Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has anyone removed the LCD Digital Scales? Easy swap?

us Online FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
I'm working on making an EDC that has all the features I like in one knife.  I'm getting close.
One thing I'd like is an LCD readout on the scale.  Essentially, I'd like the scale of the first knife on the front scale of the 3rd knife:

Hmmmmm, now that I just typed that, I wonder if I'd miss my Camping scales....so perhaps I will keep the 3rd knife as-is, it really is an amazing knife for my needs:

At some point, I'm going to want to have a mod made that will have the LCD scales.  Does anyone here have information on the process, or a link?

Thank you in advance.

Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

no Offline Toppskarven .

Re: Has anyone removed the LCD Digital Scales? Easy swap?
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
I'm working on making an EDC that has all the features I like in one knife.  I'm getting close.
One thing I'd like is an LCD readout on the scale.  Essentially, I'd like the scale of the first knife on the front scale of the 3rd knife:
(Image removed from quote.)

Hmmmmm, now that I just typed that, I wonder if I'd miss my Camping scales....so perhaps I will keep the 3rd knife as-is, it really is an amazing knife for my needs:
(Image removed from quote.)

At some point, I'm going to want to have a mod made that will have the LCD scales.  Does anyone here have information on the process, or a link?

Thank you in advance.

Got the same idea...  :popcorn:

When I win the lottery I'll commission a piece from Syph007 that has Ti scales w/electronics...! (Syph: If you read this feel free to try it and send the prototype to me for quality control  :D)

What knife/tools do you plan in your EDC SAK?
Posted using my electronic SAK scales

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.
-Make intricate machinery and weapons.
-Aren't concerned with the wars of men.

DWARVES! THE SWISS ARE DWARVES!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:40:38 PM
I have removed a set, and it didn't go so well unfortunately, the plastic is more brittle than either cellidor or nylon, and the mounting points were significantly damaged. I think they could be glued back on, but carefully so the glue doesn't get in the pivots or electronics. The liner is different under the E scale also, and would have to be reused during reassembly.

Another way I have removed a scale I wanted to reuse, is to pry off the side you dont want, then disassemble the whole knife until you are left with pins and the scale you want to keep, then carefully tilt each pin and rotate it out at an angle so to minimize damage. I have had great success with this on Sentinel clips where I wanted the clip scale for another build, and some other random cellidors.

Good luck FB.  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:41:48 PM by twiliter »

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:47:20 PM
Another way I have removed a scale I wanted to reuse, is to pry off the side you dont want, then disassemble the whole knife until you are left with pins and the scale you want to keep, then carefully tilt each pin and rotate it out at an angle so to minimize damage.
Now that is good thinking!  :think: :hatsoff:

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:58:26 PM
Another way I have removed a scale I wanted to reuse, is to pry off the side you dont want, then disassemble the whole knife until you are left with pins and the scale you want to keep, then carefully tilt each pin and rotate it out at an angle so to minimize damage.
Now that is good thinking!  :think: :hatsoff:

Glad you approve Topp, welcome to MTO.  :cheers:

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:17 PM
Good luck FB.  :tu:
That is a GREAT tip!  Thank you!  :tu:

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:40:01 PM
In order to minimize layers, I always have to opt for large blade/combo tool layer as one layer.
Wood saw layer
flashlight/magnifier layer
Cybertool layer
Scissor layer

Plus scales on the back, and LCD on the front.
Parcel hook with nail file on it.
Awl on back layer
Corkscrew w/mini screw driver

I doubt I'd ever long for another EDC.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:53:12 PM by FolderBeholder »

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 12:38:19 AM
The way I remove/apply scales (also the translucent ones) is to run hot water on the scales. Then take a watchopener/the shark fin on the canopener to carefully slide it between outer liner and the scale. I start with  the middle pin and approach it from the pin furthest away from that pin, and unfasten that point.

You should need no heavy force. It should click open rather easy. Test run on a beater knife, should things go bad on that then it won't be such a loss.

After you got middle one ,or if you start with the "lone" one , that works perhaps better. The rest should go easy.

If the scales are warm enough then they should feel less pressure resistant to soft pressure from your finger.

Considering electronics, if you cannot apply water on the scales alone then I'd try holding it in the air over a sinc stove (obviously not a gas one )

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 02:32:55 AM

The way I remove/apply scales (also the translucent ones) is to run hot water on the scales.

I don't think the electronics in the digital scales would like that very much.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:41:35 PM

The way I remove/apply scales (also the translucent ones) is to run hot water on the scales.

Yes, I address that later in the post.

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:44 PM
Thank you all for the comments.  I believe I have found a good candidate for an almost perfect SAK for me.
It's an Expedition Lite. 
According to http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Expedition+Lite, it wasn't offered in the US, so I am going to have a long wait to find one, unless I get lucky.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:20:48 PM by FolderBeholder »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 07:08:55 PM
Thank you all for the comments.  I believe I have found a good candidate for an almost perfect SAK for me.
It's an Expedition Lite. 
According to http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Expedition+Lite, it wasn't offered in the US, so I am going to have a long wait to find one, unless I get lucky.

One of my favorite knives. I have one in my collection that I bought new in Italy and a user that I got on eBay for $22. Great hiking knife - took mine all through Rocky Mountain National Park a couple years and the altimeter was surprisingly accurate.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:20:33 PM
It's an Expedition Lite. 

Looks like a great choice FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

Hope you get lucky and find one soon. :cheers:

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:22 PM
Thank you jazzbass and Vicman.
The search is on, I posted a WTB:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76850.new.html#new

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 07:36:41 PM
In order to minimize layers, I always have to opt for large blade/combo tool layer as one layer.
Wood saw layer
flashlight/magnifier layer
Cybertool layer
Scissor layer

Plus scales on the back, and LCD on the front.
Parcel hook with nail file on it.
Awl on back layer
Corkscrew w/mini screw driver

I doubt I'd ever long for another EDC.  :cheers:

Sounds like a great set.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 07:37:27 PM

You can use a hair dryer instead of the stove.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 07:45:28 PM

Or use a microwave...  >:D :angel: :rofl:

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 08:26:20 PM
One of my favorite knives. I have one in my collection that I bought new in Italy.
I just found this one, he has 5 of them, does it seem a reasonable price?  I am asking about shipping now.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/222527070102?ViewItem=&item=222527070102

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:17 PM
Or use a microwave...  >:D :angel: :rofl:

Would create more sparking than using the awl on a fire starting flint!

Edit:
Be very cautious with heat on Cellidor. Guys have run SAKs through their dishwasher top rack where one would put heat sensitive stuff and destroyed the scales. In addition, I believe there's some information about the LED clock and similar scales in the mod forum. Dealing with those electronics and the liner under them is a whole different ball game. You cannot use the watch knife like you would on standard Cellidor scales.

John
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:45:13 PM by jalind »
John

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 09:23:30 PM

Haha true!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:41 PM
Some discussion about the Traveller Lite electronics scales and removing them for a different mod. One of the approaches is similar, disassembling the Traveller from the other side, layer by layer down to the electronics liner and scales.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68808.msg1363366.html

John

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 10:43:44 PM
Some discussion about the Traveller Lite electronics scales and removing them for a different mod. One of the approaches is similar, disassembling the Traveller from the other side, layer by layer down to the electronics liner and scales.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68808.msg1363366.html

John

That linked proved quite an informative read, thank you for posting it!  :cheers:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 11:29:26 PM
One of my favorite knives. I have one in my collection that I bought new in Italy.
I just found this one, he has 5 of them, does it seem a reasonable price?  I am asking about shipping now.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/222527070102?ViewItem=&item=222527070102

That's not too out of line FB, I remember them being about $150 when they were available from Vic.  :tu:

Might be a better deal in the long run to have a factory made model for the warranty anyway (and also you keep the small blade, better can opener, and awlmighty awl).  ;)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 12:08:27 AM
https://www.ebay.de/itm/2...em=&item=222527070102

That's not too out of line FB, I remember them being about $150 when they were available from Vic.  :tu:

Might be a better deal in the long run to have a factory made model for the warranty anyway (and also you keep the small blade, better can opener, and awlmighty awl).  ;)

Cannot claim that's the lowest price to be found but did some looking and saw much higher from a couple other sources. The seller has shipping to USA listed (I can still read a little German) but it appears to be slowest method. Nevertheless, having bought things from Germany, Switzerland, France, UK and elsewhere in Europe plus Canada, the best method for me from Germany has always been via Bundespost which transfers to US Postal Service who herds it through US Customs. It can go by International Small Packet which is the generic name for a type of air mail for small packages; doesn't take weeks by boat. Would have to translate that into the Bundepost equivalent which might be DHL now as I believe the Bundespost transferred handling all package mail to them. Going by other means such as Fedex or UPS can get costly, especially if there's a "fee" added by the carrier to herd it through US Customs. Some folks don't like USPS; I've never had a problem here with excellent local Post Office, its local Postmaster, and the carriers.

John
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:13:00 AM by jalind »
John

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:25 PM
https://www.ebay.de/itm/2...em=&item=222527070102

Cannot claim that's the lowest price to be found but did some looking and saw much higher from a couple other sources. The seller has shipping to USA listed (I can still read a little German) but it appears to be slowest method. Nevertheless, having bought things from Germany, Switzerland, France, UK and elsewhere in Europe plus Canada, the best method for me from Germany has always been via Bundespost which transfers to US Postal Service who herds it through US Customs. It can go by International Small Packet which is the generic name for a type of air mail for small packages; doesn't take weeks by boat. Would have to translate that into the Bundepost equivalent which might be DHL now as I believe the Bundespost transferred handling all package mail to them. Going by other means such as Fedex or UPS can get costly, especially if there's a "fee" added by the carrier to herd it through US Customs. Some folks don't like USPS; I've never had a problem here with excellent local Post Office, its local Postmaster, and the carriers.

John

just to add, I've had about 10-12 packages shipped from Germany to my country,
half the times more or less seller used Bundepost, and the other half (with two exceptions) it was carried out by DHL.

I was happy every time with both options   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:01 PM
As a follow-up to this thread, I did order the Expedition Lite kit directly from Victorinox yesterday.
It's $210 at the time of this post, and I had a 20% off coupon, so that $42 off helped me financially.
Can't wait to see it in person.  It's a 6 layer knife, and I look forward to taking some photos of it side-by-side with some of my other SAKs.  :cheers:

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 05:48:50 PM
 :popcorn:

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 06:24:04 PM
I'm also wondering how it lines up with others. The light is a thick layer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:28:37 PM by jalind »
John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24