Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger choke tool - Any good?

no Offline Toppskarven .

Wenger choke tool - Any good?
on: April 15, 2018, 09:06:51 AM
Have any of you tried the Wenger choke tool? If so is it any good?

Posted using my electronic SAK scales

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.
-Make intricate machinery and weapons.
-Aren't concerned with the wars of men.

DWARVES! THE SWISS ARE DWARVES!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger choke tool - Any good?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:02:07 PM
Have any of you tried the Wenger choke tool? If so is it any good?

I've seen one but never used it for the reasons below. The tool is stepped for 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns; if you've got either (or both) it can be used. For those with 10, 16 or 28 gauge,  or .410 caliber, it won't fit. Two main observations about this Wenger Highlander variant:
  • A Wenger Highlander variant with the shotgun choke tool is going to be a relatively rare and valuable collector's item; considering their value it would be best not to use it as any appreciable wear or marring drastically reduces its value. See next observation in particular.
  • I've used choke tools on my 12 gauge. The main problem with the Wenger tool is its orientation. In attempting to tighten a choke to keep it from coming loose and unthreading themselves (I've had this happen more than once, finding a choke half unscrewed), or especially to loosen a stuck choke tube, the tendency is to use the knife body for additional torque. This this twists directly against the blade pivot rivets and liners, attempting to spread them. Not good for the knife, potentially damaging it in a manner that's not easily repairable. IMHO this was a design shortcoming.
My recommendation: if you've got a Highlander with the choke tool, put it away in a drawer and protect its collector value. Get a regular choke tool and use that. IMO the tool was more selling gimmick for shotgun users than true utility.

Edit:
I hope you realize this is a long discontinued model and Wenger was acquired by Victorinox over a decade ago to prevent them from going completely bankrupt. Victorinox has continued some of the former Wenger Evolution line with Victorinox logos and tang stampings. The likelihood of any other former Wenger like this Highlander variant ever being resurrected is effectively zero.

John
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:30:34 PM by jalind »
John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56