Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What was your first?

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: What was your first?
Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 10:40:15 PM
My first sak was the Swiss Champ
that I bought 23 years ago and still have and use

My first LM was the Original Supertool
that I bought 20 years ago and still have and use  :tu:

Nice pics Wspeed! :like: :tu: :tu:
Thanks VICMAN  :cheers: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:43 PM
My first SAK was an economy Spartan, purchased along with some Swiss chocolate with some left-over Swiss francs on my first trip to Switzerland. Long gone.

My first multitool was a Gerber Legend Multi-plier. A Christmas gift from my Dad, and sitting in the car tool box.

Gerber multitool on the right.

Nice pic ColoSwiss! :like: :tu: :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 12:44:02 PM
My first SAK was this Champion.

I have collected knives since I was 8 years old, but I had never seen a real Swiss Army knife until I was in my 30's, and this is the first one I saw.
I had only seen the cheap knock-offs of Swiss Army Knives before that.

We had a MacDonald's Sales Center in town..it was a store that had one of everything displayed and then you told them which items you wanted and they brought them to you from the back store room.

I saw the  Champion on display and asked to look at it and was completely in awe of the quality of it and the number of tools it had and I bought it.....that started my SAK addiction....I ended up being a Victorinox dealer for a number of years.

Click on the pictures for best picture

nice story and excellent first SAK   :like: :salute:

My first SAK was an Outrider gifted by my father on a car trip to France when I was 11 (I think)  :think:. I lost it a few years later in another road trip  :P

first MT was a cheap ST Knockoff that I had for years, and first real brand Multitool that I bought myself was a Gerber MP800, lost this last August  :-\
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 01:41:50 PM
My first SAK was a Bantam with economy scales, a Christmas gift from my wife in1986, I still have it with a broken combo tool.

First and only plier based multitool I own and still carry is an original Schrade Toughtool, it was also a Christmas gift from my wife, I want to say 1998, I do know they were a new item and the outdoor magazines were praising them, I still like it
20180415_081732-1.jpg
* 20180415_081732-1.jpg (Filesize: 142.85 KB)
20180415_081931-1.jpg
* 20180415_081931-1.jpg (Filesize: 119.47 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 02:13:37 PM
My first pocketknife was a Huntsman knock-off given to me by my father. I gave to my brother when I bought my first Leatherman and Victorinox. I got a Micra and a SwissChamp, which I still have and use.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 02:35:57 PM
Excepting knock-offs...

My first real Victorinox Swiss Army Knife was a Super Tinker I bought for myself 30 years ago. I carried that, and only that for the longest. It lasted for years. It went camping, biking, hiking, on a road trip around half the country, if I recall, it may have also accompanied me to South America, or, ithe was in my pocket doing nothing...One day in 2011, it fell from a height onto pavement and got run over before I could get to it. I tried to repair it but the scales were cracked up and the ends of the layers were crushed so I couldn't open any tools.

I got a Tinker Deluxe as a gift/ replacement. After finding MTO I took the scales completely off the Super,  and used my Leatherman screw drivers to re-open the layers. A little oil, and she was ready to carry again. Some replacement scales from Sazabi, and she was presentable again.

My first real Leatherman was a PSTII. My brother in law and I were fixing a car or a fix around the house. I went for a screwdriver and he whipped out a Leatherman. " oh, I'll just get that with my Leatherman" he says. It was bigger and stronger than my Super Tinker. I liked it but I thought it more of a mechanics tool. I eventually found a China Stainless PST knockoff and used it in my tackle box. Then some years ago picked up the PSTII and saw what the real quality w as like.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 02:37:23 PM
And since joining here, 10 months ago or so, I now have 12 varieties of each!!!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
My first pocket knife that I got when I was five, was a small blue penknife in the shape of a limousine/elongated Bentley type thing. I can still remember the moment pretty clearly - I was sitting in the garden by the back door on a warm summers day when my Mum came out and just handed it to me with a smile  - no explanation or anything. Turned out that her Father (my Grandad) gave it to her when she was little too as she was a bit of a tomboy and him being a professional soldier (15 years Pipe Major in the Cameron Highlanders) was quite proud of that as all his other daughters were into pink pretty things etc...

I bought my first SAK when I was eleven or twelve from Tommy Beatty who'd know doubt nick'd it off some unfortunate smaller than him. It was a little old Vic Classic with a chipped blade, which I quickly put serrations on with one of my dad's files. I demonstrated it's sharpness for a mate at school by carving a massive chunk out of a work bench in science class (slightly more than I Intended to) and the little smurf made such a commotion that my act of vandalism was immediately discovered and I got the belt.... little smurf. Strangely, I was allowed to keep the knife... which I promptly lost.

First multitool was an OG Wave that I bought soon after I started my first proper job after leaving Art School (yeah I know)... actually, it wasn't - it was a really nasty cheap unbranded knock-off smurfey PST type thing that I recognised as being really quite useful... which prompted me to get a proper one... which was the Wave.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:52:08 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 08:57:46 PM
My first pocket knife that I got when I was five, was a small blue penknife in the shape of a limousine/elongated Bentley type thing. I can still remember the moment pretty clearly - I was sitting in the garden by the back door on a warm summers day when my Mum came out and just handed it to me with a smile  - no explanation or anything. Turned out that her Father (my Grandad) gave it to her when she was little too as she was a bit of a tomboy and him being a professional soldier (15 years Pipe Major in the Cameron Highlanders) was quite proud of that as all his other daughters were into pink pretty things etc...

I bought my first SAK when I was eleven or twelve from Tommy Beatty who'd know doubt nick'd it off some unfortunate smaller than him. It was a little old Vic Classic with a chipped blade, which I quickly put serrations on with one of my dad's files. I demonstrated it's sharpness for a mate at school by carving a massive chunk out of a work bench in science class (slightly more than I Intended to) and the little smurf made such a commotion that my act of vandalism was immediately discovered and I got the belt.... little smurf. Strangely, I was allowed to keep the knife... which I promptly lost.

First multitool was an OG Wave that I bought soon after I started my first proper job after leaving Art School (yeah I know)... actually, it wasn't - it was a really nasty cheap unbranded knock-off smurfey PST type thing that I recognised as being really quite useful... which prompted me to get a proper one... which was the Wave.

Still have the Wave Fuzzy? Pics?  :like:

I was given an OG Wave as a gift around '98-'99, which at the time I was carrying a SwissChamp, so I regifted it.  :facepalm:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 09:04:18 PM
I got my first SAK about 30 years ago from my Dad, I guess it was a two layer Victorinox but I have no idea what model, not even if it was a 91 or a 84 mm one. I liked it for a while and did all the silly stuff a 7-8 year old boy does, cut everything I could (or couldn't), pried with it, poked everything, so it was scratched, dull, full of sand, dust, grit, and I did not truly appreciate it, lost interest after a while and it got lost or maybe I traded it for some toy or watch, I can't recall.

Then, back in the early 2000's I bought a SAK knockoff and a cheap PST style Chinese crap MT in a hardware store, both pictured below, I just dug them up. :) I got my first proper multitool a couple of years later, an LM Pulse from a relative who brought it from the US.  :multi: That one I loved very much, although I had no idea or interest in the brand or tools in general, but I still could see it was a quality piece. I had it until very recently, when I had enough of the rocker lock getting terribly loose and rattly, so I sent it in for warranty and got a Rebar in exchange.

my_first.jpg
* my_first.jpg (Filesize: 73.04 KB)
pulse_01.jpg
* pulse_01.jpg (Filesize: 41.83 KB)

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 09:13:59 PM

Still have the Wave Fuzzy? Pics?  :like:

I was given an OG Wave as a gift around '98-'99, which at the time I was carrying a SwissChamp, so I regifted it.  :facepalm:

Sadly not, some smurf snapped the blade off and the replacement (which I still have) wasn't quite as nice... and slighty squint... I still have the original pouch though - which is absolutely beautiful.

The little blue knife is still kicking about too, but up north.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #41 on: April 15, 2018, 09:19:37 PM
My first MT was a Gerber Mr. Pinchy in the late 90s.  I was in the Navy, and it was a very useful tool.   I do not have it anymore.

My first real SAK was a CyberTool 41 in Sapphire.  I do still have this one.  I got it in the early 2000s (not sure what year, but a guess would be 2005)
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #42 on: April 15, 2018, 10:38:28 PM
My first was a Champion Plus, got it from my grandfather when I turned 12 back in 91, 2yrs before that he introduced me to the world of sak, he had the same model with a leather sheath with the steel, thus the one in the pic, the other sheath was the one he gave me along with the knife, but when he passed the one thing I demanded was his sak and sheath! My sak had a broken corkscrew and I had it replaced with the one off his, then the saw I had placed on my custom alox, and the scales of his made into a little something, so no matter what a part of him is somewhere. But that first sak is retired and sits in my stand next to my side of the bed along with a bunch of others, but here’s a few pics of my first sak..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #43 on: April 15, 2018, 11:22:29 PM
I used to work next to an electrical/plumbing store and the guys at work bought me a Gerber Multi-lite for my birthday. If they had just got me a knife I don't think I'd have started this whole mess, but they thought a tool might suit me better. That proved a jumpin off point where I got my first real tool the OG Wave, then the rest is history. Helping create this place and Grant helped fuel my fascination and addiction.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 12:46:29 AM
I used to work next to an electrical/plumbing store and the guys at work bought me a Gerber Multi-lite for my birthday. If they had just got me a knife I don't think I'd have started this whole mess, but they thought a tool might suit me better. That proved a jumpin off point where I got my first real tool the OG Wave, then the rest is history. Helping create this place and Grant helped fuel my fascination and addiction.

And they call it 'an act of kindness'.......

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 12:58:57 AM

And they call it 'an act of kindness'.......
Yeah it went from symptoms to a full blown disease lmao. They have no idea what they unleashed.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 10:41:31 AM
First folding knife was a tiny little brass handled slip joint, with a blade somewhat less than 2 cm long, that I was given by a neighbour when I was 4 or 5.

First 'SAK' was a very cheap, very badly made clone, probably bought while I was in Scouts at 11 or 12.

First Victorinox was a Spartan I bought when I was working in a hardware shop when I was 14 or 15.

First multitool was a Kick/Micra combo, given to me as a wedding present in 2008 by my colleagues.

I still have all of them (except the Micra - I prefer the Style CS)

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #47 on: April 16, 2018, 11:22:10 AM
First folding knife was a tiny little brass handled slip joint, with a blade somewhat less than 2 cm long, that I was given by a neighbour when I was 4 or 5.

First 'SAK' was a very cheap, very badly made clone, probably bought while I was in Scouts at 11 or 12.

First Victorinox was a Spartan I bought when I was working in a hardware shop when I was 14 or 15.

First multitool was a Kick/Micra combo, given to me as a wedding present in 2008 by my colleagues.

I still have all of them (except the Micra - I prefer the Style CS)

You too eh? - how things have changed... (wanders off muttering)...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #48 on: April 16, 2018, 02:12:52 PM
Ah, when I were a lad ...

Offline quadrider305

Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 02:16:22 PM
My first SAK was a classic given as a promo gift from a veterinary. I still have it but have never really used it.
My first multi tool that I carried was a Gerber, tried the suspension and liked the spring loaded pliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #50 on: April 16, 2018, 03:40:54 PM
My first "real" authentic SAK was a Climber. Still have it, got some plus scales for it. If not for the Compact, this would be my EDC SAK.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 09:37:28 PM
My first SAK was this Champion.

nice story and excellent first SAK   :like: :salute:

My first SAK was an Outrider gifted by my father on a car trip to France when I was 11 (I think)  :think:. I lost it a few years later in another road trip  :P
first MT was a cheap ST Knockoff that I had for years, and first real brand Multitool that I bought myself was a Gerber MP800, lost this last August  :-\

Thanks Peacent! :cheers:

That was a cool gift for your 11th birthday! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #52 on: April 22, 2018, 01:34:24 AM
First pocketknife was a little slipjoint dual-blade knife that my dad gave me when I was three. Lost that when I was about five (still grieving that one....), and got my first SAK which was a Vic Tinker with camo scales. Got my first plier-based multitool (Gerber Mr. Pinchy) when I turned 12.  The plier jaws snapped that same year due to an over-zealous bicycle repair, and Gerber sent me a replacement pair.

Still got the Tinker and Mr. Pinchy in a box somewhere, and my little guy turns three later this year. Guess I better dig them out and polish them up for him...

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 22, 2018, 05:41:34 PM
First SAK was Christmas when I was 8 years old. Don't recall the model but I stabbed myself in the pointer finger pretty good with the blade. First LM was a Micra given to me by my mom. I think I sent it overseas in a swap a few years ago.  :think:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 09:03:06 PM
My first was a SAK of which I cannot say whether it was real Vic or not, but I know it was of a Huntsman pattern, I have a scar to prove it  :rofl:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #55 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03:51 AM
Wenger pre mag-glass Tool Chest.  Still got it 40something years on.
Photo taken before refurbishment

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 11:04:01 PM
My first was a Wenger Handyman swiss army knife. 85mm. I purchased it in 1990, when I was 12 years old. It's a 1990 model as well, going by the blade markings. I still have it, though it's in rough shape today.

Bought some scales and am going to send it off to Victorinox for repair as soon as they come in. (They don't have Wenger scales anymore apparently). Blade is chipped, and the spring for the blade and the can opener is weak. There's no snap to those tools.

Charles.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:20 AM
Great idea Def, still need to finish reading all posts here  :tu:

My first was a pocket knife given to me by my dad back in the early 80s. I did lots of whittling and got a cool scar from one of my first tries. That told me to work away from my body.  :facepalm:

I also used the scissors a lot for paper crafts, and cutting custom stickers etc.
Somehow somewhere I lost it when I was 15 or so.

3 month back it came back into my mind and I thought it would be a nice reminder of those good old times with dad if I could find that exact same model again for me.

I knew it had large and small blade, bottle and can opener and scissors. So 3 layers.
On the back was a corkscrew and an awl.
And I cannot remember it having any keyring because I pocket carried only due to it. That probably helped it sneaking out of my pocket and disappear.

Some research on SAKwiki as well as Saams website and aother helped me finding out what model to search for.

With some patience i was lucky and found one on the Bay for 14,95 $
All blades/tools look like only use twice if at all. But the scales were beyond my polishing abilities. I assume the poor guy spend it's whole life neglected in a kitchen drawer.

So here it is then after a clean, some oiling and a scale change. My very first pocket knife and tool model there​ was.

Victorinox Original Traveller from 1982:

I've added this old style mini screwdriver.
Which came out a year later in 1983.

My first Multitool was this Leatherman Supertool bought in 1995 when I was on some training at Fort Bliss El Paso TX:

Cheers, Matt.   :drink:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:25:36 AM by MTMatt »

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #58 on: May 25, 2018, 05:48:27 AM
Victorinox Fieldmaster I picked up at Menards when I was shopping for tow straps with my Dad.
Still have it :tu:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #59 on: May 25, 2018, 06:41:44 AM
My first knife was an slipjoint Okapi I bought in the shop across the road from my primary school; probably 1979?
That lead to my first modern style one hand opening knife in the early 90's (Spyderco Delica I still have, it broke its tip and I ground down the spine to meet the new tip. I found this knife at my Dads house again and swapped him another blade for it.)

First SAK was a Soldier my Dad brought back from a work training thing he did in Switzerland in the early 80's.
I lost that knife and replaced it with a similar one when I first flew through Zurich in 2000.

My first Multitool was a Leatherman Supertool round about 96/97.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%