Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Metal Detecting.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Metal Detecting.
on: February 26, 2015, 03:32:00 PM
Off from work again...suffering a terrible flu but trying to do something around the house so that I am not feeling totally useless.

Anyways, I thought to myself that I should probably clean out a storage space that is in my bedroom but lies under the stairs. It is a somewhat long and narrow space. Well I found some treasures in there, and I am sorry to say, the last time I was in here was back in 2009.

What I found, was a pair of metal detectors. My father and I would go out and lazily walk the local beaches in search for hidden treasure. Never found anything worthwhile except for a gold necklace that my father found. I did find plenty of pop tabs, and other junk. Towards the end, i was getting pretty good at deciphering the junk from the somewhat better stuff.

We did this for about 2 years and then stopped. I can't recall why we stopped. Either way, I am a bit stoked at re-finding them. I do recall metal detecting as being very relaxing father/son bonding time.

Here is my machine...a Discovery 3300 Bounty Hunter bought at Radio Shack.

It is remarkably full featured for the price. Nothing top gear about it, but it worked wonderfully as far as I can recall.

My Dad's rig is I believe, of higher quality. He used a Bounty Hunter Landstar.

I might try my hand at it again this Summer, if time permits. I just finished testing them out with new 9V batteries. Thankful I removed them for storage years ago.

Anyone else have experience and tales of their metal detecting adventures? I always thought it would be neat to find old items...like those folks who live in Europe.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Metal Detecting.
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:03:39 PM
Here are a couple of videos that will give you a good idea on how these metal detectors work...and in most cases, how most metal detectors function.

I found this great video that shows how the Discovery 3300 works...

This one on the Landstar

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:06:51 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 01:33:47 PM
Necro resurrection thread alert! Rising from the dead...a not very popular topic...

I was one of the local  pawn shops when I spied a Garrett backpack. After looking inside, I noted a metal detector. I didn't pay much attention to it as to model, and looked at the price. Around $100 bucks...ok. I left after doing my rounds. When I got back home later that night, I did a little research and found that the base model is a 150 Ace, and then there was a 200/250 model, a 300, and a 400 model as well. I got to thinking what if it was a higher model of the Ace lineup...for that price, it could be a steal.

I went back the next day and after closer examination, found out that it wasn't a 150 as expected, but a 250. Upon closer inspection, I also noted that the unit was brand spanking new possibly used only once or twice it seems if at all. There was also a larger coil a 9" X 12", a backpack, the weather cover for the unit, and a pair of Garrett branded headphones. No instructions included, but I knew that a quick look online would give that to me in PDF format. I haggled them down to no tax.  :tu:

So here is the newer Garrett 250 Ace next to my older Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, and Bounty Hunter Landstar.

From left to right, Garrett 250 Ace, Discover 3300, and Landstar.

The Garrett 250 Ace is billed as an intermediate metal detector, sitting bellow the 300 and 400 Ace models.

- Electronic Pinpointing: to precisely locate target and speed recovery
- Accept/Reject Discrimination: to modify discrimination patterns
- Five Search Modes: select pre-set discrimination pattern or create your own
- Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth
- Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually
- Interchangeable ACE series searchcoils: are available
- Expanded Target ID Legend: easy-to-read above large LCD screen
- Pushbutton Controls: with One-Touch operation
- Other features: 3-piece travel/storage, disassembles to 24"; adjustable arm cuff; quarter-inch (1/4") size headphone jack.

I was a bit surprised to find that Bounty Hunter still makes the Discovery line to this day. The 3300 is their top end after the 1100 and 1200 models.

- Manual ground balance
- Zero in with microprocessor-controlled discrimination
- Deep-seeking one-touch pinpoint
- 5 Modes of operation
- 4-Tone and 11-segment target identification
- Coin-sized objects 11” deep, larger objects up to 4'
- Target number ID system

Still being produced under their "serious" category, the Landstar is also a capable rig.

- Choose between automatic or manual ground balancing
- 4 level iron discrimination maximizes relic hunting
- Digital coin depth indicator
- 9-segment visual target identification and
- 3-Tone audio

I was not planning on getting another metal detector, but I couldn't pass up this deal. I am curious to see how this Jarrett will compare to my other two. I should plan an outing sometime this month to test it out.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:54:12 PM
Nice ‘detectors!  :like: is there nothing that you don’t have a collection of?  :D :like:

Metal detecting in Ireland is banned to “prevent destruction of valuable archeological artifacts”  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 01:59:04 PM
Ouch. I did not know that.

Umm...It is always best to have a second unit in case you can cajole a friend in participating.  :tu:

I am mostly certain 3 will be my max...I hope.  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 03:14:27 PM
You need 4, in case you bring 3 friends. :pok:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 03:23:21 PM
I bought my son a cheap and cheerful detector.  It was fun walking with him and watching with excitement the "treasures" he found.  He was 5 or 6 at the time.  I wanted one, we have miles of beaches that could turn up something.  Worst case is a nice walk on the beach. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 03:49:27 PM
I'm in a prime spot atm to use one.
But laws here prohibit it.
Probably because chances are quite high to find a bomb or a body...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 03:55:24 PM

Yikes  :ahhh
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 04:04:02 PM

Yikes  :ahhh
I’m suddenly very grateful that we don’t have to deal with buried explosives here.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 04:48:22 PM
Likewise.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 02:42:03 AM
I think I could really get into metal detecting. My mom has a detector collecting dust.  Not a whole lot of places to go detecting unless it's with the local club with a permit. Texas folks , while friendly as all get out, will likely scattergun you digging on their property.
:like:    :MTO:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 10:25:26 AM

At home you're also in a prime spot to use a metal detector  :pok:.

I've found old coins (1800-1900), medieval coins, Roman coins ...  Musket balls, shrapnel balls (loads of them  :ahhh), and lots and lots of bullets from World War I and II (a lot of Belgian bullets from World War I, which are a lot better preserved than the German ones from that era, since they were made out of better steel.  At one of my first metal detecting trips I've even found a rifle grenade from World War II (one of these).  And shrapnel, shrapnel everywhere ...  I've not yet set foot on a piece of land where I haven't found some shrapnel, says a lot about our country's tumultuous past ...

A friend of mine even found a gold medieval coin, which has a value of about 1000 Euro, but he would never sell it, collectors ...  ::)           ;).

But lately, politicians have discoverd metal detecting and magnet fishing, and suddenly, a lot of the fun of the hobby is gone ...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 10:28:48 AM

If you've got some WW2 stuff to spare...

A local seller was selling a rusty german helmet for €110 and I was considering it... given it came 100% from Norman soil...
Eventualy I passed... can't keep buying stuff.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 12:35:09 PM
Nice metal detector find Dan!   :tu:

I keep toying with the idea of getting one- there are a lot of beaches and a lot of wealthy people in this area, so it seems silly not to poke around a bit, especially with a waterproof unit.  I was under the impression that a White's unit was the best option, but I am really interested in the Garrett AT Pro right now, not that I know much about them.   :facepalm:

Even so, I think a $100 unit from a pawn shop would be a winner, regardless of what my research shows!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 01:09:55 PM

I've found old coins (1800-1900), medieval coins, Roman coins ...  Musket balls, shrapnel balls (loads of them  :ahhh), and lots and lots of bullets from World War I and II (a lot of Belgian bullets from World War I, which are a lot better preserved than the German ones from that era, since they were made out of better steel. 

quality bullets are amazingly resistant, some of mine have been found metal detecting, dating from the Civil War (1936-39) and after cleaning they look so nice

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 02:17:42 PM
Def, you might be surprised what a cheap unit can do for you. Going up the $$$ gives you more features and possibly deeper scanning. Even the cheapest tend to have waterproof coils. All of mine are like that. Water is good so long as you don't get the electronics wet...so you don't need a very expensive water proof unit to enjoy beach combing.

Here is my take on the 3 units in my possession.

The Bounty Hunter Landstar is billed as a serious unit and is very capable. There is an abundance of manual controls above the starter cpu controls. I guess the deeper you get, the manual controls become more useful to tune the machine to your liking and ground conditions. This does make the unit a bit complicated for the beginner, but allows growth down the road. The LCD is simple and effective. The unit is a bit bulky compared to the other 2.

Here is the PDF manual.

https://www.detecting.com/manuals/Land-Star-Reader.pdf

The Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 is a very nice unit. Being the top model, I think this possibly beats the Landstar in features. I like this one a bit more than the Landstar because it also offers a digital target readout. I haven't  used it enough to get real good with this, but you can ID different targets based on the digital number given. The LCD is a bit easier to see than that of the Landstar.

Here is the PDF manual.

https://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/KotulaStorefrontAssetStore/images/pdf/25860.pdf

I haven't test driven the Garrett Ace 250, but it does appear to be lacking a few features of my two higher placed Bounty Hunters. On the flip side, this does appear to be an easier to use interface. The search coil is made a lot better with epoxy finish as opposed to cheap plastic housings. The feel of the foam grip is superior to my others as well.

Here is the PDF manual.

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/ace_150_250_manual_english.pdf

Def, you should get yourself a nice cheap starter and see how that goes. I have noted some real cheap units on Amazon for around 80 dollars. Can't go far wrong for that amount of money . If you like it, then upgrade to a more capable unit down the road.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:18:57 PM by Chako »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 04:21:51 PM
Now I want a metal detector and most of all more cash...

Thanks guys!

Yes, that was in a sarcastic voice tone...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%