Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the worst?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What's the worst?
on: April 16, 2018, 11:59:29 PM
Since Nix says he struggles with quizzes I figured I'd start another one!   >:D

The quizzes are awlways a struggle for me.....

There's an old proverb that says even monkeys fall out of trees, which basically means that even the best can screw up, so here's your chance to pick out what you think is the absolute worst model from each of the major brands- Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber, SOG and CRKT.

And any other brands you want to add- be they knives, multitools, whatever.

For me, my list of the big guys would be:

Leatherman Rev- seriously, what the hell were they thinking?  Were they sitting around the boardroom table and saying "look, the Sidekick and Wingman are bad, but they are still kind of useful, what can we come up with that is even worse?"

Victorinox AutoTool- This one was part of the lifestyle series and was a complete screwup.  It was a solution to a problem no one was having, and an overly complex and bulky one at that.  One of the reasons the Swiss Army Knife concept was popular was because it was convenient, which the Autotool absolutely wasn't. 

Gerber Evolution- this was a really cool concept, with it's interchangeable plier heads, but again, they missed the mark on convenience.  The plier heads didn't retract so it was pretty similar to carrying a normal set of pliers, only with less comfortable handles.  And the sheath was HUGE because it had to carry either 2 spare heads or 6 spare heads, depending on which version you had.

SOG MACV- Really?  I mean.... really?  Of all the successes and failures SOG has had, this is perhaps the one that irks me the most.  Rather than make a useful tool, they purposely set out to compromise the tool by making it look like their ultra cool tactical type logo.  Give me something functional instead of something cute any day.

CRKT Lumabiner- The guy that designed this one, Tom Stokes is a friend, and so I feel bad about picking this one, but then despite it not being a great tool, it really wasn't intended for much, so I guess it at least hits the mark.  Whatever mark that is...

So what do you think was the worst from each manufacturer?  And, if you like any of the above tools, feel free to defend their honor!   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What's the worst?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:16 AM
 :worthless:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:13 AM
I'll add the Wenger Business Tool. Basically an over-priced stapler that helped put Wenger out of business.

show_image.jpeg
* show_image.jpeg (Filesize: 74.17 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:21:27 AM
Rev is very bad, i got one for free and i still returned it for credit.
Signal is seriously overrated and I don't understand why people like it so much.
Tread is a joke. :whistle:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 12:28:22 AM
One word...  Dime.     :rant:

It could have been so much, but it feels like a Chinese knockoff of something that missed the mark.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:43 AM
This is why I failed third grade...... :whistle:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 02:20:24 AM
Nothing against anyone who likes any of these. Just one guy's opinions.

Leatherman - where to start? Thier older or more classic designs are best for me, including newer stuff based on older designs, but the bad? Well there is a three way tie. The REV was a big mistake. If the Sidekick and the Wingman differ essentially in that one has a scissors and the other a saw, the REV should have had both but has neither...

That being said, that silly, overly expensive, under useful Tread? C'mon.

Aside from those two, the Skeletool that cost $70 at the least with 7 tools (a stretch), while my $50 Reba has so many tools. I can't see paying $20 more bucks for 10 fewer tools. I just cant.

Vic - I know I am in the minority on this but the Classic baffles me. The anemic blade is so tiny, I can just about use it to open letters. And few people send letters these days. My PS4 isn't much bigger but at least has a blade with some belly. So does my Micro and the Classic has nothing on either of those except less weight, which I would expect from a tool that is not much more useful than nail clippers/ file

Gerber - Don't own one. Would love an original Mr. Pinchy, though.

SOG- Don't own one. Can't see myself purchasing one, as it does not appear to have anything over a Leatherman.

CRKT - The only one I own is an Ed Halligan design K.I.S.S. and I like it. I used it so much I broke the tip off. Some of the fixed blade designs seem wild for no other purpose than to design a wild looking blade, though...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:31:43 AM
Lots of good bad ones already mentioned. I gave it a thought, and here are a few of the bad designs. I have quite a few more actually but these are the ones that quickly came to mind.

Victorinox Sport Ratchet.

Think similar size to the 111mm knives but more boxier and awkward to handhold. Includes the tweezer and toothpick as a weird afterthought that fleshes out the tools limited functions. Part of the Lifestyle collection.

Victorinox Auto Tool.

Def pretty much said it all. So old the included light is an old school incandescent bulb. The included ice scrapper is the real kicker here though. It is hard to deploy, and I do not know of too many folks who would use one seeing as the Auto Tool wasn't cheap to begin with.

Gerber Recoil.

Who ever thought that installing a powerful spring launched plier activated by a press button was a good idea should be made to watch Barney the Purple Dinosaur videos on a 48 hour loop.

Camillus Les Stroud Multi-tool.

This tool is so big and bulky that the designers had to go the extra mile to make it so. They started by installing large spacers between the tools. Then they added a big rubber/plastic cover over everything. Bonus points for just taking the flashlight/whistle and fire steel parts from the knife series and just adding them to this sorry excuse of a multi-tool.

Leatherman Signal.

I never did take a shine to the Signal. I just find the removable bits are a tad small and fiddly to take off and attach to the main tool. The smallish whistle is on the anemic side.

Swiss Bricks.

I save the truly awful for last. The Swiss Bricks is a misguided attempt to mate the function of a swiss army knife with the fun factor of Legos. Problem is, this tool is neither functional or fun. Where do I start? This is so bad on so many fronts I am left speechless.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 04:41:00 AM
The Camillus Les Stroud Engage? Heck... it ain't even bulletproof! Let alone how it flies apart when exposed to a few kilos of C4!  :rofl:

The Leatherman Carabiner. It's a non-load carrying carabiner that costs $10. Why?

The red LED version of the Victorinox Swisslite. I think I'd LOVE the white LED version.

The SOG Powerlock. I hated every single thing about it except for the compound leverage plier head.

My original Black Gerber Dime. The new one seems to built to a better standard.

CRKT Eat'n tool. Just...  :facepalm:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:30 AM
Some of the answers here are odd, but this thread is purely subjective from what I gather. So here are a few of my worst of the worse.

Leatherman:
Flair. It was supposed to be the debonair PST. What it was is a silly novelty MT. Butter blade and cocktail fork are fails.
Style. Any of them. Tiny and weak compated to the Squirt and Micra.

Gerber:
Radius . Huge, plastic frame flexes like crazy, and has very few tools for the size that are awkwardly placed in the handles.
Steady . A multitool made with the primary function being a 3" tall camera tripod? What the hell?

Victorinox:
Limited editions . Cost much more than the basic versions and don't take a red cent more to make in their almost purely robotic production facility.
MiniChamp . This should have been called the Classic Deluxe or something. It is too small to called a 'Champ'. It is useless compared to a full size SwissChamp. But, it is more useful than a Classic. Almost anything is more useful than a Classic though.

SOG:
PowerDuo. What the hell SOG? Anyone who owns one know what I mean when I say that.

There are too many fails and near fails from the MT companies to count. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 07:00:37 AM
So far I've learned why Def gave away so many MacV tools last year :whistle:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 08:11:16 AM
I'll add the Wenger Business Tool. Basically an over-priced stapler that helped put Wenger out of business.

I seriously love my Wenger Business Tool to death. I use it a dozen times every day and every day people look at it in awe at the amazing little jewel and incredible piece of engineering.

I use it 10 times more than all my other tools combined.

All said, yes, it is an overpriced (flimsy) stapler that put Wenger out of business, and yes the plastic on it cracks if you fart towards it but It's truly a great and unique tool... if it was cheaper, people would have flocked to get it...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 08:17:11 AM
Did it really?  :think:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 08:20:46 AM
Aside from those two, the Skeletool that cost $70 at the least with 7 tools (a stretch), while my $50 Reba has so many tools. I can't see paying $20 more bucks for 10 fewer tools. I just cant.

Vic - I know I am in the minority on this but the Classic baffles me. The anemic blade is so tiny, I can just about use it to open letters. And few people send letters these days. My PS4 isn't much bigger but at least has a blade with some belly. So does my Micro and the Classic has nothing on either of those except less weight, which I would expect from a tool that is not much more useful than nail clippers/ file

Sorry, can't concur. The SkeleTool is light, has a gorgeous design and great ergonomics. Really if you use a knife, pliers and screwdrivers on your multitool, that's all you need. 90% I keep my Charge, Spirit or MP400 at home and just take my trusty SkeleTool.

Also about the Classic I beg to differ. It is an amazing tool. Light, small, strong, beautiful. It has a great nail file and cleaner, the best scissors on the market, good T&T and the blade is far more capable than you would think (I used it it for carving wood, cutting thick leather, rubber, heavy sacks, cardboard and the tiny blade came through. I prefer the Rambler with the added tiny Philips and cap lifter and maybe a led on the scales.
I fail to see what a PS4 bring over a Rambler... everything is clunckier and less powerfull... really it only has pliers... I have a Styple PS, a couple of Gerber Dimes and never used their pliers for anything.. they are too flimsy for pretty much any work that requires a plier... you can't even get a proper grip... they do make good tweezers for pulling nose hairs, though  :pommel:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 08:26:09 AM
Did it really?  :think:

That's the story: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=32653.0

They were limping pretty hard after the 9-11 ban on knives and spending their money on stuff like the oboe tool, the snowboard tool and similar "highly useful and marketable" gimmicks.

The Business Tool took 6 years of design and bucketloads of money to develop. It was a good product, but not many people would spend a couple of hundred dollars on a glorified stapler.

It's considered to have been the final nail in the Wenger coffin...

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 08:31:56 AM

Hehe... I said Wenger coffin  :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:29 AM
Camillus Les Stroud Multi-tool.

This tool is so big and bulky that the designers had to go the extra mile to make it so. They started by installing large spacers between the tools. Then they added a big rubber/plastic cover over everything. Bonus points for just taking the flashlight/whistle and fire steel parts from the knife series and just adding them to this sorry excuse of a multi-tool.

Show content

Still, Lynn's review has provided hours of entertainment. :like:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:42:57 AM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 08:44:05 AM
That's the story: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=32653.0

They were limping pretty hard after the 9-11 ban on knives and spending their money on stuff like the oboe tool, the snowboard tool and similar "highly useful and marketable" gimmicks.

The Business Tool took 6 years of design and bucketloads of money to develop. It was a good product, but not many people would spend a couple of hundred dollars on a glorified stapler.

wow. That's so interesting. These were on Amazon not long ago, for a fraction of their original price. Should have jumped on the opportunity.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 09:05:54 AM
Going through my collection, I have some tools I do not like.

Leatherman
Wingman: Ordered two, and they were both terrible. Scissors were too tight in their handle, even when the screw was loose. The scissor blades did not close all the way to the tip, and deploying the blade was like holding a bunch of coins in my hand. Talk about rattling. The two replacements I received were the exact same low quality pieces of junk. This was the reason I got a Rebar. Now that's a tool.

Core: I do not know why this exists. While I do not hate it, I see no reason for it to exist. The ST300 was the natural way to go after the ST200. Put the outer locking tabs and update the implements. Why did they instead go for zytel inserts and thinner handles? Why did the handles not simply curve at the pliers end? I use it every now and then to get my money's worth. Saving grace are the great implements and pliers.

Squirt PS4: The scissors spring is what I do not like. LM knows it is too thin and breaks often. Why are no steps being taken to fix this? I prefer my P4.

SOG
PowerLock: I hate this thing. I hate every implement, the flimsy locking tabs, the rattly lock-up, the weak Phillips, the warranty that only covers the handles and plier, the terrible handle covers that add a step to opening something and make the handles not close flush, the exposed gears, the handle splay when gripping something. I got a SS and a BO for my collection, and thought I'd use them. I did once, while fixing my curtain beam. Hated every second of it. The good thing is that you can put Leatherman implements in there.

Things I do not have and will never get are:
The half Juice with the scissors and corkscrew. I think it is ugly. I'd rather use a sak.
LM Freestyle. I see no point in buying one. Barely a multi-tool.
The SOG PowerDuo does not do it for me. So many issues with quality control. I'll stay away.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:07:07 AM by ReamerPunch »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 11:23:32 AM

Victorinox:
MiniChamp . This should have been called the Classic Deluxe or something. It is too small to called a 'Champ'. It is useless compared to a full size SwissChamp. But, it is more useful than a Classic. Almost anything is more useful than a Classic though.

What?!?  :ahhh...

...What?!?....  :ahhh...

Everything else you said though - spot on!  :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:33:37 AM by Fuzzbucket »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:09 PM

Victorinox:

Honestly I am not that crazy about the Minichamp either... it has too much crap shoved in there to make the count... I mean, the coke spoon (Cuticle Pusher), penile measurement device (Screwdriver-ruler) and Finger-poking apparatus (Cut-and-picker blade) are ridiculous afterthoughts that bring lots of width but 0 useability.

The Rambler is so much better designed.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 01:49:46 PM

Victorinox:

:surrender: :rofl:

Admittedly, I have a minichamp and classic. Actually, I own all of the tools I mentioned. :facepalm:

Thank you, Fuzzbucket! :cheers:

Victorinox:

Honestly I am not that crazy about the Minichamp either... it has too much crap shoved in there to make the count... I mean, the coke spoon (Cuticle Pusher), penile measurement device (Screwdriver-ruler) and Finger-poking apparatus (Cut-and-picker blade) are ridiculous afterthoughts that bring lots of width but 0 useability.

:rofl: That sums it up fairly well, Corwyn! :cheers:
On the plus side, everyone should have a minichamp. Just to experience the audacity of it. :salute:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 01:59:51 PM

Victorinox:

:surrender: :rofl:

Admittedly, I have a minichamp and classic. Actually, I own all of the tools I mentioned. :facepalm:

Thank you, Fuzzbucket! :cheers:

Victorinox:

:rofl: That sums it up fairly well, Corwyn! :cheers:
On the plus side, everyone should have a minichamp. Just to experience the audacity of it. :salute:

Well...

I hear what you two are saying... but... it depends on what you do/need it for. I bought mine years ago along with my OG Wave, because I was doing a lot of AV stuff at the time and I needed something small to keep in my pocket for inspecting and cleaning up old cables... and I was skint and didn't have a lot of money.

My Minichamp is now the oldest surviving SAK/Multitool tool I have and has been by far one of the most useful and it's precisely because it has lots of strange little odd shaped crappy metal implements on it that for me has made it invaluable. However, I'll admit, not necessarily for there intended purpose...s

Right, in true MTo fashion, let's go through them one by one:

Small rule - is actually a perfectly good depth gauge

Small flat screwdriver - was perfect for old school RG59 connectors

Orange Peeler - now, this might sound surprising, but it's brilliant for cleaning hooky velcro (try it, seriously there's no better tool) and it's also quite handy for catching small cables in tight apertures

Small wharny blade - great for picking small locks, it'll work on most small padlocks if you persevere and is pretty good for removing splinters - especially bigger stabby plywood ones

Coke spoon - okay looks useful, however, I'll admit I can't remember ever using it... probably excellent for putting baking soda into those small plastic submarines you used to get free in breakfast cereal

Scissors - outstanding, no need to go into them

Philips - pretty damn decent actually

Knife blade - okay

Tweezers - excellent

Pen - has scribbled down phone numbers when no other bloody pen could be found

Anyway, It's also a very beautiful compact little tool too... and often undervalued... in my opinion.

Apologies for the crappy pic... Oh and..  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:16:41 PM by Fuzzbucket »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 02:07:15 PM
Worst LM for me has to be the Tread. Just  :facepalm: Doesn't seem to fulfill a particular need, looks terrible (IMO) costs A LOT for a bit of jewellery. I'd put it in the same bracket as make up products for men.

Worst SAK. The actual worst is prolly the Stapler one - way too expensive for a stapler and half assed in every other department. A product looking for a market.
                      The worst otherwise for me is prolly any single bladed SAK - why? The thing the SAK brings to the table is a knife and a bunch of truly useful tools. Otherwise just get a penknife.
                      I agree about the limited editions too - For me, tools are for using. Nothing against those who get pleasure from collecting, but something as well designed as your average SAK and built to be used is
                      wasted on a shelf.

Not sure about anything else - my MT world is small.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 02:10:44 PM
Worst SAK?  Yeoman.  No awl, dumb combo tool, no small blade, waste-of-space magnifier and stupidly high prices for second hand or small runs from one single dealer.  Just buy an Explorer, you muppets. :twak:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 02:12:32 PM
Worst LM?  Wave.  No awl, too many blades, uncomfortable to hold, rubbish scissors, stupid little eyeglass driver.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 02:14:21 PM
Oh yeah.  Second worst SAK?  Farmer.  No scale tools, no small blade, stupid keyring loop digs in to your hand when you use the saw.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 02:15:26 PM
You ok Hun?  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 02:16:37 PM
Second worst LM?  Micra.  Floppy scissors, silly little inside-only tools, crappy tweezers.  Weighs a ton and does nothing better than a Rambler. :twak:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 02:16:46 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30