Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

John's Shameless Buck User Merit Badge Thread

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
John's Shameless Buck User Merit Badge Thread
on: April 13, 2018, 04:48:17 AM
I've had this Buck 110 for about 40 years now. Didn't know there was a Merit Badge on the forum for using one!

Decided to make a Cornish game hen for lunch. For those who don't know what one is, it's basically a small chicken, about two pounds or so dressed but not completely butchered into parts. I typically eat half the first day and the other half a day or two later.

As with any bird, it should be trussed to keep the wings from burning and the breasts from drying out while baking. I do it with cotton baking string. Using anything with man-made stuff risks the string melting in the oven which ruins the bird, and your day after going to all the work to prepare it. I don't stuff birds as getting stuffing to bake completely inside a bird typically requires over-baking the meat. Instead I put a mix of lemon juice, coarse ground black pepper, hot mustard seed, minced garlic and minced onion spread on the inside, and then spread on the outside. Of course, the Buck 110 is used to cut the string.  ;)

I bake it at 350F in a combination microwave and convection oven using a temperature probe that turns off the oven when it reaches 165F, baking it on convection only. (Doing a combo nuke+convection is faster but ruins it.) Some birds come with instructions to bake them to 180F, but that's guard-banded by their lawyers just to ensure it reaches at least 165F, which is the minimum for poultry at zero time. Lower temperatures require holding it for a while, the lower the temperature, the longer it must be held there which is how crock pots work. Going to actual 180F starts to dry out the bird. The secret is putting the probe in the right location so that it reflects the true internal temperature in the meatiest part.

After 42-45 minutes, oven shuts off and it's done! I've done this often enough before that it varies only by a few minutes.

First step is cutting the string off that was used to truss the bird

After the string is removed, the bird can be carved up. I start with the each leg and thigh together. That's how I eat them. On larger birds its easier to cut the leg and thigh apart after it's separated from the carcass. After doing it a few times, one knows where the joints are to cut through cartilage between bones.

With the legs and thighs removed, I'm down to the wings and breasts plus a couple few minor bits . . .

Similar to the legs and thighs, it's easier to remove the breast with the wing, and to separate the wing from it later. I cut down each side of the vertical cartilage on the middle of the breast bone, taking care to get the meat from under the wishbone without breaking it. When baked properly, the breast with wing will still be juicy and will separate from the rib cage and back very easily in one piece. As with separating the wing, it can be sliced up into pieces, if desired, more easily after it's removed.

It's easy to push the wishbone out of the way to get to the meat under it without damaging it.

With the legs, thighs, wings and breasts removed, there's not much left of the carcass, but were not completely done yet.

Many people don't bother with the back, but there's gold in them thar hills, and meat on that back, including to choice tender parts call the "oysters". One should leave no bird unturned in the search for more meat to eat and not let go to waste. Not as big as the other pieces but there is meat worth carving off the back, even on a bird this small.

If done correctly there's very little left to pick at, or for the local raccoons to scavenge out of the garbage can. The neck is on the right in this photo. A few tiny bits are all that remain.

Those with sharp eyes will have noticed what appeared to be paper lining the pan. It's high temperature baking parchment. Bakers use it for lining baking sheets and pans. It won't burn in the oven at normal baking temperatures. The kind I use for baking meat, fish and poultry has a foil backing making it heavier and stiffer versus just the parchment with no backing for cookies, fudge, etc. If one is take reasonable care not to puncture it with carving fork and knife, it makes cleanup very easy.

All folded up containing the carcass and ready for the garbage. Pan has some baked on stains from long ago, courtesy of a  former resident of my home. Never been able to get them completely off.

All that's left now is to carve the wing off of the breast and separate the leg and thigh from the half I'll eat today. The juices and seasoning used are poured over the half on the plate and into the container that has the other half for two days from now.

All that's left of the leg, thigh, wing, breast and back, which isn't much. I've had some SERE training and I'd get ripped good for leaving this much behind!

The other half in a container for the refrigerator to save it for day after tomorrow, with a good portion of the pan drippings saved with it.

Takes me back to when I spent time in the "Great Outdoors" years ago and relied on a knife like the Buck 110 for butchering and carving meat, fish and poultry.

Best Wishes!
John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:59:33 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: John's Shameless Buck User Merit Badge Thread
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 05:08:49 AM
Another excellent post, John.  :tu:

And that vintage 110 is fantastic!   :clap:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:11:17 AM
A great day 1 post for the challenge!!!

Can’t wait to see what’s for dinner, er I mean how the 110 will be used on future days. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 05:22:40 AM
Loopcutter, I think John is going for the "Buck User" badge.

Not that we wouldn't like to see him go for the Buck 110 30-day challenge badge, too...... ;)  :pok:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:42:15 AM
Awarded !  :cheers:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:44:46 AM
And     :drool: :drool: :drool:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:12 AM
Another excellent post, John.  :tu:

And that vintage 110 is fantastic!   :clap:
A great day 1 post for the challenge!!!

Can’t wait to see what’s for dinner, er I mean how the 110 will be used on future days. 

Not that we wouldn't like to see him go for the Buck 110 30-day challenge badge, too...... ;) :pok:
Awarded !  :cheers:
And     :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks guys . . . and Nix is correct - this is a one-time as I'm a bit consumed by some other things right now. Wouldn't be able to finish w 30 day challenge. Perhaps later in the year.

For those in the USA, those Cornish game hens are seasonal at Sam's Club from Thanksgiving through Christmas or New Year's. They come frozen, individually wrapped and bundled in packages of six at a super discount. My freezer is large enough. Bought three bundles of them (18 total) and they'll keep in my non-defrosting deep freeze until next Thanksgiving. I pull one out and bake it once or twice a month.  ;)

John

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:00:47 AM
Not that we wouldn't like to see him go for the Buck 110 30-day challenge badge, too...... ;)  :pok:
I know (now;)).  But, I was hoping for desert!!!
Those hens are so, so small!
Encore, Encore, Encore

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:02:54 PM
Great post and beautiful knife John!
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:55:28 PM
I've had this Buck 110 for about 40 years now. Didn't know there was a Merit Badge on the forum for using one!

Decided to make a Cornish game hen for lunch.

Takes me back to when I spent time in the "Great Outdoors" years ago and relied on a knife like the Buck 110 for butchering and carving meat, fish and poultry.

Best Wishes!
John

Excellent post and pics John! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thanks for sharing with us. :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 05:33:37 AM
Not that we wouldn't like to see him go for the Buck 110 30-day challenge badge, too...... ;) :pok:
I know (now;)).  But, I was hoping for desert!!!
Those hens are so, so small!
Encore, Encore, Encore

Great post and beautiful knife John!

Decided to make a Cornish game hen for lunch.

Best Wishes!
John

Excellent post and pics John! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thanks for sharing with us. :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks guys . . . I'm finishing off the bird tomorrow for lunch. I don't eat as much as I used to. One of these is good for two lunches, so I eat one half the same day and the other half a couple days later. Dessert would be boring. A couple ginger snaps and a couple frozen Girl Scout chocolate mint. Nothing dramatic about that!

John

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 12:03:19 PM
Great thread and congrats on the badge :like:

Cornish hens are just so :drool: :drool: :drool: :D and you made it look really good :drool: :drool: :drool:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 08:10:02 PM
Great thread and congrats on the badge :like:

Cornish hens are just so :drool: :drool: :drool: :D and you made it look really good :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks . . . just had the second half for lunch . . . in the uWave just long enough to warm it up to avoid more baking.

John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 02:24:26 AM
Way to go John!
Barry

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 03:35:02 AM
Way to go John!

Thanks Barry . . . I may be making another one very soon!

John

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 12:10:29 PM
That's a good looking bird, congrats on the badge  :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 12:54:15 PM
That's a good looking bird, congrats on the badge  :cheers:
Thanks Greg - there's eleven more in the deep freeze awaiting consumption! I buy a couple dozen when Sam's Club has them in the late Fall  :)

John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD