Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why aren't more tools outside accessible?

ca Offline holder228

Why aren't more tools outside accessible?
on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:05 AM
I always wondered why more MT's don't follow the Swisstool's approach and have all of the tools accessible from the outside. I wonder if it's more of a structural integrity thing or it's better for keeping grip out of the MT. Nothing against the Swisstool, but i couldn't see myself carrying it's shiny polished chrome on a job site like i do my beater wave

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Why aren't more tools outside accessible?
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 03:53:56 AM
I always wondered why more MT's don't follow the Swisstool's approach and have all of the tools accessible from the outside. I wonder if it's more of a structural integrity thing or it's better for keeping grip out of the MT. Nothing against the Swisstool, but i couldn't see myself carrying it's shiny polished chrome on a job site like i do my beater wave

Because Victorinox bought Bear and Sons to acquire the patent required to make that outside access tool.

There are only so many ways to do outside access tools, and I guess they're all patented... or terrible.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 04:47:53 AM
There are a few.
Leatherman OHT, Squirt series, Style PS and CS
Gerber Suspension, Legend 700 and 800, Flik, Strata, MP1, Crucial, Balance
Ganzo multi-tools
SOG PowerAccess, PowerPint, PowerLitre, Sync
CRKT Technician
Dewalt MT
Havalon Evolve
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:51:18 AM by ReamerPunch »

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 04:49:55 AM
Because Victorinox bought Bear and Sons to acquire the patent required to make that outside access tool.

There are only so many ways to do outside access tools, and I guess they're all patented... or terrible.

I would think that patent is expired by now as it is more than 20 years old?

Either way there are alternative ways to most ends - they might be more costly though - or patented or terrible :)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:51:48 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline gregpost

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:31:27 PM
 I think the finishing and tools on the Spirit is fantastic. It feels excellent and precise, like it's made by a nation of watchmakers, cause it is! But I think the design itself is overrated.

No OHO, some tools are harder to get out than on some multitools that clump, you needs nails for some tools vs. just using any part of your thumb or finger, sometimes you have to flip around the tool to find the correct side. I saw a dude on youtube scratch "blade" into the handle side with the knife out of precaution and frustration.

I think the Spirit is made fantastically and even at the price it sells for is worth the money because it's one of the few things in the multitool world that's worth every penny. The design fits many people's needs, especially those who carry a separate knife/folder but it's by no means close to a perfect design.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:43:05 PM by gregpost »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:33:51 PM
The Spirit is a keeper for me. I have put mine through the ringer (shiny finish and all) and it always comes back for more. The outside accessible tools sealed the deal for me. It cleans up real well for special occasions real well also.  :tu:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD