Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the worst?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What's the worst?
Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 02:22:21 PM
Second worst LM?  Micra.  Floppy scissors, silly little inside-only tools, crappy tweezers.  Weighs a ton and does nothing better than a Rambler. :twak:

Wave... Farmer... and the Micra!?!?!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:24:10 PM by Fuzzbucket »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 02:24:08 PM
Second worst LM?  Micra.  Floppy scissors, silly little inside-only tools, crappy tweezers.  Weighs a ton and does nothing better than a Rambler. :twak:

Wave... Farmer... and the Micra!?!?!

(Image removed from quote.)
Leave it Fuzzy...............
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 02:29:26 PM
Worst LM?  Wave.  No awl, too many blades, uncomfortable to hold, rubbish scissors, stupid little eyeglass driver.
You just wait until you start wearing glasses, then let us know how stupid it is. :pok: :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 02:30:58 PM
This thread is like chickens jumping into a wood chipper. Ruffle them feathers. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 02:32:50 PM
Worst LM?  Wave.  No awl, too many blades, uncomfortable to hold, rubbish scissors, stupid little eyeglass driver.
You just wait until you start wearing glasses, then let us know how stupid it is. :pok: :D

Yeah...!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:29 PM
He already does. It's why Sparky can't tell us apart. Old cogger.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 02:56:18 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline gregpost

Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 04:44:13 PM
Leatherman:
The Skeletool is uncomfortable to hold in the hand, doesn't offer enough utility and is just kinda ugly. I also dislike the Rev for purposely gimping a good design platform to build on (Wingman/Sidekick) instead of improving it.

Gerber:
For me, everything made by Gerber is the worst. Everything I tried has felt like junk or a gimmick.

Victorinox:
No complaints here.

SOG:
I like SOG pliers frame and the gear multiplier on the older tools, the blades are pretty good. But every SOG model I've used has absolutely low quality tools. Using Victorinox and Leatherman tools give you a certain expectations of the tools and their actual usefulness. Sog tools fall way short. They hold back what could be some great multitools.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 07:00:13 PM
Dime

Powerduo

Own and use/used both of them

Any sterling silver SAKs are also too pretty to use
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline gregpost

Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 07:29:32 PM
Swiss Bricks is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Thanks for posting Chako, had a good laugh.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 07:35:09 PM
Anything from Protocol. The MSRP on those that I bought for $10 at a Tuesday Morning was like $30.  The fold-out pliers were too weak and the jaws started twisting with light jobs a PST would handle with no trouble. The blades were butter steel I couldn't get a good edge on, and the drivers didn't really function. Honorable mention goes to the Imperial Apex and Tradesman butterfly MTs--nothing on them worked, compared to the Irish Imperial knives I have--which are all great.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 08:06:29 PM
Any sterling silver SAKs are also too pretty to use

Lol... my sterling silver Minichamp mod is ond if my most used tools. Arguably I never take it out of the house, definitely not shying away from using it (in my shelf full of Classics I alwsys pick the sterling silver champ up...).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 01:52:29 PM
many have been said but...

LM "half-juice" series and most of their overpriced one piece tools, the Rev, the Freestyle and probably the Tread, the Signal seems like an unnecessary gimmick to me but I guess many folks see it useful and worth it  :think:
I doubt I'll ver have, get or gift one of the above

Gerber Bear Grylls and "Survival" stuff, maybe not junk but definitely overpriced and overhyped. Their Chinese MTs can be a true hit or miss (Dime, had 3 now 0 and couldn't be happier. Clutch, Splice are similar scheme), Steady and Suspension, and some of the oddities they've put throughout the years (Nautilus anyone?  ???)

Vic and Wenger overpricing of Limited Editions, and some odd things like the Wenger Business Tool and the aforementioned Swiss-Bricks, all overpriced and unnecessary and short-lived for a reason  :P

SOG's implement quality and QC failures/bad designs. They have the best plier heads and smoothes action but put garbage inside their handles,
and their tools have serious (and sometimes dangerous) gimmicks (assists, locks...) and failures
No need to mention the Powerduo here and some of their One Piece Tools (and the 50 SOG writings and wordings in all their stuff)

Some tools from CRKT that had potential but were forced to failure

Most gun branded multitools (Smith&Wesson, Browning, etc.) and their prices
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 02:02:27 PM
The Taylor Brands Schrade Tough Tool is also something I will not get. I love my USA Schrade Tough Tool, and if I had two, I'd use one.
But the new ones, they're pretty bad.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 06:56:31 PM

I have owned 3 Leatherman Waves, and a Fuse with the same scissors as the new Wave, and in each case, they have been some of the best scissors I've ever had. And I'm left handed.

They cut soft material well, they cut thick and fiberous material well, and they even cut heavy plastic well. So...  :think:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 07:13:52 PM

I have owned 3 Leatherman Waves, and a Fuse with the same scissors as the new Wave, and in each case, they have been some of the best scissors I've ever had. And I'm left handed.

They cut soft material well, they cut thick and fiberous material well, and they even cut heavy plastic well. So...  :think:

+1 love them LM scissors  :dd:
Substituted the rubbish scissors on my SOG with them, much much better  :salute: (top left in pic)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 07:29:54 PM

Worst Leatherman
Original Super Tool : take a tool that bites into your hand when you grip it tight and make it bigger. So it bites you more.
Oh and then add a lock that you cant undo if you open all the tools on one side.

Worst Victorinox
Electrician : Remove the can opened and Philips driver from the awesome opener duo and replace it with a little blade.
Come on.

us Offline gregpost

Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 07:30:07 PM
Leatherman makes perfectly serviceable scissors. I think Victorinox and Wenger scissors are better in some models. The Surge scissors is excellent though but it's a very large tool. The worst scissor that Vic makes is on the Spirit, the design of that one is poor even if the scissor cuts well. The cutting area is way too small an area and opening for a tool of that size.

Still dreaming of Wave/Charge size with an outside slot for some cool redesigned Surge style scissors. That would be optimal.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:31:14 PM by gregpost »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 02:52:43 AM
Leatherman makes perfectly serviceable scissors. I think Victorinox and Wenger scissors are better in some models. The Surge scissors is excellent though but it's a very large tool. The worst scissor that Vic makes is on the Spirit, the design of that one is poor even if the scissor cuts well. The cutting area is way too small an area and opening for a tool of that size.
Still dreaming of Wave/Charge size with an outside slot for some cool redesigned Surge style scissors. That would be optimal.

Yes, please  :gimme:

The Surge scissors are awesome.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 03:14:04 AM
I don't understand the Flair being in this thread, because the only thing worse than the Vic combo tool is every single LM can opener and cap lifter except the Flair, and it has a functional corkscrew and nifty fork to boot! Who needs a hobo knife! :P

us Offline twiliter

Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 03:16:40 AM
Glad I'm totally disinterested in the Micra now, I was curious for a while, thanks H.  :D

us Offline twiliter

Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 03:18:46 AM
Not sure I agree about the limited edition Vics either, but then again I use mine!  :P

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 03:36:01 AM
I don't understand the Flair being in this thread, because the only thing worse than the Vic combo tool is every single LM can opener and cap lifter except the Flair, and it has a functional corkscrew and nifty fork to boot! Who needs a hobo knife! :P

Must be why it is LM's best seller and everyone's favorite MT. Oh wait... :pok:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 07:02:00 AM
I'll vote for the Freestyle. The Skeletool is basic but at least provides function for it's minimalism. The Freestyle takes it too far though.

I'd also mention the SAK's with USB stick. In principle it's a good idea but the weight hanging off a usb port isn't going to be good for it and the thing guarantees to be obsolete within a couple of years.

An interesting fail I recently found was the Victorinox nail clippers. They look great, pack nice and small for travel but require far too much leverage to actually cut anything, you have to push the lever almost all the way down which isn't comfortable to do. Really wasn't impressed.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:39 AM
Vise-Grip multi-pliers,  all three versions.  I own all of them, but the backward opening knife and the non-locking screwdriver make them dangerous to use and a huge fail for a major tool company.  :facepalm:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 07:58:44 AM
I'll vote for the Freestyle. The Skeletool is basic but at least provides function for it's minimalism. The Freestyle takes it too far though.

I'd also mention the SAK's with USB stick. In principle it's a good idea but the weight hanging off a usb port isn't going to be good for it and the thing guarantees to be obsolete within a couple of years.

An interesting fail I recently found was the Victorinox nail clippers. They look great, pack nice and small for travel but require far too much leverage to actually cut anything, you have to push the lever almost all the way down which isn't comfortable to do. Really wasn't impressed.

I actually find the freestyle very comfortable to use. Yes it just have a knife and a pliers. But people have to be aware of this when they go for it. The ergo of it as a knife is pretty nice in the hand. Pliers are ok-ish as a backup.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 12:03:21 PM

Must be why it is LM's best seller and everyone's favorite MT. Oh wait... :pok:

No, that's the Wave, surely that's not mentioned in this thread?  :D

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:51 PM
Glad I'm totally disinterested in the Micra now, I was curious for a while, thanks H.  :D

Many people, myself included, have the exact opposite opinion. I say the Micra is one of the best Leatherman tools in production, and probably the best keychain sized model.

Now get out your wallet  :pok: :pok:  :D

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 01:52:04 PM

I've worn glasses for over 30 years and I think I can count on the fingers of one foot the number of times I've needed to adjust the screws.  Instead of wasting money on pointless multitools you lot should buy decent glasses. :pok:

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #59 on: April 19, 2018, 01:52:35 PM

Glad to be of service twiglet. :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD