Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerPint

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
PowerPint
on: April 12, 2018, 06:13:56 PM
I don't have my hands on one of these yet, but this model seems to have generated a fair amount of interest.

I figured I'd start the dedicated conversation about this tool. Post away about speculation, experience with the tool, etc.

So, here's SOG's marketing video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fan5NwQp04

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Re: PowerPint
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:29:06 PM
Looks very intersting indeed, I first heard about it yesterday and liked it instantly. Looks to be very compact but very capable and also much more pocketable than a "fat" Juice (my XE6 never sees pocket time because of its bulk and form factor). I'll be very interested about the reviews, when people will get their hands on the tool and comment on build quality and all the other stuff. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:30:55 PM by Exeter »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:53:39 PM
did they release a price yet?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:21 PM
About $55 with shipping is the best price I can find, and when i e-mailed the place that has it listed for that, asking if it was actually in stock, the reply was 'backordered, will be here in a few weeks'.

ca Offline Walley

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:45 AM
I found it for $39.95 if you pre order. they say the reg. price is $54
not available anywhere yet as far as I can tell.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:54:52 AM
Yeah. I got a Pint pre-ordered. As well as an Access Deluxe. SOG must be having serious QC issues to have not released them yet. A few Access Deluxes have been released, but not many. :facepalm:

I am looking forward to both tools, but have since lost my excitement.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:18:20 AM
Promising model. I love the light weight! And I find it very important, that the PowerPint has a bit-driver for replaceable screw-bits. Because especially Phlips screw-drivers can wear off easily, and are not easy to repair on the job, or in the field.

And for loosening tight Philips-screws, you need a screw-bit, that fits very well. Or else the Philips-profile in the screw can wear out, which can be very problematic to solve on the go.

If you carry a set of eight bits in the multitool-pouch, four sizes Philps, and four sizes flat-heads, you have a dedicated screw-capacity. And if you want to carry light-weight on some trip or mission, you can reduce that number of bits to carry. 

More preferences: the two knife-blades could be replaced by one combo-blade (that is serrated near the pivot), plus a built-in wood-saw, for survival and disaster situations, large accidents, etc.

The bottle- and can-opener can be combined in one item.

I definitely miss a lanyard-hole, to prevent loss of the multi-tool in turbulent circumstances.

I also miss a replaceable wire-cutter with a few spare-parts in the purchase, plus a separate two inch bit-extender, to reach in narrow spaces.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:26:23 AM by Rico-2 »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:40:44 AM
That's a sweet size niche to be in I think.  Very pocketable.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:22:26 AM
Wonder why SOG didn’t inlcude the wood saw and just have a combo edge blade... But the Powerpint definitely got my attention...

Just googling Powerpint didn’t help either as I get results for Powerpoint... Hopefully SOG marketing needs to ramp up exposure?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 05:01:04 AM
4.2 oz, and 3" long. It definitely looks nice. I might buy another SOG after all. Who knew. I'll wait for the reviews and hope that the price drops from $55.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 05:39:56 AM

Okay, I couldn't resist that price, I just preordered one. At that price it came out $62 with shipping to me. I really hope that the tool will be as nice as it looks and not something disappointing.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 09:50:57 AM
That thing is the firs multitool that I want in a long time. But why two knife blades?! I would like a saw instead...  :(

Ps: What I would like even more would be a LM mini clone with the SOG leverage mechanism (what is that thing called?  :D) with scissors and maybe a diamond file.  ::)
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:19:59 AM
Just googling Powerpint didn’t help either as I get results for Powerpoint... Hopefully SOG marketing needs to ramp up exposure?
You can Google like this: "sog powerpint". IMO the most important factors for success are, that multitool manufacturers learn from forums like this, what needs and wishes different groups of buyers have. Like campers, preppers, bikers, engineers, and police-officers.

And they should have a beta-version tested, by a panel of at least thirty experienced and critical consumers for a year, in the user-groups that are targeted, before they release the new model on the market. For example police-officers, backpackers, etc.

It backfires, if a manufacturer develops a multi-tool with specifications, that are not in demand, or with quality-problems, even with very expensive marketing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:21:48 AM by Rico-2 »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
PowerPint
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 06:17:09 PM
Goes without saying, production quality should be a top priority...if I google PowerAccess, the first hit will bringout the link to SOG Knives site... And I don’t think this would entail expensive marketing...

Just out of curiosity, what tools would a law enforcer/police officer need? Used for emergency situations?

Am I correct to assume your a police officer? :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:21:52 PM by jaya_man »

us Offline gregpost

Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 07:44:31 PM
Where are SOG multitools made/assembled these days?

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 07:52:51 PM
Where are SOG multitools made/assembled these days?

I'm not sure in general, but the PowerPint is made in China according to SOG's website - I assume most of their other models too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:54:06 PM by Exeter »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 05:45:28 AM
I feel a need to point something out.

This thing weighs pretty much dead even to what a Leatherman Juice S2 weighs.

The Juice is not exactly a 'robust' tool. People need to keep this in mind, and we need to go into this with reasonable expectations. I have some serious concerns about how capable the pliers will be. Although, I seem to recall the Crossgrip is pretty capable, so... maybe it'll be fine.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 12:09:47 PM
I feel a need to point something out.

This thing weighs pretty much dead even to what a Leatherman Juice S2 weighs.

The Juice is not exactly a 'robust' tool. People need to keep this in mind, and we need to go into this with reasonable expectations. I have some serious concerns about how capable the pliers will be. Although, I seem to recall the Crossgrip is pretty capable, so... maybe it'll be fine.

maybe comparable to the Reactor/Skeletool... :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 04:02:05 PM

Okay, I couldn't resist that price, I just preordered one. At that price it came out $62 with shipping to me. I really hope that the tool will be as nice as it looks and not something disappointing.

Looks like I'm smurfed pretty well. The vendor I preordered the PowerPint from (Fishbone Knives, VA), yesterday just refunded my order on PayPal without explanation.  ???When I messaged them asking for reasons, their customer service replied with a "we apologize but cannot ship this item due to restrictions". I told them in my reply that I do not know of any restrictions about shipping knives and/or MT's to Hungary and I have received several items of that kind before from the US and asked them to carry on fulilling the order, but got no answer.

So now no PowerPint for me, at least not at the preorder 39 bucks. I'm disappointed and angry. Had they let me know in time that they won't ship here, I could have ordered it from somewhere else, but no, they took the order and tell me this now, three weeks later and only after me asking why they canceled it.  :rant: I got my 62 bucks back, but that's not enough for a PowerPint now (with shipping). Grrr. I wanted that tool so bad.  :(

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 04:26:39 PM
One of my dream tools... Waiting eagerly for your evaluation  :popcorn: :popcorn:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 04:43:42 PM

Looks like I'm smurfed pretty well. The vendor I preordered the PowerPint from (Fishbone Knives, VA), yesterday just refunded my order on PayPal without explanation.  ???When I messaged them asking for reasons, their customer service replied with a "we apologize but cannot ship this item due to restrictions". I told them in my reply that I do not know of any restrictions about shipping knives and/or MT's to Hungary and I have received several items of that kind before from the US and asked them to carry on fulilling the order, but got no answer.

So now no PowerPint for me, at least not at the preorder 39 bucks. I'm disappointed and angry. Had they let me know in time that they won't ship here, I could have ordered it from somewhere else, but no, they took the order and tell me this now, three weeks later and only after me asking why they canceled it.  :rant: I got my 62 bucks back, but that's not enough for a PowerPint now (with shipping). Grrr. I wanted that tool so bad.  :(

That happened to me as well on from a ebay seller. And the listing was up on months ago. They only refund after I sent multiple message to them. Idiot sellers. Why list items that they cannot fulfill.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 07:01:03 PM
Knife Center shipped my Pint out yesterday. Should be here next week. Will post about it as soon as it arrives. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 07:18:49 PM
Knife Center shipped my Pint out yesterday. Should be here next week. Will post about it as soon as it arrives. :tu:

So that makes it very likely that Fishbone Knives had mine as well, and called the deal off right before shipping. So close, yet they "took it from me". I'm furious.   :rant:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 08:02:16 PM
Ah.. The long awaited tool is finally in stock eh..

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 08:04:25 PM
Knife Center sent me the tracking should be in my hands Monday.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 09:00:46 PM
I hope they release some black versions in the future.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 05, 2018, 10:02:04 PM
I just checked and to my surprise Knife Center still had the PowerPint on preorder price, so they got my money and Fishbone Knives can smurf it. I am a future PP owner again. And now I'll shut up.  :)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 05:58:08 PM
What is the best/cheapest option for purchasing from the UK?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:53 PM
Knife Center sent me the tracking should be in my hands Monday.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:like: I did an order as well yesterday night. I find it weird that the official SOG website does not have this in stock yet...

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 08:01:01 PM
What is the best/cheapest option for purchasing from the UK?

I don't know about any other vendors, but Knife Center asked $24 and change for shipping to Hungary, I guess it would be the same to the UK as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%