Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What to do with wrecked MTs?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
What to do with wrecked MTs?
on: April 18, 2018, 07:04:05 AM
I would like to ask y'all for some opinions!
A friend of mine gifted me an original Bear Jaws MT. And you can see why it was given to me from the pictures. I would not have bought an MT in such disrepair. But, he didn't want to just toss it. So, he figured I could bring it back to life. This one is beyond my skills I'm afraid. :facepalm:
The pliers are trashed with most of the teeth completely flattened. Lots of play. Cutters marred up. Handles "modified" for minimal splay (they touch when you squeeze). The tools are not in terrible shape though(I can wire wheel the rust/corrosion off of them). I can reprofile the phillips and touch up the serrated blade. The file looks like new and the main blade looks good, but has "reconditioned" stamped on it. All eight screw heads are stripped and not reusable.
My questions are:
What would you do with it?
Should I call Bear and ask if they can "rework" it for a charge?
Keep it for parts in the event I get another Bear Jaws with broken drivers/blades?
I would appreciate any input regarding this one!
20180417_234650.jpeg
* 20180417_234650.jpeg (Filesize: 61.62 KB)
20180417_234710.jpeg
* 20180417_234710.jpeg (Filesize: 66.62 KB)
20180417_234902.jpeg
* 20180417_234902.jpeg (Filesize: 73.82 KB)
20180417_234236-1.jpeg
* 20180417_234236-1.jpeg (Filesize: 90.78 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: What to do with wrecked MTs?
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:12:54 AM
Sadly, there comes a time when I think MTs come to the end of their life, at least as complete tools. I think, honestly, at this point your best option is to tear it apart, reclaim the good components, clean them up and either keep them for later repair or sell them off to folks who need to make repairs themselves.

I honestly don't think Bear is going to refurb it for a fee, since the damage seems pretty major, and some of it (the handle splay 'fix') is intentional.

alternately, try to get the parts to refurb it yourself. Screws and plier head. Anything else really needed? Was the handle splay adjustment done to the plier head or the handles?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:22:29 AM
I think the warranty might have been voided by modding the handles.  :think:
You could ask Bear and Son. Who knows, you might get something out of it.
I'd say, fix what you can, maybe get new screws for it, and keep it. You might find another with a better plier head but broken blades or something.

You might be able to put Leatherman parts in there. pliers, Phillips, blades.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 07:41:12 AM
Thank you, Lynn and RP! :cheers:

I'll give Bear a call in the morning. I think y'all are right though, the modification basically ruined the plier/handle portion of the tool. I have a couple of generic plier heads laying around. Maybe one could be finessed/modded to fit. :salute:
The pivots are another issue. Although, with a non-Bear plier head, I wouldn't mind cutting slots into the pivot screw heads and trying to use them for a beater tool.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:12:43 AM
I agree that warranty may have already been void... I would just hang on to it as a display item or if a good donor will come up in the future...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:24:15 PM
now that I've upgraded to quality tools (Leatherman, SOG, Gerber and Vic) I've found a purpose for tools that are too bad or damaged to

a. gift or give away to somebody you care for  :D
b. sell or trade for a profit   :-\
c. send for repairs (not worth the $, crappy company or warranty, etc.)  :P

depending on what does/doesn't work on them and the type of tool they are (pliers based or SAK style) I do a few things with them:

a. carry them to airports, train trips and long stays out of house. If they are confiscated, lost or broken then well, no problem. If they don't, they can give decent usability and can be used for certain things  :whistle:
b. dismantle them for parts, future repairs and mods (AKA "cannibalising")  :gimme:
c. stash them in places where they could be useful as a backup for my on-person carry (vehicle glovebox, toolbox, family's houses, basement (where they could rust or degrade quickly), FAK and bags, etc.)
d. have fun and use them deliberately for abusive tasks, to see how far they get (for instance using the blade as a chisel, the screwdrivers as prybars, awls, punches, the pliers to hold burning things or getting them red hot while heating other stuff and getting a grip on it...)  :ahhh

all the knives and tools in the pics above  fill that niche and category (save the PX!) :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 01:18:28 AM
Keep the good parts toss the rest. You might need the parts later on or someone else.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 02:09:54 AM
I agree that warranty may have already been void... I would just hang on to it as a display item or if a good donor will come up in the future...
Thanks, jaya! :cheers:

Keep the good parts toss the rest. You might need the parts later on or someone else.

Thanks, Steve! :cheers:

now that I've upgraded to quality tools (Leatherman, SOG, Gerber and Vic) I've found a purpose for tools that are too bad or damaged to

a. gift or give away to somebody you care for  :D
b. sell or trade for a profit   :-\
c. send for repairs (not worth the $, crappy company or warranty, etc.)  :P

(Image removed from quote.)

depending on what does/doesn't work on them and the type of tool they are (pliers based or SAK style) I do a few things with them:

a. carry them to airports, train trips and long stays out of house. If they are confiscated, lost or broken then well, no problem. If they don't, they can give decent usability and can be used for certain things  :whistle:
b. dismantle them for parts, future repairs and mods (AKA "cannibalising")  :gimme:
c. stash them in places where they could be useful as a backup for my on-person carry (vehicle glovebox, toolbox, family's houses, basement (where they could rust or degrade quickly), FAK and bags, etc.)
d. have fun and use them deliberately for abusive tasks, to see how far they get (for instance using the blade as a chisel, the screwdrivers as prybars, awls, punches, the pliers to hold burning things or getting them red hot while heating other stuff and getting a grip on it...)  :ahhh

all the knives and tools in the pics above  fill that niche and category (save the PX!) :salute:

Thank you for the great recommendations and ideas, TP!
I called Bear and they said they would look at it to see if it can be fixed, but told me it was unlikely they'd be able to fix it. And it costs $15 round trip for shipping, so I'll pass on trying that. I'll just hold onto it for now and wait to see if another tool comes along to combine with this one to make one good tool.  :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 12:58:25 PM
It's really comforting to hear that they are still willing to have a look at the tool, knowing its being modified and the condition its in.  :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 01:43:48 PM
It's really comforting to hear that they are still willing to have a look at the tool, knowing its being modified and the condition its in.  :like:
Indeed it is. Thank you!

They probably have my name on file, since I have ordered a bunch of tools from them and had a Super Bear Jaws worked on once(had handle issue where locks didn't engage). :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:49:50 AM
Glad to hear they were willing to look at the tool :like: I agree with not sending it for that price though :-\ I would also throw in a vote for taking it apart and salvaging parts :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 03:30:09 PM
Thank you, Poncho!  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 10:13:21 PM
Yeaterday I got crazy with the broken modded Bear. Took it to a buddy's house and had him fill in the cut out mod on the handles with his welder. Used anoter Bear as a template and filed out the new openings. Then ground and sanded the bolsters flat on the inside and outside.
Peened the plier plivot to remove play. Ground and sanded plier head. Then used triangle file to make new fine teeth in the jaws. Sharpened the cutters. Cleaned up the screw heads with tiny metal chisel. Rethreaded the pins and smoothed the surfaces. Wire wheeled all the tools and sanded the backs dowb. Then polished it up a bit. Four hours of work and it is now usable. :woohoo:

Was it worth it? Not really, but I needed to see if it was doable. :ahhh
20180424_104030-1.jpeg
* 20180424_104030-1.jpeg (Filesize: 128.6 KB)
20180424_113416-1.jpeg
* 20180424_113416-1.jpeg (Filesize: 90.72 KB)
20180424_121918-1.jpeg
* 20180424_121918-1.jpeg (Filesize: 202.44 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 10:14:46 PM
After all the work. Not perfect. But looks o.k.
20180424_122738.jpeg
* 20180424_122738.jpeg (Filesize: 69.63 KB)
20180424_142418-1.jpg
* 20180424_142418-1.jpg (Filesize: 86.93 KB)
20180424_142512-1.jpeg
* 20180424_142512-1.jpeg (Filesize: 59.19 KB)
20180424_142639-2.jpeg
* 20180424_142639-2.jpeg (Filesize: 164.91 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:26 PM
Good job!  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:22 PM
Excellent job on the rehab !!!!    :cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:19 AM
That's INSANE!

Well... done... SIR!  :salute:

I'd have let the poor thing rust in a junk drawer.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 02:53:16 AM
Thank you, Syncop8r, Steve and Lynn!

Lynn,
I almost gave up on it a few times, but OCD pulled me through. :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 03:45:52 AM
Awesome job on that MT GLBM :salute: :like: :like:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 04:17:45 AM
 :tu:

That solves the original thread I assume - alll wrecked MTs should be sent to gerleatherberman for rehab and oil massage. :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 05:08:49 AM
Awesome job on that MT GLBM :salute: :like: :like:
Thank you, Poncho! :cheers:

:tu:

That solves the original thread I assume - alll wrecked MTs should be sent to gerleatherberman for rehab and oil massage. :D
:rofl:

That Bear Jaws got the happy ending. :facepalm:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 05:40:07 AM

Well.. that's uhh... GOOD? I Guess? :D

I intend to completely ignore the 'happy ending' statement above. Just... gonna... UNSEE that... yep...  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 06:10:31 AM

Well.. that's uhh... GOOD? I Guess? :D

I intend to completely ignore the 'happy ending' statement above. Just... gonna... UNSEE that... yep...  :rofl:
:rofl:

On the plus side, I am really enjoying the Craftsman Bear Jaws. I didn't even have to take it to the spa. So nice when that happens. :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 09:16:45 AM

I disagree.  :D It was so worth it. :hatsoff:
Fantastic job, it looks amazing.  :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 10:30:46 AM
Another MT going to MT heaven! Amen! That's really well done! I too would have broken it down for parts.. After seeing what was done to the frame for the splay...  :salute:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 11:47:57 AM

Wow, that would be an amazing superpower to have! I have lots that need unseeing.

I'm working on a bad memory though, that seems to help too. (I'm not sure because I don't remember what I've forgotten).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 11:56:17 AM
OCD always wins in the end  :D

that is a really nice SPA treatment, that gave the tool quite a few more years of useable lifetime  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 02:48:52 PM
Now that you have a Bear Jaws I guess we are going to have to change your name to gerleatherbearman!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 06:34:30 PM

I disagree.  :D It was so worth it. :hatsoff:
Fantastic job, it looks amazing.  :like:
Thank you, ReamerPunch! :cheers:

Wow, that would be an amazing superpower to have! I have lots that need unseeing.

I'm working on a bad memory though, that seems to help too. (I'm not sure because I don't remember what I've forgotten).
I just keep buying multitools to help forget the bad stuff. :rofl:

OCD always wins in the end  :D

that is a really nice SPA treatment, that gave the tool quite a few more years of useable lifetime  :tu:

Thank you, TP! :cheers:

I am hoping this one encourages me to carry and use a Bear Jaws. Quite a nice ols school tool. :)

Now that you have a Bear Jaws I guess we are going to have to change your name to gerleatherbearman!

Def
:rofl: Oh man, that is awesome.  :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 12:35:40 PM
I'm glad that you  managed to refurb this one.  I really like Bear Jaws tools, as they are US made, the quality is good, the price isn't insane, and they are also one of the few that can pull off a high polished finish while still being rugged feeling and looking.  They can be a bit bulky and awkward, especially with the locking levers sticking out, but they ate sturdy and stand up to just about anything.

I really wish the folks at Bear liked their multitools as much as I do!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%