Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Dilemma

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Victorinox Dilemma
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 09:04:16 PM
First, get the Mechanic. Then, get some alox.

:tu: :tu:

I’m curious, why do you recommend the mechanic first? Not disagreeing, just interested in your reasoning...

Because it's a retired model. You can get one of the others later on.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 09:05:06 PM
:nanadance:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 10:19:09 PM
From what  you have said about what you want - It's the Fieldmaster all the way.

All your favourite tools including the scale tools in one neat compact package.

Four layer is really quite OK to pocket carry

If the scales do fall off in four years time - you can just get some new cool ones  :tu:

Or if you are feeling like a real treat get a Syph custom with scales that will outlast us all :tu:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.msg1675049.html#msg1675049

PS. Great pics FB and JL ... and Zed

Yeah, the Fieldmaster does seem like the obvious choice in many ways. I actually got to see one in person this past week, and it is surprisingly not much thicker than my Super Tinker!

As for Syph's customs, those are on a whole 'nother level! A little out of my price range at the moment, but maybe a fitting grail SAK for the future...  :drool:

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:35 PM
Ahem,  farmer,  ahem

That way you will never have to replace the scales, if fits better in the pocket, and you will know what it's like to be an alox owner.

And...  Glenfiddich is right :D

Yep, the real question right now is between the tools of the Fieldmaster (which gives me scissors, saw, and scale tools), and the durability of the Farmer/Pioneer X...  (likely with a Classic for scale tools and tiny scissors to compliment the Farmer's saw)... Decisions, decisions, decisions...  :think:

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:24 PM

Makes sense... I'll certainly have to give the Mechanic some extra thought due to the rarity of the model - though, the more I think about it, I'm not sure that the tool set would be best for me.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 10:30:27 PM
I agree, it's nice to mix it up and carry a variety. I rarely carry the same SAK for more than a week. But I would still replace those scales. Only about $12 and it will look like new.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 02:04:53 AM
I do not understand the "dilemma".

Get them all. It's the only way to be sure you got the right one.

But when you find discontinued ones, get those first.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:10:13 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 03:26:43 AM
From a practical usage standpoint, ask yourself what tools you use most often. Ensure what you get embraces those. A collector will have a drawer or more laden with SAKs laid out showing all the models and their variants. What do they most frequently carry if not on a rigorous rotation? I've got a large number of different SAKs, with very little repetition in just a few models. For me, when I know I won't have access to other tools much, it always comes back to one of three specific SAKs. Something to think about. Are you wanting to find one you'll carry all the time, or are you starting an accumulation (collection still in denial), or have you decided you're starting a collection? Only you can answer that.

This comes from someone who has accumulated of SAKs, not collected them. If I were a collector I'd have lists of what I have and don't have that's needed to make the collection complete (more power to those that collect; just not my thing). I simply bought what intrigued me with a given tool set without thinking about filling in one of everything. When you decide what your goals are, and only you can answer that, what you want next will gain great clarity!

BTW, do something about the scales on the one you have. I've got a 40+ year old Woodsman and its scales show wear and use, but they're still sound and solid; not even a small crack. If its scales were falling off I'd replace them with new ones without thinking twice about it beyond a tear or two for the old ones with (very literally) battle scars. The rest of it still shows that it's seen combat in subtle ways. If it were an antique 1890's or vintage 1951 Soldier (prior to the 1961 Soldier), or a retired model that has vintage scales no longer made, I'd be thinking about a restoration to maintain its value, but it's not. Replacing Cellidor scales is simple and inexpensive. Tutorials on how to do it are very easily found.

John
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:38:01 AM by jalind »
John

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #38 on: April 10, 2018, 05:25:06 AM
From a practical usage standpoint, ask yourself what tools you use most often. Ensure what you get embraces those. A collector will have a drawer or more laden with SAKs laid out showing all the models and their variants. What do they most frequently carry if not on a rigorous rotation? I've got a large number of different SAKs, with very little repetition in just a few models. For me, when I know I won't have access to other tools much, it always comes back to one of three specific SAKs. Something to think about. Are you wanting to find one you'll carry all the time, or are you starting an accumulation (collection still in denial), or have you decided you're starting a collection? Only you can answer that.

This comes from someone who has accumulated of SAKs, not collected them. If I were a collector I'd have lists of what I have and don't have that's needed to make the collection complete (more power to those that collect; just not my thing). I simply bought what intrigued me with a given tool set without thinking about filling in one of everything. When you decide what your goals are, and only you can answer that, what you want next will gain great clarity!

BTW, do something about the scales on the one you have. I've got a 40+ year old Woodsman and its scales show wear and use, but they're still sound and solid; not even a small crack. If its scales were falling off I'd replace them with new ones without thinking twice about it beyond a tear or two for the old ones with (very literally) battle scars. The rest of it still shows that it's seen combat in subtle ways. If it were an antique 1890's or vintage 1951 Soldier (prior to the 1961 Soldier), or a retired model that has vintage scales no longer made, I'd be thinking about a restoration to maintain its value, but it's not. Replacing Cellidor scales is simple and inexpensive. Tutorials on how to do it are very easily found.

John

You've made some excellent points, and quite frankly, I think you've helped me make my decision!

To answer your questions, I use the main blade and scissors far more than any other tools, and I am simply seeking an EDC knife (not an accumulation or collection in any way), and although I will certainly try to replace the scales on my Super Tinker, I really don't want to buy another cellidor model at this time.

Having said that, I had been waffling between the Farmer and the Pioneer X; but since the scissors are a major part of my daily use, I've decided to order a Pioneer X!

Thanks

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 05:59:41 AM
Pioneer X/Farmer and Manager/Rambler pairs up like peanut butter and jam.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:02:09 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 07:53:19 AM
Pioneer X/Farmer and Manager/Rambler pairs up like peanut butter and jam.  :cheers:

Yup!   :like:

The Rally is a great compliment to the PX as well,  and cuts a little weight and duplication
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 08:26:47 AM
Pioneer X/Farmer and Manager/Rambler pairs up like peanut butter and jam.

Yuk ...... You mean horribly then   ;)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 02:37:19 PM
PX is a lifetime excellent choice  :salute: :tu: :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 06:30:14 PM

Makes sense... I'll certainly have to give the Mechanic some extra thought due to the rarity of the model - though, the more I think about it, I'm not sure that the tool set would be best for me.

It's not for using! You only use a knife when you have at least three of the same model! And even then, not always!

:facepalm:

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #44 on: April 10, 2018, 06:34:59 PM
Don't say that pfrsantos!

I was just adjusting to the idea of having just one of each  :facepalm:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 06:52:22 PM
Don't say that pfrsantos!

I was just adjusting to the idea of having just one of each  :facepalm:

C'mon!

:twak: :twak:

You should know better! "Two is one, one is none!"

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 08:47:39 PM
The Rally is a great compliment to the PX as well,  and cuts a little weight and duplication

At the moment I only have a classic, but now I may have to keep an eye out for a rambler or rally... I really like the idea of the rally - very little duplication, and the thinness of a classic I would imagine!

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:47 PM
PX is a lifetime excellent choice  :salute: :tu: :tu:

That is exactly what I'm hoping for!  :tu:

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 08:55:52 PM
It's not for using! You only use a knife when you have at least three of the same model! And even then, not always!

I can see I have much to learn  :D

But in reality, I am only interested in finding the right EDC for me, not start a collection!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 09:41:32 PM

At the moment I only have a classic, but now I may have to keep an eye out for a rambler or rally... I really like the idea of the rally - very little duplication, and the thinness of a classic I would imagine!
I have a pile of Classics accumulated, many as handout SWAG without logos, some rather old. Don't really carry them except perhaps to toss one into a travel kit that's not going onto an airline. For EDC I have a custom mini-champ with classic T&T scales that makes it thinner. If I want thinner yet I go with a Rambler. Measured a T&T Classic at 8.5mm thick and the T&T Rambler at 10.3mm thick. I've found the combo tool invaluable along with the scissors, file, T&T. The pen blade is used, but it's the least used compared to the rest. Reason the modded mini-champ is normal carry is its orange peeler which works magnificently on the mandarin and clementine oranges I frequently consume.

John

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #50 on: April 10, 2018, 10:59:09 PM

I have a pile of Classics accumulated, many as handout SWAG without logos, some rather old. Don't really carry them except perhaps to toss one into a travel kit that's not going onto an airline. For EDC I have a custom mini-champ with classic T&T scales that makes it thinner. If I want thinner yet I go with a Rambler. Measured a T&T Classic at 8.5mm thick and the T&T Rambler at 10.3mm thick. I've found the combo tool invaluable along with the scissors, file, T&T. The pen blade is used, but it's the least used compared to the rest. Reason the modded mini-champ is normal carry is its orange peeler which works magnificently on the mandarin and clementine oranges I frequently consume.

John

Could you post a picture of your custom minichamp?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 01:49:52 AM
.. I really like the idea of the Rally - very little duplication, and the thinness of a classic I would imagine!

Don't go for the Rally - You'll regret not having scissors and at about 1mm wider (the thickness of a Classic blade - not scissors, due to tool layout)  - the Rambler is a much better choice ...... all IMHO of course !!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:26:57 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 06:05:15 AM

John

Could you post a picture of your custom minichamp?

I've got some better ones but they're on Photobucket and they'll come up with the "Third Party Hosting" image. Moving them now . . . more coming.

As a point of reference, the Midnite MiniChamp with lite and pen is 16.3mm thick and the one pictured above with just T&T scales is 12.9mm (by my composite calipers). That's almost 2.4mm which isn't trivial for a 58mm SAK. Changing scales on them is very easy, but don't recommend trying to reuse 58mm scales more than once, and that's if they've been removed very carefully.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 06:18:44 AM
Two more photos showing thickness comparison . . .

Top one is the 12.9mm custom T&T scales MiniChamp compared to a 16.3mm Midnite Minichamp with flashlight and pen. Those two features add substantial thickness.

The 12.9mm custom T&T MiniChamp compared to a 10.3mm thick Rambler with the combo tool.

Edit:
Just remembered I had a MiniChamp stashed with other 58mm I've accumulated for giveaways to friends. The MiniChamp, which has the pen but not the flashlight, measured 14.6mm thick, which is still 1.7mm thicker than the one I put T&T scales on.

Recap:
8.5mm: Classic
10.3mm: Rambler (adds combo tool to Classic)
12.9mm: Custom T&T MiniChamp
14.6mm: MiniChamp (pen)
16.3mm: Midnite MiniChamp (pen and light)

John
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:31:40 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 07:21:23 AM
 :like:

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 07:42:17 AM

Top one is the 12.9mm custom T&T scales MiniChamp compared to a 16.3mm Midnite Minichamp with flashlight and pen. Those two features add substantial thickness.

(Image removed from quote.)

The 12.9mm custom T&T MiniChamp compared to a 10.3mm thick Rambler with the combo tool.

Edit:
Just remembered I had a MiniChamp stashed with other 58mm I've accumulated for giveaways to friends. The MiniChamp, which has the pen but not the flashlight, measured 14.6mm thick, which is still 1.7mm thicker than the one I put T&T scales on.

Recap:

John

Thanks so much for posting this! I am amazed at the difference those scales make - a picture truly is worth a thousand words when it comes to visualizing the differences!  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: April 11, 2018, 01:21:04 PM

I can see I have much to learn  :D

But in reality, I am only interested in finding the right EDC for me, not start a collection!

Getting just a simple knife, not a collection? Oh, yeah, this is exactly the place where you wanna be...

:whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: April 11, 2018, 01:59:54 PM

Edit:

Recap:

John

Thanks so much for posting this! I am amazed at the difference those scales make - a picture truly is worth a thousand words when it comes to visualizing the differences!  :tu:

You're quite welcome! Already had the pix from a couple years ago - just had to copy them to somewhere else from Photobucket.

John

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #58 on: April 11, 2018, 03:36:59 PM

Edit:

Recap:

John
WOW!  :like: Feel free to put any and all of those comparison shots in my thread:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71217.0.html

The quality of your photos are so nice!
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 03:54:48 PM
WOW!  :like: Feel free to put any and all of those comparison shots in my thread:
https://forum.multitool.o...ex.php/topic,71217.0.html

The quality of your photos are so nice!

Thanks . . .
Did some pro work on the side in the past including studio, wedding/event, commercial (architectural, workplace, signage, etc), and small product type stuff.

It's all about lighting.

I'll post a pic of how I set stuff up for the knives on a dresser top.

John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD