Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the worst?

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: What's the worst?
Reply #150 on: April 21, 2018, 08:39:26 PM
Here's the Omega "moon watch" or whatever. 10 grand for a watch you can't read. Junk.  :)

I have a G Shock like that.  It is a GA-101 Dark Knight which looks amazingly cool in pictures.

(Image removed from quote.)

As cool as it looks, it is extremely difficult to read at a glance.   :facepalm:

Def

At least the hands aren't black, and it was a fraction of the price, but yeah if I have to dig out my reading glasses or start carrying an Explorer just to read my watch, then it's pretty useless other than jewelry.  :-\

Yes, it is indeed a much less expensive, slightly more useful watch, and so not as bad as the Omega, but trust me, the hands really blend into the other dials and hands and things and so you really have to spend time looking at it.

I bought the watch (or rather it was bought for me as a birthday gift) from someone here on the forum (yes, I know who you R  :pok:) and it is a beautiful watch that I very much enjoy having.  It's just not one I usually wear because it takes effort to actually see what time it is, and it seems I am a bit too lazy to spend time actually looking at a watch these days.  I have been spoiled by easier to read watches like the Orange Monster and various digital and smart watches I guess.

Def

When I got my watch I went to the Vic website and brought up the different dial colors on one page, then I held my tablet at arms length to see which dial had the most contrast. Turns out the black dial was the most legible (surprising huh? :D), so I went for that.

And yes I am that neurotic.  :facepalm:

Heckuva nice gift btw!  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:44:19 PM by twiliter »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #151 on: April 21, 2018, 08:51:51 PM
It was a great gift indeed!

I can just see you getting up after being rolled by a couple of thugs.  The person helping you up would tell you they took your watch and you will respond with "that's ok, the joke is on them, they'll never be able to tell what time it is!"

:rofl:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #152 on: April 21, 2018, 09:06:19 PM
What a relief!  :rofl:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #153 on: April 21, 2018, 09:24:06 PM
So my worst ever Vic was a 1938 Soldier knife, truly a nail breaker. I had to use a 111mm locking caplifter to get any of the tools open, and it was in perfect factory condition, well oiled and not stuck or bent or anything! The back springs were so stiff that it actually made me flinch to close the damned thing.  :ahhh

us Offline cody6268

Reply #154 on: April 22, 2018, 12:18:25 AM
So my worst ever Vic was a 1938 Soldier knife, truly a nail breaker. I had to use a 111mm locking caplifter to get any of the tools open, and it was in perfect factory condition, well oiled and not stuck or bent or anything! The back springs were so stiff that it actually made me flinch to close the damned thing.  :ahhh

With my 1941 Elsener, it did that with the screwdriver and can opener when I got it, and after the first cleaning and oiling. I guess carrying it helped a lot--it's still got probably the strongest springs in my collection but is less prone to ripping out fingernails. Of course, yours is minty, mine's been to Hades and back with a blade that's an inch short, and sharpened with the "monkey with a bench grinder approach", screwdriver with welding spatter on the spine, blunt awl, warped scales, etc.  Could it have been that it was peened a bit tight?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:21:05 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline twiliter

Reply #155 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:15 AM

With my 1941 Elsener, it did that with the screwdriver and can opener when I got it, and after the first cleaning and oiling. I guess carrying it helped a lot--it's still got probably the strongest springs in my collection but is less prone to ripping out fingernails. Of course, yours is minty, mine's been to Hades and back with a blade that's an inch short, and sharpened with the "monkey with a bench grinder approach", screwdriver with welding spatter on the spine, blunt awl, warped scales, etc.  Could it have been that it was peened a bit tight?

No, is was smooth and free, but the snap closed was like lightning on all the tools. It may have loosened up with lots of use and open-close cycles, but I got rid of it before it injured me.  :ahhh

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #156 on: April 22, 2018, 06:23:49 AM
Does it come with a battery, or is it extra?

Pretty sure those are self-winders.  :salute:

(aka automatic)

:like:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #157 on: April 23, 2018, 08:26:55 PM
The first time I opened a Rev in store I almost sliced my thumb pad off. Serious chefs don't cook without tasting--and multi tool companies ought not to make thumb holes for opening knives without trying them out first.

The Signal--definitely NOT a good bushcrafter/outdoorsman tool. Doesn't come close to my Surge. Sadly, no awl on my Charge TTi or Wave, or they'd have been in the running for bushcrafting.

Victorinox hook placement. On some models, eg Huntsman, it is cheek-by-jowl with the split ring mounting and many of us cannot get a purchase on the darn thing. No point in breaking a nail just to declare, "Huh, what's this for?"   

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #158 on: April 23, 2018, 09:14:28 PM
The worst?

For me, all one piece tools and anything with bear grylls name on it.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #159 on: April 23, 2018, 11:02:35 PM
The worst?

I own the Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack. And i like it quite a bit. It's the only thing with 'Bear Grylls' on it that ever interested me.

You want bad, go get an MT with 'Les Stroud' on it. :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #160 on: April 24, 2018, 12:41:11 AM
For my money,my worst ever was the SOG PowerAssist...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #161 on: April 24, 2018, 07:40:36 AM
The worst?

I own the Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack. And i like it quite a bit. It's the only thing with 'Bear Grylls' on it that ever interested me.

You want bad, go get an MT with 'Les Stroud' on it. :D

Yeah, but, has Bear Grylls used his multi-tool in a survival situation?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: April 24, 2018, 08:15:11 AM

No, because he is still alive?  :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #163 on: April 24, 2018, 11:59:43 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #164 on: April 24, 2018, 12:46:23 PM
I guess that could be an interesting topic as well- Bear Grylls versus Les Stroud...

On the one hand we have a sensationalist with good tools that he rarely uses, and on the other hand we have a proper survivalist that rents his name up to whomever comes to his door with a spare dollar or two.   :facepalm:

This causes a lot of strife in our house because Megan is a huge fan of Les Stroud and I lost an awful lot of respect for him after seeing his Camillus branded tools.  I mean, it's not like they are good designs that are manufactured like crap (Taylor Cutlery, I'm looking at you....  :pok:) it's that absolutely every part of them is utter smurf.  Yeah, all the stuff that comes with them is handy for survival, but I can't help but think that if you are in a store and planning for a survival situation then you'd be better off buying a PLB, satellite phone and some water purification tablets instead of a knife with a length of paracord tied to the sheath.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #165 on: April 24, 2018, 12:49:44 PM

So is Les, and he has used his multi-tool for survival. :multi:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #166 on: April 24, 2018, 12:51:21 PM
I guess that could be an interesting topic as well- Bear Grylls versus Les Stroud...

That was  my very first thought. You comparing the Engage with...  :think:
probably the BG-branded Suspension?

:popcorn:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #167 on: April 24, 2018, 01:00:45 PM

That was  my very first thought. You comparing the Engage with...  :think:
probably the BG-branded Suspension?

:popcorn:

Actually, it's funny you should mention that- I received my first ever Bear Grylls branded multitool yesterday, and guess what?  It's a Suspension.

I'll admit they Bear Grylls line is somewhat over the top- it's hard to argue with the cheese grater for example, but at least there are good things in the line up as well.  I have owned several Bear Grylls Gerber knives and handled even more and they were all quite good.  I have handled a few of the Les Stroud knives, and they were all absolute crap.  Poor design and even worse execution- I don't care how many dump trucks full of money they park out front of my house, I wouldn't put my name on that crap, and I at least have the decency to admit that I am a whore, and my "brand" isn't nearly as valuable as Les' was.

As for the Suspension, yes, it is a terrible tool, but it is actually not as bad as it was.  After many quality problems, the Suspension at least seems to have stabilized into being a functional tool that doesn't break the first time you use it.  Gerber actually suffered that problem with a lot of their imported "big box store" tools in that timeframe- for example, for an anniversary celebration years ago Gerber had sent us a bunch of things, including a bunch of Crucials, and one was broken while still in the package.   :facepalm:

I'll never say the Suspension is a good tool, but I will say that if we are being honest, it's not as bad now as it was initially.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #168 on: April 24, 2018, 04:51:40 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline twiliter

Reply #169 on: April 24, 2018, 04:54:17 PM
Isn't that a fast food joint in North Dakota?

I think they have buffalo wings too, whatever that is.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:03:41 PM by twiliter »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #170 on: April 24, 2018, 05:06:10 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Notice even Les isn't carrying one of his own monstrosities....

And given that both his sweater and vest (and more importantly, the Columbia logos on both) are clearly visible I have to wonder if that's yet another endorsement photo.  I hope Columbia did a better job than Camillus did....  :facepalm:

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #171 on: April 24, 2018, 05:11:15 PM
I still prefer him over Bear. In every show I've seen, Bear's "advice"/example is always worse...

:o :o

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #172 on: April 24, 2018, 05:19:15 PM
I'm not arguing about their skills.... I am just talking about the products that have their names on them.

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #173 on: April 24, 2018, 05:27:35 PM
There are only a few brands I would endorse.  Assuming I'm not starving and desperate for money of course

Victorinox
Leatherman
Granfors bruks axes
Fallkniven fixed blades
Condor machetes
Bic lighters
Zebralight
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:28:57 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #174 on: April 24, 2018, 05:40:12 PM
I have my own list as well, although mine is a lot longer, with a lot of degrees, as in, I would endorse this company for this much $$, this company for $$$, this company for $$$$$$$ and so on.

I'm not against selling out, I am against selling out cheaply.  :P

Def

Offline stugumby

Reply #175 on: April 24, 2018, 11:05:21 PM
Hmm Schrade tough tool. hopefully they will warranty repair mine, who knows.
Leatherman leap,, needs metal handles? every blade/tool is too short
swisstech.....

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #176 on: April 25, 2018, 04:20:07 PM
I would say the worst for me is the SOG Reactor.. Blade feels like its going to snap on first use.. Pliers points in the weirdest angle.. The material used feels more plastic than my son's toys...  :facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #177 on: April 26, 2018, 12:50:50 PM
There are only a few brands I would endorse.  Assuming I'm not starving and desperate for money of course

Victorinox
Leatherman
Granfors bruks axes
Fallkniven fixed blades
Condor machetes
Bic lighters
Zebralight

Dude, really?!

:pok: :pok:

Show content
You forgot MTo!

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #178 on: April 26, 2018, 12:54:29 PM
I would say the worst for me is the SOG Reactor.. Blade feels like its going to snap on first use.. Pliers points in the weirdest angle.. The material used feels more plastic than my son's toys...  :facepalm:

I actually really like the Reactor.  Yeah, there are a few quality issues, but I like that it is compact and reasonably useful. 

Def

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #179 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:58 PM

I actually really like the Reactor.  Yeah, there are a few quality issues, but I like that it is compact and reasonably useful. 

Def

Isn't the PowerPint about the same size? But with more tools.
That could also be a race. New Suspension vs PowerPint. Or PowerPint vs Truss, if the prices are closer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%