Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets talk about which tools you depend on.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
on: April 17, 2018, 07:43:46 PM
There has been a few threads discussing our go to tools or the tools we'd choose if we only had one choice in each category.   I have a hard time making those choices because I have already narrowed down ( for the most part ) the tools I depend on. 

Here are the tools I have chosen to carry. 
IMG_4857.jpg
* IMG_4857.jpg (Filesize: 244.5 KB)
IMG_4858.jpg
* IMG_4858.jpg (Filesize: 287.23 KB)
IMG_4860.jpg
* IMG_4860.jpg (Filesize: 263.85 KB)
IMG_4861.jpg
* IMG_4861.jpg (Filesize: 259.24 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Lets talk about which tools you depend on.
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:45:39 PM
Over time I've been able to narrow down the tools I like simple by carrying and using the tools I've had in my possession.  While one or two are relatively new carries the majority are tried and true. 
IMG_4862.jpg
* IMG_4862.jpg (Filesize: 219.08 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:42:06 PM
very solid choices in all categories,  :like:

I see that you and I both are following the same path: getting rid of the "bulk "of the collection and not buying more things, only spontaneous impulse buys  :D, and keeping the good and trusted ones in our rotation  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 02:28:36 PM
If I had to I think I could do most of what I need to with these.

I have to have real Cutters,Strippers,CoAx Stripper/Crimper and Punch Down Tools and the rest can be handled if needed by the Spirit X and Cadet as I have found out already.

I have been carrying the Centerdrive for a month or so now and as much as I love it for the Driver and Pliers there are not enough tool choices onboard to get as much done as it needs to to bump the mighty Spirit for me!

Luckily though i can carry more than this and I do too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:33:24 PM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:15:38 PM
very solid choices in all categories,  :like:

I see that you and I both are following the same path: getting rid of the "bulk "of the collection and not buying more things, only spontaneous impulse buys  :D, and keeping the good and trusted ones in our rotation  :salute:

Yes.  While I enjoy many of the tools I had I no longer want to keep the bulk.  As I said some tools I will keep if only for their aesthetic value, like my Kershaw A100 :D.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:20:11 PM
@ezdog.  I agree there are tools the we cannot do without, proper tools that is.  What I began to do was think about how many of the other tools I was using on my MT.  On some MTs only the pliers or knife was used.  It seemed silly to my to carry that MT vs say a dedicated quality plier and good folder.   

If you need a good cutters and strippers theres really only one way to go.  You have some solid tools there.  The MT is good in times you thought the job was done and put away your dedicated tools yet still had your MT on you.  This is exactly why I stopped carrying a full size MT on days off. 

Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:33:59 PM
as you both, when around the house and most heavy duty tasks are done with proper tools.  :ahhh
MT and SAKs and knives are mainly for out of the house. Mostly te tools and blades below get all the merit and are all I need and use regularly  :tu:

and SAKs I rotate them constantly but I'd be good with just the PX and Swisschamp  :salute:

kitchen knives do much cutting at home but for all other things I cut with my folders whenever out of the kitchen  :salute: as it's really fast and convenient
as usual it comes to your uses and will to carry

these are the tools I depend on mostly  :like:  and not really many more, I have few tools compared to most people here

I only have one dedicated vise-grip so I use the A100 and Schrade Vise Grips quite a bit at home instead, where they stay most of the time  :)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gregpost

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 07:47:33 PM
I always carried a 91mm type SAK as a kid. I never looked into what the model was called, never looked at any other options, was very happy with that. It was confiscated from me by the TSA after 9/11. I was so bummed so I looked for another one and then realized they had all different types of models with different tools. So down the rabbitt hole.

I got lucky when Amazon was having a super sale on the Victorinox Ranger and I realized it had most of the tools I was used to using already. I got that and carried it nearly everyday in my pocket for years.

Years later I got a Leatherman Wingman in a Home Depot christmas sale and got bit by the Leatherman bug so I shortly afterwards got a Surge, Wave, Rebar, ST300, Skeletool, etc...
But the funny thing is I carry the Wingman every day, in my watchpocket still. Tried to rotate other things out as the first choice EDC and got annoyed at not having the ease and convenience of the Wingman platform.

Everyday I carry a Leatherman Wingman in my pocket, either the Rebar or ST300 in my backpack, and a Victorinox Delemont Rangergrip with OHO and large sawblade also in the backpack. That and a cellular device are the tools I rely on. Sometimes I try and EDC other items but to be honest they're not used and it's just clutter or prep for the idea I might need it.

I try to see what's out there now but to be honest I think I'm settled on what I like. The multitools I'd like to see in the future are a Wingman with improved pliers head and other improvements but the same format. A Wave/Charge with Surge style format of outside scissors and blade exchanger. And this is probably a fantasy but I'd like to see what Victorinox would do with a Wave style format, if they ever choose to use that design style.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:03:43 PM by gregpost »

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 08:04:15 PM
When possible, I use the Surge kit in my bag.

If not, Steel Talon, Black Cat, Spirit & LD02 are always by my side.
I really believe they are all champions of their categories.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 12:21:21 AM
It is interesting for sure.
I am always looking for ways to go into a service call with as little as possible while still being able to do a useful repair if I need to.
So I carry my usual Skinth loadout with the Spirit X and can really do a whole lot of good damage with just these thngs many times.

Trying the Centerdrive I found that while the Driver and Pliers might be superior to those of the Spirit for me the Centerdrive also does not offer so many other tools that the Spirit does that I also have come to rely on all the time.

So if left to my choices being MT only I would say I already carry this every day.
I could add the Centerdrive for better plier-ing and driving and the rest of the dedicated actual tools to that if needed too.

Which is pretty much what I have as a quick carry bag anyway for service calls!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:23:35 AM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:47 AM
Nice carry Kam.  I really enjoy the simplicity of the LD02.  I have one on my keychain because its proved bullet proof. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:21 AM
@ezdog

Thats a nice carry.  Its nice to have something on person just in case ( work related ).  I've haven't had to go back to the truck in a few years.   Generally I can make due with whats on my belt and pockets.  Ideal?  Probably not but when time is money and quality is not effected then why not! 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 12:51:31 AM
@ezdog

Thats a nice carry.  Its nice to have something on person just in case ( work related ).  I've haven't had to go back to the truck in a few years.   Generally I can make due with whats on my belt and pockets.  Ideal?  Probably not but when time is money and quality is not effected then why not!

Yep that is the idea at least!
Many times it is enough but many times it is not too and so I have various intermediate sized bags to increase capability based on what I think might be going on.
I carry a tiny HD Monitor and HD Cables. a Meter and Toner Set along with some real tools and connectors in a small Veto bag as the next size.

And then it steps up from there until the whole Sprinter in in use!
Mwhaaaa!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:00:48 AM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 12:55:49 AM
I've been watching some videos of This Old House.  It neat to see Tom Silva carry a Spirit on his belt.  A man with presumably all the fun tool at his disposal.  If I am recalling correctly I also saw another guy on the show with a Spirit on his belt as well.  It was really neat to see guy who make their living using quality proper tools carry a Spirit.  Goes to show these guy can depend on it and have chosen it for its quality.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 01:03:29 AM
I've been watching some videos of This Old House.  It neat to see Tom Silva carry a Spirit on his belt.  A man with presumably all the fun tool at his disposal.  If I am recalling correctly I also saw another guy on the show with a Spirit on his belt as well.  It was really neat to see guy who make their living using quality proper tools carry a Spirit.  Goes to show these guy can depend on it and have chosen it for its quality.   

I have actually noticed him using it a time or two as well :tu: :like:

I mostly carry a pocket ruler these days so if I have to have a knife, screwdriver or anything of that nature my SAK and MT suppliment that :salute: I do have a bag full of tools that don't get used near enough anymore though :facepalm: :D

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:31 AM
That is cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69