Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Dilemma

us Online FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Dilemma
Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 04:06:30 PM

It's all about lighting.

So true, the word Photography means, To Write with Light.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 06:46:16 PM
Here is the lighting setup for a photo just posted on the comparison thread showing the relative thicknesses of six 58mm SAKs . . .

I used a light box for examining photographic negatives and slides as the main light in nearly all my SAK photos. Can also be used for making tracings as it's bright enough to push light through at least two sheets of paper. It provides an areal light source which greatly softens shadow edges, especially when it's that close. That's why you'll see umbrellas, light boxes and large reflectors in studios. It's to create areal sources and reflections from the point light source (strobes or hot lights). In lieu of a fill second light, I use bright white cards, or large envelopes, to reflect light back and reduce the depth of the shadows. The object isn't eliminating shadow but reducing contrast to make it less harsh. Added a couple white cards over the top to provide a little top lighting to fill in more between the knives. A couple test shots showed the shadows still a bit deep between them and those filled it in some. However, I still wanted enough shadow there to keep the edges of the SAKs highlighted and draw attention to that. Too much fill between them would diminish that. How much I use to reflect light back for fill and from which directions depends on the specific setup of the knife or knives. I orient the knives, light box and reflectors used accordingly.

It's important to note that near zero light other than a very small amount of ambient is coming from the camera point of view. Significant light from the camera direction creates flat images lacking dimensional  depth or texture. The first thing one is taught regarding photographic lighting is to get the main light(s) and primary fill light (s) off of and away from the camera!

This is the photo that resulted from this setup, as shot from directly above.

Edit:
The surface under the SAKs in this photo is the bottom side of a small watch case made of an extremely fine brushed finish anodized aluminum. Light is scattered from it versus a more polished surface that would have distinct reflections. Gives a silvery gray background. I use various surfaces and textures under the knives and different colored background cards. Depends on the knives, scale colors, and the mood I want to give the result.

John
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:05:02 PM by jalind »
John

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #62 on: April 11, 2018, 06:47:20 PM
Great HowTo. Thanks for sharing!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #63 on: April 11, 2018, 11:08:58 PM
What about the alox classic???
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #64 on: April 11, 2018, 11:10:41 PM
Great HowTo. Thanks for sharing!

:cheers: :tu:

Agreed, thanks!

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 11:13:10 PM
What about the alox classic???

I love the looks of the Alox Classic, and may end up with one (or another 58mm model in Alox) in the future. As for now, I am awaiting delivery of a Pioneer X, which I sincerely hope will be my EDC for the foreseeable future! Who knows though, I may need a matching 58mm Alox to round out my carry...  :)

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #66 on: April 17, 2018, 08:20:51 PM
Well, today was a good mail day! My new Pioneer X is here, and it’s beautiful...

Thanks to everyone for your input, I can already see that this is going to make a perfect EDC knife for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #67 on: April 17, 2018, 10:04:05 PM
Nice!  May it serve you well.  :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #68 on: April 17, 2018, 10:08:00 PM

Thanks! I think it will - it certainly feels more skookum than my Super Tinker!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:18 PM
Well, today was a good mail day! My new Pioneer X is here, and it’s beautiful...

Thanks to everyone for your input, I can already see that this is going to make a perfect EDC knife for me!

Congratulations on the new Pioneer X gc! :like: :tu: :tu:

Nice pic! :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #70 on: April 18, 2018, 12:06:42 AM
Skookum? :think:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #71 on: April 18, 2018, 12:18:16 AM
Congratulations and great pics - But ......  :imws:

Although I do like the sound of that word  :tu:  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:19:58 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 12:46:03 AM
Utilized el glossary.

It means strong or impressive

Thanks for making my vocabulary skookum!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:47:46 AM by El Corkscrew »

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: April 18, 2018, 12:54:43 AM

Thanks! I think it will - it certainly feels more skookum than my Super Tinker!

I have one . . . not just skookum, it's a skookum choocher!

John
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:57:58 AM by jalind »
John

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 02:12:50 AM
Interesting stuff - I thought skookum was was a commonly understood term! Must be a Canadian thing.

By the way, I’ve noticed that one rivet on the back of the knife has quite a sharp edge to it, is this common? It’s not a big deal, but I have caught my hand on it a few times already...

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: April 18, 2018, 08:02:27 AM
Interesting stuff - I thought skookum was was a commonly understood term! Must be a Canadian thing.

By the way, I’ve noticed that one rivet on the back of the knife has quite a sharp edge to it, is this common? It’s not a big deal, but I have caught my hand on it a few times already...

It's uniquely Canadian slang. Some of us not far south of the border understand some of the more common slang. Helps when you have a cousin that lives in Minnesota, eh? She picked up some of it from the Canadian transplants around her. In addition I worked on parts of the Canadian Air Traffic Control System several decades ago with a number of Canadians.

John

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #76 on: April 18, 2018, 09:28:28 AM
I've never run into a rivet that cut me. It might be a defect maybe you should get a new one

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #77 on: April 18, 2018, 01:21:20 PM
Am I the only one humming "cry me a rivet" right now?...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #78 on: April 18, 2018, 03:57:53 PM
I've never run into a rivet that cut me. It might be a defect maybe you should get a new one
It’s not sharp enough to cut me, just sharp enough to catch my fingers... more of an annoyance than anything.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #79 on: April 20, 2018, 06:05:51 AM
Can it be filed down a little ???

Unfortunately not with a 91mm SAK file - As they stupidly (IMHO) don't put the file serrations right to the end of the file !!
And we have that silly nail cleaner   :pok:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: April 20, 2018, 10:07:47 AM
It’s not sharp enough to cut me, just sharp enough to catch my fingers... more of an annoyance than anything.

Can it be carefully peened down some using a proper diameter drift pin or nail set. Based on your description it's what I would try if feasible. If it's catching the very edge of the pin, it probably wouldn't take much to do this along the portion of the edge that's catching.

John

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #81 on: May 02, 2018, 02:15:24 AM
Can it be filed down a little ???

Unfortunately not with a 91mm SAK file - As they stupidly (IMHO) don't put the file serrations right to the end of the file !!
And we have that silly nail cleaner   :pok:

Hey, it's not THAT silly...  I've come to appreciate the nail cleaner.. somehow I end up with dirty fingernails on the regular..  The spear point on the nail cleaner works much better than the SD tip.    It's for those frou frou SAK carriers who care about their fingernails. :D

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #82 on: May 02, 2018, 02:28:05 AM
Hmmmm

There are many, many times when I need to do a bit of fine filing (not finger nails) - eg on metal or wood - and I need a file with serrations right to the tip.
I can't use the big beefy file from my tool box as it's too big, and I really need to use a fine SAK type of file - But I can't as it has the stupid nail cleaner tip   ;)
The burr on the pins in this thread is a perfect example of this !!

So what I usually do is drag out my old Champion which has the original file and do the job, which as I am always loath to do as it is in 'the collection' and I want to keep it nice!!

I do care about finger nails too -   ;)  - But I would use that wonderful tool the awl to do that - Perfect 

To me the 91mm SAKs are tools for DIY style jobs - The 58mms are for personal care -  So IMHO a nail cleaner belongs on the 58mms - Not the 91mms 

Just my thoughts/requirements!   :pok:     :D 

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #83 on: May 02, 2018, 02:38:20 AM
That makes awl the sense in the world,  Ralph  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%