Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Used Gerber Suspension (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Used Gerber Suspension (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
on: April 12, 2018, 07:20:24 PM
This tool review is part of a challenge, to find the best tool I could for $15, with tax and shipping included. The main thread to the challenge can be found here...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76694.0.html

This tool was purchased as part of a lot, together with the previously reviewed Leatherman Rev, for a total of $25. This means I paid $12.50 for this tool.

As received, the tool seems almost new, aside from a bit of rust on the saw. And after a vigorous scrub, even most of that disappeared (What's in the photo below is pre-scrub).

The tool is constructed mostly of stainless steel. The scales may be of some other material (Aluminum, i suspect), and there are hard rubber inserts on the handles.

It weighs 259g, (9.15oz), and is about 48mm (3 7/8") long.

The tool features sprung pliers, with anvil-style wire cutters, and all outside access, locking tools. It comes with a rigid nylon belt sheath.

Gerber announced at SHOT Show this year that they were updating the Suspension. So it has, to some degree, proven its longevity.

On a personal note, this is a tool I have been interested in getting for some time. It seems to be the model upon which a great number of cheaper knockoffs are based, and i really wanted to know how good the 'real deal' version was. So let's find out, shall we?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Re: Used Gerber Suspension (Lynn's $15 MT Challenge)
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 07:27:34 PM
It's not a looker is it.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:48:35 PM
The springs that keep the pliers open and closed are made of a casted material.
It breaks easily on impact.
Just like the pivot tubes.

Just a warning.
Trust me, I learned the hard way.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:02:52 PM
So, let's start with the pliers.

As mentioned above, the tool has sprung pliers, and anvil style wire cutters.

The force on the spring is very light, enough to open the tool, and not much more. There is a very tiny amount of play in the pivot. The needlenose tip comes together with good accuracy, only affected by that tiny amount of play in the pivot.  The handle splay is... bad. Before opening the jaws to fit anything in the pliers, the handles are already spread pretty significantly. This will make this tool absolutely terrible for people with small hands. I have medium hands and on larger bolts I had serious issues.

In addition to the handle splay problem, the tool is thick, and does not taper at the front by the plier head. This causes two issues. First, it makes it difficult to grab objects that are flush to a surface, and second, the pin connecting the plier head has to be longer, which makes it weaker. This long-pin issue came up while testing the Les Stroud Engage, bending the pin under high force.

So, how does it actually perform?

I had not problem getting a good grip on the self tapping screws in my basement's ductwork

There was a little bit of an issue, trying to grab the 3/8" bolt holding my storage shelves together. I tried to get an angle on the picture to show how much I had to tilt the pliers to both get a hold of the bolt AND stay clear of hitting the metal post.

At least the taper of the needlenose pliers made it somewhat easier to get the right angle on this.

And the last of these bolt tests... the handle splay is intollerable on the 1/2" nut holding my basement stair treads together.

It worked, but I couldn't get any great amount of grip on the tool with that much splay.

And the wire cutters?

These actually worked surprisingly well. They cut the heavy coathanger pretty easily. They also cleanly cut the stranded wire from an old pair of earphones. I do need to caveat that, though. There was like a nylon thread material in with the stranded wire, and it took two nips to cut that cleanly. Still, amazingly good, in my opinion.

After doing the wire cutting, I then used the needlenose pliers to bend a tight loop in solid 12-gauge copper wire, which it did easily and well. I thin bent the coathanger, and there was a LOT of flex in the tips while trying to bend it. I had to reposition the wire to be nose-on to finish the bend. Still ,it did it.

Ergonomics of the tool were good, with the exception of handle splay. It was comfortable in hand regardless of how much grip force I applied. The only pieces of rubber on the tool are where the heel of your hand (and fingers on opposite handle) rests when using the pliers. This gives a slight amount of cushion and traction in a key spot.

Taken altogether, everything about these pliers make me feel that they're quite good for LIGHT DUTY, and not a lot more. They're a well-formed plier head, with a surprisingly good anvil wire cutter, but wide handle splay kills it for larger tasks, and the thin needlenose make it bad for heavy wire bending.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:04:41 PM

If you explain to me what you mean by 'on impact', meaning what kind of impact (dropping? Striking from the side?), I'll do an impact test on it at the end of the rest of the testing to see if I can replicate the issue.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:47 PM
It's not a looker is it.

'Eye of the beholder' and all that... but... no. Not in my opinion. :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 08:23:50 PM

If you explain to me what you mean by 'on impact', meaning what kind of impact (dropping? Striking from the side?), I'll do an impact test on it at the end of the rest of the testing to see if I can replicate the issue.
I dropped it from my hands during work.
2 times actualy.

1 - concrete floor, dropped from hand while standing and keeping the tool in front of me.
Pivot barrel broke in half.
Repaired it myself by using a small stainless bolt.

2 - Dropped in the same way.
Pliers might have been open.
Not sure.
The spring holding the pliers closed/open broke off on 1 side.

Strange thing is that I only dropped 1 other tool so far. My Swisstool X.
This happened a few weeks ago and left some damage... on my floor :facepalm:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:38:47 PM
Blades

The blades are both one-hand opening and locking. One is a plain edge wharncliff, the other is a serrated sheepsfoot. Opening and closing either one handed (assuming you're right handed) was not difficult. The locking tabs have good jimping for grip.

One problem with both is that they are relatively short, with actual cutting edges of 48mm (1 7/8").

Ergonomics under heavy force was pretty terrible. The stud for one-hand opening of whichever blade you're not using digs into your hand while using the other blade. The size of the tool makes it uncomfortable even without that.

As received, it seemed that neither blade had ever been used. I could see factory edge grind marks on both blades under magnification. And as received, the plain edge would cut notebook paper fairly cleanly, but nothing finer. I gave it 20 strokes per side on ceramic rods, and it would then cleanly cut phonebook paper.

I then gave it 10 passes through corrugated cardboard across the corrugations.

It worked. I don't know if I could go a lot further with praise. The blade seemed to work about middle of the pack for this kind of cutting task, but the ergonomics were pretty bad.

After the cardboard, I took it back to paper cutting to test edge retention.

It still cut phonebook paper cleanly along the entire length of its blade.

I gave the serrated blade a shot at 550 paracord and the seam portion of an old pair of jeans.

It cut the 550 without much effort, but took a good bit of force to pull through the denim. Ergonomics, as with the plain edge, were bad under heavy force.

And as always, I'm a bit at a loss as to how to test serrated blades, and I'm always up for suggestions that might differentiate levels of quality among them.

The blades are there, and came sharp. They are easily accessible, and lock. Just like with the pliers, though, I think these are mostly relegated to light duty.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:40:20 PM
I dropped it from my hands during work.
2 times actualy.

I'll do a drop test on the tool when I've finished testing the rest of its functions.  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 08:57:53 PM
Sure you want to risk $12.50? :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:15 PM
On to drivers. The tool has three, two flatheads, and a 'flat' phillips.

The larger of the flatheads is well sized for such tasks as the scerws in the faceplate of lightswitches.

It also handled the heavier screws in my door hinges without issue.

And this convinced me to give it the 'crusty paint can pry test'.

It handled that test quite well. Also, the plier-end of the tool when closed makes a pretty good impact tool to reseal the paint can.

Seeing how it did in the pry test, I skipped the phillips right to the woodscrews in my porch bench.

It did surprisingly well here. It kind of feels like this tool's screwdrivers are built to a stronger standard than the other tools tested so far.

The tool has another smaller flathead screwdriver, but i can't find smallish flathead screws to test it on, so...  :think:

Screwdrivers: PASS
Flathead as light pry tool: PASS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 09:06:25 PM
Sure you want to risk $12.50? :D

Man... I dunno... That's a pretty big gamble.  :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 09:15:15 PM
The ... (sigh)... saw.

:facepalm:

Fail.

Sweet merciful (fill in being of your choice), this thing is awful.

Hey, remember how I said the blades suffered from being kind of stumpy? Yeah. The saw has that same problem, but OH BOY... that's not where it stops. The teeth are shallow, making them easy to clog with what you're cutting. And I'm not talking green stuff. This was AGED ASH.

Oh... hey... remember how I said the ergos on the blades were bad, because whatever blade you're using, the OTHER blade's thumbstud were digging into your hand? Well, GOOD NEWS! When you use the saw BOTH thumbstuds are causing issues.

This saw is the perfect storm of crap.

After ten or so minutes of trying, I stopped halfway through a 1 inch ash branch. I think I could GNAW through this branch faster.

FAIL!!!!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:16:28 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 09:34:18 PM
Here's how the scissors tested on this tool.

Pass with distinction: Paper, PETE, T-Shirt, Suede, 550 Paracord, Khakis +12
Pass: Non-corrugated Cardboard +1
Barely Adequate: none
Fail: Heavy Plastic, Corrugated Cardboard -2

Total +11

These are absolutely FANTASTIC at cutting all light and soft materials. They will 'push cut' suede. I've never seen that before. That's amazing.

The downside to them is the ergonomics are terrible, and trying to cut heavier material like corrugated cardboard or heavy plastic is... well, 'uncomfortable' isn't quite accurate.

Still, where they failed was at the upper limit of scissors where using a blade is probably more reasonable anyway. The scissors are fantastic for most tasks you'd ever reasonably ask of scissors.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 10:13:15 PM
DROP TEST!!!!

I dropped the tool multiple times from shoulder height onto concrete.

I dropped it twice on each end with pliers closed. No damage.

I dropped it twice flat along its side. No damage.

I dropped it twice onto the needlenose pliers in open position and... Sorry. No damage.  :shrug:

Mechanickal, sorry to say I couldn't replicate your issue. I don't know if they redesigned it after yours was made, or if you got an unlucky build, or I got a lucky one, but for whatever reason, nothing worth even taking a pic of happened from my drop test. The only thing that happened was on pretty much every drop, the combo tool would pop open out of the handles.

Sorry all that this wasn't more dramatic. I guess they can't all be 'Whoa... brutal!'
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:14:26 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 10:32:16 PM
Carry options and closing thoughts.

Nestled next to the scissors is a lanyard loop, giving you an option for a lanyard.

Unlike a fair number of other full size tools, this thing is not really in the realm of pocket carry. However, it does come with a pretty decent nylon sheath, set up for either vertical or horizontal belt carry. The hook and loop area on the sheath is not huge, and would probably wear out over time. I tried this tool at the 8-oclock carry position on my belt (equivalent to 4 o-clock for right-handed users), and found it quite comfortable.

It's not exactly a light tool. It's half an ounce heavier than a Leatherman Wave, and a LOT bulkier.

It is close in weight and bulk to the 'Mossy Oak' MT that was reviewed for the $10 Challenge. They are, in fact, VERY similar in construction. However, it's obvious from testing that the Suspension is made from much better metal.

The tool has tolerable pliers. It has GOOD drivers, and minus the saw, everything at least functions. The locking tools make it a pretty safe tool. This is not a bad tool. It's just not a hard-use tool. I don't want to denigrate it by slapping a label on it like 'Mommy's First Multitool', but... kind of, yeah, that's what it is. It's a reasonably priced MT with a fairly good number of functions, that light-duty users are going to mostly be happy with.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 10:32:46 PM
I apparently accidentally put this in the wrong thread previously...

The combo tool...

Can this thing open cans?

Yes. It's not great at it. The can opener wandered, had some issues punching through the can occasionally, and skipped the rim twice, but works, given patience.

Can it pull caps from bottles?

Yes, and it did it pretty well, too.

PASS on both, but hope you don't get stuck with this thing as your only way to open cans if you're in a zombie apocalypse.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 10:44:44 PM
Great outcome on the drop test! :tu:

At least I know why others still like it as a cheap entry level multi.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
Great outcome on the drop test! :tu:

At least I know why others still like it as a cheap entry level multi.

:hatsoff:

I would expect ANY tool to be able to withstand this kind of test, and it's good that you lead me to it. I probably ought to add it to the normal battery of tests I do. There are just some tools that seem like doing this test to them is just going to damage the concrete. :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 04:21:08 AM
I guess I forgot to answer the question... Is it worth the $12.50 I spent on it?

Yes. Absolutely. However, I don't know if I'd be as thrilled if I was paying retail price.

The NEXT question I guess would be...  Is the Suspension worth the extra cost over the 'Mossy Oak' tool from the $10 Challenge (review of that tool linked below).
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75838.0.html

That's a good bit tougher to answer. For the $2.50 extra I paid for the Suspension, I'd take the Suspension. At full retail... Wow... The Suspension new is $25+, where the Mossy Oak is $10. I think the quality of material in the Suspension is better, but neither of them are really hard-use tools. I honestly don't think, at retail price, that I'd take the Suspension over the Mossy Oak.

I'm comparing the Suspension to the Mossy Oak because they are of the same general design, and generally same functions. You lose the scissors with the Mossy Oak, and gain a file.

I went into testing this thing with actually pretty high hopes. As I got to know the tool, my hopes... cooled. I won't say they faded away. Just cooled. I stand by the notion that this is a good light-duty tool, and very reasonable for someone with only light-duty needs.

Comparisons between the Suspension and Rev should probably be left to the main thread of the $15 challenge, linked here again for your easy viewing.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,76694.0.html

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 04:32:20 AM
Very nice write-up and testing, Lynn! Thank you for that!
I have never carried the Suspension, but can see why it is so popular. I would take the suspension over the mossy oak though, because of Gerber's warranty. But, that is the only big reason. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:26 AM
 :hatsoff:

I think, if I started really pushing the Mossy Oak and Suspension that pretty quickly the better metal of the suspension would start to show as a big factor. I managed an easy permanent bend in the large flathead on the Mossy Oak, that i just don't think would happen with the Suspension.

Maybe I need to go test that assumption...

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 04:44:10 AM
Gerber has fantastic screwdriver metal(tool steel) for sure. I've damaged Vic drivers, LM drivers, etc. On stuff I can use an MP600 driver on without issue. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 05:18:34 AM
Great work as awlways.  :cheers:

I have held off buying a Suspension. The handle splay was a no-no. Gerber is releasing the new Suspension and the Truss, and I am looking forward to both of them.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 12:57:25 PM
So Lynn, did you find the function of the scissor's hole?  :D

nice review of a tool that doesn't say anything to me but seems to be a success in sales and marketing for Gerber  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 04:27:11 PM
PS...Is this another version of the Suspension? :think:
Can't say if it's Army issue, or a private purchase, but reminds me of the Tough Tool issued to the Australian Army subject... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXe-jWY_3zs

min 1:53
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 05:18:04 PM
Gerber put out a number of MTs which as far as I can tell are identical to the Suspension except for the scales.

The Evo is one. The Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi Tool is another. The Resolve is another. There was one I came across that had pale blue scales that was called something else, but can't remember.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 05:23:35 PM
FLATHEAD PRY TEST, part two...

After saying yesterday that I thought the Suspension's prying ability was much greater than the Mossy Oak's, I tested it.

The flathead driver did not flex, when I wedged it between two 2x10 boards and tried prying. The flathead of the driver just drove itself into the wood of the board. This thing is a BEAST at prying.

Total, TOTAL win on this pry test.

Wow.

You would have to be doing something really stupid with this tool to reach its limits.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 09:37:34 PM
Gerber put out a number of MTs which as far as I can tell are identical to the Suspension except for the scales.

The Evo is one. The Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi Tool is another. The Resolve is another. There was one I came across that had pale blue scales that was called something else, but can't remember.

Apparently also the 'Method' and 'Crux'. And in looking for these tools, I have to give special thanks to Chako, who listed them in his collection here...
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21058.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD