Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The rise and fall of LM Juice line?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: The rise and fall of LM Juice line?
Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 01:56:46 PM
Nice one powernoodle !  :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 02:08:12 PM
Nice one powernoodle !  :like: :tu:

What Steve said :like: :like:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 02:16:24 PM
 :2tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 03:35:29 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
Wow

-

Correction on my previous post:

Having an S2 in my pocket and a Rebar in my bag, I feel like I have my personal bases COVERED in my urban environment.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 12:18:34 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 05:50:58 AM
A Juice XE6 was my first Leatherman, supplied to me when I started a new job in 2006. I liked it a lot, used it nearly every day. I lost it and replaced it with the same, before the change in design. The one I lost ended up reappearing in my Sister's backpack as she was going through airport security for about the 4th time, but that's another story. I had damaged something in the pliers as they got a bit stuck near closing, and had twisted one og the flat drivers, making the whole bunch a nail breaker to get open. I didn't like the design of the scissors but they still worked for my needs.
I only replaced the XE6 with the Surge because my site banned slip joint / non locking blades for safety reasons. I should put the XE6 in my car glove box or bike tank bag for a just in case option rather than whatever drawer it is currently sitting in.
As a weekend or at home tool I now prefer my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X, though I'm still not that much a fan of its scissors either. Victorinox make nice scissors, shame they didn't put them on this tool

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:13 PM

I only replaced the XE6 with the Surge because my site banned slip joint / non locking blades for safety reasons. I should put the XE6 in my car glove box or bike tank bag for a just in case option rather than whatever drawer it is currently sitting in.

I had a messed XE6 too, good tool  :salute:
what surprised me it's your workplace rules.  :o  Normally one sees places banning locking blades, and most laws and prohibitions are strict with locks on edged tools. A really weird circumstance that in your job  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 07:02:43 PM
Maybe its time to unload my Juice collection ? :whistle:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 03:35:56 AM

I had a messed XE6 too, good tool  :salute:
what surprised me it's your workplace rules.  :o  Normally one sees places banning locking blades, and most laws and prohibitions are strict with locks on edged tools. A really weird circumstance that in your job  :ahhh

It was a mining / smelting / heavy industrial site. They understand that it is a tool used for a job, not a weapon

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 04:35:42 AM
That's the bizarre thing about bans on locking blades - From a safety perspective a locking blade is much safer than a slippy!!

Think about this - Which would you prefer to give to a child to execute a simple task? - A slip joint or a locking/fixed blade?

This actually happened to me:
My very young son (maybe he was 6 or 7) wanted to borrow a knife to do something or other
- I had a Wenger S16 in my pocket - So I lent it to him - Would not have done so if it did not have the security lock (not at that age!).

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 06:35:03 PM
That's the bizarre thing about bans on locking blades - From a safety perspective a locking blade is much safer than a slippy!!

Think about this - Which would you prefer to give to a child to execute a simple task? - A slip joint or a locking/fixed blade?

This actually happened to me:
My very young son (maybe he was 6 or 7) wanted to borrow a knife to do something or other
- I had a Wenger S16 in my pocket - So I lent it to him - Would not have done so if it did not have the security lock (not at that age!).

U guys are really brave. I gave mine a suspension with all the tools removed.they only need it for legos.. I dun even trust them with a butter knife...  :facepalm:

ru Offline wowaboro

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 02:11:18 AM
     Seems like they are cutting the slow movers.  I see alot of love for the ones they are keeping from those inclined to carry a juice.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 02:24:46 AM
I remember there being so many Juice models it was hard to keep up for a while. Think my go to was a S2. I don't see them as often for sale as I once did.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 02:25:10 AM
So will the discontinued models go on clearance soon? I remember when the e33 series and the gardening tools went on sale, but a few years after being discontinued.
Leatherman

us Offline Pacu

Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 02:31:24 AM
So will the discontinued models go on clearance soon? I remember when the e33 series and the gardening tools went on sale, but a few years after being discontinued.

If so I'm looking hard at XE6  :drool:
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #47 on: May 27, 2018, 07:48:16 AM
I remember first seeing the Juice models at the local Canadian Tire. This was back in the early 2000's. What drew me to them was the colourful packaging. It stood out from the rest of Leatherman's packaging at the time. This was before I started collecting Leatherman. Mind you, Canadian Tire only had them on their sales floor for a few years at most. Come 2004, the line was replaced with the Kick, Fuse, and Blast. By the time I started collecting them, I could not find them any longer locally.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 12:25:09 PM
I remember first seeing the Juice models at the local Canadian Tire. This was back in the early 2000's. What drew me to them was the colourful packaging. It stood out from the rest of Leatherman's packaging at the time. This was before I started collecting Leatherman. Mind you, Canadian Tire only had them on their sales floor for a few years at most. Come 2004, the line was replaced with the Kick, Fuse, and Blast. By the time I started collecting them, I could not find them any longer locally.

Chako, those PSTs and mini tools!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #49 on: May 27, 2018, 02:16:21 PM
There are also a few PST IIs, a Flair, a Pulse, a few Rebars and Sideclips.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fi Offline temo

Reply #50 on: May 27, 2018, 02:45:28 PM
As well juice ce6 was my first LM bought in trip to arizona. That was old purple one. Now have new model. I've been thinking smaller S2 model as xe6 is a bit bulky. Though as return it has everything. At tasks I like rebar more, much more heavy duty and not much more to carry. Still I think xe6 is great camping and picnic tool. In that area I think one of the best tools there is. But for edc a bit large and for more heavy duty tasks not enough. S2 I could see as edc. Again in here price for xe6 is much more then swiss champ which is too much. As well small sak is a lot cheaper then S2.

BTW plastic carry I did win in one of the competitions from forum

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #51 on: May 29, 2018, 02:52:50 AM
The rise and fall of the Juice....

You have to hand squeeze a lot of lemons to get a usable amount of Juice.

I agree whole heartedly with the earlier post about how the Juice should have been amazing. It really, really should have. The should have been able to go into competition with the 91 and 93mm Vics head to head- "ours has real pliers". The CS4 should have been hunting the Huntsman, and the KF4 could have been a flagship model, a mini-Supertool.

But they never could. The screwdrivers suck, either that or they are are poorly executed yet still sharp chisels. The pliers were underwhelming, and the wire cutters even more so. It was a failure to execute well. I could have forgiven it if they had done a next generation that actually improved things, instead they put in a blade that was smaller and reduced the number of tool sets that were available. In many ways, I consider the release of the Juice line to be when something started to go odd at Leatherman.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 09:00:24 AM
Never been fan of this product line. Juices just seem to too fragile and unable to do any real work to me (compared to a Wave or even a Wingman/Sidekick). And design-wise they look too retro-ish  :-[ :shrug:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 01:04:45 PM
I collect a few Juices but never carry one. They are just too pretty to carry. I see them more like multis on an office desk than inside a pocket. I like the eye-catching colors LTG had with the original designs. IMO, people like me would take the Juices more seriously if the scales were finely ribbed and non-colored. Dinged-up Juices lose their appeals fast. Also, being bitten by those small screwdrivers is not funny.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 01:07:05 PM

BTW plastic carry I did win in one of the competitions from forum (Image removed from quote.)

I love these hard plastic sheaths  :like:
My toys:

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 10:02:12 PM
Amici,
When it comes to the Juice line, it's the originals that are simply the best, compared to those later abortions that LM thrust upon us masquerading as the 'improved" Juice line. I guess they never heard of the old adage of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", since though far from perfect, there was never really anything terribly wrong with the old design that needed such a so-called, tweaking, if you could call it that.   

Since then, I always keep an eye out for the old models and scoop them up whenever possible. Especially the versions that have scissors. I won't go near the new ones.

I have to say that out of all of the models, when I do carry a Juice which is at least one day a week, if not longer, it is usually the S2 or the SC2. I feel they compliment a mid to large size folder beautifully, especially when utilized with an "o" ring and a pocket clip. As seen here, since I'm packing an Ernie as I am today.

Cheers,
Serge
LM Juice EDC.jpg.jpeg
* LM Juice EDC.jpg.jpeg (Filesize: 217.22 KB)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:05:02 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 29, 2018, 10:55:32 PM
Amici,
When it comes to the Juice line, it's the originals that are simply the best, compared to those later abortions that LM thrust upon us masquerading as the 'improved" Juice line.

Presumably the current rationalisation is happening due to a downturn in sales - And I wonder if this was caused by the new Juices ???
Or do you think the general public would not really notice that change? - Just us MT nuts notice that stuff  :think:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #57 on: June 03, 2018, 10:02:00 AM
LM need some form of Juice to attract new users, IMHO.  My guess on why the new models have only some scales in colour is so that the plain scale can be engraved, so the Juice can be given as a gift.

Juice has non-locking blades, so that opens it up to EDC in more countries than say a Wave.  But it is competing with SAKs for size.

They should ditch the corkscrew and bottle opener --- we've got screw tops for that now!   :drink:   Well, I know it's not universal for wine screw tops but I've broken apart corks using poor corkscrews before and I prefer a proper dedicated corkscrew tool.  All the EDC tools seems to add in a cap lifter, so that's almost mandatory on any tool .... so why do we like the KF4 so much ..?  Come to think about it, an S2 with only knife and scissors, and KF4 (with scissors, minus the serrated blade or saw, or even different models) would probably be enough.  The XE6 and Pro are pushing it in terms of size and width, but if you cannot carry locking blade then I could see a spot for these larger ones.

S2 is about best size for me, but I don't feel happy carrying a blade that large (  :-\ ) in public, so I EDC a Squirt.  If we (in UK) were allowed more liberal (sic !) carry options I'd take a Wave.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: June 09, 2018, 12:48:23 AM
Cost has been a big issue for the Juices.  The design/construction has too many parts, and that adds up to cost.  Also weight.
I don't know why they don't take more of a Supertool or Wave type of design.
They still fill a niche that nothing else fills.
- Steve

fi Offline temo

Reply #59 on: June 09, 2018, 12:52:34 PM
Agree with cost. In here swiss champ you can find same price as s2. Xe6 is quite much more which I see similar to swiss champ.  But again S2 is small not bulky plier based tool. Vics with pliers are alredy a bit bulky multilayer knives. So I could say S2 is slimmest plier based carry (medium excluding keychain size). And maybe biggest competition is skeletool. So it would be nice to have a bit less priced s2 style option from LM.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD