Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I may have reach my saturation point.

Aloha · 48 · 2337

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I may have reach my saturation point.
on: April 17, 2018, 06:47:40 PM
I've been going thru my SAKs and MTs giving away some and selling off others.  I am not actively searching for the next item to buy for a collection piece.  Thats long been terminated.  I have one or two items that I'd like to try but there's not that driving force that sends me to the bay of fleas to get it. 

I think at this point I've tried what I needed to try MT wise.  SAK wise I've been trying some that have sat for a while to see if they find a role.  As far as folders, since getting a Dragonfly 2 from Nix I've not wanted another folder.  Well, I actually want a DF2 in H1 now  :whistle:.  I'm not driven however like I once was.  The H1 would be my go to work knife.  The DF2 from Nix is my day off knife.  Since I carry my TTi for work I've got my work blade covered.  At home the smaller DF2 is more than enough.   

Fixed blades, after altering a fixed blade I had sitting for a year or so and looking over the ones I do have, I think I'm good.  There are a few however but I'm not as driven to go get them. 

Not sure when my saturation point or what appears to be my saturation point happened.  I can say that trying many tools over time has lead me here tho.  The accumulation of tools also made it possible to obtain some of my go to tools.  Selling off and trading was a great way to do this.  As far as MTs go, I have a few I'll keep just for the simple fact that they take little space and still are fun to own.  The SAKs I have have been whittled down to about 15.  I'll keep many but some are due for new homes.       
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:07:36 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: I may have reach my saturation point.
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:03:15 PM
You need to get into traditional slipjoints
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:22:04 PM
That is great Aloha :tu: It is nice to find an EDC that works for ones self and I think I would be there as well but I still enjoy swapping things about :salute:  :D

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 09:24:00 PM
So there is a point where one slows down (because I'd never insult you by saying you've stopped). It is nice to see you've found what works excellent for you
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:49 PM
It seems to be the rites of passage here. Your post Aloha sounds very similar to many I've read here over the years.

Although I've never been a user as such, simply because the ideal multitool for me personally was never developed. I love Multi's, especially the early stuff. The modern stuff leaves me cold as all I see are silly cost cutting practices disguised as modern ideas, The result for me is that it's all lost its spark!

I think in the past 12 months I've bought less than I'd have bought in a single month when my buying was at its peak.

My problem is that ALL the manufacturers are using the same tool loadout time after time.....it's become boring, the quality is falling whilst prices keep rising.

We need a new kid on the block to shake the tree!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:43:00 PM
@ Tosh.  I think perhaps you've nailed it.  I always enjoy your thoughts.  Boredom and repetition.  I got a Wave early on and while at the time it was the "cats meow" I did search out other offerings.  I went thru all the so called best of the best and while nice tools my Wave platform was nearest to what I wanted and used.  I modded a Wave to include features I thought were best and I actually love that tool.  I really want to perform the same mods on my TTi. 

MT are going to a compromise when up against regular tools.  I've had some epic fails.  It hasn't left me sour tho.  I'm ok with getting by in certain times with my MT. 

I'm not sure where MTs will head into the future but for now I'm all set.  Collecting was fun.  I would classify myself as obtainer/user.  I do have some that I'll keep.  They are just too cool. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:44:35 PM
So there is a point where one slows down (because I'd never insult you by saying you've stopped). It is nice to see you've found what works excellent for you

Yes I think so.  Stopped?  Not entirely accurate since every once in a while something comes along.  The Signal for instance.  While I wont use mine, its neat.  Lots of good conversation regarding this tool.  Tread as well.  Interesting yet not a tool I'd use. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 09:45:12 PM

I did give them a look.  While I can appreciate them they aren't quite my fancy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 09:47:14 PM
That is great Aloha :tu: It is nice to find an EDC that works for ones self and I think I would be there as well but I still enjoy swapping things about :salute:  :D

I swap out a few tools.  My TTi lives permanently on my work belt.  My Skeletool CX shares days off with my Juice CS4.  Between the handful of SAKs I use they all have a position.   

I think I posted something about familiarity regarding our tools.  I might be old enough to begin to be set in my ways  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 11:26:53 AM
I hear ya Aloha, I haven't bought a MT in a long time, pretty happy with what I got and mostly use Wave or Spirit, my issue is the escalating prices tho, I wouldnt mind a center drive but when you can get a few saks, folders and flashlights for the same price I go for that.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 12:12:37 PM
I can relate to this.

Hiraethus said recently he felt a little flat when his CR Sebenza arrived - it is just a knife at the end of the day and can't do any more than any other decent knife can do. I can totally see what he means.

Since whittling down my MT selection to a few SAKs (mostly modded for my requirements), a couple of MP400's and a small fixed blade, I can't think of anything else I really want or need. I guess some of the excitment has gone but as I was never a collector as such, what I have at present is what will be carried and used regularly.

I have a couple of folders on their way but it's more anticipation I'm feeling than anything else.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 01:57:26 PM
There's usually always something else I want, but I'm happy that things can be sold as well as bought.  Not necessarily 'one in, one out' but over time things fall out of favour and can be moved on.  My collection is a little more focussed than it used to be, and I'm happy with that.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 01:58:11 PM
Hiraethus said recently he felt a little flat when his CR Sebenza arrived - it is just a knife at the end of the day and can't do any more than any other decent knife can do. I can totally see what he means.

I need to write a review of the Sebenza.  I'm still underwhelmed, but getting less so by the day. :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 02:03:02 PM

I need to write a review of the Sebenza.  I'm still underwhelmed, but getting less so by the day. :D
:tu: :popcorn:

I have a Sanrenmu 7010 on the way - I'll review that too. Does your Sebenza have a panther that's been set on fire badge on it?  :facepalm:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 02:06:54 PM
It doesn't. :(  I need a burning panther Sebenza.  I wonder if Knife Art will do an exclusive run?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 02:19:27 PM
They can only say no.

I'd prefer a burning Eagle on mine - I'd pay more than £6 for that.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 03:20:13 PM

Not that I'm in the market for a Sebenza but I'd be very interested in hearing what you've got to say. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 05:58:15 PM
Saturation is temporary. In due time, you will get the hunger again. I have not bought a lot of gear lately, because what I acquired over the years works very well. Still, every once in a while, something comes along that peaks my interest and deserves my hard earned cash. A new knife, a new tool, a new bag...  Once you have the bug, it may slow down, but It really never stops.  :gimme:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 12:50:04 AM
Yes the gear bug has its ebb and flow.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 11:30:51 PM
Yeah I quit once, then someone offered me one at a party and I was hooked again.
No wait that was smoking, wrong addiction.

Seriously Aloha, stay strong, leave this fraternity of like minded people and avert your eyes from the cool knives and multitools that people  take out of their pockets.

No but seriously, at some point you say " what the _____" ?

Personally I am on a moratorium from all further purchases.  ( 2 years, maybe longer ??? , I'm old you see)

But, as stated in a post started by Carl recently,  to others,  have fun and enjoy the journey .

You have to come to "What the _____"?  moment entirely on your own.

My 2 cents, hopefully parts were amusing.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 12:37:37 AM
@Marcellus I fully appreciate all views and yours I especially appreciate.  I'm about two thirds "there" myself age wise.  I've certainly had some fun.  I never amassed a collection beyond my ability to flip them and be made whole or profit.  I especially love giving tools to people.  I think Microbe touched on it with "peak interest".  Not a lot has done that for me.  I set out to acquire certain tools and I do so.  In the mean time I acquired some lights that IMO rendered me uninterested in others.  SAK wise I feel the same.  I've found a few that work in every situation I come across.  I was always a seeker or the best MT rather purely a collector.  That part just happened as a result of accumulation. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 12:02:48 PM
It's not saturation for me, it's frustration and sheer boredom that's killing my multitool lust.
I can't even entertain Victorinox these days, I dislike the brand that much.
Sogs are trying to reinvent themselves but their current offerings are a long way from the Paladins and BlackTips.
Gerber, love the slide out plier heads and the the numerous variations they've brought out over the years, but I utterly detest the inside tools, hate them with a passion.
Wengers gone.....but I still yearn for missing Rangers (Alinghi special Red& Black)
That basically leaves leatherman...
I really could fall in love with the surge or ST300 but that damn plier head kills it for me. Until they release a proper blunt nose head without silly carbide inserts, then I'll continue to look the other way.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 02:14:45 PM
Maybe time for a new hobby Tosh?

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 03:05:44 PM
Maybe time for a new hobby Tosh?

Could be...
But with the light nights now here I'll be too busy with DIY.
No intention of wanting another hobby, I've come to the realisation that most hobbies are expensive, time consuming or demand too much space these days.

Maybe I'll just chill  8)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 03:10:30 PM
I feel I've reached saturation point or maybe it's a mid-life crisis. I've been collecting multitools since 2000 or so and I had 68 the beginning of this month until I had a realization. Collecting doesn't do anything for me other than I get to appreciate tools that are discontinued. Most just sit in a box correcting dust and I continue to use the same tools for daily chores. I decided that if I don't use them or there is no sentimental value then I should let others enjoy them. I've already about cut my horde in half and feel better as a result. I'm more of a user and there really was no reason to hold onto all of it, just couldn't get rid of it. I'm glad I'm lightening the load and I feel I may have a very small group of tools and be happy. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 03:52:08 PM
I'm pretty much there myself. There are still a couple more Mt's I want to get but I like to use what I have and I have a few doubles that I'll probably put up for sale soon. I've moved more towards Traditional folders but even there I'm getting close to saturation and may start selling off some. I have way to many Barlows  :o

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 04:15:41 PM

Yesterday I had a peek at my tools as I often do.  We had some very humid weeks so I thought it'd be best to make sure all was good.  Thankfully all is. 

When I initially typed this out I was experiencing what some collectors go thru.  I still liked my stuff just no urge to keep going down that rabbit hole.  I am very much in that mindset with regards to MTs/SAKs. 

On trips to the fleamarket a few venders that know me by now presented me with their latest MTs to which I waved off.  In times past I would not have left without them. 

The same goes with SAKs.  I see quite a lot but none really get me going.  Now to be fair, if its something awesome I will take it home.  I found a Supertimer so come on  :gimme:

I quoted dks because at the time traditional folders were not my thing  :oops:.  I had a few but they didn't resonate with me for some reason. 

I'm back to say I still feel very much as I did when I posted however I have come home with a few traditional folders since.  I don't buy everything I see like I did with MTs or SAKs.  I also have a desire for interesting fixed blades.  Again, I don't come home with everything. 

I guess like many hobbies I shifted a bit.  Still no where near when I began.   
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 08:16:15 PM
Focus, think well before buying, try to buy items that you like but which will also increase in value (or stay the same) so at least you can make some profit if you decide to sell them.
Give some to friends as presents.

Many of us here are not buying as much as we used to.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 09:39:33 PM
Well, I kinda hope that my feelings like this end soon.
I don't get excited by too much these days.  Could be my age
Could be my brush with the virus, IDK, but I'm definitely not feeling it these days.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 11:18:55 PM
I understand that feeling. It feels as the Swisschamp XXL is the end of all buying, at least for now. The reason I started getting back into SAKs were childhood memories. Had some SAKs then but sadly they are lost in the mist of the past. As a child I would have been very happy with the Champ XLT or XXL...

There's not much left toolwise which I want to buy at the moment. Since 6 years, when I got back into SAKs, this is a first. I am happy with all the tools that I have (about 20).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%