you want - It's the Fieldmaster all the way.

All your favourite tools including the scale tools in one neat compact package.

Four layer is really quite OK to pocket carry

If the scales do fall off in four years time - you can just get some new cool ones  :tu:

Or if you are feeling like a real treat get a Syph custom with scales that will outlast us all :tu:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.msg1675049.html#msg1675049

PS. Great pics FB and JL ... and Zed
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:12:29 PM by Huntsman »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 02:37:55 PM
just to add, the difference between Swisschamp and Champion is definitely noticeable

but both are excellent tools on their own, can't go wrong with any
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 03:19:20 PM
Left to right:

That was nice of you to take the time to post the comparison pics FB :hatsoff:

Nice pics! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 03:20:27 PM
Similar comparison showing Champion Plus, Swiss Champ and Deluxe Tinker:

This and the other photos already posted should give you some alternatives.

John

Nice pics John! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 03:21:38 PM
just to add, the difference between Swisschamp and Champion is definitely noticeable

but both are excellent tools on their own, can't go wrong with any

Nice pic Peacent! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 04:40:31 PM
From what  you have said about what you want - It's the Fieldmaster all the way.

All your favourite tools including the scale tools in one neat compact package.

Four layer is really quite OK to pocket carry

If the scales do fall off in four years time - you can just get some new cool ones  :tu:

Or if you are feeling like a real treat get a Syph custom with scales that will outlast us all :tu:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.msg1675049.html#msg1675049

PS. Great pics FB and JL ... and Zed

Ahem,  farmer,  ahem

That way you will never have to replace the scales, if fits better in the pocket, and you will know what it's like to be an alox owner.

And...  Glenfiddich is right :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%