Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Toilet Paper MultiTool & Knife Storage Solution

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Toilet Paper MultiTool & Knife Storage Solution
on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:58 AM
O.K.
If you're like me, you have tried a lot of things to safely store your knives, multitools, and SAKs. None have proven to be safe (keeping tools from touching/scratching) without actual effort to keep them apart. I personally have tried paper towels to wrap them up. Plastic compartment storage just gets too expensive when storing hundreds of tools. Tackle boxes are pricey and offer limited storage for the money. Tool cabinets are expensive and take up a lot of space. Machinist chests are expensive and the drawers sag with lots of knives/MTs in them. Most storage methods are not stackable. And the stackable methods are expensive.
I generally store my MTs in the sheaths. It gets tiresome taking them out and putting them back up everytime. Also, tools should not be stored in leather sheaths anyway. And we don't need to wear out the sheaths if we aren't carrying the tools. And if you have original boxes/packaging, you don't want to damage that stuff by storing the MTs, knives, or SAKs in the OG box.

I was cleaning out the bathrooms in my house today and started throwing out empty TP rolls. Something dawned on me. These are pretty close to the size needed to store MTs, folding knives, and SAKs.
I thought about putting the rolls vertically in a cheap cardboard box and storing knives/MTs/SAKs in them. They don't touch or rub at all. Turns out it works perfectly.  :tu:
The system can be adapted to same-size cardboard boxes to be stacked up in the closet or under the bed as well. Just make sure the boxes are pretty strong. I have attached pics of what I came up with. Costed nothing to make, as I use TP (save the empty rolls) and order stuff off of Amazon (save boxes). So the materials were laying around anyway. I used my entire SOG collection (minus the Baton) as a demonstration. The rolls can even be flattened to hold something like the Sync II.
Hopefully this isn't a rehashed idea, but it is honestly something I have not seen before. Hopefully this will help some of y'all here on MT.o.  :cheers:
20180416_192556-1.jpeg
* 20180416_192556-1.jpeg (Filesize: 75.27 KB)
20180416_192844-1.jpeg
* 20180416_192844-1.jpeg (Filesize: 82.7 KB)
20180416_194027.jpeg
* 20180416_194027.jpeg (Filesize: 104.59 KB)
20180416_194202.jpeg
* 20180416_194202.jpeg (Filesize: 61.57 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Toilet Paper MultiTool & Knife Storage Solution
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:58:51 AM
Way ahead of you.  Been doing this for some years now and I agree with your assessment.  It works great.  You can also use the TP rolls to store cables for your computers and electronics, labeling the tube so you know what is in it, and preventing all those cables from becoming a tangled birds nest. :cheers: :like:
P1120074.JPG
* P1120074.JPG (Filesize: 154.5 KB)
P1120073.JPG
* P1120073.JPG (Filesize: 167.54 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:57 AM
Way ahead of you.  Been doing this for some years now and I agree with your assessment.  It works great.  You can also use the TP rolls to store cables for your computers and electronics, labeling the tube so you know what is in it, and preventing all those cables from becoming a tangled birds nest. :cheers: :like:
Awesome!
I am looking forward to getting the MTs organized this way. Looks like it works for you, Alan! That is good to know. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:28 AM
Wait. I have to ask, why aren't all of those empty TP rolls going straight in the trash can?  :think:

But yeah, makes sense. GREAT EASTER CUTLERY ship all of their traditional folder knives in what they call "tubes". Similar idea, little heavier construction with lids.  :tu:

multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:17:55 AM
I don't know what inspired gerleatherberman, but in my case I was saving them for crafts or the recycle bin and I got the idea to use them to organize my cables.  That worked so well that I got to thinking what else would fit in them and I thought of using them to keep the knives and MTs divided in a crate.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:41:58 AM
 Great idea to recycle/repurpose those :like: If/when I outgrow my current storage solution I may give this a go :salute: :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:49:58 AM
Wait. I have to ask, why aren't all of those empty TP rolls going straight in the trash can?  :think:
Because they should go on the fire or in the recycling bin.  :pok:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 02:25:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. :cheers:

With pleasantries out of the way, I will honestly answer the question posted by kaput. :rofl:

There are three bathrooms in the house(one is an add-on). Each one uses a similarly sized 2gallon disposal can next to the toilet.
Here is the embarassing part. I only empty them when the contents are flowing over the top (like yesterday) and onto the floor and can't be squished down anymore.  I tend to procrastinate house chores. But, it worked out well.

My house isn't cluttered or messy, but let's just say, it isn't going to get a good housekeeping award. :rofl:

Note: they no longer offer recycling pickup in the neighborhood where I live, so anything that can be saved from the landfill is good. I take extra cardboard boxes I get to work for people buying glasswares. I drink coke zeros a lot, so I save the cans up for the metal recyclers.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 02:35:22 PM
that is a neat idea, I never thought to do it for MTs,  :tu:

what I have been doing for years though is store my flashlights and 18650 batteries in the rolls that come with aluminum foil and wrapping plastic film for the kitchen. They are thicker in the walls but thinner overall, and fit perfectly  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:00 PM
that is a neat idea, I never thought to do it for MTs,  :tu:

what I have been doing for years though is store my flashlights and 18650 batteries in the rolls that come with aluminum foil and wrapping plastic film for the kitchen. They are thicker in the walls but thinner overall, and fit perfectly  :salute:
Now I need to start saving those rolls too. :ahhh
Thank you, TP! :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 02:56:39 PM
I came in here expecting a Toilet Paper MultiTool!  :rant:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 04:10:10 PM
I came in here expecting a Toilet Paper MultiTool!  :rant:

:rofl:

Me too actually ::) :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 04:12:33 PM
Great idea!

Isn't there an ultra rare Vic SAK with a Bathroom soap dispenser key?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 04:17:13 PM
Neat idea. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 04:35:18 PM
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 11:45:04 PM
Can the rolls be moulded into a square shape so there are no gaps between?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:29 AM
When I read the title, the first thing that came to mind was that Wenger with a key to unlock the toilet paper dispensers in public bathrooms. Of course, to me, if I saw it, would seem as if it was some sort of cartridge/shell puller.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 12:19:05 AM
Wait a minute! Where can you get Toilet Paper rolls if you don’t use toilet paper?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 02:45:52 AM

If they were square, they would leave no gaps, that's true, but the gaps themselves form the cushion between each roll.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 03:08:54 AM
indeed they could, but with that much effort, I'd cut lengths of cardboard slotted across to make lots of slots. The TP roll thing is cheap and lazy. Just like me. :cheers:

Wait a minute! Where can you get Toilet Paper rolls if you don’t use toilet paper?

Then you're up poop creek. :rofl:

If they were square, they would leave no gaps, that's true, but the gaps themselves form the cushion between each roll.
Indeed! I hadn't thought about that, but that makes sense! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%