Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the worst?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: What's the worst?
Reply #60 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
I don't understand the Flair being in this thread, because the only thing worse than the Vic combo tool is every single LM can opener and cap lifter except the Flair, and it has a functional corkscrew and nifty fork to boot! Who needs a hobo knife! :P

:rofl:
Must be why it is LM's best seller and everyone's favorite MT. Oh wait... :pok:

No, that's the Wave, surely that's not mentioned in this thread?  :D
This  thread has been very interesting and seems to point to a very subjective outcome for each user who posted.
Only common position it seems is the SOG PowerDuo. It'll rip your thumbpad off trying to disengage the locks.   :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 19, 2018, 02:00:31 PM
Worst LM?  Wave.  No awl, too many blades, uncomfortable to hold, rubbish scissors, stupid little eyeglass driver.
You just wait until you start wearing glasses, then let us know how stupid it is. :pok: :D

I've worn glasses for over 30 years and I think I can count on the fingers of one foot the number of times I've needed to adjust the screws.  Instead of wasting money on pointless multitools you lot should buy decent glasses. :pok:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #62 on: April 19, 2018, 02:03:02 PM
Glad I'm totally disinterested in the Micra now, I was curious for a while, thanks H.  :D

Many people, myself included, have the exact opposite opinion. I say the Micra is one of the best Leatherman tools in production, and probably the best keychain sized model.

Now get out your wallet  :pok: :pok:  :D

I've only just got one for the first time ever and I think it's rather lovely - thank you Zoidbergy!  :salute:.... Mags and I - we're still getting the ponies though right?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #63 on: April 19, 2018, 02:04:44 PM
I don't understand the Flair being in this thread, because the only thing worse than the Vic combo tool is every single LM can opener and cap lifter except the Flair, and it has a functional corkscrew and nifty fork to boot! Who needs a hobo knife! :P

Must be why it is LM's best seller and everyone's favorite MT. Oh wait... :pok:

No, that's the Wave, surely that's not mentioned in this thread?  :D

Well...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #64 on: April 19, 2018, 02:07:22 PM
Worst LM?  Wave.  No awl, too many blades, uncomfortable to hold, rubbish scissors, stupid little eyeglass driver.
You just wait until you start wearing glasses, then let us know how stupid it is. :pok: :D

I've worn glasses for over 30 years and I think I can count on the fingers of one foot the number of times I've needed to adjust the screws.  Instead of wasting money on pointless multitools you lot should buy decent glasses. :pok:

(Image removed from quote.)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 02:07:46 PM
Glad I'm totally disinterested in the Micra now, I was curious for a while, thanks H.  :D

Many people, myself included, have the exact opposite opinion. I say the Micra is one of the best Leatherman tools in production, and probably the best keychain sized model.

I've only just got one for the first time ever and I think it's rather lovely - thank you Zoidbergy!  :salute:.... Mags and I - we're still getting the ponies though right?
Well I've had Princess Golden Sparkles for months now Fuzzy - I guess yours hasn't arrived?

Don't worry pal, I mated Princess GS with the Lord of the Eagles and she gave birth to a flock of Horseys with beaks (no wings though) who lay eggs. I'll send you an egg.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 02:12:31 PM

Well I've had Princess Golden Sparkles for months now Fuzzy - I guess yours hasn't arrived?

Don't worry pal, I mated Princess GS with the Lord of the Eagles and she gave birth to a flock of Horseys with beaks (no wings though) who lay eggs. I'll send you an egg.

Thanks Mags - you're the best!!!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #67 on: April 19, 2018, 02:14:44 PM

Don't speak too soon. The eggs are bigger than the postbox opening. I've just mashed the entire flock!  :ahhh

I'm mating Princess GS with a salmon next so her spawn should be easier to post.  :salute:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #68 on: April 19, 2018, 02:20:36 PM

Don't speak too soon. The eggs are bigger than the postbox opening. I've just mashed the entire flock!  :ahhh

I'm mating Princess GS with a salmon next so her spawn should be easier to post.  :salute:

... funny, I was just about to suggest that too!  :2tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #69 on: April 19, 2018, 02:23:50 PM

... funny, I was just about to suggest that too!  :2tu:
Great minds think alike - That's why only you and I could've come up with the Cream of cream of soup idea  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:29:58 PM by magentus »

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: April 19, 2018, 03:10:34 PM
I'll vote for the Freestyle. The Skeletool is basic but at least provides function for it's minimalism. The Freestyle takes it too far though.

I'd also mention the SAK's with USB stick. In principle it's a good idea but the weight hanging off a usb port isn't going to be good for it and the thing guarantees to be obsolete within a couple of years.

An interesting fail I recently found was the Victorinox nail clippers. They look great, pack nice and small for travel but require far too much leverage to actually cut anything, you have to push the lever almost all the way down which isn't comfortable to do. Really wasn't impressed.

Not true... the new Vic USB sticks are removable and replaceable so they will neither drag it down nor be obsolete.

The Vic Nail clippers are just fine... they never failed to cut my hooves... I never had to exert too much force on them... I imagine they are not even made by Vic (they look so much like True Utility and other China ones) but really they work flawlessly... you must have her nails..

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: April 19, 2018, 03:16:27 PM
I'll vote for the Freestyle. The Skeletool is basic but at least provides function for it's minimalism. The Freestyle takes it too far though.

I'd also mention the SAK's with USB stick. In principle it's a good idea but the weight hanging off a usb port isn't going to be good for it and the thing guarantees to be obsolete within a couple of years.

An interesting fail I recently found was the Victorinox nail clippers. They look great, pack nice and small for travel but require far too much leverage to actually cut anything, you have to push the lever almost all the way down which isn't comfortable to do. Really wasn't impressed.

Not true... the new Vic USB sticks are removable and replaceable so they will neither drag it down nor be obsolete.

The Vic Nail clippers are just fine... they never failed to cut my hooves... I never had to exert too much force on them... I imagine they are not even made by Vic (they look so much like True Utility and other China ones) but really they work flawlessly... you must have her nails..

The SAK's with usb sticks are now removable? I didn't know that.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #72 on: April 19, 2018, 04:21:56 PM

I've worn glasses for ... eh... yeah, a little over 30 years myself, and in that time, I've needed to fix screws on them THREE times. And once was the day before yesterday... So, I'm probably good for another... like... ten years?

I 100% agree with not putting a micro screwdriver on a full size tool. Carrying one in the corkscrew of a SAK is fine to me. It's too light to matter, and doesn't take up otherwise valuable real estate. I'd also be 100% fine with a bit for the full size bit holder that was the micro screwdriver heads.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #73 on: April 19, 2018, 05:02:00 PM

So Cream of Pony Caviar will be on the menu soon?  :facepalm:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #74 on: April 19, 2018, 05:05:29 PM

Does it have a fish scaler? I think the Pony-Salmon spawn will eventually need grooming.  :ahhh

us Offline twiliter

Reply #75 on: April 19, 2018, 05:06:04 PM
The ones that don't go through the blender that is.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 06:03:35 PM

...Born free, as free as the wind blows, as free as the grass grows...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:05:19 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 06:12:08 PM

I see your point!
I would do that, except I'm not. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 07:02:37 PM
Anyone ever heard of the "Swissbeat MP3 player"?
No? Exactly my point.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline gregpost

Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 08:22:39 PM
A mini screwdriver is a lot more useful than a can opener. I've literally had to go out of my way to use can openers, just to test them.

Maybe it's different for people who go camping but the can opener is totally useless to me, and only Vic makes one that's always good and thankfully has a flathead screwdriver. In the modern environment a blister pack opener is more useful.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 08:46:21 PM
Anyone ever heard of the "Swissbeat MP3 player"?
No? Exactly my point.

Yes, that is what I store all my yodeling music on.  :P

us Offline twiliter

Reply #81 on: April 19, 2018, 08:50:08 PM

Frightening.  :facepalm:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #82 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:24 PM

But delicious.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #83 on: April 19, 2018, 09:31:04 PM

But delicious.

... and a great source of Omega-3!  :tu:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #84 on: April 19, 2018, 09:36:56 PM

But delicious.

So how big is the caviar, basketball sized?  :ahhh

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #85 on: April 19, 2018, 09:45:06 PM

But delicious.

Dunno yet. I'm having trouble leading Princess Golden Sparkles to water. You know, like the saying.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #86 on: April 19, 2018, 09:47:28 PM

But delicious.

Dunno yet. I'm having trouble leading Princess Golden Sparkles to water. You know, like the saying.
Beating a dead horse? Or the other one?
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #87 on: April 19, 2018, 09:48:39 PM

But delicious.

Lol. Either Nate.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #88 on: April 19, 2018, 09:53:59 PM

But delicious.

Lol. Either Nate.

A horse in the hand is like two fish in a barrel of monkeys, or something very close to that.

I'll get my hat...  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: April 20, 2018, 01:07:24 AM
I don't have a personal pick for worst designed tools, but I will say that the design and release process of bringing something to market is almost impossible to get right the first time.

Any product you know and love is most likely the umpteenth (sounds high, but it is in the teens?) design phase of a product.

Whether the gremlins were sorted out during initial R&D, beta testing, or through multiple series of commercial releases (or all three) varies, but a team of top engineers with all the market research and unlimited money will still struggle to get the right product for the right market with all the right features first time.

I've always applauded CRKT for being willing to test the market with innovative (if not always successful) ideas.

I have less respect for brands that release products that it should seem obvious are poorly, or rushed designs to take advantage of a competitors release or simply cash-grabs. (SOG MACV seems like it might be one of the latter)

It is hard (seems to be random chance as much as anything else) to balance innovation and simplicity in a new design.

There's always someone (not necessarily just the marketing department, some designers are whacky too) that want to add more inane complexity, and there is someone who wants to just release the same product in a different colour.

"Ask the users!" you all cry?

as often as the users don't even know what they want until after they have it and have "tried" it for 6 months, the producers of the item don't even know who the users might be.

(anyone who says "release it in pink to increase sales to women" probably needs to go back to business school)

I just happen to be looking at my wrissmurfch at the moment (Seiko 5, for anyone wandering. Gear Nerds) - Do you know how hard it is to get a decent small size mens analog watch these days? Quite hard, I've found, because designers and marketers have no idea what I want.

Seiko released the "5" in the 60s, and it has not changed a great deal since. (SAKs are in a similar boat, and we all love those)

I've been distracted by some work stuff and forgotten my point.

Anyway, have some sympathy for designers and product engineers, and support those that are doing their best to engage with and support their customers, and also support tried and true designs that are doing what they are intended to do as well today as they were fifty years ago - otherwise some tit in sales and marketing will remove it from the product line.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:09:05 AM by Sea Monster »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD