Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blister packages -- save or toss?

Myron · 31 · 1640

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Blister packages -- save or toss?
on: April 16, 2018, 09:36:49 PM
Elsewhere on MTO I have lamented the modern packaging that SAKs come in these days.  Now I am wondering what most folks do with blister packaging when they buy a SAK brand new primarily for collecting (ie, not using or carrying).  How about you?  Do you free the knife from the blister pack so you can handle it and enjoy it, and then toss the blister pack?  Or do you keep the knife forever imprisoned in the blister pack, unable to be handled and completely appreciated?

I myself don't ever really intend to sell any of my VSAKs and don't consider them investments.  So I open the blister pack and toss it, but I am wondering if maybe there is another strategy that I'm not aware of...

Thanks,

Myron

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Blister packages -- save or toss?
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:39:17 PM
Toss. Whether it be SAK or diecast collecting, I hate blisters. They take up a ton of space, and you can't put the thing back in it once opened.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:22 PM
It's true, it's hard to put the knife back in once open, but I have carefully cut around the knife on one that I opened.
The others I have kept sealed.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:51:23 PM
Elsewhere on MTO I have lamented the modern packaging that SAKs come in these days.  Now I am wondering what most folks do with blister packaging when they buy a SAK brand new primarily for collecting (ie, not using or carrying).  How about you?  Do you free the knife from the blister pack so you can handle it and enjoy it, and then toss the blister pack?  Or do you keep the knife forever imprisoned in the blister pack, unable to be handled and completely appreciated?

I myself don't ever really intend to sell any of my VSAKs and don't consider them investments.  So I open the blister pack and toss it, but I am wondering if maybe there is another strategy that I'm not aware of...

Thanks,

Myron

I've saved boxes, but only because I've got a dresser drawer that can be used for them. The vacuum molded Blister packs get pitched. All the ones I've encountered need to be cut open with a SAK (preferably), a utility knife (with razor blade), or pair of large shears. Not worth keeping. I look at them for recycling markings but rarely (this is more than just SAKs) are they marked with the type of plastic for a recycler. Regarding the boxes, it's very likely I will eventually clear them out. Mine get carried and used, so keeping the packaging doesn't do much for their value.

Leaving one in the blister pack reminds me of the Leica camera collectors who handle the sealed box with lint-free gloves and will not open it. If up for sale, they and the buyer will X-ray the box to ensure the camera is, indeed, inside, and that it's not a small brick. The difference would be one can see it through the blister pack. However, blister pack plastics do not age gracefully. The plastic outgasses, undergoes chemical changes including reacting to ambient indoor lighting, yellows, embrittles and eventually cracks apart. Been there, done that. Kept a torque wrench in its blister pack because it didn't come with a case. Eventually found one that it fit well just as the blister pack was falling apart from embrittlement. The bottom line is the blister pack will not last. It's anything but archival.

Edit:
IMO it would be better to build a case for protected storage of them. More effective usage of space and will last much longer if made from good materials.

John
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:59:19 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:37 PM
Pretty much how I feel too. 

Anybody else?  If the MTO forum software supported polls I'd set one up to settle this burning issue...   ;)

Myron

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:12 PM
I forgot who but someone in this forum has a Wenger in Vic packaging, things like that i would leave alone and not open, or even if its rare or discontinued i would leave, generally speaking though i would skip it, i keep boxes but not blisters :tu:

They do make good decoration though  ;)
The only reason these are still in packaging is because i have plenty Spartans roaming free, and these will be gifts probably, if nothing else they take up less space out the packaging, and lets face it, these Spartans will never be rare :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 02:15:01 AM
I don't even usually keep the packaging when its a cardboard box. Who needs that clutter?  :whistle:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 03:55:53 AM
I fully understand some people's desire to save the original packaging, but blister packs are just cheesy. And leaving stuff sealed in them is kind of like not appreciating the tool(unless it is a duplicate item of something you have out already). IMHO of course.
If an item has the original cardboard package, I tend to break it down to its' flattened state and throw it in a giant ziplock bag in my closet.

I am fortunate though, that I don't really care if something has original packaging or not. Paying 2x-3x more for something with printed paperboard around it just doesn't appeal to me.
I do understand the OCD level of collecting, because I trade with people sometimes who cannot be bothered to own something without original packaging. They seem to appreciate the box more than the tool itself. :think:
The way I see it though, I'd rather have 30 SAKs without packaging than 10 SAKs with packaging. I want to play with my SAKs.  :climber:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:57:09 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:40:37 AM
For the most part, blister pack is gone, I do have one exception though, more for the novelty, than collector value, but hey you never know.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
Toss the package use the knife, but it does look like the blister package might be a rare find in the future

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:31:43 PM
I hate blister packages. Only pack something in a blister if you want the contents to be impossible to be taken out. Like nuclear waste for example.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 01:54:00 PM
blister and clamshell packages are hell,
and there is where they belong  :salute:

unless you buy it only and specifically to be sold as a profit or pass down new to somebody, toss it  ;)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 01:40:12 AM
Toss.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 04:01:12 AM
I hate blister packages. Only pack something in a blister if you want the contents to be impossible to be taken out. Like nuclear waste for example.

Honestly though how hard can it be for any of us to open a blister package with the myriad of SAKs and multitools we have laying around? A true SAKnight relishes difficult to open packaging, it is our moment to shine!  :SAKnight:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 04:36:13 PM
If the tool is being purchased for using then liberate and toss the packaging.

If it is for a collection (ie not for use) then most definitely leave it in the blister pack.  If I'm buying a "collector" tool then I will pay more for one in a sealed blister pack as I can then have confidence that the tool hasn't been molested in any way.  If I'm trading it to another collector then they will have the same confidence.  This definitely increases the desirability of the tool. 

I've had some unpleasant surprises with supposedly "new" or "mint" tools in the past where there was damage not shown in the photos, so even if it is for use you are much less likely to get a tool with hidden damage if itl is still in its original sealed blister back..
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 04:48:24 PM
I kept these in their blister packs as I collect boxes and packaging.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 05:17:43 PM
Ok, FB came clear first.

I only had 1 SAK arrive in a blister, ever. And yes, it's still in there :dd:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 05:22:38 PM
I almost never buy new. Packaging is not much of a problem that way. Toss it all ' cept the knife.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 05:31:25 PM
Yeoman is one of my favorite SAKs and I like having the Yeoman in a blister pack because I know it is genuine.  The one I have in a box could "possibly" be one someone has made and I probably wouldn't know it unless I took off the scales or purchased it from a store.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 07:04:48 PM
Yeoman is one of my favorite SAKs and I like having the Yeoman in a blister pack because I know it is genuine.  The one I have in a box could "possibly" be one someone has made and I probably wouldn't know it unless I took off the scales or purchased it from a store.

That is a good point FB! :tu: :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 07:52:03 PM
Pretty much how I feel too. 

Anybody else?  If the MTO forum software supported polls I'd set one up to settle this burning issue...   ;)

Myron

Look for 'add poll' at the top or bottom of this page or 'new poll' which is next to 'new topic' in any of the subsections.

Offline mattbod

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:48 PM
I've never actually seen the blister packs. All my recent ones have come in those little silver boxes. I loved the old matchbox style box they did in the 90s. You only get that with the swisschamp now.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 10:48:50 PM
Bliesters are a pain in the ass to open. Manufactured for obsolescence. Just food for my garbage bin.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 10:58:58 PM
You could collect a bunch of blister packs. Make a clay mold of the SAK handle. Melt down the blister packs and make a new clear (or color it if you wish) scale for your SAK.  On second thought, easier to just throw them away.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 12:50:04 AM
Look for 'add poll' at the top or bottom of this page or 'new poll' which is next to 'new topic' in any of the subsections.

Thank you, Zoidberg -- I'm still a newbie here and getting used to the different layout of MTO compared to other forums I use.   I will say that just doing an informal poll based on the responses so far it looks like we're about

- 95% toss the blister pack,

- 5% keep the knife in the blister pack,

- and 0% find another solution (such as liberate the knife from the blister pack but preserve the hard card). 

Great topic, and it's fun to see how everybody feels about it.  Thanks all for the responses!

Myron

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 12:53:22 AM

The Yeoman and Scientist are two of my all-time favorites as well.  I have only mild anxiety that used knives I buy on eBay are fake put-togethers, but it's a shame that the only way to tell is conduct a destructive test. 

I must admit that I'm totally envious you found a Yeoman in a blister pack!  I am sure that I wouldn't be able to resist, however, and would have to open it up to fully appreciate and enjoy the knife.  I admire your will. 

Myron

Offline mattbod

Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 05:41:58 AM
Why do Victorinox do both boxes and blisters for the same knives? I would think the cardboard box would suffice and be cheaper to produce. That lovely box I posted above contains my first knife bought early 90s when I was 15 a Climber which is my favourite everyday carry. A nice box even for a cheaper but fab knife  :climber:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:44:12 AM by mattbod »

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 06:08:46 AM
Why do Victorinox do both boxes and blisters for the same knives? I would think the cardboard box would suffice and be cheaper to produce. That lovely box I posted above contains my first knife bought early 90s when I was 15 a Climber which is my favourite everyday carry. A nice box even for a cheaper but fab knife  :climber:
The blister is needed for hanging on pegboard pegs in Big Box home improvement and discount department stores. Needs to be big enough to discourage shoplifting and tough enough to get into to discourage someone trying to slice into it to steal the contents with a utility razor. Be observant in a WalMart, K-Mart or Target for a few hours in the USA and you can see all sorts of activity with people trying to steal things. In some store locations, it's shameless.

John

Offline mattbod

Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 03:11:09 PM
Thanks should have guessed that. I guess it's the same with expensive razor blades. I have bought all my knives from speSmurfpillst stores or online.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 04:15:20 PM
The blister is needed for hanging on pegboard pegs in Big Box home improvement and discount department stores. Needs to be big enough to discourage shoplifting and tough enough to get into to discourage someone trying to slice into it to steal the contents with a utility razor. Be observant in a WalMart, K-Mart or Target for a few hours in the USA and you can see all sorts of activity with people trying to steal things. In some store locations, it's shameless.

John

Never thought of it that way! I always thought they were just to discourage me from ever using the contents  :salute:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44