Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Extra Storage in Leatherman Bit Extender?

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Extra Storage in Leatherman Bit Extender?
on: April 13, 2018, 12:52:54 PM
I have somewhat reluctantly slimmed down my tool type edc to just a Skeletool and a small pry tool. Looks like it’s here to stay. I say reluctantly as my CS AL and Mini Tool has given me nostalgic pleasure and wonderful use, but have to admit my needs has further simplified recently and if I do need anything else have ready access to more dedicated tools or a full MT.

The Skeletool and the bit extender gets pulled out a few times per week and I was wondering if anyone has ever stored an extra bit in the bit extender, thereby carrying 3 bits vs. the 2. Seems like it would be be a great way to expand the Skeletool functionality with minimal space. I plan to make a sleeve so that it won’t be pokey in the pocket.
I have the regular Skelly but with the RX bits (Phillips #1-2 & 3/16" Screwdriver and Carbide Glass Breaker & 1/4" Screwdriver)

So many experts out there. Is it a good idea? If so my concerns would be:

1) will this eventually damage the bit or the bit extender (spring clip, etc)?

2) the current bit set up works well for me, but what would be the next best or most common flat bit to carry?

Ideally would like to carry an eyeglass screwdriver bit, but of course cannot use on a Skelly so I carry a regular one.

Thanks all for looking! Cheers!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Extra Storage in Leatherman Bit Extender?
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:03:43 PM
A mod I have seen somewhere is to cut out more of the bit storage area so you can fit two bits.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:06:22 PM
I think I saw a similar one, but they did it to accommodate the longer MUT bit. Very cool.

But yeah a bit (get it?) beyond my abilities. But thank you.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 02:37:28 PM
I'll post a vid anyway in case anyone else is interested.... I believe it was done by lictor4 although I suspect others have also done it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13eo1xr9bpA

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD