Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can I put a new SAK in these scales?

us Offline MedusaOblongata

Can I put a new SAK in these scales?
on: April 18, 2018, 09:57:20 AM
My lovely girlfriend just returned from a work trip to New Zealand. She bought me this wood handled "sak" with my name on it.

I really like the look of these wood scales, but the knife is cheap chinese junk. I'd like to buy a nice SAK and just put these scales on it. She's not likely to notice the difference, and I could probably explain it away if she did, but then I'd be able to carry and use it. The scales measure 89.4mm. The scales appear to be glued on. Hopefully I'd be able to remove them by using a razor blade.

Is this something that could be done?
Which models would fit?

Thank you.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Can I put a new SAK in these scales?
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:03:50 AM
Lovely thought from your girlfriend there  :tu:

Unfortunately, the scales will probably not transfer onto an official SAK. Both sides have the corkscrew cut-out whreas a SAK only has one scale with the cut-out.

Also, it's unlikely the pins will line up properly, and at 89.4mm they are 1.6mm short of the 91mm range.  :ahhh

Maybe just keep it as a thoughtful gift from someone who loves you  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:57:18 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:39:08 PM
I agree with Magentus, there seems to be a deal breaker south the corkscrew.

About pins: as long as you're fine with glueing the scales on a sak then it's probably no issue as you can measure new holes and drill them yourself.

Lengthwise it should "work" .

I think you should consider Magentus advice to keep it as a loving gift.place it above the fire place, or inside it of she breaks up with you sometime! (sorry, my dark humor)

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 10:10:47 AM
I just found this SAK in a box this evening. Every time I try to use it for something it doesn't work impressively well. It's not doing much good in a spare knife/parts box on a shelf. Would somebody be so kind as to provide a list of SAK models that would fit and I'll figure it out from there?  Thank you.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 11:53:10 AM
I agree with Magentus, there seems to be a deal breaker south the corkscrew.

About pins: as long as you're fine with glueing the scales on a sak then it's probably no issue as you can measure new holes and drill them yourself.

Lengthwise it should "work" .

I think you should consider Magentus advice to keep it as a loving gift.place it above the fire place, or inside it of she breaks up with you sometime! (sorry, my dark humor)

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

You could try to find a piece of wood similar in colour to it and get a small piece to fill the cutout gap.

Whatever you do, good luck! I hope it works out!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 03:14:52 PM
I just found this SAK in a box this evening. Every time I try to use it for something it doesn't work impressively well. It's not doing much good in a spare knife/parts box on a shelf. Would somebody be so kind as to provide a list of SAK models that would fit and I'll figure it out from there?  Thank you.

The problem is that it probably doesn't really fit any SAK in a decent way without a lot of work. It's too short for the 91 mm line and to long for the 84 & 85 mm lines. On top of that it has two cut-outs where all SAK models have one at most. If you're determined it might be possible to reshape them to fit something in the 84 mm range but the trouble with the cut-out remains. To make matters worse the "important side" (i.e. the one with your name on it) is the wrong side for the cut-out, otherwise a solution where you only transfer the named side would have been a possible solution.

The most feasible alternative I can offer other than what pfrsantos just offered is to transplant it onto a Classic (or really any 58 mm knife), that might work but it is going to be a close call and the holes for the pins might be in the way for that to work out. And there wouldn't be much left of the original scale by that point.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 03:20:09 PM
I originally tried to suggest to retro fit it onto the 84/91mm chassis, but FortyTwo is right on the spot--the corkscrew is on the 'wrong' side, so it probably will not be an easy mod.  Maybe doing a cutout and refit onto a wood scale as some form of inlay?  But that's probably easier said than done. :think:

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 11:58:16 AM
Preliminary research suggests the evo evolution delemont 18 or S18 (the model names confuse me) could fit. Does that look right? I want phillips and scissors. I can grind the wood down where it's too long.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 03:01:00 PM
I think they have the same tool selection, the "S" denotes the presence of a locking blade. However, this doesn't solve the problem of having corkscrew cut-outs on both scales mentionned in previous replies.

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 07:47:04 PM
Right. There doesn't seem to be a good solution to that so I might just have to deal with the imperfection of the unused cutout.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD