Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Used Victorinox Rucksack (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Used Victorinox Rucksack (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
on: April 09, 2018, 09:16:10 PM
This tool review is part of a challenge, to see what the best tool was I could find for $15, with tax and shipping included. Here's a link to the main thread of the challenge, showing all of the entries.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76694.0.html

This 111mm Victorinox Rucksack was purchased used on ebay, for $14.99, with shipping included.

The tool was in pretty good shape, except that the tip of the blade was bent. That is somewhat visible in the picture below.

This is the first Victorinox tool in any of my challenges in the 111mm size, and the first with a locking blade. The blade lock is the slide-lock style. The gray unlocking tab can clearly be seen in the picture.

I <THINK> this is also the first nylon scale knife in any of my challenges, but I'll have to look back on that to make sure.

This isn't the only good Vic knife I found at the $15 price range. I also got a Ranger for $15, but decided that essentially all of its functions on 91mm knives had already been covered by previous entries that the Rucksack was a better entrant. However, it should be noted that at the $15 price range, 3-layer Vics in great condition, and 4-layer in good condition in the 91mm range are pretty readily available on ebay.

I have to admit at this point that I am extremely biased in favor of the Rucksack model, having owned one for quite some time, and it growing to become maybe my favorite 111mm tool.

Why would I favor this over something like the Trekker/2008 Soldier? Mainly weight. At 103g  (3.63oz) it has nearly identical function, at a much lighter weight. The benefit of the one hand opening function is offset by the discomfort in prolonged use of the saw caused by the OHO blade 'bump'.The Trekker has a phillips driver which I would prefer to the corkscrew, but honestly, for woodland stuff, a corkscrew is likely to be more useful (for picking apart knots).

Here's a look at my $14.99 acquisition.

Review of functions to follow.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Re: Used Victorinox Rucksack (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:46:45 PM
The blade.

As received, the blade has a fairly serious bend at the tip, and a tiny portion broken off. Otherwise, the blade was still moderately sharp, would cleanly cut notebook paper, and raggedly cut receipt paper.

I recently received a new sharpening system, and decided to see how well it worked, reshaping the tip and sharpening the edge. So it now begins testing almost hairpopping sharp.

There is a very tiny amount of side to side play in the blade, and a bit more forward and back, in the locked position, but neither make the blade seem unstable.

First test was cutting corrugated cardboard.

There is something about the blade geometry of the Victorinox knives that make them very smoothly cut cardboard. This one was no exception. In fact, I'd have to say that this blade was the best in terms of ergonomics and control of any tool I've ever tested. It may not always be obvious from the pictures, but if you look at the photos of these tests closely, you can sometimes see how much my cuts wander in the cardboard strips. For the most part, I was able to keep very good 1/4" strips. Any issues were with the user, not the tool. :D

The 111mm nylon handle seems to fit perfectly in my (medium sized) hand. I've had hot spots with other tools just from ten cuts through cardboard, where this tool feels like i could use it for hours comfortably.

So, after the cuts, how was edge retention? I took it back to paper cutting, using phone book paper.

It still cut the phone book paper cleanly, both on push and pull cuts, with only the weight of the tool pressing down.

I then tried to make some firestick curls on a piece of aged ash.

It worked fantastically. I really can't overstress how comfortable this tool is, and how well it works.

So, Last thing, I gave it a shot at a plunge cut into an old plastic trash can, to see how well it would handle the thrust.

Two somewhat interesting notes. First, the first time I thrust, I didn't do it hard enough. This is not a great piercing blade, and I suspect the slightly bent tip didn't help in the matter. Second, ONCE it pierced, it cut a downward stroke through that plastic with crazy ease. (Sharp eyed viewers may also notice two holes drilled in the trashcan from previous awl tests. :D )

During the thrust, I didn't have any sense that the blade would collapse closed. Everything about this blade while cutting felt 'safe', comfortable, controllable, and just simply very good at the job. It's not a great thrusting cutter, but it doesn't need to be.

Blade: PASS with Distinction.

Seriously, it's easily the best blade I've tested in the Challenge series.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:16:00 PM
The Saw.

If you're getting the Rucksack, you're essentially getting it for two things, a locking blade and the saw.

A few years ago, I ran a test comparing several MT saws, and my Rucksack was the one I liked the most.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37422.msg833859.html#msg833859

The saw on THIS Rucksack was no different. It is still sharp, and I tried it against a 1" Ash branch.

It had no difficulty.

And I have to say again, without the bump in the blade for the one-hand-open blade hole getting in the way while using the saw, the use of the saw on the Rucksack is considerably better than the OHO Trekker/Soldier, in my opinion, simply due to ergonomics, since they have identical saw blades.

And just for reference, here's what the saw blade looks like compared to that of the 93mm Farmer.

In a lot of cases, just because a tool is longer, doesn't make it function better. (please keep you dirty minds in check here :D )

One case where it DOES seem to matter is with saws. And while the Rangergrip might be longer, I found the handle less comfortable, as noted in the post I linked above.

In the world of Multitools, the Victorinox 111mm saw may very well be the best. But this might also depend on the size of your hand. Folks with bigger hands might find the saws on the 130mm tools comfortable, and benefit from the longer saw blade. For me, though, absolutely it's the 111mm Vic.

Saw: PASS with distinction

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:37:30 PM
The screwdrivers

The Rucksack as the can opener/small flathead driver, and cap lifter/large flathead combination seen a most 84, 91, 93, and 111mm tools.

The small flathead on the can opener can work as a light duty phillips driver.

It managed even the phillips screws driven into the hardwood frames of my cabinets.

I wouldn't even try this tool against a long woodscrew, though.

The flathead is sized well for general use, lightswitch faceplates, door latchplates and such. Here it's tightening up a screw on a deadbolt faceplate.

It seemed to handle that well enough that I gave it a go at the 'crusty paint can pry test'.

It worked, but it was making me nervous.

I should note that the flathead has a half-stop like most modern flathead drivers on Vic tools.

I've repeatedly said how X is better on the Rucksack than on the Trekker/Soldier. Well, this layer is probably the exception. The thickness of this layer is like that on a 91mm Vic. It's not even as thick of stock as on the 93mm tools, and I could feel the tool flexing on the pry test. A 93mm Farmer or Pioneer doesn't flex on that test, and a Trekker/Soldier doesn't either. Couple that with the fact that the flathead on the Trekker/Soldier locks open, and it becomes a MUCH more robust pry tool. In this regard, the Rucksack might better be thought of as an upscaled Camper.

Drivers for light duty: Pass
Flathead as light duty pry tool: Pass, but don't push it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:50:09 PM
The awl was in good condition on this tool. It seemed unused.

Like with all of the t-handle awls on Vics, it works great for light stuff like punching a hole in leather, but is exceptionally good at drilling. I used this one to drill a hole through the 1" piece of ash branch I cut in the saw test.

As with the cap lifter and can opener, the Awl is likewise essentially identical to what you'd get on a 91mm Vic.

I think I've said enough about my love of the Vic Awl. It's great. PASS.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:02:28 PM
So, does the can opener open cans?

It does. Cleanly, neatly , easily, and well, without gouging the rim or the inside of the can wall.

And next, does it open bottles?

It does, and with the longer handle, gives better leverage... not that I've ever met a really stubborn bottle cap or anything...

Again, these functions are essentially identical to that on a 91mm tool, but all of the vics from the 84 to the 111mm all open bottles and cans about equally well.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:21:12 PM
The miscellaneous functions.

Corkscrew is there. I have no bottles to open, so it will go untested, but I can say with confidence from previous experience, it works just fine both for opening bottles and picking knots apart.

Toothpick and tweezers. It's a used tool... I'm not testing that toothpick.  :rofl: The tweezers are up to the standard of all Vic tweezers. They are pretty good. My standard test is to try to pluck a hair without cutting the hair, and these did that task just fine.

Lanyard ring... One of the minor downsides of this knife is that it's not a great size for pocket carry, in my opinion. However, the inclusion of the lanyard ring allows a dangler clip to be added, and makes it at least somewhat more reasonable for pocket carry. I still don't find it comfortable, but some people can tolerate a lot more junk in their pockets than I can.

The last note I'd like to make on 'function' is the nylon scales. I've now had a number of tools with nylon scales, and they handle scuffing really well. I accidentally dropped the tool (twice) in my basement while doing the crusty paint can pry test, once from about 1 foot height, and once from about 3 feet, and I could not find the damage on the scales after impacting a bare concrete floor. They CAN be scuffed and damaged, but generally wear pretty darn well. Also... I really LIKE the red scales. I think the only one i leke better for the Nylon are the Stay Glow, and I don't even know if they make stay glo scales for the slide lock 111mm models.

The Rucksack sort of splits the difference between the Camper and the Trekker. In some ways it's more sturdy than a Farmer, and in some ways, the Farmer is more sturdy. It sits in a strange position. The best way to say it, I think, is that it's the locking blade and longer saw of the 111mm married to the lighter tools (and accompanying weight savings) of a 91mm tool.

The odds of finding a Rucksack at $15 are not high, but it's not impossible. However, IF you find one, expect there to be at least something minor wrong with it. For the condition this tool is in, I was thrilled to find it at this price. The only thing wrong wit hit at all was the bent tip of the blade. I saw another one that looked like it had spent a few days being run over on a highway. I passed on that one. :D

So, is this one a contender? Absolutely. Its only real weakness is the low number of functions. We'll see how it holds up as the challenge continues.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 11:28:48 PM
The pins on side locking 111 mm knives and 91 mm knives are both 2.5 mm, and the small tools are the same, so really no surprise the prying performance is pretty much identical. Similarly with liner locking 111 mm and 93 mm, they both have 3.0 mm pins which give a 44% larger cross section, as well as steel liners and thicker aluminium, respectively. And thicker tools, of course.

(I know you know, Lynn, I just felt it was relevant to the thread.  :climber: )

Also: :popcorn:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 12:21:16 AM
The pins on side locking 111 mm knives and 91 mm knives are both 2.5 mm, and the small tools are the same, so really no surprise the prying performance is pretty much identical. Similarly with liner locking 111 mm and 93 mm, they both have 3.0 mm pins which give a 44% larger cross section, as well as steel liners and thicker aluminium, respectively. And thicker tools, of course.

(I know you know, Lynn, I just felt it was relevant to the thread.  :climber: )

Also: :popcorn:

In fact, I did NOT know. I did kind of assume that was the case, just from feel, but excellent to know.  :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:07:35 PM
good as usual  :salute:

that blade is definitely not a piercer. My very sharp Outrider was my only knife as a teen for a few years and it had trouble stabbing and piercing many things that irresponsible teens play with and destroy  :P (plastic jugs, wooden structures, etc.) but it was admirably tough and resilient I must admit, considering now what I put it through  :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 01:59:42 PM
 :like:
I don't care if the Rucksack wins or not. If you find a Rucksack for $15, you buy it. Simple as that.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 04:10:45 PM
I don't care if the Rucksack wins or not. If you find a Rucksack for $15, you buy it. Simple as that.

:tu:

it Offline Mini

Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 11:08:52 PM

:tu:
+1 :tu:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 05:44:05 PM
The Rucksack does achieve a sort of perfection in its class. It is a great toss in the pocket for a half-day in the hills. My sawing grip isn't bothered by the OHO hole protrusion, but I rarely find the need to use one hand only. I would have been happy enough if Vic would have slightly beefed up 111mm side-lock models. I don't mean to pry into anyone else's knife habits, but I am cautious even with the much heavier locking driver/pry-bar of the liner-lock 111mm. Yet the lightness of the Rucksack makes it, for me, fine to toss in a pocket, and that's a plus.

Nice review of a semi-classic.  :tu:   

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 08:18:56 PM
The Rucksack is a fine knife, but people are talking like you are forced into buying an OH knife if you want a linerlock?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:51 PM
I think the OHO versions are just WAY more common around here. I've never seen a non-OHO trekker available in stores here. It's not like i couldn't order one online, just never have, and I don't recall seeing any (or at least many) on ebay.

I'm sure the non-OHO versions are more common where locking and OHO features together are frowned upon (or straight up illegal).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 01:59:50 PM
I think the OHO versions are just WAY more common around here. I've never seen a non-OHO trekker available in stores here. It's not like i couldn't order one online, just never have, and I don't recall seeing any (or at least many) on ebay.

I'm sure the non-OHO versions are more common where locking and OHO features together are frowned upon (or straight up illegal).

in my country you find 10 non-OHO 111mm for every OHO one, at the very least  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 03:00:43 PM
Hey Lynn

Thanks so much for all these tests you do.
They are well thought out, realistic, useful and always good fun
I for one, and I am sure everyone else, really appreciates you putting in the effort.

Re The Rucksack - I have one too and I like it.
Once on a climbing trip to Switzerland I forgot my trusty Huntsman - But wait a minute I'm in Switzerland - I can buy a new one
So I bought my Rucksack in a little Coop in the Zermatt valley - along with food provisions etc 

Why would I favor this over something like the Trekker/2008 Soldier? Mainly weight. At 103g  (3.63oz) it has nearly identical function, at a much lighter weight. The benefit of the one hand opening function is offset by the discomfort in prolonged use of the saw caused by the OHO blade 'bump'........
This is interesting though - As the Rucksack (along with alll side-lock 111mm Vics) are no more as of 2017
- Now you can now only get the heavier Forester or Trekker etc - The weight difference is quite surprising 20-30g or 25% from side lock to liner lock
So hang onto your slide lock models everyone

Me not a big fan of the OHO bump either
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:02:04 PM by Huntsman »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 03:40:41 PM
I suspect the big difference is the steel liner, I doubt the slightly thicker tools is the main reason.

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 06:45:08 PM
well Lynn after finally reading this I can only say that I love this review and test
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 07:41:30 PM
well Lynn after finally reading this I can only say that I love this review and test

:salute:

Go get one. They're awesome. :D

Also, I'm glad to see some ongoing discussion on this thread. I really like this tool, and feel it's generally underrated.

hr Offline styx

Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 10:37:49 PM

:salute:

Go get one. They're awesome. :D

Also, I'm glad to see some ongoing discussion on this thread. I really like this tool, and feel it's generally underrated.

I have a Hunter already which is a designated hiking knife, especially in areas and times when OHO isn't preferable. Close enough to the Rucksack
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 03:09:53 AM
I have just received this very one in the mail today. Most of my SAKs are 91mm, 3 and 4 layers. This is a beast in comparison.

Laying it down between the Victorinox Camper and my Buck 110 Paperstone EcoLite, the size of this is as close to the 110 as it is far from the Camper.

Ricasso to tip, the main blade is almost as long as the Buck 110, though the lock isn't near as solid and the belly not as deep. The handle is ergonomic and larger at the back, as a 110 is, yet slightly contoured, akin the the idea of the Buck 112.

The saw is longer than the saw on my Original Generation Leatherman Super Tool.

I can imagine the one-hand -opening Trekker bulge digging into my fingers, but I can also imagine the smooth Philips screw driver neatly packed away on the Trekker, not digging into my palm as the corkscrew does, albeit so slightly.

Rucksack seems lighter than an Explorer, though perhaps a little heavier than the 110 EcoLite.

I can see permanently attaching it to my hiking pack.

Now I really want to try the One Hand Trekker, as I believe the openers to be of thicker and bigger stock more like the 93mm Alox models.

Can't go wrong with a Rucksack, is my estimate

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD