Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool kb

Offline aikon2014

Skeletool kb
on: April 16, 2018, 10:08:23 PM
I've read alot of negative stuff about the kb and kbx, imo I think it's because people expect an MT but it's a small knife. Imo it does it's job well. A small/tiny pocket knife for those times when carrying anything bigger can't be done for different reasons. The ergo's aren't the best but they are okey. The clip saves its ergos imo since I can use it to press against when opening and closing. There are very few good small/tiny pocketknives out there, but imo the kb are one if them, at least if you take it for what it is, a small pocket knife and not an MT.

I upgraded mine with a 154cm skeletool cx blade that I bought from loki and now it's even better!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Skeletool kb
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:01:31 AM
Recently ordered one out of curiosity. I haven't got it yet, so I'm looking forward to testing it.  :mail:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:30:44 PM
I have now received my Skeletool KB, and why on Earth are people hating on this cute, little thing?! It feels good in the hand, has an open construction which seems pretty easy to clean and weighs pretty much nothing. I like it a lot more than I expected, and it will absolutely make it into EDC rotation. As aikon2014 states, it's a small knife, and a very nice one given the price tag.  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:56:15 AM
I love the blade profile but when I held it in hand at a store I just couldn't get past how thin it felt :-\ I really wanted to like these knives because I love the Skeley and it's blade so much :facepalm: Glad you guys are getting on with it though :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 05:28:26 PM
Or you could attach the KB/KBX to something else.  ;)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:43:54 PM
Love my KB, but honest never carry it. I have a few blades on me already and carrying one more (even though it is small) is just not necessary. I can’t bring myself to get rid of it though. I love small blades like this as well as the small Spydercos like the Ladybug. There’s just something about having a small yet capable blade that is appealing to me yet I just can’t justify it in my daily carry. If I’m going on a hike or are carrying a backpack I will drop it in as a backup though.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline getahl

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:51:15 PM
I carried mine for a couple months, put it away for a couple reasons. When I first saw LM was making a knife only Skeletool, I was elated. The blade shape, size, and aesthetic just do it for me. But, it was uncomfortable to use. I carried  it loose in pocket for a while, amd jabbed my finger so hard on the bottle opener tab that it bled. Right by my nail. Filed off that sucker, and problem fixed. Bottle opener didn't work very well anyway, and I still needed the pocket clip because the handle was too thin otherwise.

Secondly, opening it one handed was hazardous. The thumb hole half moon was too small. A couple times I nearly cut my thumb open when it skittered out of the hole. Two handed opening it is.

Last two, performance related, the blade was just too thick for how small it is from edge to spine, making the blade toi obtuse for my liking, and I have too choke up on thr handle in order to cut anything. All that being said, I tapped out, didn't look back.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 03:19:03 PM
I carried mine for a couple months, put it away for a couple reasons. When I first saw LM was making a knife only Skeletool, I was elated. The blade shape, size, and aesthetic just do it for me. But, it was uncomfortable to use. I carried  it loose in pocket for a while, amd jabbed my finger so hard on the bottle opener tab that it bled. Right by my nail. Filed off that sucker, and problem fixed. Bottle opener didn't work very well anyway, and I still needed the pocket clip because the handle was too thin otherwise.

Secondly, opening it one handed was hazardous. The thumb hole half moon was too small. A couple times I nearly cut my thumb open when it skittered out of the hole. Two handed opening it is.

Last two, performance related, the blade was just too thick for how small it is from edge to spine, making the blade toi obtuse for my liking, and I have too choke up on thr handle in order to cut anything. All that being said, I tapped out, didn't look back.

I had a quick look at it for similar reasons as you, I like the Skeletool aesthetics, and have the smaller version PS and CS. The KB would be a nice addition. But, the price in Europe (46$) is almost double the US price (24$), and even with me liking the Skeletool, I was always adverse to the holes in the blade, as picking out sausage or other food remains is a pain in the neck. Funny that none of the reviews mention the holes as a negative? Anyway, having only a blade with the same holes, at a crazy European price just put me off of getting one.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline mcb

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:25 PM
I picked up a Skeletool KBx when Academy when they had the colored one on sale for ~$15.  I got a Denim colored one.  It looks good, the quality was good and the build well fitted, just like the Skeletool.  But from a usability point of view it was not good, The handle is so small and awkward that one handed opening and closing was very hard compared to how easy I can do that with my Skeletool.  The small handle also made it uncomfortable to cut with especially if it required serious pressure.  The bottle opener was as likely to tear through the cap as it was to pry it off and it was again awkward to use as a bottle opener.  I only carried it a few days and put it away.  I will use it as a spare blade if I ever break my Skeletool blade.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:34:39 PM
I picked up a Skeletool KBx when Academy when they had the colored one on sale for ~$15.  I got a Denim colored one.  It looks good, the quality was good and the build well fitted, just like the Skeletool.  But from a usability point of view it was not good, The handle is so small and awkward that one handed opening and closing was very hard compared to how easy I can do that with my Skeletool.  The small handle also made it uncomfortable to cut with especially if it required serious pressure.  The bottle opener was as likely to tear through the cap as it was to pry it off and it was again awkward to use as a bottle opener.  I only carried it a few days and put it away.  I will use it as a spare blade if I ever break my Skeletool blade.

For $15 I would pick on up. Not for $46.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 06:11:17 PM
Half tools have its uses. You can turn it into a Skelejuice.  :whistle:

us Offline getahl

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 05:38:25 AM

That's a pretty good idea, actually. I have a Skeletool with the 420C semi-serrated blade. It's alright, but not ideal. I think I'll switch the two blades around, just for kicks.

Offline aikon2014

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:10:25 PM
Interesting observation: they seem to have started to do hollow grinds on skeletools. I have had a skeletool replacements from warranty that was hollow grinded and a skeletool kb as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%