Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mut blade on a Surge?

us Offline jlwatso1

Mut blade on a Surge?
on: April 16, 2018, 02:10:19 AM
I’m curious as to if this would work. ??? Has anyone tried it?

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: Mut blade on a Surge?
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:04 AM

There was a thread some time ago a member put a mut saw into a surge. So I would think the blade would work likewise. After some reprofiling work on the pivot area probably.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:16:04 AM

There was a thread some time ago a member put a mut saw into a surge. So I would think the blade would work likewise. After some reprofiling work on the pivot area probably.

Thanks Sam! I’m thinking about trying it. Just wanted to get some feedback from some experts before hand... :salute: I kind of want half BO Surge with Mut blade and scissors, ST 300 phillips and large flat head on the inside. EOD Plier Head. Then ST 300 for the other handle  for sure a  bit exchanger holding a long Mut phillips/flat head and either a blade exchanger or file and medium flathead. Then whatever else fits. May even try to cram a SOG wire stripper in there somewhere.... Of course, I kind of need to finish my other mod I started first! :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:59:44 AM

Thanks Sam! I’m thinking about trying it. Just wanted to get some feedback from some experts before hand... :salute: I kind of want half BO Surge with Mut blade and scissors, ST 300 phillips and large flat head on the inside. EOD Plier Head. Then ST 300 for the other handle  for sure a  bit exchanger holding a long Mut phillips/flat head and either a blade exchanger or file and medium flathead. Then whatever else fits. May even try to cram a SOG wire stripper in there somewhere.... Of course, I kind of need to finish my other mod I started first! :facepalm:

Why do you want a EOD Pliers head for? Unless u really need the cap crimper of course. Cos you will be losing out on the bolt gripper..

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:32:31 AM

Why do you want a EOD Pliers head for? Unless u really need the cap crimper of course. Cos you will be losing out on the bolt gripper..

I would like to have some dedicated crimpers for terminal connections. The ones one the regular plier heads just don’t do it for me.... I EDC a 4” crescent wrench and I think I can get by with that and the needle nose. I’m a little hacked at the moment... I just lost an eBay auction for a ST 300 EOD by a dollar because I wasn’t paying attention! :bnghd:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:40:36 AM by jlwatso1 »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:04:21 AM

I would like to have some dedicated crimpers for terminal connections. The ones one the regular plier heads just don’t do it for me.... I EDC a 4” crescent wrench and I think I can get by with that and the needle nose. I’m a little hacked at the moment... I just lost an eBay auction for a ST 300 EOD by a dollar because I wasn’t paying attention! :bnghd:

I think I saw that auction, its listed as a EOD. But it's actually just a regular one. Unless we are looking at different things. But I am quite sure of that. You know the crimper on the EOD are for blasting cap only rite.. Doesn't work for terminals..

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:30:14 AM

I think I saw that auction, its listed as a EOD. But it's actually just a regular one. Unless we are looking at different things. But I am quite sure of that. You know the crimper on the EOD are for blasting cap only rite.. Doesn't work for terminals..

No... I didn’t know that...I saw another auction with just a BO ST 300 with regular head... I may bid on it!

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:13 AM
Thanks for the info Sam! :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 07:29:44 AM

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 01:17:28 PM
G'Day

I tried a long time ago. As far as I remember the MUT tools needs a little working on and they should fit. I wanted to go the other way but found that the MUT tools are profiled a little differently and were over extending passed the 180 degree mark.

I am away at the moment and will post a few pics of what I tried when I am back. I think a MUT blade where the Surge serrated blade is will be cool, however the blade will be on the "wrong" side with the little notches on it.

Pete

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 01:44:51 PM
G'Day

I tried a long time ago. As far as I remember the MUT tools needs a little working on and they should fit. I wanted to go the other way but found that the MUT tools are profiled a little differently and were over extending passed the 180 degree mark.

I am away at the moment and will post a few pics of what I tried when I am back. I think a MUT blade where the Surge serrated blade is will be cool, however the blade will be on the "wrong" side with the little notches on it.

Pete

Thanks Pete! I hadn’t thought of that... If I made it look “right” then I wouldn’t have a spot for my scissors!  :facepalm:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 02:02:23 PM
LM did make a ST300 with regular CC pliers before they came out with EOD model. They come up once in a while on E-Bay   :tu:

Here's mine

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:18 PM
Sorry to go off topic but I dont know why LM hasn't offered a premium knife steel on both the MUT and Surge?  Can it be that much more expensive?
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 07:03:27 PM
LM did make a ST300 with regular CC pliers before they came out with EOD model. They come up once in a while on E-Bay   :tu:

Here's mine

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool! I think I have not seen this before.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 04:56:29 AM
LM did make a ST300 with regular CC pliers before they came out with EOD model. They come up once in a while on E-Bay   :tu

That’s the Plier Head I got on on the BO Supertool 300 I just won! 👍
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:02:00 AM by jlwatso1 »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 05:46:05 AM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 08:34:09 PM
I am considering getting a BO Semi Serrated Mut blade from Loki, but if I have to re profile it, I’m afraid it will look bad because that portion won’t have black oxide on it any more.... anyone have any experience with applying black oxide? Is there like a spray paint or is it more like powder coat? ??? Maybe I just need to go with the BO plain edge....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%