Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Multitool for a Nurse?

Offline Nephron44

Which Multitool for a Nurse?
on: April 17, 2018, 03:06:50 AM
Hello everyone!

I am a long time reader of this forum, but I haven't posted much...I plan to change that!

Anyway, I am a nurse and am also trained as a tactical medic. When I am not at work (hospital), I ALWAYS carry a sturdy folding knife (hospital doesn't allow blades).  However, both at work and at home, I keep finding more and more situations in which I find myself wishing I had a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

I am looking to add a multitool to my EDC in addition to my main folding knife. I would like to also be able to carry this tool at work. I would like to be able to carry this tool in my pocket, with or without a clip, since my scrubs do not have a belt, but have plenty of pockets!

I want the took to have decent pliers, decent screwdrivers (or exchangeable bits), and a VERY small or, even better, nonexistent blade as I will always have my main blade when a knife is allowed. I also want to be able to carry the tool without a sheath...just throw it in my pocket and go.

Models I looked at and absolutely do not want are the leatherman juice, style, micro, and squirt (too small), and the leatherman raptor shears (no pliers or drivers). I also looked at the gerber mp600 bladeless, but I read that the plier head does not lock into the body.

I thought about the bladeless rebar, but the tools do not seem very strong and seem like they will get loose over time and "flop" out when using the pliers.

I also thought a out modding my own, but I don't want to void the warranty, and I don't like the look of the exposed liner locks when outside tools are removed.

I also looked into the Sog Powerlock with customized tools, but it seems like it would open too easily in my pocket.

I'm sorry I'm so picky! Hopefully you experts can help!

I appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Which Multitool for a Nurse?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:30:17 AM
Welcome to MT.o! The best MT site in the world!

MP600 and Rebar are both solid and don't have the issues you mentioned. The rebar has locks, so even loose, the tools stay in the handles. The 600 is great, but not good in the pockets, as the plier tips stick out of the end. The MP600 blunt nose bladeless would work though.

The rebar bladeless is probably the best option I can think of for your needs. Tough, pocketable, and covered by LM's 25year warranty.
The tools will not flop out. That is an issue older MT designs had, but not the Rebar. The drivers are outstanding and easily better than most MTs out there. Nothing weak about the Rebar for most things.  :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:32:10 AM
Well I am off to a bad start......my first thought while reading your post was "a Leatherman Juice!"

But you don't like that idea........so, Rebar?

I think you want something smallish and easy to carry, yet capable. I pocket carried the Rebar for a while and found it pretty easy to carry that way. But, I also carry a SAK with scissors.

The Juice has scissors....... :pok:....just sayin'...... :pok:

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:48:00 AM
Skeletool RX?  :think:

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 03:52:06 AM
I will have to agree, that the knifeless Rebar would be a great option based upon your stipulations.

However, I suspect a normal Rebar would be accepted at hospital, since the unit is a TOOL and not just a knife.  If it is an issue it would not take much to flatten the blades on the plain edge as well as the serrated blade. 

My SnL is a respiratory therapist and carries a Rebar in hospital, son is Fire/Medic and caries a Wave on his medic rotations.

Also, the tools do lock on the Rebar, however they are designed to clump so extracting on gets you two or more, making selection easy to select and tuck not need back into handle. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 03:52:43 AM
Hi Nephron and welcome.

I concur with other suggestions of the Leatherman Rebar, knifeless edition. I've been carrying the regular Rebar (in a sheath) a long time and it is solid. And the tools lock.

However, I will go one step further, since you specifically state you won't do sheath carry. The Leatherman PST II is extremely slim and smooth, and fits well in a pocket. In fact, it's original version was called the POCKET survival tool. Yes, it has a blade (combo of plain edge and serrated), however, in my experience working at a public school district, if you don't pull the blade out, nobody even knows it's there. It is less recognized for what it is than a typical Swiss Army Knife. Carry a Swiss army knife and people know it's a knife. An innocuous knife, but a knife none the less. The PST II is plyers-based, so it doesnt register to most people that there could be a knife in there unles its deployed. Just don't loan it out. Or you could mod it by taking the knife blade out.

It also has a great pair of scissors, some flat screw drivers, a Phillips head screw driver, and a great file. Coarse on one side, diamond on the other. Just a fantastic tool.

The PST II has not been in production since 2004, however, they were manufactured in such numbers that they are readily available on Craigslist, eBay, and even here in the For Sale section for less than $40. Usually $30-35. I picked up two here a couple months ago.

It may be a slight bit rough on the hand when squeezed hard, but if you worked as an army medic, I'm sure that's the least pain you've experienced.  Or use a glove or a shop rag.

It was my first Leatherman and I really like it still.

Leatherman has a 25 year warranty,  but they've been known to handle any tool issues no matter the age.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:54:07 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:02:20 AM
Additionally, the PST II, like most of the old tools, are polished instead of bead blasted, so they have a shinier finish which is easier to clean and is more rust resitant. The number of screwdrivers means you won't likely need driver bits. So, no small bits to fall out onto the floor or into equipment or (God forbid) into a patient.

Fow what it's worth.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:34:59 AM
Welcome to :MTO: and there have already been so many great recommendations so far that I will just add a vote for the Rebar :salute: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:43:27 AM
Welcome to :MTO: and there have already been so many great recommendations so far that I will just add a vote for the Rebar :salute: :like:

+1 welcome  :cheers:

And second the PST II  :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 05:48:50 AM

+1 welcome  :cheers:

And second the PST II  :tu:

I vote PST II too. Or a fuse. Simple and effective without unnecessary stuffs.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 07:04:00 AM
A lot of good suggestions provided already...

I probably would go for the Knifeless Rebar with a dangler attached to the lanyard ring...

And welcome to :MTO:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:51:26 AM
Rebar is certainly a good option, but I'll also throw in a Spirit with an aftermarket pocket clip. It has a knife, but the standard version has that "butter blade" with lack of a scary stabby point. Might not make a difference in knife-free zones (not that a hospital really is, seeing as it's chock full of scalpels) but if you can get away with it the Spirit is a high quality, very versatile option.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 10:18:32 AM
I'm going to go the opposite route to the guys and suggest you do do a mod!

ThundaBeagle suggested the classic PST2,which is super pocketable. I converted two to KSTs...my own bladeless mod,replacing the blade with an awl. It would require getting a PST1 and 2,but eBay is good for donors!

Likewise the old Fuse is for my money a far better tool than the Rebar,and likewise easily modded,although there was a bladeless version.

The old SOG PPP and the Gerber MP400+600 are super easy to mod too!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 11:13:17 AM

ThundaBeagle suggested the classic PST2,which is super pocketable. I converted two to KSTs...my own bladeless mod,replacing the blade with an awl. It would require getting a PST1 and 2,but eBay is good for donors!

Likewise the old Fuse is for my money a far better tool than the Rebar,and likewise easily modded,although there was a bladeless version.

I had always wanted to replace the blades on the PSTs with something else but removing it means it will leave a gapping hole on the handle frame. Doesn't look nice aesthetically, thats what bothering me. Replacing with a saw is a option but I almost never use a saw.. And a saw is also somewhat a blade..

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 06:51:21 PM
Zed works in nursing homes - he may be able to give some practical advice
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 07:07:48 PM
I vote for the bladeless Rebar.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 07:17:06 PM
Funny story, I walked into a high voltage electrical transformer factory that said "No Weapons Allowed", which meant I had to leave my EDC in the car.  Everyone had a folding box cutter (with the knife clipped as to where it was visible), and some of the biggest scissors I'd seen in my life (at least 12" blades) were everywhere. I'm sure my small (sub 3") pocketknife wouldn't be nearly as bad as if those scissors got used as a weapon.

I usually carry an older Pocket Power Plier. I guess because my wallet and such squeezes it in the pocket, it doesn't open. But I'm sure a hasp of some sort to keep it closed could be rigged up. I suggest ditching the partially serrated blade for an electrical wire stripper, which would make it bladeless. Plus, in a custom configuration, with SOGs, the warranty is not voided.

There is also the SwissTech tools and the Sebertool M2 and M3 (which don't have anything but screwdrivers and pliers), but those might be too small for your preferences (but the pliers are quite sturdy, though it's hard to get good leverage with their small size).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:21:00 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 07:20:32 PM
Juice s2  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 08:32:11 PM
I would second the idea of a Skeletool.  Doesn't have to be the RX.  It has the bit driver which to me is awesome when coupled with an extender.   You can use the Leatherman flat bits or standard 1/4inch.  The pliers are good enough for most jobs.  The down side is the blade.  I think if modding is something you would consider maybe removing the blade and adding scissors.  I know you don't want to void the warranty. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 09:15:55 PM
Zed works in nursing homes - he may be able to give some practical advice

I actually work in that field as well, and I used to carry blameless MTs at work. But my work MT since sometime last year has been that funky Outu pliers/scissors tool, because I won't worry much if it gets damaged somehow and it has the basic stuff I often need in my work day. I must admit, it's been performing really well, to the point my overall opinion of it has improved.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:53 PM
 :oops:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:59:01 PM by WoodsDuck »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:02 PM
Would something with a strap cutter be useful?
If only the OHT had a pocket clip....

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 12:08:00 AM

I had always wanted to replace the blades on the PSTs with something else but removing it means it will leave a gapping hole on the handle frame. Doesn't look nice aesthetically, thats what bothering me. Replacing with a saw is a option but I almost never use a saw.. And a saw is also somewhat a blade..

I've added an awl...missing from the PST2
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 01:42:45 PM
I would vote something pocketable and knifeless (either as a factory option or easily modded) so Fuse, Rebar and SOG PPP would be my first votes  ;)

Then the Wingman family (easily de-bladed), PSTII, or other cheap MTs like the OUTU Scissors-Pliers head or the MP Series  :multi:, easy to mod and excellent quality build (and it won't matter if they don't lock closed because they'd be carried in a pocket sheath, caddy or pouch/holder/organiser so they'd remain shut)    :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 02:47:18 AM
I vote for the juice. CS4 in this pic with a modified (reinforced) polycarbonate sheath. This is what I carry under my scrubs as a PA. Note the pager, only an academic institution would still require such "high tech" EDC gear. I'm also a 65DM3.

* IMG_0891.jpg (Filesize: 36.46 KB)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:48:53 AM by pa_strunk »
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 01:02:33 AM
Paging Mr pa_strunk, paging Mr pa_strunk. 

Man I haven't seen one of those in a while.  So far I'm enjoying carrying my CS4.  I am still a little uncertain about the darn flat drivers but so far so good.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 06:24:50 AM
Used to work in a hospital,  and had a strict rule against weapons, including knives. Reason being an irate patient may grab it and hurt themselves or someone else. Every hospital I've visited also have a no weapons sign at their entrances, and even metal detectors on occasion. I'd go for a bladeless type, a Sog, Rebar, Fuse, or MP something.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 05:12:12 PM
Keep it simple....
Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X is the way to go!
Enjoy!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD