Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MMA?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
MMA?
on: April 11, 2018, 09:51:59 AM
I started watching the UFC about two years ago after seeing clips of a Roy "Big Country" Nelson fight on Youtube........hooked! :like:

Many of those guys are just plain scary, but I look at some of those heavy weights and the money they make.......and I wish I was 10-15 years younger  >:D  >:D

Some folks reckon a 10-minute drive through our local taxis is enough to have me ripping off heads.......which is not untrue, but most likely unfair to any opponent I would face  :rofl:

Any other fans out there in touch with their inner animal?  >:D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Re: MMA?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:09:31 AM
I always found MMA interesting. Especially as they at least try to dispense with all the woodoo martial arts tend to gather when not in real use. But when I was at the university I had one schoolmate that did MMA. He was always hurt. While I don't mind the pain, I don't like that it interferes with all kinds of training. Especially when joints get hurt, which seems to happen a lot! So I decided not to do it. I still find it interesting though.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:20:59 AM
I used to watch them when they first started, in the mid-nineties, when I was also doing more training. In those days they were a lot less regulated and more dangerous.

I sort of went back to watching them about 10 years ago for a few months.

I think they are fun to watch, I do not really learn anything new from them, but you need to be up to date with all the fighters which is a pain.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:42:52 PM
I don't even know who any of the fighters are nowadays.  Give me the good old days with Dan Severn, Royce Gracie, Gary Goodridge, Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbott and Kimo Leopoldo, back when it was a tournament, and guys had to win multiple fights to win.

There was some strategy then, and since it was still new you still had all these weird guys coming in with strange fighting styles, like the Art Jimmerson who came in with one boxing glove.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:44:29 PM
..like the Art Jimmerson who came in with one boxing glove.   :facepalm:

Def

Just one boxing glove? What was the idea with that? Use it for cover against hits? Pillow smothering? Hide a horse shoe inside?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 02:49:02 PM
I don't even know who any of the fighters are nowadays.  Give me the good old days with Dan Severn, Royce Gracie, Gary Goodridge, Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbott and Kimo Leopoldo, back when it was a tournament, and guys had to win multiple fights to win.

There was some strategy then, and since it was still new you still had all these weird guys coming in with strange fighting styles, like the Art Jimmerson who came in with one boxing glove.   :facepalm:

Def

Never saw those guys fight, but I hear the names Gracie and Shamrock a lot.......  :salute:

The consensus seems to be the guys are getting better, and the measure seems to they must be good at everything and seamlessly integrate  all the martial arts.

I guess everybody knows Connor Mcgreggor though? Seriously respected his abilities despite not liking him much, following his stunts the past weekend and his recent refusals to defend his title I have no time left for him  >:(

I always found MMA interesting. Especially as they at least try to dispense with all the woodoo martial arts tend to gather when not in real use. But when I was at the university I had one schoolmate that did MMA. He was always hurt. While I don't mind the pain, I don't like that it interferes with all kinds of training. Especially when joints get hurt, which seems to happen a lot! So I decided not to do it. I still find it interesting though.  :D

I think that sport breaks you......

I think they are fun to watch, I do not really learn anything new from them, but you need to be up to date with all the fighters which is a pain.

I'm a firm believer of getting out and doing stuff, so being a supporter/fan of any sport is not really in my make-up.......

I drink beer and watch UFC, and when they start wrestling I really get into it  :cheers:

I don't worry about the details, perfect example is there's only one fighter that impressed me enough that I liked him on FB......and the very next fight he had his face kicked in  :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 03:30:42 PM
I was out with hubby last Wednesday, and there was a female match on the TV at the Mexican restaurant we went to. One fighter took a cut to the nose early on, and it ended up being one of the bloodier fights I've seen in a while.

The fighter with the cut seemed determined to let the other one use her face as a punching bag. Terrible defense. The match was also almost all punches. Very few kicks and almost no grappling. However, at the lighter weight classes, I usually see a lot more energetic action if the fight goes into later rounds, which was mostly the case in this one.

I don't have a problem with this kind of sport. However...

There is a mounting pile of evidence about how bad repeated blows to the head are for someone long-term. It's kind of horrifying to think tough-guy younger you is going to burden older you with brain trauma and all that comes along with it. Hey, turns out sloshing your brain around a lot is a bad idea. Imagine that. Maybe if you're good enough to earn enough to pay all those medical bills, it's worth it, but for every fighter that does earn enough, how many end up... well... frankly... committing suicide from depression brought on from brain trauma. Every body thinks about 'quit fighting from shoulder injury' or whatever, not 'ate a bullet at age 45'. Sorry if that's depressing, but it's reality.

As was already mentioned above, MMA might be as close as one can get to actual practical martial arts, as opposed to forms that are not much more (or not at all more) than essentially calisthenics.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 03:31:50 PM
I think that sport breaks you......

Yes it does. But in martial arts that is the whole point. So there is much more braking being done...  :D

Also:
+1 on brain damage. I need mine for a while longer. The before mentioned schoolmate of mine was training with a group where hits to the head were forbidden. I guess all those black eyes of his were form some form of remote wounding due to hydrostatic shock...  :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 03:36:35 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 03:58:49 PM
........ Every body thinks about 'quit fighting from shoulder injury' or whatever, not 'ate a bullet at age 45'. Sorry if that's depressing, but it's reality.

Same in IT  :facepalm:

My retirement plan however is .357  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 04:04:02 PM
I've been in a few fights, not much skill involved, just a very good chin (apparently) and a fighting instinct.....

One of the worst (and last I think  :think: ) my friend asked me a few days later "didn't you feel when he was hitting you?"  Honestly, no.

There was a lot of blood, washed and found not one drop was my own, and my only injuries were both hands.....

In some of these fights they seem to be hesitant, especially during ground&pound......that's where I would shine  :whistle:
 :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 04:29:55 PM
and +1 on brain damage

It's amazing how many of these folks get involved in fights, brawls, crimes and other dubious legal stuff very early in their careers, whenever they are out of the ring.  :ahhh
It makes me wonder if taking so many hits to the head has something to do with that behavior, or it's that kind of mindset that since childhood makes them take decisions to end up getting repeatedly hit in the head as adults   :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 05:20:06 PM
I used to watch fights, but I have stopped. I do not care for trash-talking (although it's always nice to see the trash-talking idiots get beaten), and hyping up matches that end up being less entertaining than watching paint dry.
I liked seeing fighters with unique marshal arts, nowadays everything has condensed into mma.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 08:38:10 PM
I was out with hubby last Wednesday, and there was a female match on the TV at the Mexican restaurant we went to. One fighter took a cut to the nose early on, and it ended up being one of the bloodier fights I've seen in a while.

The fighter with the cut seemed determined to let the other one use her face as a punching bag. Terrible defense. The match was also almost all punches. Very few kicks and almost no grappling. However, at the lighter weight classes, I usually see a lot more energetic action if the fight goes into later rounds, which was mostly the case in this one.

I don't have a problem with this kind of sport. However...

There is a mounting pile of evidence about how bad repeated blows to the head are for someone long-term. It's kind of horrifying to think tough-guy younger you is going to burden older you with brain trauma and all that comes along with it. Hey, turns out sloshing your brain around a lot is a bad idea. Imagine that. Maybe if you're good enough to earn enough to pay all those medical bills, it's worth it, but for every fighter that does earn enough, how many end up... well... frankly... committing suicide from depression brought on from brain trauma. Every body thinks about 'quit fighting from shoulder injury' or whatever, not 'ate a bullet at age 45'. Sorry if that's depressing, but it's reality.

As was already mentioned above, MMA might be as close as one can get to actual practical martial arts, as opposed to forms that are not much more (or not at all more) than essentially calisthenics.

In the early days of UFC gloves were not necessary and a lot of guys didn't bother with them.  This caused a lot of superficial injuries, but there were a lot less blows to the head because little hand bones don't do well on impact with larger, heavier bones like skulls.  Guys didn't want to break their hands (like Ken Shamrock did) and miss out on possibly taking the title, so they wouldn't hit each other in the face or head if they could avoid it.

But, this contributed to the amount of blood in the sport, since bare knuckles will open skin faster than padded fists will, and so it was sen as too violent.  For the "safety" of the contenders, and to appease the masses, gloves were made mandatory, so that way they could dispel with the messy minor injuries and allow fighters to be more dignified with heavy brain damage that only shows up when no one is looking.   :facepalm:

..like the Art Jimmerson who came in with one boxing glove.   :facepalm:

Def

Just one boxing glove? What was the idea with that? Use it for cover against hits? Pillow smothering? Hide a horse shoe inside?

My guess is that his strategy was to hold his opponent in one hand and pummel him with the other.  Unfortunately he was against Royce Gracie, one of the finest grapplers ever in the sport, and the main reason why ALL the fighters study BJJ nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0WL-8fz-Fg&t=355s

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 08:50:25 AM

My guess is that his strategy was to hold his opponent in one hand and pummel him with the other.  Unfortunately he was against Royce Gracie, one of the finest grapplers ever in the sport, and the main reason why ALL the fighters study BJJ nowadays.

Def

If that was the idea, then it was a really bad one :)

I remember when MMA got started. I think it did a great job at dispelling many of the martial arts more arty stuff. What works or not is always shaped by the rules of the competition (MMA included), but by allowing a wide range of styles and techniques it challenged many of the claims from various martial arts. Many were sitting on top of their own little mountain claiming greatness - MMA gave all a single bigger mountain to fight over. It gave many martial arts a much needed reality check, and a wider overall perspective.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:51:49 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 12:02:44 PM
Indeed it did.  But, as with anything it was boiled down to what worked and most traditional martial arts have gone by the wayside in favor of a combination of BJJ and Muay Thai.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of different disciplines represented anymore, and "MMA" seems to have become a fighting style unto itself these days.  I'm not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing, it is just what seems to have evolved.

The original reason for the UFC was because a couple of guys were sitting around one day saying "who would win in a fight, a karate guy or a Tae Kwon Do guy?"  The answer apparently is neither- the winner is a guy who waits until someone is sitting on his chest and pummeling him about the face and head while carefully reaching up and choking the other guy out.  Effective in the Octagon, but not so great in a street fight....

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 12:31:35 PM
I have no clue what Samba is.......but there are a few scary dudes from Dagestan in the UFC  :salute:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of different disciplines represented anymore, and "MMA" seems to have become a fighting style unto itself these days.  I'm not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing, it is just what seems to have evolved.

True

I've always been slightly put off by the spiritual side of many martial arts........I struggle to take it seriously  :facepalm:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 01:02:34 PM
As pointed out, taking a fight to the ground is one of the most stupid things you can do in a street/bar fight where there could be lots of people that could potentially attack you when you are on the ground - From experience :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 01:16:58 PM
There doesn't seem to be a lot of different disciplines represented anymore, and "MMA" seems to have become a fighting style unto itself these days.  I'm not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing, it is just what seems to have evolved.

Yes. The competitive style develops to what is effective within the rules, so at some point it makes sense that it makes its own way. Not sure what the rules are these days, but initially at least there weren't too many of them, so MMA did sort out a lot of fictional martial arts stuff. I think that in itself was very useful. Edutainment almost.

Effective in the Octagon, but not so great in a street fight....

I can only agree with that. People in the street might have weapons, improvised or otherwise, and even friends who step in. Going to the ground with one guy while his two friends stand and kick you or worse sounds bad. That said I do believe any sensible training is better than nothing - with emphasis on sensible.

I've always been slightly put off by the spiritual side of many martial arts........I struggle to take it seriously  :facepalm:

The spiritual stuff never did much for me either. But people are different. I don't think I would have been a good fit in more spiritual styles. I did find some of the more philosopical and strategy stuff interesting though.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 01:58:13 PM
What I want to know is what the hell was McGregor thinking?

And if Dana will make a GSP - Kabib fight any time soon
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 04:00:45 PM

He's lost the plot.......never liked his arrogance, respected his abilities.....now I don't mind if I never see him fight again.

Not just that incident, but also his unwillingness to defend his title.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 04:40:31 PM

He's lost the plot.......never liked his arrogance, respected his abilities.....now I don't mind if I never see him fight again.

I’m embarrassed to be Irish now, thanks to that guy.  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 05:05:12 PM
In response to how martial arts do or don't work in the real world, keep in mind that there are rules to every fighting competition, and pretty much the only 'rule' in a street fight is 'win'.

Below the belt is fair, eye gouges are fair, bringing a knife to a fistfight or a gun to a knife fight is fair. Biting is fair, getting someone in a joint lock then breaking the joint is fair. Throwing sand in their face is fair, using pepper spray is fair, siccing a trained attack dog on them is fair, hitting them with a car is fair, and having your friends kick them in the face while you're grappling them is fair.

Just saying.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 05:06:27 PM
The fight game has always been to an extent about showmanship for some fighters.  There is a line for me tho, showmanship or pure smurf.  I was a fan of MMA for a long time as well a boxing.  I haven't watched either at all.  I'm not sure why actually  :think:.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 08:14:41 PM

I’m embarrassed to be Irish now, thanks to that guy.  :facepalm:

yup, 500 days of not fighting and being obsessed with Gucci pjs is not a way to win people over

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 11:34:58 PM
I deeply disliked McGregor. He seems like a terrible human being.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 02:32:11 AM
Yeah, he's a real smurfhole but he could be worse.... he could be Mayweather.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 05:01:28 AM
I found a video which shows some of the fight I saw the other night.

Jedrzejczyk vs. Penne, UFC Fight Night 69. The clips show probably ALL of the kicks thrown in the fight, because there were almost none. And the losing fighter (Penne, I guess?) just left her face open through so much of the fight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuwSvZK52M

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 06:30:03 AM
I feel the same way when people post or talk about their church or Sunday carry. Pictures of bibles guns and knives all together etc, so strange...
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 06:33:06 AM
Yeah, he's a real smurfhole but he could be worse.... he could be Mayweather.   :facepalm:

Def
Sooo true.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 07:57:37 AM
I found a video which shows some of the fight I saw the other night.

Jedrzejczyk vs. Penne, UFC Fight Night 69. The clips show probably ALL of the kicks thrown in the fight, because there were almost none. And the losing fighter (Penne, I guess?) just left her face open through so much of the fight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuwSvZK52M

The art of blocking hits with your face is a time honored technique. not a smart one or an efficient one, but still a time honored one

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%