Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife laws getting more intense in UK?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Knife laws getting more intense in UK?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 03:42:50 PM
Nanny state here we come  :rant: :ahhh :ahhh
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:44:28 PM
 :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:55:43 PM
[deleted a bunch of stuff that probably shouldn't be on here]

Yes, things are probably going to get more restrictive.  Rules on locking and one-hand opening knives are likely to be tightened along with new stop and search policies and criminalising knives that are currently held legally.  The UK Border Force are already seizing flippers on their way into the country as flick knives even though they're perfectly legal to own, carry and use.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 04:18:22 PM
Saying there is never a reason to carry a knife is a completely ridiculous statement.
I'm the milk man!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 04:26:31 PM
Reading the mayor's statement, one would think it is forbidden to carry a knife at all.
It's been a while since I last heard about it, but I thought the law was, you're allowed to carry a knife that does not lock and have a blade 2.5" or shorter.
Is a new bill being discussed?

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 04:41:37 PM
Saying there is never a reason to carry a knife is a completely ridiculous statement.

I agree with you captain spaulding!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 04:42:48 PM
Current rules are that they must be non-locking and less than 3" unless you have good reason.  That won't change.  But the government are proposing to restrict sales and redefine flick knives (which are currently illegal to own) to include one-hand openers (flippers, maybe thumbstuds, etc.).

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/offensive-and-dangerous-weapons-new-legislation
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/651830/Offensive_and_Dangerous_Weapons-Consultation-.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/651760/IA_knives.pdf

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 04:53:54 PM
I posted this a few days ago too.

I understand that he is a very unusual/controversial figure, not being a typical white anglo saxon protestant as many would expect the mayor of London to be.

His statement is not legally binding, but it does carry a lot of weight. After all he is the leader of Londoners, an elected politician leader, and his opinion represents the views of the voters that elected him.  Maybe this is what the majority wants and we just can not see it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 05:37:27 PM
A tragic and simple-minded response to a tragic event. Sorry, UK'ers! (We're probably not far behind.)  :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 06:11:41 PM
It's the easy way. Blame it on the tools. Like I said some time ago, if someone gets killed with a 2x4, wood will be prohibited... It will be easy to recognize terrorists, they have trees in their gardens!

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 06:55:49 PM
Current rules are that they must be non-locking and less than 3" unless you have good reasonThat won't change.  But the government are proposing to restrict sales and redefine flick knives (which are currently illegal to own) to include one-hand openers (flippers, maybe thumbstuds, etc.).

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/offensive-and-dangerous-weapons-new-legislation
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/651830/Offensive_and_Dangerous_Weapons-Consultation-.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/651760/IA_knives.pdf

Good reason is a very vague and scary term, when someone with a different view point is deciding your fate.
That won't change for now. One step at a time, that's how it works.
There is no maybe, new definitions will be broad, and allow authorities room to interpret new designs.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 07:05:07 PM
Dramatic background music intensifies
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 07:06:19 PM
This is a subject that needs to be discussed freely.
It is impossible to discuss this subject with out being political in some way.
So I'll just pull quotes out of the links provided in an earlier post.
Good luck to all those soon to be affected by this.

1. targeted stop and searches.
Targeting habitual knife carriers. (Once you get caught with a legal for now SAK You'll be targeted every time you are seen out in public.) “After all “No excuses: There is never a reason to carry a knife.”
Weapon sweeps.
2. We  want  to  create  a  new  offence  aimed  at  the  possession  of  such  offensive  weapons, 
whether  in  public  or  private.
3. Owners  of  the  offensive  weapons  falling  under  the legislation  will  need  to  surrender  their weapons or  justify  that  a  relevant  defence  applies  if  charged  with  possession  of  an  offensive weapon. (I'm  betting there will be no justification) It's not a tool it's a weapon.
“For example we would not wish to criminalize a display in a museum. However, subject to these exceptions, we see no case for such dangerous weapons to be in someone’s home and possession. Even if the owner of the weapon in question has no intention at all of using it, there is a risk that they may be targeted by criminals intending to steal it.”
 :assimilate: 
4. Zombie knives ? (That will cover any thing not mentioned in the following.)
5. Updating the definition of a flick knife. (You better get busy tightening those pivots.)
6. Similarly the Government is of the view that the current legislative definition of flick knives in the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 is outdated as it refers to the mechanism that activates the blade being in the handle. We propose to amend the definition to ensure that new designs also fall under the definition of flick knife in the legislation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:08:53 PM by Dean51 »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 07:14:26 PM
I find it quite ridiculous that he's mentioning (and targeting) pocketknives when the London attacks were carried out with ceramic kitchen knives. 

I don't like to make statements, but I believe this gentleman stands for the terrorists more than his constituents.

When I look at weapons laws, the reason I think that they try that first, instead of going after the real problems such as gangs, terrorism, and mental illness is that they think the civil rights of those people are more important than the safety of everyone else, so they go after weapons, despite the fact it does almost nothing to those who want to kill or harm innocent people (who are going to use whatever they can get there hands on, not just guns or knives), and instead just ends up getting innocent people in trouble over nothing.  I remember there was an article some time back in where a man in Australia got five years for simply owning a slingshot, and a man in England who got arrested for simply having a Vic 111mm in his car to cut food for his disabled wife.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:26:14 PM by cody6268 »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 07:18:56 PM
a bit OT, but a few hours ago two men fought with a large knife and a machete on the streets of my city, on a not-so-good neighborhood known for its troublesome inhabitants.  :facepalm:
It was recorded on video, and one of them (the big recurve machete) was indeed a Zombie machete!  :rofl:
I had a few of those back then when I didn't know anything about knives, they are 440 steel and had all the green, zombie and blood stains all over them

so zombie knives can be a problem!  :ahhh  though the real problem here was the mentally unstable man wielding it, all was over some drug deal that went wrong...one ended up in the hospital :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 07:33:49 PM
"...For example we would not wish to criminalize a display in a museum. However, subject to these exceptions, we see no case for such dangerous weapons to be in someone’s home and possession. Even if the owner of the weapon in question has no intention at all of using it..."

Um, thank the Lord for the 4th amendment. Which I realize does not apply on the UK. Sorry fellas. I hope none of this comes to fruition .

I stated in another thread and others have states here, it's a shame they are doing the easy thing and vilifying the law abiding folks.

Not to overly politicize this but it's the same rational people use here for firearms. No doubt they will trickle down to knives. And when firearms and knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have firearms and knives. And the people will be left to be slaughtered because the police just can't be everywhere. And when they are everywhere, it's a police state.

God forbid the bad be punished.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 08:36:55 PM
I drew my Espada on three scumbags last night. :whistle:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 09:43:58 PM
Did you ask them for i.d certifying their “scumbag” status first?  :whistle:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 09:46:10 PM
Their action reflects that clearly.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 10:02:10 PM
Their action reflects that clearly.
Surely not, everything with legal significance nowadays requires i.d and paperwork done in triplicate....  :facepalm:

In any case,  :drink: :salute:

All hail the hook!

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 10:24:23 PM
a bit OT, but a few hours ago two men fought with a large knife and a machete on the streets of my city, on a not-so-good neighborhood known for its troublesome inhabitants.  :facepalm:
It was recorded on video, and one of them (the big recurve machete) was indeed a Zombie machete!  :rofl:
I had a few of those back then when I didn't know anything about knives, they are 440 steel and had all the green, zombie and blood stains all over them

so zombie knives can be a problem!  :ahhh  though the real problem here was the mentally unstable man wielding it, all was over some drug deal that went wrong...one ended up in the hospital :P

I saw that on the news today. Crazy stuff.
Outlawing zombie knives is not the solution though.
What if there is a zombie outbreak?
Butter knives are not going to work well to save your life.

IMHO, They should increase the punishment for the misuse of knives in crime instead of outlawing knives.
If the regular sentence for a robbery is X, the sentence for robbery with a knife is X times 3.
If the regular sentence for murder is X, the sentence for murder with a knife is x times 5.
Crime will always exist, but the risk for committing crime using a knife should outweigh the risk for crime not using a knife.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 10:28:19 PM
Just enforce the smurfing laws we already have with a sensible number of properly trained, motivated police and a justice system setup to both deter and rehabilitate.  It's not smurfing rocket science, but the money grabbing shower of smurf we currently have in control of this country can't see past the end of their pudgy snouts.  smurfs.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 10:29:46 PM
Just enforce the smurfing laws we already have with a sensible number of properly trained, motivated police and a justice system setup to both deter and rehabilitate.  It's not smurfing rocket science, but the moey grabbing shower of smurf we currently have in control of this country can't see past the end of their pudgy snouts.
:tu:
It sounds like you guys don’t need extra laws on top of the ones that you already have, just need to fix the rest of the accompanying system. :think:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:30:47 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 10:29:57 PM
I really do wish sometimes that we didn't have a smurfing swear filter.   ::) >:(

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 10:32:26 PM
I really do wish sometimes that we didn't have a smurfing swear filter.   ::) >:(

Well, El Peacent taught us about the creative use of "Chorizo" this morning. As in, why are all politicians such chorizo-heads?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 10:34:24 PM
Ah, but chorizo is too delicious to be used as an insult.  Dammit Nix, I want some spicy sausage now. :twak:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 10:35:47 PM
Chorizo is darned tasty......

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 10:36:57 PM
... fix the rest of the accompanying system. :think:

Exactly.  Stop all this austerity smurf, stop lining their own pockets while the country's public service disappear down the toilet, stop stealing money from the poor and stop creating class and racial divisions in our society.  smurfing cockwombles.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 10:37:42 PM
Chorizo is darned tasty......
You’re preaching to the choir!  :D :tu:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86