Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The rise and fall of LM Juice line?

ru Offline wowaboro

on: April 12, 2018, 08:16:15 PM
In recent years, the line of Juices has been constantly modified and expanded and in 2017 it has reached its maximum size - seven at the same time produced models (S2, C2, CS4, XE6, SX, B2, CS3):
Leatherman 2017 Catalog
But in the LM catalog of 2018, the Juice model line has been reduced to only two models: S2 and CS4. All other Juices (C2, XE6, SX, B2, CS3) apparently will be discontinued:
Leatherman 2018 Catalog
The end of Juices is near?  ???
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:17:39 PM by wowaboro »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: The rise and fall of LM Juice line?
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:48:53 PM
That is a bit sad but complements my experiences with it.
I've bought my XE6 at a time where I was looking for something not too big that can do it all.

And it is good enough with that. But it often feels too much like a compromise, and a bit un-finished to me. Tools have no snap, can opener and awl need rework, some tools are complicated to get out, the knife shape makes peeling and​ slicing fruits, cheese etc. needing more effort than a SAK blade...

But it has character and it feels solid and did finish all jobs I had for it (with sharpened can opener and awl).

Nowadays I carry a SAK and throw in Rebar if I think I could need pliers too.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:59:15 PM
CS4 and S2 are my favorite models. I expect I'll awlways have one or the other on hand.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:14:36 PM
Hang on to your Juice pro's
CHEERS

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:03:16 PM
In theory the Juice line should be amazing. A fully equipped MT in the proportions not much bigger than a Swiss champ. But I find it fails completely.
The pliers are truly appalling, the bit drivers, short and useless, the file might as well do made of rubber as it flexes as much.
I do have most of the old line - tho missed out on the SX version.
The new dimpled version just leave me cold as do the half juice releases.

In my view a poor show by LM
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:09:14 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:09 PM
In my view a poor show by LM

The older Juices seem better than the newer versions. Not sure why.

I think the Juice fills a role. It's not a heavy-duty multitool, for sure. But, for a day out fishing, where you might want to hike in for 5-10 miles and are cutting weight, a light tool like the Juice can be great to have along. A lot of backpackers swear by the Juice--light but capable at dinner time and for minor repairs. All multitools make some sort of compromise between weight, portability, tool sets, and functionality, the Juice more so than others.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:12:19 PM
I think the paring down of the Juice line is just an natural part of figuring out the markets for various lines.

Offline george1

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:19:52 PM
I,d take them more seriously if they had a pocket clip...

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:29:58 PM
I think the paring down of the Juice line is just an natural part of figuring out the markets for various lines.

+1.5

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:37:21 PM
Wow - Wowbaro - That's fascinating

I agree with MTMatt's assessement of it's capabilities and deficiencies
But think they might always keep those smaller models - I have an S2 and am pretty keen on it - Which is surprising given that I am such a SAKman!!

Also intersting point from Nix on the backpackers - Juice line is really good for that group of people - But that is a small market
So I agree with Lynn   ......    As I often do  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:48:48 PM
I bought several Juice models in the hopes of finding the right one for me.  Those darn flat drivers  :rant:.  Seriously the biggest issue on the tool IMO.  I tried carrying the S2 old model but for some reason I just wasn't feeling it.  Recently I've been doing some experimenting.  I put the old CS4 in my pocket for a day around the house.  I was actually pleasantly surprised what a little capable tool it is.  Not sure why now I can see this?  I am still not a fan of the flat drivers or their size but they do what they need to do.  I like the scissors a lot more than I thought I would.  The blade is also nice.   Wood saw, yes please.  Did someone saw AWL,  yep got that too. 

I'm glad I kept a few about.  Fan?  Sure, I can now see the merit of this little tool.  Its always a compromise and for the size and tool load, I'm willing to accept them.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:02 PM
I quite liked the first Juice I got, contrary to what others have said, I really liked the dedicated drivers, especially the philips, which is really what sold it to me. Unfortunately it only lasted a year before over-use of the caplifter caused it to fall apart and I had to send it in... that was it for me. The pliers used to twist something horrible too if I remember correctly. And Matt's absolutely correct about the blade, while I enjoyed its aesthetics, it was absolute garbage at slicing.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:06:42 AM by Fuzzbucket »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 11:54:14 AM
The only multitool I ever carry in my pocket, that is not on a keychain, is a Juice. Not often, but it works and mine cuts well too.

It can be carried with shorts too and gives you decent sized tool that does not bulge too much in your pocket, or pull your trousers down.

No everybody is going around wearing cargo pants and a coat all the time so it has its place.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 04:17:04 PM
I like the Juice series. They are like SAK to me. Easy to do modification, adding/removing "layers" as required. They should keep the size and give it a better material than what they are using as scales now. A full stainless frame/scale would be so nice.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 04:39:19 PM
I got an old CS4, and want an old S2. And I often imagine having a nice KF4. That's it. I do not like the new Juice design and short blade.
No surprise the half-Juice models will be discontinued. I doubt they sold well enough to justify their existence.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 11:47:45 AM
I can't say I will miss those Juice models :whistle: but it is good to know that they aren't completely gone as well :salute:

I will keep my Kf4's and Pro though :cheers: If they had only taken the serrated edge blade from the Kf4 and put in scissors :dd: There would have been so much win there IMO :like: :like:

Offline stugumby

Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 02:40:22 PM
Im ok with the juice series, a love hate relationship. My wish is for the cs4 to loose the saw and gain the serrated blade from the xe6. Too bad they dont have a platform tool that one can order to their own specs.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 11:04:14 PM
I have a Juice XE6, and I can say that I'm pretty satisfied with it. I can see why some consider the Juice line silly and/or useless, but I think that's more about their false expectations. When I decided to get a Juice I wanted something compact but versatile, a "pocket toolbox" for urban EDC and general, small household and desk/hobby tasks, and in that role I used it with success. I was used all the tools by now, and I have no real complaints. Obviously there will be compromises in this size category and form factor, but as Nix pointed out, that's true for any MT in some way, and taken for what it is - urban EDC, light-mid duty tool - I would strongly disagree with it being a complete failure and stuff like that.

Yeah, it's a fact that the tools are not really snappy, but I can live with that, and also the XE6 and the Pro are way too bulky for pocket carry (I carry mine in my backpack/manpurse/fannypack) and I can also see how the smaller/thinner models' tool loadout might be a bit frustrating, but again, in my eyes with the right expectations and accepting reasonable compromises, it's a great little tool. I think the biggest reason for the Juice line's "fall" is the price, that's why it did not become really popular, it's a bit too pricey new, for what you're getting quality wise compared to comparable SAK's for example.

And yeah, I sharpened the awl and the can opener too, because they were ridiculously dull, but that's really nothing, a few minutes' work, so what, it's a one time only task.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 08:06:15 PM
I have only stumbled onto the Juice line this year and thought the same as what most people have been saying here" WTF were leatherman thinking.
But then I got some and started to see the light.
I carry and actually use a C2 quite a bit when going to places that might have wine floating around.
Its not the best wine opener but does it easier than a SAK when you support it in the right place. Moving hot braai grids around, opening the odd beer with the opener.

The drivers and pliers are great for small electrical jobs around the house and office.
I carry a KF4 in my laptop bag for this, a SAK provides openers and scissors, leave the Juice to more focused work tasks.

Simplifying the range will give it some life. But why not replace the CS4 saw with the file for the ultimate little office tool?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 08:07:46 PM
today
IMG_20180415_115059.jpg
* IMG_20180415_115059.jpg (Filesize: 258.99 KB)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 02:08:35 AM
 :like:

us Offline Glockfan

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 09:56:44 AM
I used it to adjust a derailer -  The light weight alowed me to carry it.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 10:31:15 AM
I actually like the juice form factor... Haven't carried my KF4 eversince the saw backspring broke in half. Like Poncho, I wished it had scissors instead of the serrated blade.  Was planning to mod the KF4 around this idea. Just haven't gotten around to planning it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:15 AM
For me, I think the Juices were made to introduce Leatherman brand to broader audience, namely the females and those liking small cute-looking things. I have most of the Juices in old scale designs. The colors pop better with the old designs. I sold off many of the Juices, but keeping those early ones with the USA on the pliers.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 09:10:40 PM
In my HUMBLE opinion, it's a good thing. I rather have fewer models but maybe a little more versatile. Remove the saw on the CS4 and add a diamond file or serrated blade or something else useful.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 12:16:07 PM
Having an S2 in my pocket and a Rebar in my bag, I feel like I have my personal bases in my urban environment.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 12:58:58 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68